Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-03-2020, 05:43 PM   #1681
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

Today is 7 months since my last cigarette.

About 100 packs not smoked

About $3,500 saved.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2020, 05:47 PM   #1682
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

kero and a match also work well.
another idea for bees under a building......metal tray, thin layer of petrol, push under building and run like hell is after you.

did that with a 40' container 6" off the ground and big fat bees nest possibly 6 moths old. got a roll of Uni-Pro 550mm 25m Plastic Drop Down Sheet With Masking Tape sealed around the base of container and covered bottom of plastic with dirt. left a small gap where I pushed the metal tray through. Faaart did they get upset, but 48 hours later had a win, ruined a huge honey comb though
Old 02-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #1683
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
kero and a match also work well.
another idea for bees under a building......metal tray, thin layer of petrol, push under building and run like hell is after you.

did that with a 40' container 6" off the ground and big fat bees nest possibly 6 moths old. got a roll of Uni-Pro 550mm 25m Plastic Drop Down Sheet With Masking Tape sealed around the base of container and covered bottom of plastic with dirt. left a small gap where I pushed the metal tray through. Faaart did they get upset, but 48 hours later had a win, ruined a huge honey comb though
Much much smarter move would have been to call beekeeper to remove the hive.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-03-2020, 08:18 PM   #1684
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was only 6" gap between ground and frame of container, these little beees had made their hive under the floorboards between the metal frame. Was impossible to get under there without excavating a hole,
3 bee keepers did come (2 personal friends)

it worked well.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #1685
.:4:.
Kicking back

Bit of a double barreled one. My kid keeps breaking himself. So he is down for the count for this season for soccer. Thats not good. But onwards and upwards he wants to learn an instrument. Specifically drumkit. I didnt say no as i did percussion and got the top mark in the top grade taking the easy option when i was 17, yeah, drumkit. So as i dont like to talk to my ex wife, my advice was start with piano and move into general percussion. Xylophones, tympany, stuff like that. Proper learning music and reading sheet music. Yes there is a difference between making noise and playing a drumkit, but anybody can jump on a kit and make noise. But my kid is sort of the opposite of me. I was crap at sports. He has broken more bones then i can remember. Maybe music can be his creative outlet. Im more then happy if he gets lessons to gift and re tune my kit for him. That thing has a stupid amount of money thrown into parts on it.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2020, 08:53 PM   #1686
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

He could learn darbouka, then you have a legit reason to watch belly dancing performances where he’s drumming.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2020, 09:24 PM   #1687
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Another one of those bittersweet moments today. Took my father to his weekly physio session at the nursing home. It’s an hour of fairly intense one-on-one so I stay in case he gets disoriented or distressed.

Towards the end of the session, the physio brings over a small plastic step platform, and tries to demonstrate the exercise required - to lift a foot and “tap” the top of the step, then repeat with the other foot. Anyway, silly bugger just can’t grasp the idea of not actually standing on the top of this step, despite the physio chap demonstrating half a dozen times.

Eventually as the instructor turns away for a moment in frustration, old man places both feet solidly on top of this little platform and announces loudly to the room “I’m the king of the castle”. The place echoed with laughter.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2020, 09:47 PM   #1688
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Another one of those bittersweet moments today. Took my father to his weekly physio session at the nursing home. It’s an hour of fairly intense one-on-one so I stay in case he gets disoriented or distressed.

Towards the end of the session, the physio brings over a small plastic step platform, and tries to demonstrate the exercise required - to lift a foot and “tap” the top of the step, then repeat with the other foot. Anyway, silly bugger just can’t grasp the idea of not actually standing on the top of this step, despite the physio chap demonstrating half a dozen times.

