Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-09-2017, 05:21 AM   #211
Tray
......Car Crazy......

Default Re: what falcon is the next collectable

My prediction for the Tickford period:

1. T3 250kw
2. ED XR8 Sprint
3. EL GT
4. EB GT
5. FBT
6. 220kw synergy t-series/Xr8
7. EB S-XR6
8. 185kw EL2 XR8
9. XR6 - non specific
10. XR8 - non specific

The EB and EL GT's will allways be at the top of the price list but they're overrated! To me, I've already started collecting my cars. And yet, they're all xr6's. If I was a V8 man, I would've already had a t3 and ed Xr8 sprint in my garage. It's way too early to call Ba-fgx, but anything with a 302 5.4L (in the Bf range) definitely!
WANTED - BF MK2.5 XR6 Seduce - PM me
RIP SHYXR
Tray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #212
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have probably already commented here but my view might have changes
these are my top 2 based of the range not individual cars (1 offs and so-on will always be worth more 'hopefully')

No. 1 FG GT 335 and all variants (manual) its the modern XY GT

No. 2 BA/BF XR6T (manual) because they are cheap and for little money go very well
i'm still looking for a blueprint manual that ticks all my boxes and i need to find storage for it as i have 5 cars, 1 boat and 4 bikes already

only problems the base car is rubbish (to a point). I have a BA and FG and they have a list of problems that if i wasn't an enthusiast i would have sold them already
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #213
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think there will be a level of collectability, not sure it will be to the level that the X-series GT and GTHOs

1. The older cars were revered by 10 to 17 year olds when new. now in our 40s and 50s and 60s we are fulfilling a dream or reliving our youth, and buying "that GT". Not sure that the young ones are lusting over FPVs like that, so will not be paying big bucks in 30 years time.

2. GTHO RPO 83 were Homologation Race Cars. the GT values got dragged along when values soared. FPVs don't have the race heritage.

Time will tell, there will be collectability just because they are a rear drive large sedan.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #214
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also, soo many speculators there will be heaps of low km FPV GTs around in 30 years time.

To see an original low K X series GT is rare which adds to value.

Any car show will have 20 GT Cobras, GT40, R-Specs GT-F with deliver kms only... no big deal..

Imagine seeing a Phase 2 or Phase 3 with delivery kms now..it would be on the news at 6pm
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #215
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Ford wise. I think anything X upto and including the XE. Whether it be volume or small production runs.

But I reckon the Indians must know something, now they have bought up all the Ford Traders and shipped them back home. Must be one big owners club over there.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #216
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thinking about it, FPV & Ford have produced so many special editions over the last 15 or so years, catering for almost anyone who wanted something special.

Looking back, it's almost as though they wanted people to have the opportunity to enjoy these cars whilst local manufacturing was still around, and while the status-quo of current technology remained.

Based on what futurists are predicting, it's only a matter of time before petrol engines will be outlawed, along with self-driving; both of which would relegate our current crop of cars to not much more than museum pieces.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #217
OzriderXR8

Who knows what will happen with tastes, I have sold cars in the past for peanuts that are now worth big money.

20 years ago who would have thought an RX4 or an XW Falcon or similar would be worth any more than scrap today.

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
OzriderXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #218
Bayson
Banned

9I think it depends on if we have a lack of muscle cars on our roads going forward. Then people will start looking back.

Who would want any of the tickford series or more modern fords if chrysler hits us with a hellcat srt 300. It will usurp all the old cars.

Remember the old xy GT only became popular as ford went soft on perfromance v8s through the late 70s and 80s and 90s. Even until early 2000s until the boss 5.4 and turbo 6 came when the performance of the xy was usurped. Then the prices people were paying dropped as you could buy a factory ford that is quicker than a xy for cheap.

So depends on whats next... mustang, camaro, srt300 might make us completely forget about old xr6s and xr8s.

I have an xr8. I dont think it will be collectable. But its a nice drive. If something else interests me it will be sold.

