Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-06-2006, 10:50 AM   #1
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Default your HPT (Hazard Perception Test)...

Well I just booked my HPT for this tuesday.... so how hard/easy/dodgy is it really? people say it's easy.. only because they passed fluking it or just know their stuff

not sure if anyone remembers me posting when i got my l's like 6-7 months ago - easy 100% so anyway i hope i pass it first shot.. i don't feel nervous an hopefully my confidence stays with me - i will pass my driving test easy as the instructor says.. but anything can happen lol

kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Miss_XR6

its easy, there is only 15 questions but a hint look out for the red lights and stop signs... sometimes it says touch screen when safe to turn and the traffic will stop but the light is red so watch out for that and dont press when u would normally go remember the rta thinks you should go in bigger gaps and all that so u gotta think like them
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 11:14 AM   #3
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

The test is quite easy only 15 questions and shouldnt take you more than 30mins max. Just observe all aspects of the screen and look out for hazards around, have safe gaps when turning at the intersection, dont go unless all aspects of the road are visible.

I actually went to the RTA quite hungover and funny enough i passed first go and didnt study much for it. Its all about common sence. You should be fine
Old 08-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I actually went to the RTA quite hungover and funny enough i passed first go and didnt study much for it. Its all about common sence. You should be fine[/QUOTE]

I see the drink driving message is working!
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
alesia
Banned

The Address below is a practice test ,This will give you a good idea of what the actual test will be like.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/...25716B0003D5CB

alesia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

ta for the test i got 2/3 at first and then the one where you have a road that has gravel in the middle and where you should slow down ... you gotta do it spot on but i mastered it after 3 shots "remember to click mouse in centre of shadow" haha

- way better graphics then i first thought and its of course common sense =)
Old 08-06-2006, 12:04 PM   #7
crannersEL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
Well I just booked my HPT for this tuesday.... so how hard/easy/dodgy is it really? people say it's easy.. only because they passed fluking it or just know their stuff

not sure if anyone remembers me posting when i got my l's like 6-7 months ago - easy 100% so anyway i hope i pass it first shot.. i don't feel nervous an hopefully my confidence stays with me - i will pass my driving test easy as the instructor says.. but anything can happen lol

The Victorian test from memory was about 32 questions long, there is no right or wrong answer to the questions, its when you click thats rated in a % form, and you need to get greater than 55% i believe to pass.

You cant study for it, the only advice ill give you is to do the practice ones on the internet at home, i think there 3 questions to try.

You will either just pass, just fail or pass really well, lets hope you pass alltogether.

In my opinion the HP test is a waist of time and does not really display anything to do with your driving abilities. If you want some more info on types of questions and some handy tips PM me your msn address and ill happly give you some pointers.

Good luck Cranners :
crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 12:06 PM   #8
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

pm sent =)

- this fromt rta site: comprises 28 traffic scenes and you must get a score of at least 54% to pass

damn 28 scenes in 45 mins :O
Old 08-06-2006, 12:54 PM   #9
NC-302
Starter Motor

It was bloody easy when I did it a few years ago. I'd just failed my practical test (stuffed up the reverse park) and was bloody disappointed and ****ed off. They told me to do the hazard perception test anyway, but at that point I couldn't really care less, so I just bashed away at the touch screen whenever I felt like it. I couldn't believe it when the guy told me I'd passed (60%). Unless it's changed it is a total waste of time.
NC-302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

HPT? is that the touch screen on when people jump out at you?

I nearly failed it...lol, but got 98% on my driving test, and still haven't been in an accident nearly 6 years on. So I really dont see much point in it...
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
-jjM-
Banned

driving test i aced, HPT was just a pass, but honestly thought it was the stupitest test ever, cheapest flash game ever lol, i got the hang of it evetunetly and passed prity easy
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 03:08 PM   #12
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

i passed the HPT first time, but failed the tram questions (live in shepp, not a tram for 200km) and failed the drive once, damn school zones...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonko351
i passed the HPT first time, but failed the tram questions (live in shepp, not a tram for 200km) and failed the drive once, damn school zones...
lol that would suck...I passed pretty well and I even did a small burnout in reverse during my 3 point turn, stupid off camber road.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-06-2006, 04:52 PM   #14
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
lol that would suck...I passed pretty well and I even did a small burnout in reverse during my 3 point turn, stupid off camber road.
sure it was off camber......just like the clutch was buggered in my instructors car when i kept chirping second..... :eclipsee_ he didnt like that, was only lessons though.....

