Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Transistorised Radiator Fan

Anyone here been exposed to these on a smaller FWD Euro? Not a full CANBUS module, just tri-modal (off/slow/max) with a heatsinked transistor pack not unlike many cabin blowers.

Got what appears to be a faulty one on a Citroën (surprise, surprise). It won't return a signal to the PCM when actuated via diagnostics, and has a stored code reflecting the lack of this return signal in normal use. Runs constantly from a few seconds after startup and does not change speed.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Transistorised Radiator Fan

I presume these are like the thermatic fans made popular a few years ago in as much as they use a sensor to detect the temperature and operate accordingly or do they rely on getting a command via the CANBUS?

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

They’re a dumb fan that thinks it’s smart.

They have a relay for the high current feed, I think this is to limit a return spike when the motor stops.

The motor housing contains the pictured module encased in rubberised beige epoxy (mongrels!). Of the five pins, four are used - power and ground, control (modulation) signal and return signal. It’s like a 200A version of cabin fan controllers. I presume the choke visible is to restrict spikes, too. The fan when working, only operates low or high speed, it doesn’t pulse or vary beyond that.

Of course, a bit like BA steering columns, you have to buy everything in event of a failure - not just the motor.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Here's the circuit. The high amperage supply is switched with KOEO, the commutator segments for circuits at 90°, not 180°, and the positive is straight from relay to the brushes - it's the earth which is modulated.

I'm hung up with no knowledge of what the control signal voltage or characteristics are, ditto on the return. Suspect it's plain old DC. Any suggestions on low-risk evaluation?
Old 03-11-2019, 07:42 PM   #5
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

The control module seems to be temperature driven. The sig may just be to send a temperature dependant voltage to something else external to the fan unit?

Are you sure that the earth isn't straight to the fan body. (Difficult to tell from the photos)

Where's the choke you are referring to?
X-AHH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The fan body is earthed, including heatsink and back of the PCB, but it doesn't carry directly to a brush pair. Choke as I called it, is visible in the pinky-beige rubberised view of the control module (second photo).

Fan only has two speeds, it may be capable of more by design but that's how it is operated by this PCM. Modes are: Off (cool weather, low load, no AC), Low (AC on, low to moderate engine load), High (all conditions exceeding these parameters or temp sensor failure). Module failure mode found by me is Low speed.

The engine only has one temp sensor; it informs the dash via the PCM and CANBUS and also does duty for the PCM itself.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #7
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

How have you verified that the high speed isn't working. Is it being commanded by the PCM?

Kind of funky implementation of the fan isn't it. Is it PWM controlled? With the signal coming from the PCM and the fan controller driving it?
Old 03-11-2019, 10:33 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’ve got a crack of the factory diagnostic software, when I run either fan speed actuation (low or high) via the PCM it tells me the operation cannot be completed.

I presume it sends out the relevant command but is not getting the return signal expected. This is where I’m stuck without a scope.

Have been wondering how hard it might be to strip away the potting and see what’s under there. Don’t think it’s TO-3s as there’s nothing on the heatsink side that would reflect their riveting.

Edit to add, physically the motor is 100%. So I don’t feel it’s cooked its guts pushing a stiff motor.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:35 AM   #9
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Perhaps the speed high or low is dictated by sensed temperature?

The symbol on the circuit diagram seems to indicate that temperature plays a part in the module operation?
X-AHH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2019, 05:56 AM   #10
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’ve got a crack of the factory diagnostic software, when I run either fan speed actuation (low or high) via the PCM it tells me the operation cannot be completed.

I presume it sends out the relevant command but is not getting the return signal expected. This is where I’m stuck without a scope.

Have been wondering how hard it might be to strip away the potting and see what’s under there. Don’t think it’s TO-3s as there’s nothing on the heatsink side that would reflect their riveting.

Edit to add, physically the motor is 100%. So I don’t feel it’s cooked its guts pushing a stiff motor.
Have a look on eBay. You’d be surprise how cheap scopes are. And you get to buy another tool

That coating will be problematic
Old 04-11-2019, 07:38 AM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’ve seen how cheap they are, and seen the kits to use with laptops, it’s a hangup to want one of the old school units in tidy, calibrated form. :-/

The icons on that circuit diagram indicate the unit function relates to (is influenced by / interplays with) water temperature and AC.

I still reckon it’s massive overkill by the maker to use this on a 1.4 litre “city commuter” car. My Alfa simply has a resistor on the low speed and toggles with a relay. It’s never overheated when the fan is working (once when the fan was literally jammed against the radiator post-collision, it did get warm until it selected high speed and self-clearanced).

Just as a side note, the fan is Faurecia brand (the successor to ECIA components) and the control module Sagem.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:52 PM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’m definitely no Jason ACT. :-/

Killed the unit dead trying to remove the coating.

Plan B came into action. Hotwired the fan after fully bypassing the control board. Set it up to run always on at least low speed, via a fan speed resistor (not unlike the BF). Used a Davies-Craig controller to bypass the resistor for high speed operation, set to 91° probe temperature.

One problem remains. Without a return signal from the fan motor, the AC clutch won’t stay pulled in. So I need to work out how it can be spoofed.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:17 PM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Have shovel, will dig self a hole.

I'm now not sure if the AC clutching is a return signal issue or the solid state relay on its last legs (they are undersized). The clutch has a large air gap. A regular 40A relay with diode, might be clever.

Backprobed pins 1 & 2 of the three-way fan controller plug for DC voltage; 1 was V(bat) while 2 was 0.7V, seeming steady.