Last edited by Bayson; 22-09-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Bayson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #219
DudemanAlex
Starter Motor

I reckon the Series 2 FG GT's with the 335 Coyote are the next weapons to be collectibles.

They're still relatively new in the grand scheme of things, but they've held their price incredibly well for a 5 year old car and are the last shape of the late great GT's.

I picked up my Series 2 AU XR8 ute a few months ago for $6,000 with 180,000km on the clock and am still overwhelmed with how great it drives (besides the brakes).. The drive feel is a lot more "real" compared to my previous FG XR8 ute I had. Monetary value aside, i'd have an AU series 2 + Xr8 over the FG any day.

The AU obviously still has the old school single cammed windsor block which has the traditional V8 note.

Despite being the most hated shaped falcon, I reckon the AU will find it's place in the desirable history books.. The shape has most definitely grown on me

1965 Ford Mustang GT Coupe - Wimbledon White, 347, Medium Blue Interior with Bench Seat, Auto.

2001 Ford AU S2 XR8 Ute - Silhouette, 200KW Windsor, T5 Manual, Cloth Interior, Momo Wheel & Shifter.
DudemanAlex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2017, 12:36 AM   #220
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixf6 View Post
The two very good drive trains the f6 310 and supercharged v8s especially with ZF should do ok at least hold their value for a while. I own one and have driven the other. Had I known how good they were, would have had one years ago they are that good.
Especially for the price.
I've said it before lining up 5 or 6 cars and overtaking them in a few seconds is something to behold and gets the hair to stand up every time, incredible.
They may yet become collectable as they become rarer.
Even the humble FG XR6T motor with a tune and LPI injection is good for passing 3 B-doubles and 4 cars, at a rate that is absolutely mind boggling it's nearly a supernatural experience
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #221
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Also, soo many speculators there will be heaps of low km FPV GTs around in 30 years time.

To see an original low K X series GT is rare which adds to value.
Whats the fascination with low klm in terms of classic collectibility.....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #222
ozbloke74

If they ban fossil fuels they may not be worth anything
ozbloke74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #223
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudemanAlex View Post
I reckon the Series 2 FG GT's with the 335 Coyote are the next weapons to be collectibles.

They're still relatively new in the grand scheme of things, but they've held their price incredibly well for a 5 year old car and are the last shape of the late great GT's.

I picked up my Series 2 AU XR8 ute a few months ago for $6,000 with 180,000km on the clock and am still overwhelmed with how great it drives (besides the brakes).. The drive feel is a lot more "real" compared to my previous FG XR8 ute I had. Monetary value aside, i'd have an AU series 2 + Xr8 over the FG any day.

The AU obviously still has the old school single cammed windsor block which has the traditional V8 note.

Despite being the most hated shaped falcon, I reckon the AU will find it's place in the desirable history books.. The shape has most definitely grown on me
Regardless of popularity at their launch, the AU shape is more relevant today more than ever and as such looks totally at home compared to new euro saloons. Try and buy a clean low km 220kw version and you'll need $15k plus. Ford put millions into the AU and it shows, especially at speed, my series II Rebel is one of the best handling cars I have owned in 30 plus years and whilst it may not be the fastest, it sounds fantastic and I love that the only driver aid is ABS. The only driver assistance I knew growing up was power steering which was an option on most cars I have owned. Youtube the 2000 Bathurst shootout & have a listen to the AU's Windsor's at 7000rpm, they sound and look really tough. One of the best looking Falcon race cars imo.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #224
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Regardless of popularity at their launch, the AU shape is more relevant today more than ever and as such looks totally at home compared to new euro saloons. One of the best looking Falcon race cars imo.
Driving up the M1 saw a new AMG C63 coupe - and from the rear at a distance looked a lot like the AU done with wider tyres and lowered.

