Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #31
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford to start reproducing AU Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Yes that's when they went to the cab chassis, and why falcon ute owners now pay more to use tollways than commodore utes
One of the best decisions and designs Ford ever did was make a cab chassis Falcon ute! Turned the Falcon ute into a extremely capable and ultimate work ute. Nothing compares to it!

I love my FG Mk2 XR6t work ute, canopy+ tray. Great to work out of! Plenty of power on tap and so comfortable to drive. Couldn't ask for a better workhorse!
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2019, 10:01 PM   #32
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl View Post
One of the best decisions and designs Ford ever did was make a cab chassis Falcon ute! Turned the Falcon ute into a extremely capable and ultimate work ute. Nothing compares to it!

I love my FG Mk2 XR6t work ute, canopy+ tray. Great to work out of! Plenty of power on tap and so comfortable to drive. Couldn't ask for a better workhorse!
Still annoyed about getting rid of my fg2 turbo Ute. Seriously easily the best car. Power and fun.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:21 PM   #33
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Yes, such a stupid greedy practice by Eastlink and Transurban. I don't use my ute on tollsways unless I cannot avoid it.
Whats a TOLL....

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-08-2019, 12:03 AM   #34
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Whats a TOLL....
They deliver my parcels. Eastlink must be a subsidiary of StarTrack or something

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 09-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #35
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
!
Still trying to work out why people call tray backs, utes and utes, trucks.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #36
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

They’re all utes!

IMO a truck is much bigger, and typically has dual rear wheels.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #37
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Just MO, a ute is a unibody, no removable tub. ie Ford stopped making utes at XH, tray back (1 tonner) is a cab chassis car based design and truck is anything capable of 2 ton payload (not towed) or more.

3 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2019, 07:00 PM   #38
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post
Taxi drivers will rejoice!
Yep, apparently there was a gathering yesterday to discuss the return of AU taxi's!

Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #39
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Just MO, a ute is a unibody, no removable tub. ie Ford stopped making utes at XH, tray back (1 tonner) is a cab chassis car based design and truck is anything capable of 2 ton payload (not towed) or more.
I assume you know the history ?

My ex's grandfather worked on the origional ute. He was a coachbuiilder for ford. I think her dad has some of the drawings.

Obviously the origional was a full chassis car, ford didn't have unibody cars on those days I'm pretty sure.

A utility rides and drives like a car, a pickup truck rides and drives like a truck. Hop out of an XB ute into a 70's F250 and you will know exactly what I'm talking about.
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2019, 09:27 PM   #40
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OMG! It was sunk by a conspiracy!

https://www.shannons.com.au/club/new...-dirty-tricks/

Well worth signing up to read:

"Holden commissioned a training video for their sales network. It was one of the most systematic, single-minded and detailed attacks on a rival model you could imagine. On the nasty scale, it rated just under a 10.

For the well-informed, its emphasis said more about the VT Commodore’s weaknesses. For those captivated by its sophisticated presentation and relentless anti-Falcon attack, it generated a whispers campaign that rippled through the community at a level not seen since the Leyland P76...

This didn’t suddenly bubble up overnight. These areas were targeted by a highly-motivated national Holden team of fleet and retail sales people in every corner of Australia who, with a “nudge, nudge, wink, wink”, could now tell anyone who listened why the AU was a flawed design with authoritative detail. It worked. "

That's a devastating revelation! If that doesn't have you sharpening your pitchfork getting ready for a people's revolution* to remake the AU - I don't know what will!!!

(*People's revolutions in the past have had sillier aims than remaking a really well engineered car - I mean what kind of rat even is a 'proletariat'?

And - this is satire, not inciting violence. Don't use violence to remake the AU, remake the AU because it's the right thing to do.)
Old 11-08-2019, 06:14 AM   #41
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,
Obviously it requires too much tooling to set up a re-make of an entire car, where most of the original tooling would be long gone to scrap metal recycling by now. I haven't owned or driven an AU, but base models doesn't have the visual appearance that I wish to see more of on the roads. Those wheel arches looks so 1980s, not sure how they could design it that way in the first place.

