Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 01-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
ddwilliams5
Starter Motor

Unhappy help my ford laser nobody else can seem to

Hi,

I have been to 2 mechanics now and no one seems to know whats wrong so heres the thing:

I start it fine of a morning reverse out the drive put into first gear and off I go but I have no acceleration I have to push the clutch and accelerator together like Im about to do a burn out to get the fuel through and I am fine, this goes on continuously for about 5 minutes once the car has been going for 5 minutes its fine, now if I was to come home and park it for half an hour it will do it again, wouldnt matter if I have been driving for 20 minutes or 2 hours.....I have had the fuel injectors done but that didnt fix the problem, she is a Laser Liata 1.8 1984

ddwilliams5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

check your fuel filter, it may be clogged. while you're there check spark plugs and leads and air filter.
SNB05T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2009, 12:47 AM   #3
ddwilliams5
Starter Motor

sorry negated to advise that the fuel filter has also been replaced along with plugs and leads....I m thinking fuel but to be honest have no idea
Old 02-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
MaTTe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it could be the fuel filter inside the tank on the fuel pump is the problem. or could be a fuel pump on its way out, but it'd give more problems than just when starting up..
Old 07-01-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Krytox
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

94'?
Cat converter?

If' she's done High K's, it could be a little tired.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:03 AM   #6
290v
290v

could be a the head gasket leaking water into one of the chambers running rough until the chamber is clear of water again have you tried removing the leads one at a time to see if one cyls are working?
Old 18-01-2009, 02:08 AM   #7
LESLIE G
OMG NOT AGAIN! DAM FORDS

Default maby

IM takeing a stab in the dark here prob first thing that got looked at but have you checked the auto choke ? sounds like it to me it could be flooding the car causing the splutteing (reving helps because it sucks more O2 into the car giving correct air/fule ratio) then when it warms up choke comes unstuck and runs fine ?? had a verry simula problem with a old magna i had

anyway good luck post back let us know how you went on :
Old 18-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Injected cars do not have an auto choke.

Have you left the car with them overnight, so they can try it when it's cold?

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
ddwilliams5
Starter Motor

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Injected cars do not have an auto choke.

Have you left the car with them overnight, so they can try it when it's cold?

They had the car for 4 days, when we replaced the leads and plugs one of the plugs had a lot of oil on it, since they have been replaced its not running as bad but still doing it it seems to only be in 2nd gear its driving me nuts and I need help cant afford to get a new car for another 12 months....
Old 21-01-2009, 08:16 AM   #10
ddwilliams5
Starter Motor

and the winner is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290v
could be a the head gasket leaking water into one of the chambers running rough until the chamber is clear of water again have you tried removing the leads one at a time to see if one cyls are working?
Old 21-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
290v
290v

thought so had a few dealings with Lasers have 3 in the family
Old 24-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #12
290v
290v

this is short term but Cemi weld does work just follow the instructions my friend had no money to fix his car so i told him to keep it running it lasted another 2 yrs before the head had to come off (Last resort) but when you come to fix it properly you will have the radiator flushed and the block to remove it all
Old 24-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
wesomc

Quote:
Does it seem to be blowing an unusual amount of steam out of the exhaust? Usually a good indicator, has it been using any coolant?
could also check compressions, fuel pressure, Engine Coolant Temp sensor.

Marine Blue EBII XR8 - GT40p's, Paceys, 3in mandrel bent exhaust, Explorer Manifold, YT 1.72 RR's, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, Thermo's...now manual

1967 Ford Futura coupe 289 C4 stock cruiser
wesomc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
ddwilliams5
Starter Motor

Have to refill the coolant every 2 days after only traveling to and from work approx 30KMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesomc
Does it seem to be blowing an unusual amount of steam out of the exhaust? Usually a good indicator, has it been using any coolant?
could also check compressions, fuel pressure, Engine Coolant Temp sensor.
Old 24-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #15
ddwilliams5
Starter Motor

Sold it for a grand, off to buy a new car tomorrow it was a piece of crap anyway not worth spending anymore money on.....thanks for your assistance though, greatly appreciated...

Quote:
this is short term but Cemi weld does work just follow the instructions my friend had no money to fix his car so i told him to keep it running it lasted another 2 yrs before the head had to come off (Last resort) but when you come to fix it properly you will have the radiator flushed and the block to remove it all