Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-03-2005, 09:40 AM   #121
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Quote:
Also I am planning to eat more regularly, 5 smaller meals a day rather than 3 large ones and two snacks. I gotta get rid of sugar. I don't eat potatoes anymore either
This is part of the key for us also...5 or 6 smaller meals each day. As an example, consider the following:
Breakfast - 2 hard-boiled eggs and some green tea. (A small glass of fruit juice can also be had here).
Mid-morning - Protein shake
Lunch - Grilled piece of chicken maryland (skinless) and some fruit juice. (Also have some cut up lettuce and other vegies if I can be bothered cutting it up)
Mid-afternoon - Protein shake or bar
Tea - Piece of grilled chicken (skinless) or fish (we use Dory a bit), and some vegies (eg. steamed broccoli and/or cauliflower), with some fruit juice and green tea.

This was basically what we had during the weight loss/metabolic adjustment phases - now it's more or less the same, but with a little more flexibility (eg. I substituted some grilled snags for chicken last night).

My wife is glucose intolerant, and thus has to watch her carb intake. This diet works quite well in that respect.

As for vitamins, we take a multivitamin, an E group vitamin, another one whose designation escapes me, and some salmon omega (for the omega 3 oils).

Not going to work for everyone, but some basic principles apply regardless (ie. more and smaller meals, regular intensive exercise etc).

Good luck with your weight-loss (and your knee) Bindi!

Last edited by biased99; 16-03-2005 at 01:05 PM.
biased99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 12:44 PM   #122
masters24
I gots me a UTE

it sucks trying to figure out how much (or how little) i have lost when i dont have a set of scales! Meh, I guess i will have to wait till i get the next pay check...

masters24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 09:53 AM   #123
Donut Queen
Back Seat Driver

Well I've been exercising almost every day since I first posted on here and enjoying it quite a bit. I feel like its getting easier to do and I feel healthier. My skin seems to be glowing more which I think is a good sign I'm getting healthier. My scales haven't noticed much of a change but a) they're cheap crap ones that say something different depending where you stand on them and b) i presume all this exercise is building muscle at first anyway. I went to the doctor and got my height and weight taken there so next time I go back I'll see if there's any change on their scales because I presume they are more accurate. Even if there's not much of a difference yet I do feel better and my goal is just 'slowly but surely'. How is everyone else doing? Even if you're not doing so great let us know because there's sure to be ups and downs along the way, just stick in there!
Donut Queen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 10:57 AM   #124
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

I've barely been doing anything lol but I have been watching what I eat and scrubbing the house.

I am swimming more often and this week I want to make it every day.

Well Done DQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 11:29 AM   #125
Envious
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another update from me
Now down to 101kg, almost broken the ton !!
Down to 101kg from 113kg at the end of november, and i owe it to simply excercising 5 days a week and adjusting my eating habits, no diets...Bring on the double figures !!!!!!!
Old 21-03-2005, 11:11 AM   #126
bindi

Yay Envious!

Your name says it all cos that's what I got when I read how well you'd done.

So now I have WLR (Weight Loss Religion) again

Quote:
Old 21-03-2005, 09:12 PM   #127
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut Queen
Well I've been exercising almost every day since I first posted on here and enjoying it quite a bit. I feel like its getting easier to do and I feel healthier. My skin seems to be glowing more which I think is a good sign I'm getting healthier. My scales haven't noticed much of a change but a) they're cheap crap ones that say something different depending where you stand on them and b) i presume all this exercise is building muscle at first anyway. I went to the doctor and got my height and weight taken there so next time I go back I'll see if there's any change on their scales because I presume they are more accurate. Even if there's not much of a difference yet I do feel better and my goal is just 'slowly but surely'. How is everyone else doing? Even if you're not doing so great let us know because there's sure to be ups and downs along the way, just stick in there!
You might want to go to the Doc and get your body fat content measured. It will probably give you a more accurate indication of how your body is changing. It is good to get it done when you start and see how it changes as you progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong

Last edited by smciner1; 21-03-2005 at 09:15 PM.
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 04:07 PM   #128
bob^
LPS

Something I thought I might add to people reading this is don't cut out foods completely straight away. Thats how you end up craving them. I've gone from 106kg to 84kg in about 9 months-1 year, mainly by limiting the junk food intake, regular excersize, and not eating late. I still have take away maybe once a week at the most, but I have been having a few carbs in the late arvo, as I do my excersize first thing in the morning so I don't have the opportunity to eat before it.
Body fat measurments are quite useful if you also start doing weight training, as you may not have lost weight, but you might have lost a bit of body fat.

Also what someone said about weighing yourself often and then averaging it out is spot on. I know I've lost upto 2kg over a weekend if Ive been out and had a few drinks and really don't feel like eating the next day, but the weight comes back on very quickly.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 12:12 PM   #129
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

hey guys,
great to see the effort. I'm down from 140 kilo to lets see, 95 kilo now. Took 6 months but well worth it. Down from a 46 inch waist to a 33. (45 kilo drop does that)

I just did one thing to loose the initial 38 kilo's. Never go to sleep on a full stomach. Always go for a walk or run about an hour after dinner and wake up and do the same before breakfast. The prior works as well without the latter.

Just some input. Also, eating every 4 hours or so is adequate if you dont intend to train for sport or such. Trick is you dont want to spike your sugar levels.

Anyway, from what I've read, GREAT EFFORT!! Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Kieran.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #130
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Kypez,
That is one hell of a good result! Good for you!
biased99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 02:24 PM   #131
bindi

Kypez that's an amazing weight loss in such a short time. I was discussing with a friend all the things I don't eat anymore in a desperate attempt to lose weight and he said "How do you live?!". I agree, I get so sick of it.

Was there anything else you did to achieve this weight loss or was it just giving up junk food and exercising more?

I am at a loss as to what else to do. I don't eat junk food (I am lucky if I have a bit of pizza every 6 months and I never eat Maccas), I don't drink very much alcohol (once every couple of months), I don't drink softdrink or eat chips/hamburgers/KFC etc, also I am a vegetarian so I don't even eat meat. I eat chocolate every few days and do like a bit of sugar in my tea (and I only have 2 cups a day now), but that's it. If I give up chocolate I might as well slit my wrists cos there's nothing else left to give up.

I am lucky to lose a kilo a month and it is very frustrating. I work really hard and swim every day yet I still don't seem to drop weight fast. I put it on way too easily though.

Anyone else got any ideas as to what else I could do? I am really getting tired of the diet treadmill.

When I see shows like The Biggest Loser, they all are fat cos they eat donuts and pizza and fried chicken etc and never exercise. Well I don't do that, haven't for 5 years, yet I still don't lose weight.

WTF else is there?

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Last edited by bindi; 24-03-2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old 24-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #132
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Hey Bindi you might have a hormone imbalance thats causing the problem of slow weight loss

*please dont hit me* just saying

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 02:54 PM   #133
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

You really need to eat every 3 hrs to get you metabolism working. Im not talking huge snacks !!!
Otherwise have a large beakfast, good lunch & small dinner, or just fruit for dinner.
every hour inbetween have some fruit.
Ive been doin this for 4 weeks exactly now , with just a small walk here & there, Ive lost 6 Kgs!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 06:06 PM   #134
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
Kypez that's an amazing weight loss in such a short time. I was discussing with a friend all the things I don't eat anymore in a desperate attempt to lose weight and he said "How do you live?!". I agree, I get so sick of it.

Was there anything else you did to achieve this weight loss or was it just giving up junk food and exercising more?

I am at a loss as to what else to do. I don't eat junk food (I am lucky if I have a bit of pizza every 6 months and I never eat Maccas), I don't drink very much alcohol (once every couple of months), I don't drink softdrink or eat chips/hamburgers/KFC etc, also I am a vegetarian so I don't even eat meat. I eat chocolate every few days and do like a bit of sugar in my tea (and I only have 2 cups a day now), but that's it. If I give up chocolate I might as well slit my wrists cos there's nothing else left to give up.

I am lucky to lose a kilo a month and it is very frustrating. I work really hard and swim every day yet I still don't seem to drop weight fast. I put it on way too easily though.

Anyone else got any ideas as to what else I could do? I am really getting tired of the diet treadmill.

When I see shows like The Biggest Loser, they all are fat cos they eat donuts and pizza and fried chicken etc and never exercise. Well I don't do that, haven't for 5 years, yet I still don't lose weight.