It was mentioned typical owners of 15-30 year old cars have no $$$ to spend, so that could be a problem, but an idea that could be more realistic would be to make a 'life extension program' for selected Falcons, and build fully refurbished replicas of a few models that could be slightly improved in some areas.

What about offering AU TE50 replicas, FPV BF GTP replicas, FPV FG F6, FG GTP replicas, and maybe also FGX Sprint and XR8 replicas. It is maybe too many models to carry at the same time, so may have to choose fewer models.

Ideally the program should have been supported by the original manufacturer making some of the specs and software etc. available to the refurbish company. That would make it easier to achieve compliance engineering and approvals.

Such a 'life extension program' would need to source unmolested and rust free body shells. It could be base models or anything reasonable from the 2nd hand market, and save them from going to scrap metal. Then full strip, panel work, rust-proofing, paint, re-fit and refurbishment of as many parts as practical, and new manufacturing of interior, modernized ICCs to latest SYNC technology, new reproduction of bumpers, skirts and lights. Engines could be rebuilt to latest FG 310++ specification and a bullet proof ZF hybrid trans with 6R80 shafts and parts, and for V8 engines I don't know much about them, perhaps go with the latest Mustang 5.0 drivetrain?

The price tag for all this unfortunately would probably be like a new built car.
Perhaps something to think about. Tickford or similar, or a 'new FPV replica life-extension division by Ford' ?

Last edited by happy1; 11-08-2019 at 06:17 AM. Reason: typo
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2019, 01:58 PM   #42
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

happy1:

Um, you know this whole thread is a joke right ?
6 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #43
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
OMG! It was sunk by a conspiracy!

https://www.shannons.com.au/club/new...-dirty-tricks/

Well worth signing up to read:

"Holden commissioned a training video for their sales network. It was one of the most systematic, single-minded and detailed attacks on a rival model you could imagine. On the nasty scale, it rated just under a 10.
Around here somewhere I've got a copy of the training book that was sent to dealers when the VU Holden ute was released in 2001 comparing it to the AUII ute range.... makes for interesting reading considering I've owned both
Old 12-08-2019, 12:00 PM   #44
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

No Doubt inspired by the success of the Hilux. but with a bit more comfort & power.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #45
Kam
Starter Motor

My current ride

BF11 XR8 2007 6 speed manual
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2019, 12:42 PM   #46
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
No Doubt inspired by the success of the Hilux. but with a bit more comfort & power.
Not Holden one tonner?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #47
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Not Holden one tonner?
was that successful?
Old 12-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #48
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
was that successful?
Ah, yeah.

Old 12-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #49
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
I assume you know the history ?

My ex's grandfather worked on the origional ute. He was a coachbuiilder for ford. I think her dad has some of the drawings.

Obviously the origional was a full chassis car, ford didn't have unibody cars on those days I'm pretty sure.

A utility rides and drives like a car, a pickup truck rides and drives like a truck. Hop out of an XB ute into a 70's F250 and you will know exactly what I'm talking about.
er I own several leaf sprung trucks and a panel van, so yeah I'm aware of the ride qualities.

Old 12-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #50
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bit of research & if I'm correct the Holden one tonner made a comeback in 2003 after missing for 18 years.
AU was already being produced and was apparently leader in 4x2 Pick Up/Cab Chassis

https://www.goauto.com.au/new-models...5-28/4041.html
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #51
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
A bit of research & if I'm correct the Holden one tonner made a comeback in 2003 after missing for 18 years.
AU was already being produced and was apparently leader in 4x2 Pick Up/Cab Chassis

https://www.goauto.com.au/new-models...5-28/4041.html
Sorry, I was referring to the highly successful 70s-80s Kingswood/Belmont full chassis one tonners.

4 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2019, 11:42 AM   #52
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thread is a bit of a joke but there is space in the market for a well priced, large RWD monocoque biased vehicle with space, lots of torque, simple mechanicals, motors that can do 500,000km; that is cheap to fix and has robust suspension with great ride/handling tuning that can provide reasonable economy on the highway run.

