Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-09-2019, 11:23 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Auto 8 - Worth Bothering with Warranty??

Firstly, really unimpressed with their customer service.
I don't have a lot of time for a company that makes its money selling DIY parts to consumers, but whose first like of defence is to insult me and say I couldn't possibly know what's wrong.

So we bought a cheap POS non-name Chinese Alternator, and somewhat predictably it has failed. However we bought it from Auto 8, whose selling point is there 5-year warranty.

I have spent weeks trying to get this thing working again. I have replaced the battery, and triple-checked that its getting correct field voltage, but nomatter what I do it just can't put out enough to even charge the battery, much less run lights etc.

So I have contacted Auto 8.
Their response (slightly paraphrased):
It couldn't possibly be the alternator, you obviously don't know what you're doing.
But if you insist, you can post it back to us (for about $50~60) and we will "test" it.
Please note that our warranty doesn't cover environmental damage, wear & tear, or anything we can blame on "misuse" or on your vehicle.
Yes we know this sucks, but our warranty is available on our website, so fu.

They also went on to say that it would be better if I simply bought another Alternator from them, and then (in the unlikely event that) if the first one was proven faulty, they would refund the purchase price.
ROFL. Do they actually suck people in with that line?

Its always nice to pleasantly surprised, so I was wondering if anyone had actually been through this process and actually got a satisfactory outcome?

NB: I know they have a outlet in Wanga, and I imagine that like most ****ers when dealing across the counter with a customer who might actually punch them in the mouth, they are less of a ********. But they sell their products nationwide, and so their aftersales service should be similarly extensive.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2019, 11:56 PM   #2
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Auto 8 - Worth Bothering with Warranty??

Don't know why you persist, the best you will get will be a replacement with some type of postage cost added for some crap alternator that you obviously dislike.
Just cut your losses and buy a decent alternator and in future steer clear of purchasing goods from Auto 8.

Cheers
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2019, 12:14 AM   #3
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Take the alt to the local auto electrician and have it tested, then take it from there.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2019, 03:13 AM   #4
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks great on their website: Here is a snippet from their 'About' tab:

"About Us
Auto 8 Pty Ltd is new in the automotive industry but the brand is spreading fast throughout Australia due to very low prices, great quality products and the fact we have experienced personal to help with technical problems. Auto 8 Pty Ltd is 100% Australian owned company

Auto 8 Pty Ltd Co -founders Aaron Plum and Warren Smith established the company due to the rising internet sales of automotive products. With Aaron a qualified automotive mechanic and Warren a qualified automotive electrician joined with a team of automotive industry experts to research problems in the industry, this lead to forming Auto 8. We found that workshops are losing a large amount of sales due to the internet boom, this was mainly driven by prices that workshops cannot compete with and over priced parts.

We aim to provide Australia with high quality automotive parts
and accessories at a low cost and with service and advice to back it up"

Perhaps your posting here with negative experience will help resolve it.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2019, 03:35 AM   #5
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I have spent weeks trying to get this thing working again. I have replaced the battery, and triple-checked that its getting correct field voltage, but nomatter what I do it just can't put out enough to even charge the battery, much less run lights etc.
Hi again,
You mention field voltage. Often when alternators refuse to operate it is due to broken warning lamp, (lack of field voltage prior to start-up).
This article describes it pretty good:
https://alternatorparts.com/understa...ternators.html
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-09-2019, 07:07 AM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...8&postcount=16

Disconnection of the sole battery while the alternator is operating, is highly likely to cause damage to the unit.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

You want me to sort them out for yah Dazz ?

Last edited by roKWiz; 03-09-2019 at 03:40 PM.
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #8
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do they have social media pages...that usually causes Sh** to fly
Old 23-12-2019, 09:05 PM   #9
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

I have bought two alternators from them with no dramas at all.

Another member on here has also bought one from them and yes, while it did break he sent it back and they replaced it within a week or so.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-12-2019, 09:09 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Kogan got into shizer for similar tactics I believe. You send an item back for repair and it's at their discretion if it's your fault or their fault. All the while you have no way of dropping off or collecting the item and then if it's deemed your fault for whatever reason they have you by the balls as they have your item and won't release it till you pay a return postage fee as well as a possible service fee to find the fault you apparently caused.

If you know a local Auto Sparky it would be a good idea to have them test it on the car (if at all possible), and if they use a phrase like 'correctly installed at time of testing' or similar it will also not give the supplier the 'out' by saying the product was faulty because you installed it wrong.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2019, 07:22 AM   #11
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I see nothing wrong with Auto 8, to me, they are a local company trading like anyone else in the online market.
I've been to their (bricks and mortar) retail outlet and seen how they operate with several purchases over the years both truck and car stuff.

There is a shonk in Melbourne selling cr*p chinese parts alternator online.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post