Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #12841
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FG X, The Last EVER Falcon - Picture & Discussion Thread

Thanks I see what you mean now, with the oil seperators they collect oil and where does the oil go after its collected ?

where did you get them from ?

Awesome looking car as well !!
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #12842
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemihunter View Post
Thanks I see what you mean now, with the oil seperators they collect oil and where does the oil go after its collected ?

where did you get them from ?

Awesome looking car as well !!
The JLT/Herrod oil separators are pretty cool, the lower 2/3 of the body screws into the top section, so you simply unscrew the lower part of the canister and its like a little tube cup.

You can throw away the oil that has been collected, or simply put it back in the top of the motor in the oil insert cap.

I got them from Herrod motorsport in Melbourne, I really liked the design, way it is designed to catch oil, and ease of emptying compared to the other systems around.

Thanks for your compliments on looks- cannot believe that such a feral drive in every respect looks so sedate/conservative and normal.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #12843
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS GRUNT View Post
Yep i agree, when i first went in to a dealer to see an FGX XR, it was the first thing i picked out...can't even fit ya hand under it, an inch or two taller and similar to the fpv gt style would be better.
I agree about the rear wing, trouble is if you put an FPV style wing on it, it would make the rest of the car look odd because it doesn't have a bodykit like the FPV's did.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2015, 02:02 PM   #12844
PTR_NITRO_FG
Boost Cruiser

what's the 'dipping mirrors'? are they the door mirrors that fold in when the car is locked i.e. euro mirrors?

Or is that supposed to be dimming mirrors i.e. like the rear view mirror

Also what's appealing about auto dimming? So that when driving at night you're not blinded by a holes with HID's and what not?

thanks
PTR_NITRO_FG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #12845
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Dipping mirrors drop the wing mirror down to curb level when R is engaged, so you don't rash your wheels while parking etc.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #12846
PTR_NITRO_FG
Boost Cruiser

WTF? that's seems dumb....cause if its dipped to the floor, how would you see the rest of your car/stuff to the left/right of car.

I have blind spot mirrors for that....auto dipping FTL
Old 29-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #12847
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Dipping mirrors are fantastic in my book.

Only the passenger side dips to allow you to automatically see the kerb line or the white line of a parking bay when engaging reverse.

I don’t know how the Ford ones work but with other cars you program how much you want them to dip or you turn the function off if you don’t want them too.

Dipping mirrors have been around for donkeys...
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #12848
PTR_NITRO_FG
Boost Cruiser

hmmm...each to their own I suppose.

Maybe one day I will be fortunate enough to experience this feature in the flesh lol

For now; it still sounds like a weird feature

Thanks guys!
Old 29-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #12849
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTR_NITRO_FG View Post
WTF? that's seems dumb....cause if its dipped to the floor, how would you see the rest of your car/stuff to the left/right of car.

I have blind spot mirrors for that....auto dipping FTL
They're for people who don't realise that the passenger side mirror is also electric...and adjustable
Old 29-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #12850
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
They're for people who don't realise that the passenger side mirror is also electric...and adjustable
And when you pull up and pop the car into reverse to parallel park they save you wasting time fiddling around to adjust the mirror so you can see the kerb line as you back up.

Place the car into reverse and back up straight away, no dilly dallying.
Old 29-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #12851
335JET
@jas_23_

can anyone confirm if the XR8 has different dash spears & different door spears to the XR6 & XR6 turbo.
i noticed today that the XR6 has 2 tone matt black with silver, where as im sure the XR8 has the same two tone spears with silver but the black bit is a carbon fibre look.
335JET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #12852
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Who needs electric adjustable mirrors?

I prefer to lean over to the passenger side, manually roll down the window then extend my hand out and adjust the mirror myself.

That way I know it's done right.

In the olden days it was even better before some high tech guru made it necessary to have to unbuckle my seat belt first.

Technology gone mad for the sake of convenience I say and I’ve heard they now have cars with parking sensors for those that can’t judge distance, when will it ever end?

Next they'll have cameras so you can have your own private TV recording studio wired into your car.
Old 29-05-2015, 07:14 PM   #12853
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTR_NITRO_FG View Post
WTF? that's seems dumb....cause if its dipped to the floor, how would you see the rest of your car/stuff to the left/right of car. ...
It doesn't dip 90 degrees...more like 45-odd (just enough to show you from sightly after the B-pillar back).

Passenger-side mirror only, and goes back to normal position when you take it out of reverse.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2015, 09:57 PM   #12854
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
Who needs electric adjustable mirrors?

I prefer to lean over to the passenger side, manually roll down the window then extend my hand out and adjust the mirror myself.

That way I know it's done right.

In the olden days it was even better before some high tech guru made it necessary to have to unbuckle my seat belt first.

Technology gone mad for the sake of convenience I say and I’ve heard they now have cars with parking sensors for those that can’t judge distance, when will it ever end?

Next they'll have cameras so you can have your own private TV recording studio wired into your car.
Tight spot?? We'll soon be able to get out and park our cars with a smart phone.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2015, 10:36 PM   #12855
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^And steal them via said phone
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2015, 11:19 PM   #12856
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Just for guys that have newly picked up an FGX XR8, a few things that may help some:

1. I picked up the car yesterday with 25 on clock, last night did about 160 km, with the last 35 very spirited. So, I put two JLT/Herrod oil separators on, at the dealer with 25 km from factory. I checked the oil separator cannisters this morning, drivers side had like a large tablespoon full in it from 160 km spirited driving. Non drivers side had like a line 5mm long by 1/3 mm or less in thickness, just like a smear-sweet bugger all.