Over 8 million Australians live in the regions and the majority of these are in agricultural/wheatbelt/sugar cane areas where roads do exist and are mostly gravel and mostly graded and passable in RWD. Many more if you include the outer surburban/semi rural areas. You might say a Hilux does this role well but it's a ladder frame chassis like all the Thai utes and wagons, overkill, truck like and a tray is not a boot or wagon's space. You might say a 200 series does the wagon bit but it's 100K - far from the 30 to 40K price point. You might say we're going electric but liquid fuels will be king for a while longer where infrastructure does not exist to support dedicated charging beyond home solar. A simple, large capacity inline 6 petrol motor will not suffer from the extra maintenance and inputs required of modern diesels. Or do DPF burnoffs.

There are still heaps of AU's and VX's running around in the regions for a reason. I'd love to see a niche market maker develop something for this community, would probably sell their product well in Southern Africa and South America as well.
Old 13-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #53
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
The thread is a bit of a joke but there is space in the market for a well priced, large RWD monocoque biased vehicle with space, lots of torque, simple mechanicals, motors that can do 500,000km; that is cheap to fix and has robust suspension with great ride/handling tuning that can provide reasonable economy on the highway run.

Over 8 million Australians live in the regions and the majority of these are in agricultural/wheatbelt/sugar cane areas where roads do exist and are mostly gravel and mostly graded and passable in RWD. Many more if you include the outer surburban/semi rural areas. You might say a Hilux does this role well but it's a ladder frame chassis like all the Thai utes and wagons, overkill, truck like and a tray is not a boot or wagon's space. You might say a 200 series does the wagon bit but it's 100K - far from the 30 to 40K price point. You might say we're going electric but liquid fuels will be king for a while longer where infrastructure does not exist to support dedicated charging beyond home solar. A simple, large capacity inline 6 petrol motor will not suffer from the extra maintenance and inputs required of modern diesels. Or do DPF burnoffs.

There are still heaps of AU's and VX's running around in the regions for a reason. I'd love to see a niche market maker develop something for this community, would probably sell their product well in Southern Africa and South America as well.
We had a car called the Falcon but no one bought it new and they stopped making them

I don't think you can design, engineer and build a car profitably for a market of 25M people with unique compliance requirements that's one of the most competitive in the world for a $40K price point.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #54
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Very true, but at least part of the reason they stopped buying them was because the last cars were so awful.

In 09 I decided my NF fairlane was too far gone so went looking for a new car. First stop was ford, would have loved a falcon wagen, but they were properly shocking. Aside from being treated like dirt by teh dealers the cars were rusting on the forecourts, the interiors looked like something from a $ shop an the drive was coma inducing. I tried 3 dealers then gave up.

I ended up eventually with a forester, which was a mistake but a much lesser mistake than the falcons. The boss decided she loved it, I hated it so we swapped and now I've got her EL futura. Then I bought the AU because they never made an E series tray back ( I know the XH isn't an E series either).

You keep poking your customers in the eye and eventually they stop coming back for more. If you built something good, priced it right and treated your customers well I reckon you'd make money, but as you say it's a hard market now.
Old 13-08-2019, 01:45 PM   #55
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Very true, but at least part of the reason they stopped buying them was because the last cars were so awful.

In 09 I decided my NF fairlane was too far gone so went looking for a new car. First stop was ford, would have loved a falcon wagen, but they were properly shocking. Aside from being treated like dirt by teh dealers the cars were rusting on the forecourts, the interiors looked like something from a $ shop an the drive was coma inducing. I tried 3 dealers then gave up.

I ended up eventually with a forester, which was a mistake but a much lesser mistake than the falcons. The boss decided she loved it, I hated it so we swapped and now I've got her EL futura. Then I bought the AU because they never made an E series tray back ( I know the XH isn't an E series either).

