Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 03-03-2006, 04:30 AM   #1
riverrat321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Laser KF CV joints & Engine mounts

Hi guys. I recently purchased an auto KF Laser with 318,000 k's for my girlfriend. Its got 7 mths rego and I payed $1,380. It has the folloeing problems though that I need to fix.

CV joints are worn - heavy clicking when wheel turned hard.

Engine Mounts need replacing - Heavy vibration when in gear at ideling speeds. If I give it a little gas at ideling speeds the vibration goes away. I was nearly going to bump up the idle speed as a temporary fix.

My question is can I fix these conditions myself? I have an engine lifter and am semi mechanically minded. I work on boats a little but not really cars so i'm new to this.

I work night shift and sleep through the day so I haven't had a chance to speak to a mechanic.

Any Idea what it will cost to fix these conditions?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

PS... Could this be done with second hand parts???

riverrat321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 05:42 AM   #2
tufLTD
tufLTD

I would avoid second-hand parts. They will probably be nearly as bad as the ones you're replacing.
The easiest way to fix the CV joints is to fit 2 complete drive-shafts. Not too hard to do if you're mechanically minded. Complete shafts sell for about $180 each.
Engine mounts are relatively easy to do as well. Buy rubber mounts, not urethane. You may only need to replace one of the mounts, rather than all. Check to see if any are split or sagged & just replace that one.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
VippiN
What a performer!

tufLTD knows the score.

Repco will have the parts you need. With CVs and mounts, don't bother with second hand. Do the job right the first time and you won't have to redo them in six months. I reckon from the idling vibration it's the front mount (under the radiator area) that needs replacing. Have a quick look see.

Also that's a bargain for an auto KF, even with those Ks.
1991 Ford Laser KF TX3 :: BP-T :: 2011-2015 109fwkW
2007 Ford Falcon BF XR6 Turbo Ute :: Barra 245T :: 2014-2019 324rwkW
1998 Ford Falcon AU XR8 Ute :: Windsor V8 :: 2019-2020
2008 Ford Fiesta XR4 :: Duratec 150 :: 2021-*
1998 Ford Falcon AU XR6 :: HP Intech :: 2021-*
VippiN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
bjr22n_
XR5TBO

i'll third this motion.
i'd pay extra $$$ to buy new parts, knowing they will last longer.

DJR Team mate #14
bjr22n_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 03:49 AM   #5
riverrat321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the help guys. It doesen't sound as bad as I thought. I spoke to a guy with a lancer who said it cost $1000 to do his cv joints. Had me very worried. I've just gotta stay awake one day and get some prices. I've ordered a user manual from the Library so hopefully that will tell me all I need.

Apart from that and the air con that doesen't work, the car drives well. Thanks heaps for the help.
riverrat321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
someon3
Starter Motor

I know this thread is old.

However, i have a question i need to ask. Input will be greatly appreciated.

I've got an 1.6L 1990 Laser KF(???) 5 door, sedan(or hatch, when i open the boot, the rear windscreen also got lift up, don't really know if it is hatch or sedan). When I'm turning it makes thick clicking noise.... I bought the car in a smasher repairer for inspection (minor collision) and he told me it's the CV joints need replaced.

He told me they could be recondition.... Would some one please fill me in here, is it worth it having them recondition? how much would that set me back and how long would they last me?

And yes similar to the first post, my car also vibrate moderately when idle, it goes away when accelarate... Is it important(safety wise) to have the engine mounts look at/taken care of too? I'm planning to bring the car to a mechanic for major service from the money i got from insurance. Might as well service them good to drive for another year or 2.

Cheers
someon3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post