AU in XR trim with front spoiler and wide tyres and lowered looks fantastic.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2017, 01:03 AM   #225
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Whats the fascination with low klm in terms of classic collectibility.....
Great point. Cars that have sat around with little use often have more problems that those that have regular runs. Also, many believe 5 mins idling in the driveway or a quick lap around the block is enough to keep things sweet. A car can take 10 minutes for everything to be at ideal operating temp and only then is real heat in the motor & your ready to blow out the cobwebs. Every fluid from diffs thru brakes, motors & coolants all break down with or without use. A car left unused will virtually eat many of its components as they breakdown & rust or rot. The car that is kept in the garage all its life can still have as many rust issues as one parked outside. It may have better paint, but if the seals have begun to rot through accumulated dirt, the plenum chamber allowed to block up, not drying the car with all swinging panels open after washing or driving in rain. There is no point being swayed by any old car that has 'genuine low kays'. If anything, its a warning to look for all the classic issues with old metal. Rust isn't ideal, but it's not a deal breaker either. A straight car with good gaps, original paint & a little rust is a better buy than one that has been repaired & repainted especially if there is no photos of the car stripped. One last thing, what is the last thing you think of when you see a beautiful Mk1 GT Cortina or a XAGT coupe? the mileage. I am sure there are cars where the mileage is more relevant to buyers, but I don't see it in 60's & 70's muscle cars. A cars rarity is more relevant than its mileage in my opinion. Good topic Bluey-GT.
8 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #226
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Great point. Cars that have sat around with little use often have more problems that those that have regular runs. Also, many believe 5 mins idling in the driveway or a quick lap around the block is enough to keep things sweet. A car can take 10 minutes for everything to be at ideal operating temp and only then is real heat in the motor & your ready to blow out the cobwebs. Every fluid from diffs thru brakes, motors & coolants all break down with or without use. A car left unused will virtually eat many of its components as they breakdown & rust or rot. The car that is kept in the garage all its life can still have as many rust issues as one parked outside. It may have better paint, but if the seals have begun to rot through accumulated dirt, the plenum chamber allowed to block up, not drying the car with all swinging panels open after washing or driving in rain. There is no point being swayed by any old car that has 'genuine low kays'. If anything, its a warning to look for all the classic issues with old metal. Rust isn't ideal, but it's not a deal breaker either. A straight car with good gaps, original paint & a little rust is a better buy than one that has been repaired & repainted especially if there is no photos of the car stripped. One last thing, what is the last thing you think of when you see a beautiful Mk1 GT Cortina or a XAGT coupe? the mileage. I am sure there are cars where the mileage is more relevant to buyers, but I don't see it in 60's & 70's muscle cars. A cars rarity is more relevant than its mileage in my opinion. Good topic Bluey-GT.
Yes
That was my point.
Id be much more concerned with the potential amount of bog and hidden rust then the amount of Klm.

I reckon there would be plenty of bogged and stitched up frankenstein classics out there with tarted up paint jobs with dreadful sins all hiding behind the “low mileage” shield wall.
If a classic car doesnt have all its original panels , interior trim ,log books and spare parts , then whats so desirable and unique about it as a collectable.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2017, 04:49 PM   #227
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Which fords will become collectible? Likely any V8 or turbo models would be nice in a Ford collectors garage.

Which will be financially Valuable? Just like today, it will be Rare models, Models which very few straight examples are still in existence, NOT models in 30 years time where at any given time 20 are listed on eBay all with low km and garaged since new.... That is, likely no BA-FGX models, the market will be flooded.
Imagine if right now there were 20 XY GTHO's currently listed on ebay and gumtree, all with less than 100km on the clock and garaged since new. What would they be worth?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #228
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what about petrol turbo territory ??? is the next collectable
Bolly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #229
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Which fords will become collectible? Likely any V8 or turbo models would be nice in a Ford collectors garage.