WTF else is there?

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok... this was my routine to start the weight loss.

No junk food. No soft drinks. Eating atleast 4 meals a day about 4-5 hours apart. Eating a moderate breakfast, good lunch and very very light dinner. This should get your metabolism going. You might gain weight for a little while till your body realises that it is now getting a constant supply of food. But here is the key, Run! Run ever day. No matter what, go for that run after dinner. No weekends off, no excuses. Run for atleast 15 minutes to start and increase to 45-50 minutes after a couple of month. First week, do 15 minutes to get your body used to it (no point going too hard and hurting yourself). Now, week 2, Run till you are tired then keep walking for a total of 30 minutes. If you feel you can run a bit after a short walk, do it... but keep moving for 30 minutes... Keep this up till you feel you can run the 30 minutes non stop (should tke you a couple of months). If you can, wake up and do exactly the same thing before breakfast.

No alcohol or anything carbonated. Yeah, the odd chocolate is ok and tea with sugar, so long as you keep running. Also as I guide, I used to run 1.3kms to start. Now after 6 months I'm doing around 6 to 6 1/2 kms. There is no substitute. No cycling. Also, try mixing it up. Mark out a course which has a decent incline and flat tracks. If you find a good incline, make sure you run as hard as you can up that and if you want walk (to begin with) on the flats.

I know its winter soon and you might feel cold, but think of the big picture and push yourself. I started my routine in winter as well but kept the goal in mind.

Any further questions, dont hesitate to ask.

Hope this is of some help.

Keep up the GREAT work GUYS!!

Kypez.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2005, 09:09 PM   #135
bindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
Hey Bindi you might have a hormone imbalance thats causing the problem of slow weight loss

*please dont hit me* just saying
ing_sm nah not really - I wouldn't do that to you! I got a whole load of tests done last year and they just said my iron was low... no thyroid issue, no hormone issue, no diabetes etc etc etc

Dr gave me a script for Xenical but I have never used it... the side effects seem rather extreme and it's a bit expensive to basically crap myself to death if I eat any fat.

Am considering meal supplements like Optifast or similar for dinner.

But you say running Kypez, well I think I could manage that, I run when I play netball (but stop too fast, hence the torn cartilege in my knee)... just need good joggers - oh, and a really good sports bra or I'm gonna give myself two black eyes :evil_laug

Ta for the tips, I really think WHEN I eat is the issue now, as well as the amount of exercise and timing of exercise... it doesn't help that my mother in law bought us a huge easter egg to share btwn the 5 family members and I just scoffed some right before bedtime lol.

Quote:
Old 30-03-2005, 03:26 PM   #136
Franky
Bring back the Phase

I'm down 10kgs from when I started and i'm not planning to quit until I lose at least another 10-15kg. I havn't really done anything drastic, just kept drinking water and keeping myself busy for a period a day. Now i'm not eating after 8pm and sleeping much earlier so it should be even better soon
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2005, 07:20 PM   #137
Donut Queen
Back Seat Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Racer
I'm down 10kgs from when I started and i'm not planning to quit until I lose at least another 10-15kg. I havn't really done anything drastic, just kept drinking water and keeping myself busy for a period a day. Now i'm not eating after 8pm and sleeping much earlier so it should be even better soon

That's awesome Devil Racer! Congratulations! Easter is bad for the waistline in my house :( lol
Old 30-03-2005, 10:31 PM   #138
XR6Gal
Just Super Happy now :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut Queen
That's awesome Devil Racer! Congratulations! Easter is bad for the waistline in my house :( lol
I know what you mean and having my birthday on the same day, I've been so bad lately!! Havent put on weight, but haven't lost any more :( dammit!

PhantomBA XR6 (Sold), now a VW owner (don't hold it against me )

& also a CM Valiant Wagon, gotta love the old Val's
see her progress here
NOW SOLD :( but now have a
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
XR6Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 12:58 PM   #139
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Gal
I know what you mean and having my birthday on the same day, I've been so bad lately!! Havent put on weight, but haven't lost any more :( dammit!
Yeah a similar week for me too. I ate a lot of chocolate moderately and didn't gain any weight but didn't lose any either. I'm onto my last egg so I should get back to the task at hand. Don't worry though, because you stayed the same this week; next week at least you're not trying to catch up _2:

Last edited by Franky; 31-03-2005 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:07 AM   #140
Amber
Funbus Pilot.