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonko351
sure it was off camber......just like the clutch was buggered in my instructors car when i kept chirping second..... :eclipsee_ he didnt like that, was only lessons though.....
haha it was! It was only a corrolla, and I freaked that i was about to hit the curb, so I let the clutch out to quick and hello loose stones...I was packing my dacks at the time though... :
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-06-2006, 04:21 PM   #16
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

HPT was easy, I got like 90% first time. Most of the Q's were just stupid trick would you turn at these lights and if you look carefully half the time its a red light anyway.

Passed pratical first time as well, though i must admit i had to go back a day later to revisit my theory one :(.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 04:32 PM   #17
aimzes
...fairly odd

its pretty easy.

they will try to trick you by playing the same scenario 3-4 times in a row. this happend in both the hpt test and the test for my full licence.

btw if you fail it doesnt mean your a bad driver but passing with 100% doesnt mean your a great driver either. the tests are so stupid but i wont get into that here.
aimzes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #18
Dezza
Parts bin special

When I got my Ps, the HPT was a smaller part than what it is now. I got over 90% on the driving test, about 75% on the HPT, and I also had a heap of questions similar to the ones when you go for your L-plates. I got 100% on them. I know the HPT is much bigger now, and the L-plate style questions are gone.

As for the HPT, the hardest thing is getting used to the pathetic 1980's picture quality.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #19
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

As dezza Said if you can see the picture u'l be fine. when i did mine i missed two q's one was i waited 2 long to turn somewhere and the other was i didnt slow down for a gravel road which i ws doing 60 anyways. the biggest thing i was told is that, for most of the q's you dont have to do anything so toughing the screen will cause you to get the q wrong. so be careful and watch everything and most importantly if ur turning right, then watch out for the motorbike behing the truck, it's always there.
-----------------------
megsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 09:55 PM   #20
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by megsy
most importantly if ur turning right, then watch out for the motorbike behing the truck, it's always there.
yeah i somehow got that right the first time on the prac test on rta site... like i didn't even expect the bikie to come from the side of the truck lol, i know now if i get the 3 scenes that were in the prac test i will atleast get 3 right hehehe
Old 08-06-2006, 10:38 PM   #21
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's kind of rigged. Some driving instructors even tell people about it. if vic roads suspect that you've been told how to cheat it by your driving instructor they can fail you straight up.

I was told when i did it 6 years ago that you count 1, 2, and touch on 3. don't touch on the questions where it shows you tyring to turn right, and never over take. I did it and passed by a mile. My apprentice has just gone for his p's and was told the same thing by his instructor, did it and passed easily too.
It's a stupid test. They should extend the driving test to an hour and you can get a much better guage of someones hazard perception skills in traffic than you can on a screen. Its an un-natural situation to be tested in. A defensive driving course should be mandatory. Many young people have absolutley no idea what to do in an emergency situation until they are in 1. Hazard perception test is just like another video game.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 08:58 AM   #22
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

hmmm hpt test is today 2:30pm... god i shouldn't of made this thread cause now i gotta tell ya's if i fail
Old 13-06-2006, 09:13 AM   #23
Miss_XR6

good lucy kyro... dont stress and just take your time
Old 13-06-2006, 09:17 AM   #24
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

cheers, should be be good
Old 13-06-2006, 03:01 PM   #25
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

i passed 67%

didn't think i would of got it but i did !!
Old 13-06-2006, 03:03 PM   #26
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

HPT (Hazard Perception Test)... Never heard of it!!! Must be a southern states thing.
Old 13-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #27
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

it's a hazard perception test =), you're in qld so you probably don't get it there
Old 13-06-2006, 04:08 PM   #28
Miss_XR6

congrats kyro it feels so much better being on your greens now only 2 years till u get your full license
Old 13-06-2006, 04:10 PM   #29
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

sorry the HPT = Hazard Perception Test , it is a computer test, it isn't the driving test. it's the step before it... in victoria anyway.

so all i have to do is pass my driving test with 2 instructors :P

i must say, the test is dodgy and unpredictable, like the quality is that bad that you look as far down the road (as you're suppose to) ... and i couldn't see an intersection, then BAM out of no where and i was doing 70km/h.. so it was too late.

other then the dodgyness, i'm happy i only need to pass my driving test, thank god there isn't those green p's cause thats more stuffing around :P
Old 13-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #30
Dezza
Parts bin special

Congrats Kyro. See what I mean about the quality. It's pathetic isn't it!

And Miss_XR6, In Victoria we have 3 years on P-plates, with all 3 years being white on red.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post