You keep poking your customers in the eye and eventually they stop coming back for more. If you built something good, priced it right and treated your customers well I reckon you'd make money, but as you say it's a hard market now.
sorry can I get this straight.

you say the last cars? but you only looked in 2009?
you bought a new Forester? and swapped it for a Falcon over 10 years older?
Old 13-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #56
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
sorry can I get this straight.

you say the last cars? but you only looked in 2009?
you bought a new Forester? and swapped it for a Falcon over 10 years older?
I was specifically looking for a new car in 09. That doesn't mean I have no experience with the earlier and later falcons.

And yes I'd have the 96 EL futura all day long over the 09 forester.

I built a spread sheet about 3 years ago and found that despite the extra $200/yr rego and about 20% higher fuel consumption the EL was still actually CHEAPER! to run than the forester. That was the last straw.

The EL is relaxing to drive, heaps of torque, fantastic seats, great ergonomics just a great all round car.

The Forester was covered in scratches within months of buying it, worst paint I've ever seen on any car. The gearbox feels like one from the 50's early 60's. Terrible ergonomics. Pitch frequency seems high. Electronic throttle goes from annoying to dangerous. Dearer insurance, much higher servicing and parts costs (just did the cam belt & service $1800!). It is surprisingly good off road for a school run car and it has been reliable, but it is just so unsatisfying...
Old 13-08-2019, 10:52 PM   #57
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
We had a car called the Falcon but no one bought it new and they stopped making them

I don't think you can design, engineer and build a car profitably for a market of 25M people with unique compliance requirements that's one of the most competitive in the world for a $40K price point.
That has been proven to be true, but they did give it a good crack getting the Territory off their platform as well and selling base at 40K, right into the SUV boom and I think they were profitable in the years after its release? Territory is fantastic for the brief I described whether RWD or AWD.

Oh well it's all over now, as I remember the guy in 'Schindler's List' saying, "Save every last one that you can..."
Old 14-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #58
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was specifically looking for a new car in 09. That doesn't mean I have no experience with the earlier and later falcons.

And yes I'd have the 96 EL futura all day long over the 09 forester.

I built a spread sheet about 3 years ago and found that despite the extra $200/yr rego and about 20% higher fuel consumption the EL was still actually CHEAPER! to run than the forester. That was the last straw.

The EL is relaxing to drive, heaps of torque, fantastic seats, great ergonomics just a great all round car.

The Forester was covered in scratches within months of buying it, worst paint I've ever seen on any car. The gearbox feels like one from the 50's early 60's. Terrible ergonomics. Pitch frequency seems high. Electronic throttle goes from annoying to dangerous. Dearer insurance, much higher servicing and parts costs (just did the cam belt & service $1800!). It is surprisingly good off road for a school run car and it has been reliable, but it is just so unsatisfying...
So why buy the Forester in the first place and not a Territory?
do not tell me the EL is better than that.
Old 14-08-2019, 01:58 PM   #59
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
So why buy the Forester in the first place and not a Territory?
do not tell me the EL is better than that.
Ok I won't tell you the EL is better than that. Fuel economy, ball joints and other issues, cost....

The subaru was $32k on road with a tow bar. I couldn't get near that with a territory, but I wouldn't have if I could. It wasn't just the cars, teh dealers were breathtakingly bad.

Once I discounted falcons I looked hard at hiluxes, but the dealer only had a workmate single cab to test and it rode like a buckboard. At that point I made my big mistake. I was told they were all teh same. If I'd persisted and got a drive in an SR I'd have 1 toyota today instead of 2 fords.

I proposed I buy the boss a new corolla/whatever and I'd get her falcon. Would have saved me about 11k, but she still loved the EL at that point and after looking at a bunch of things, all of which sucked in one way or another I was exhausted and bought the forester in desperation.

It really amazed me that you get better customer service buying a $20 toaster than a 30k car. I doubt I'll ever buy a new car again. The whole process just sucked from start to finish. It was also apparent that the dealers of the "quality" brands did a lot better job of attending to buyers.

Buy the time the deal was done I felt like I'd spent time locked in a room full of politicians, or swimming in a sewer, take your pick. And i'd paid for the privilege...
2 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2019, 06:04 PM   #60
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Even Tom Elliot discussed this topic on 3AW this afternoon.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post