I gave the Xenical a go, and the Duromine. They do HORRIBLE things to your mind and body. I don't recommened any 'lose weight quick' pills.

Me, I go to Fernwood Gym (ladies only) 3-4 times a week, eat smaller portions ad pig out on the good things (fresh F&V).

I'm still trying to shift the 30kg I put on when I had a baby in late 2003. It's damn hard work I tells ya. Those little kids stuff your body for life!!
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2005, 09:46 PM   #141
formerly
loving the Xr8

Dont think i posted in this weight loss/gain thread, but here's my story anyway. Joined a gym, lost 5kgs in 3 weeks down to 94, mate got me onto protein shakes, and back up to 99kg and loving it!just gotta keep going to the gym or lose the shakes!
formerly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 08:58 AM   #142
bindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerly
Dont think i posted in this weight loss/gain thread, but here's my story anyway. Joined a gym, lost 5kgs in 3 weeks down to 94, mate got me onto protein shakes, and back up to 99kg and loving it!just gotta keep going to the gym or lose the shakes!
Hold on, hold on... which way are going? Are you wanting to gain or lose???

Quote:
Old 12-04-2005, 09:33 AM   #143
formerly
loving the Xr8

My goal wasnt really loss or gain, i just wanted to be leaner, bulk up a little more and generally tone everything, so gaining would be muscle related not fat! Want to lose the fat, but gain the muscle basically!
formerly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2005, 04:39 AM   #144
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Muscle? Fat? - Woah I've jumped on a different train of thought here **SLAPS HERSELF**

So how's everyone doin'?
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2005, 08:48 AM   #145
bindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont_Krissy
Muscle? Fat? - Woah I've jumped on a different train of thought here **SLAPS HERSELF**

So how's everyone doin'?
Mwahahahahah someone's mind is in the gutter, right next to mine. That's downright scary! :evil_laug

Meh, I am not doing well at all :yeees: . Basically since the kids have been on holidays I have done no real "formal" exercise other than washing, cleaning, vacuuming, gardening etc. And it's not been enough.

Something about being home... I start confusing boredom with hunger and will eat naughty things like white bread, toasted, with BUTTER on it.

I hate the fact that dieting to me is basically denial, denial, denial. No matter what the books/mags/experts say, that is what you have to do to lose weight. And exercise, exercise, exercise... :

The list of things I CAN'T EAT is longer than the list of things I CAN EAT.

Anyway, there's no other way. Now once the kids go back to school in 2 days, I am back to it... and 2 kilos extra to lose.

How's everyone else going?

Quote:
Old 25-04-2005, 09:37 AM   #146
TRBOETR
Huge Fatty

Losing weight is alot easier than most people make it out to be. Dieting isnt only about not eating the bad foods, its more about portion sizes, and timing. You'd be surprised how many of us on this forum are OVEREATING at the moment. I know from personal experience. If anyone would like some tips feel free to ask, I am dieting at the moment and I am loving it! Of course I have my cheat days where I eat junk food, as everyone who diets should (now and then, probably once every fortnight), and I am losing weight at a good rate. So far I have gone from 113kg to 104kg in a few months! The key is calorie expendature - burn more than you eat and you will lose weight.
TRBOETR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2005, 01:59 PM   #147
Franky
Bring back the Phase

meh very slowly although down to 96.1kg which is what I was 2 years ago. Can't seem to lose it as fast now :(
Old 25-04-2005, 02:35 PM   #148
Franky
Bring back the Phase

just out of the ordinary I decided to weigh myself and i'm 95.3kg!!! very nice to see after a couple of days of work
Old 26-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #149
Donut Queen
Back Seat Driver

Hey congrats! You're doing really great.
Old 26-04-2005, 06:32 PM   #150
Marlin_Girl
I wish I was a Pursuit...

Hi Guys,

I haven't posted here before i think. Last year i lost about 16kgs which was really cool. Just changed my eating routine and bad habits. Now that i've done it i feel good cos i know it's possible

Just trying to keep it down! put on a kg in the last 2 weeks which is annoying

pics of my ute HERE
Marlin_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post