But, I would recommend when buying new put the oil separator on drivers side-no brainer. This is to me a requirement that should be done to prevent the intake diffusor becoming coated with oil and loosing it's efficiency.

2. Brakes felt doughy and seemed to have too much give with no bite- gave me no confidence. I then did a breaking in session late last night, ie 11 runs of rapid fire accelerate to 100 -hard braking down to 10-15, immediately repeat, doing this some 10-12 times-brakes should be smoking and stinking nicely, then drive at constant speed of some 60 -80 for 30 minutes, then park up for the night.

The brakes now feel much much firmer, solid and high, and have bite.
How do you find the ride?

Anyway, my two tips that may help others.

I guess not all pads would be the same, but you might find that they don't last as long as you expect after that. Years ago I had some pads wear out very quickly after some quite tough treatment just after they were fitted, I'm talking about 5000 k's to wear out. They worked well but didn't last.

I've learnt from that and always treat pads carefully for the first few hundred k's, although I do some slowing down to almost a complete stop early on like you did, but I try to not let them get too hot.

Last edited by 2242100; 29-05-2015 at 11:29 PM.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2015, 12:30 AM   #12857
DannyB
Starter Motor

I'm sure this has been asked before. I have premium sound on my FGX and it isn't loud. Is it me, a Ford thing or a problem?
DannyB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #12858
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dipping mirrors ? why ? if you are taught how to park correctly you should never hit the gutter I know I never had in 40 years of driving
Old 30-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #12859
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
I'm sure this has been asked before. I have premium sound on my FGX and it isn't loud. Is it me, a Ford thing or a problem?
Yeah it's pretty pathetic as far as the volume goes. I can't believe how low its maximum volume is comparedto other makers factory stereo. It's almost like they have no pow amp in the icc or have mismatched the speaker resistance. Surely the icc can push harder than it does. Maybe a 90 year old (no offence) used radio national to set it up. I can here the cries of "its to loud" you long haired hippies.
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #12860
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbo View Post
Maybe a 90 year old (no offence) used radio national to set it up. I can here the cries of "its to loud" you long haired hippies.
I'm not quite there yet, but I still like my music turned up to 11
Old 30-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #12861
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Me too, just a shame the Falcon can only go up to 4
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #12862
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
dipping mirrors ? why ? if you are taught how to park correctly you should never hit the gutter I know I never had in 40 years of driving
I'm fairly sure that you'd have said that ABS and airbags are for idiots that can't drive 20 years ago...?

Last edited by Focused; 30-05-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #12863
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont know if this has been posted.

Last edited by csv8; 09-07-2015 at 09:50 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #12864
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
Don’t you still need a mirror to reverse parallel park or how else do you see how close you are to the kerb?

I haven’t hit a gutter in 20 years because I’m over board about damaging my rims.

I keep the car about a foot and a half from the kerb line and to do that I use my mirror to see where I am in relation to it.

The fact my mirror automatically dips for me is a plus, not essential but a time saving plus.

There are many things in my car I can easily live without as I never bother to used them but the dipping mirror is one of those handy little features that kicks in when I’m reversing and can be easily overridden if necessary.

How do you achieve such actuate parking?
Old 30-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #12865
BrendanSM
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335JET View Post
can anyone confirm if the XR8 has different dash spears & different door spears to the XR6 & XR6 turbo.
i noticed today that the XR6 has 2 tone matt black with silver, where as im sure the XR8 has the same two tone spears with silver but the black bit is a carbon fibre look.
Yes there are 2 different styles in the XR range. The XR8 comes standard with the carbon fibre look, and the XR6 and XR6 turbo have the matt black finish. Though if you option the XR6/XR6 turbo with the luxury pack, you will get the carbon fibre look. I know this as my XR6 has the carbon fibre look only because it has the luxury pack fitted. Hope this makes sense.
BrendanSM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #12866
335JET
@jas_23_

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSM View Post
Yes there are 2 different styles in the XR range. The XR8 comes standard with the carbon fibre look, and the XR6 and XR6 turbo have the matt black finish. Though if you option the XR6/XR6 turbo with the luxury pack, you will get the carbon fibre look. I know this as my XR6 has the carbon fibre look only because it has the luxury pack fitted. Hope this makes sense.
yes definately makes sense now, i thought all XR's were the same which is why i was baffled when i took alook inside a xr6 at a dealer yesterday.
i wish the XR8 also came with all the Piano black plastics, instead of the silver & grey ones, but ive managed to get hold of a few piano black pieces, just need two more bits.
Old 30-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #12867
335JET
@jas_23_

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSM View Post
yes definately makes sense now, i thought all XR's were the same which is why i was baffled when i took alook inside a xr6 at a dealer yesterday.
i wish the XR8 also came with all the Piano black plastics, instead of the silver & grey ones, but ive managed to get hold of a few piano black pieces, just need two more bits.
thanks for the info.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #12868
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
I dont know if this has been posted.
But but but Ford don't advertise the Falcon
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #12869
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
I also found the sound level to quite low. What I have found is if you are using music from a devise, either streamed or connected via cable, the sound is weak. When I loaded a CD into the player, it was like night and day, much more base and volume.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2015, 10:11 PM   #12870
Tbm1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
But but but Ford don't advertise the Falcon
It's probably the side of their office, or somewhere that was very cheap to rent, no way they would spend decent money..... Lol
Tbm1121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post