Which will be financially Valuable? Just like today, it will be Rare models, Models which very few straight examples are still in existence, NOT models in 30 years time where at any given time 20 are listed on eBay all with low km and garaged since new.... That is, likely no BA-FGX models, the market will be flooded.
Imagine if right now there were 20 XY GTHO's currently listed on ebay and gumtree, all with less than 100km on the clock and garaged since new. What would they be worth?
I buy a magazine called Just Cars which lists the more unusual or performance oriented cars, mostly older models. Anyway, they always have a segment on what to look for next. Surprisingly, EB GT's & EL XR6's were two of the cars listed as 'ones to watch'.
Old 29-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #230
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't forget the EF XR6 wagon.

Only 400 odd made remember!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2017, 11:06 PM   #231
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unmolested FPV F6's
3 users like this post:
Old 29-09-2017, 11:09 PM   #232
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

AU Fairmont Wagoon V8 - only 138 made...
Old 13-10-2017, 12:44 AM   #233
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Yes
That was my point.
Id be much more concerned with the potential amount of bog and hidden rust then the amount of Klm.

I reckon there would be plenty of bogged and stitched up frankenstein classics out there with tarted up paint jobs with dreadful sins all hiding behind the “low mileage” shield wall.
If a classic car doesnt have all its original panels , interior trim ,log books and spare parts , then whats so desirable and unique about it as a collectable.
That is such a common story, especially with 60's & 70's coupes and the bigger, the more likely. How many times I have read builds and typically its a mixture or all of the following, ''New floor, rear guards, plenum chamber, fire wall, front guards'' the list goes on.
Old 13-10-2017, 07:17 AM   #234
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post

Cant see how the market can be flooded with FGX ....when they made sh#t all of them ?

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2017, 08:00 AM   #235
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all . We all know about the older GT's , modern GT's, FPV Turbo's and V8's and the classic coupe's like the awesome Cobra's etc but post 1990 I reckon that one high up on the list will be the AU T3's ..They still look great , go really well of course , sound amazing and there are not too many built so they'll be pretty hard to get hold of.
Any T1 and T2 would be pretty desirable too.
Hard to not want to collect any of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlqUZ6OwKw8&t=65s Cheers Rod .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #236
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzman View Post
Cant see how the market can be flooded with FGX ....when they made sh#t all of them ?
Because there will by many many more stashed away in garages as 'investments' as opposed to other classics.

In comparison, how many GTHO's, XU1's, or really any other classics for that matter were purchased to stash in a garage for the next bloke?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2019, 08:49 PM   #237
zetec1600
Starter Motor

Smile Re: what falcon is the next collectable

I own a 1991 EA2 S pack, lowered on 16x8 wheels, 5 speed manual and 2.77:1 LSD. It is powered by 4 litre AU that has head mods and extractors. car is original and I think it is a great car. This should be the next collectable Falcon.
zetec1600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2019, 11:10 PM   #238
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec1600 View Post
I own a 1991 EA2 S pack, lowered on 16x8 wheels, 5 speed manual and 2.77:1 LSD. It is powered by 4 litre AU that has head mods and extractors. car is original and I think it is a great car. This should be the next collectable Falcon.
Maybe almost original
Old 20-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #239
JG23TG450
450.AMS

The XD Sundowner only 191 panelvan produced in the XD ,,
Numbers produced:
1979 = 35, No breakdown of V8 & 6 cyl's,
1980 = 99, No breakdown of V8 & 6 cyl's,
1981 = 35, No breakdown of V8 & 6 cyl's,
1982 = 22, 3.3 = nil, 4.1 = 12, 4.9 = 10,
Total = 191 XD Sundowners built
This info was supplied to me from the FORD Customer Relationship Center in Broadmedows.
Old 20-01-2019, 01:22 PM   #240
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

If there is a motoring God, let the next collectable falcon be the AU s1 Forte!

So if someone could just go out of their way to gather up every remaining example on the roads and stash them away in a compound, somewhere like Sim's metal etc. would be ideal, i'd be eternally grateful...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: