Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up How To - Recondition AU S1 Keypads

HOW TO – Recondition S1 Keypads – by GK
I’d been having a bit of trouble with the ‘door open’ button on my AU S1 keypad for a while. It was becoming harder and harder to open, requiring a greater push down on the button. The button had also lost the little ‘click’ it makes with the ‘boot open’ button. It was simply worn out. I noted that the ‘boot open’ button was still working very well and today I had an idea. If I used the ‘boot open’ button from the spare remote (on which the ‘door open’ button was also stuffed) to replace the door open button, it should be almost like new, as the boot gets opened nowhere near as often as the doors.

To cut a long story short, I changed the buttons and voila it worked. Both buttons now work very well with the minimum push down on the button required. I can also open the car from a greater distance now, so all good!

Here’s how I did it.
1. Open key pads.

2. Remove the ‘door open’ button on the usable keypad and the ‘boot open’ button on the donor key pad using a small tipped soldering iron. You can see clearly in the pictures the 5 soldering points it's held on by.

3. Swap buttons. You don’t need to add solder to the tip, as there is enough on the button and the pcb to do the job. You may want to add a tiny bit though, as I did.

4. Put the battery between the terminals and test.

5. Put remote back together and test!

All in all it was a quick and easy enough job and only required basic soldering skills.

Hope this helps a few fellow AUvians get some more life out of their old remote.

Shalom,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: How To - Recondition AU S1 Keypads

Another good write up GK, my sons is starting to act up so looks like I have a job to do.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
Another good write up GK, my sons is starting to act up so looks like I have a job to do.
UK
It's an easy enough fix if you've got another remote with the same issues.

Cheers,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 05-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
Daniel B

Gee thanks for that, I was just about to try find another remote but think I might give this a go.

Do you know if you can get these switches from jaycar or something?
Daniel B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel B
Gee thanks for that, I was just about to try find another remote but think I might give this a go.

Do you know if you can get these switches from jaycar or something?
Probably. They have a stack of stuff!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG