Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
Boosturd

Default Break-in potential

Anyone been broken into since installing gauges on top of their ICC? I park my car at an average train station all day and feel that advertising my car is not stock might increase the likelihood of a break in...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Twin Bush Diff Hat w/ Wavetrac LSD, Shockworks Coilovers, Jonny Tig 1800HP Cooler, Single Piece Carbon Fibre Tailshaft, Malwood Opt 3+, 4" X-Force Exhaust, KPM 1000HP Fuel System, Procharge 58mm Billet Wheeled Turbo
Boosturd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Break-in potential

Anything that catches the eye can lure someone to try to get in

I was going to install a extinguisher on the passegner footwell but thought against it as being a great big red standout item, thought against it.

I guess at a train station isnt the best place to park as does happen alot, break ins and probably just as vulnerable as anyone else.
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
Boosturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post
Anything that catches the eye can lure someone to try to get in

I was going to install a extinguisher on the passegner footwell but thought against it as being a great big red standout item, thought against it.

I guess at a train station isnt the best place to park as does happen alot, break ins and probably just as vulnerable as anyone else.
Such a shame we cant have nice things...

Twin Bush Diff Hat w/ Wavetrac LSD, Shockworks Coilovers, Jonny Tig 1800HP Cooler, Single Piece Carbon Fibre Tailshaft, Malwood Opt 3+, 4" X-Force Exhaust, KPM 1000HP Fuel System, Procharge 58mm Billet Wheeled Turbo
Old 07-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

If it's just the gauges you are concerned about attracting unwanted attention;
  • Paint the gauge holder black if it is shiny silver or light grey
  • In summer use a windscreen sunshade
  • In winter chuck an old windcheater on top of the dash
  • Darkest legal tinted windows also help a lot

But if they think it is a performance car, they are more likely to want to steal it rather than to just break-in.

Most break-ins happen when thieves can see something of value inside the car, irrespective of what type of car it is.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
adz137

I wouldn't be too concerned I park my car at one of the worst train stations in Geelong where cars get broken into almost on a weekly basis. For some reason the nice cars are always left alone (BMW X5, VF SS, FGX XR6 turbo, Audi S3) the ones that get broken into are usually old astra's, magna's, excels, mirage's etc.
adz137 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #6
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
If it's just the gauges you are concerned about attracting unwanted attention;
  • Paint the gauge holder black if it is shiny silver or light grey
  • In summer use a windscreen sunshade
  • In winter chuck an old windcheater on top of the dash
  • Darkest legal tinted windows also help a lot

But if they think it is a performance car, they are more likely to want to steal it rather than to just break-in.

Most break-ins happen when thieves can see something of value inside the car, irrespective of what type of car it is.
Thats pretty much what id be thinking. Not my local station, but the next one up has a magical car park. Cars disappear all the time. Maybe sunshade and a VB bar runner on the dash. Can't make it look to classy that way.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #7
Boosturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Thats pretty much what id be thinking. Not my local station, but the next one up has a magical car park. Cars disappear all the time. Maybe sunshade and a VB bar runner on the dash. Can't make it look to classy that way.
Nothing wrong with some VB. Theft control with a tuning device will hopefully offer some pretty good insurance. Just cannot be bothered with the PITA of replacing a window

Old 07-12-2017, 07:47 PM   #8
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosturd View Post
Nothing wrong with some VB. Theft control with a tuning device will hopefully offer some pretty good insurance. Just cannot be bothered with the PITA of replacing a window

The biggest issue is, putting stealing the car aside, most thieves just want whatever is in the car, they all have windows and regardless of car alarms or cameras or whatever, if a the if wants something they will do whatever they want to to get it. Even if there is nothing in the car thats no guarentee some junkie won't go searching. I've never had a car broken into, my brother had one stolen and 2 of my ex work mates had their work cars cleaned out. One van was parked under a camera at our old office, and the ute was cleaned out at mid day in a shopping centre car park in merrylands. I'm reasonably conservative on where I park my work ute in my own time, but I guess that's why you insure things (or work does).
Old 07-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #9
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

To avoid leaving things in sight in the cabin, most cautious owners will, of course, put any valuables in the boot.

The problem with this on the modern Falcons and other cars is once they break a window and open the door, they can easily get into the boot by folding the 60/40 split seats forward.

I've often thought about installing a lock that allows you to lock the seats in place (Locking from the rear of the back uprights of the seats from the boot), to add another layer of protection.

I reckon it could simply be done by anchoring two chains from the child restraint bolt below the parcel shelf and then to eyelet bolts anchoring the chain in the back steel frame of the seats by padlocks.

Hmm... Maybe my next mod.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:12 PM   #10
Kicking back

I question how legal that is. Not that your ever going to get done for it. My old mans jag has the rear fold down seat realeases in the boot but they can be reached through the ski hatch thing as the boot release is electric unless you can pull the tab thing in the boot. I'm guessing English people used to get kidnapped and thrown in the boot back in 02 or something.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #11
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I question how legal that is. Not that your ever going to get done for it. My old mans jag has the rear fold down seat realeases in the boot but they can be reached through the ski hatch thing as the boot release is electric unless you can pull the tab thing in the boot. I'm guessing English people used to get kidnapped and thrown in the boot back in 02 or something.
But in an FG, if you are locked in the boot, you cannot get out anyway.
There is no pull tab like in the BA / BF's (which Ford removed for cost saving ).
The boot release is electric and you cannot push the rear seats down as the catch releases are in the cabin, also no ski hatch.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #12
Kicking back

Quote:
There is no pull tab like in the BA / BF's (which Ford removed for cost saving ).
The boot release is electric and you cannot push the rear seats down as the catch releases are in the cabin, also no ski hatch.
Thats a valid point. I have a bf with the tab and the wife has a fg. The fg doesn't have trim on the boot lid so I try not to look at it.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #13
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Put up a sun sheild on the dash or drape a beach towel across your dash and steering wheel.
That way prying eyes won't see the obvious unless they stop and look in.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:37 PM   #14
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Get about 8 inches of light wire, tie a knot at the end and fit into FG-FGX boot lock were the BA-BF release cable used to fit, works perfectly! Costs nothing and takes 15 mins. Problem solved.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:08 AM   #15
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
Get about 8 inches of light wire, tie a knot at the end and fit into FG-FGX boot lock were the BA-BF release cable used to fit, works perfectly! Costs nothing and takes 15 mins. Problem solved.
Good idea... I am going to rig up a wire tab pull release anyway, because if you ever get a flat battery with the FG, you can't open the boot lid.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:24 AM   #16
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I put the BA cable in my FG. Just had to stick a velcro spot where I wanted the tab to sit.

If you get stuck in the boot of an FG with no boot trim, you can easily find the little lever on the side of the boot latch to release it. Having a boot trim would make this harder, but not impossible.

When I used to get a train to work, I would walk past dozens of cars parked near the station in the suburb where work was, that wasn't the most desirable place to live.

Most cars would have the ashtray and other compartments open, showing that they were empty. Almost weekly we'd see a smashed window in the arvo, that wasn't smashed in the morning - it was only the cars that looked promising that were targeted, and being that it was during working hours, more likely kids or junkies looking for small change & goods to sell - they won't hang around taking out gauges, but they will grab the coins and designer sunglasses left in the car. Just make it as unappealing as possible by having nothing loose at all in the car.

I had a company car broken into one time - while I was stopped at a traffic light. Junkie chucked a rock through the back passenger window & grabbed my jacket. Possibly assuming I'd left a wallet or something valuable in the pocket. He was so whacked he didn't even realise the car was idling and I was in it - waiting at a red light (admittedly it was the left/gutter lane I was stopped in). He freaked when I yelled & moved forward - dropping the jacket.

That same car had the boot lock drilled out & a laptop stolen when I was parked at a factory in Western Sydney. Only 3 cars down from the security hut. They saw nothing.....
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #17
Boosturd

I definitely feel that petty things like loose change are a hot and easy target. The bad thing about parking at the station is its almost a sure bet 90% of cars will be left there for the entire day with no one to supervise. If someone scouts out a nice car and they know what their doing, theres no limit to the fun they could have.

Its good to hear no one has been specifically targeted. It might be worth going towards the under ICC gauge option. I had an aftermarker stereo in my old Ba and simply put a map of a country town loosely across it to not grab attention and feel this could also work for gauges

Old 08-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #18
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
I put the BA cable in my FG. Just had to stick a velcro spot where I wanted the tab to sit.

If you get stuck in the boot of an FG with no boot trim, you can easily find the little lever on the side of the boot latch to release it. Having a boot trim would make this harder, but not impossible.
Unfortunately I installed insulation in the boot lid cavities and then the boot lid liner.
Mainly for extra sound proofing for my subwoofer.

So its going to be a little harder to release the boot latch for me.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #19
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Might as well hide a torch in there too. Then you can see what you are doing.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #20
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Might as well hide a torch in there too. Then you can see what you are doing.
... Or just hide a spare key fob in there
Old 08-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #21
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Easy fix mate. Buy a au falcon for $500, third party insurance, use it as the train station hack to and from, and keep the toy tucked away in the garage safe at home, dont **** around with keeping something nice at the station, you might aswell walk/cycle/ catch public transport.
xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #22
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I've often worried if my plastic nodding dog will be pinched at the station car park.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2017, 08:32 PM   #23
BigJamo
Yep ... BOOSTED

I have been thinking about gauges and where i was going to mount them. After reading this i will definitely be putting them at the bottom of the console. I think there is a member who custom makes them, stingray i think there called.
2014 (Feb) FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
6 speed Manual
BigJamo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I've often worried if my plastic nodding dog will be pinched at the station car park.
What about your wavy hand on a spring ?