Eventually as the instructor turns away for a moment in frustration, old man places both feet solidly on top of this little platform and announces loudly to the room “I’m the king of the castle”. The place echoed with laughter.
Mate, the proclamation sounds worth it. Yes it may to a degree make you think in the back of your mind. Well, im not going to say anymore. Your old bloke is still there. Still a character, a person, maybe not 100% but still there. My old man kicked it aged 65. That was last year. My ex wifes dad has been in a nursing home for years now, pretty much kept in bed for 21 hours a day. No mind etc. My grandparents are mid 90s and still get about as good as really old people can. Just appreciate it as long as it lasts.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 08:19 AM   #1689
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Woke to solid rain fall for a second day, we have finally got some good amounts here.
Only thing wrong is running out of stone, one day left to finish Wodonga entrance but have to get into the flood prone quarry to pick corners.

Happy for all the local farmers.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 08:26 AM   #1690
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quaries in the wet .... that'd be "fun" to negotiate.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #1691
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Quaries in the wet .... that'd be "fun" to negotiate.
Yep, firm enough in the pit being solid granite floor but sometimes drive through water as deep as the door footwells on the truck.
Mind not as bad as some of the NSW Central Coast ones easy to bog down to the axles there.
Oh well, enjoying the rain.

3 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #1692
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Sounds like Kimbriki in the wet; the challenge is to keep the skids and fishtailing to an acceptable level.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:58 AM   #1693
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Sounds like Kimbriki in the wet; the challenge is to keep the skids and fishtailing to an acceptable level.
Was interesting doing courier work in conditions like this I can tell you
Even the BFII XLS had no ABS on it ... and being factory LPG ... no traction control either.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #1694
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I have enough requirements forced on me to even go in the quarry as it is without resorting to circle work in the truck.

2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 11:19 AM   #1695
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

You’re going in empty and coming out full; mine is the opposite - coming up a steep, wet, sandy, concrete roadway to “Weighbridge D” with nil ballast.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #1696
roKWiz
Cabover nut

yeah, I'm coming down a busy with bigger trucks, steep dirt road onto the weighbridge with 3 tons of granite on board.
I can see how some truck and dogs get caught out.

2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #1697
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Thumbs up Re: What made you feel good today?

Care package from the gay nomads.

Zefir cakes, a highly addictive Russian sweet. I wonder how many packets were in there before AQIS checked it out?
Old 05-03-2020, 05:10 PM   #1698
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Arriving at the IGA just as the Sorbent truck pulled up with a fresh load.

#winning.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 07:54 PM   #1699
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Michael Bloomberg giving up on the US Presidency. He, like many of his ilk, believe that if it wasn't Putin who installed Trump into the White House, then Donald himself purchased his way to the US Presidency. How wrong they all are. Bloomberg may be wealthy like Trump, but unlike Trump he offers the people more of the same. People are tired of career politicians which Donald clearly isn't. And that is why the political elite detest the 45th US President - he is not one of them and he threatens their cosy existence.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 10:04 PM   #1700
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Walking in the door and cracking a beer after a B double crossed onto the wrong side of the rd and rolled right in front of me !!

I guess it just wasn't my time.

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 10:53 PM   #1701
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What made me laugh today? ... reading about lemmings panic buying loo paper. ROFL
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2020, 04:23 PM   #1702
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Yup
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #1703
Kicking back

2 things today. I wanted mexican for lunch but the mexican place had moved. Gave the apprentice the job of finding another one, and he came good on that. So a good lunch was had. After lunch i was looking for work and just my luck a job in parramatta came up. For me thats good, friday arvo traffic from the city home is always horrendous. So for me it was a 10 minute drive home as i live nearby. I dont give a crap if the apprentice takes 30 minutes longer to get home to glebe, he's on the train so can be on his phone or whatever for the trip. Plus we got out of work half an hour early anyways. I was into my first beer by the time my 8 hours was up, cant complain about that on a friday.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2020, 05:29 PM   #1704
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Knocked off early for the long weekend and just watched the Brumbies win again. 4/5 and a narrow 1 point loss. Usually late starters but coming good straight out of the blocks this year
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2020, 07:01 PM   #1705
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Finished the front brakes on Foster Ute, new dimpled and slotted RDA gear in standard size. Hopefully get 60K out of them.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:44 AM   #1706
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remaining three Roosters from last years chickens went out the door to a nice Indian man who's rehoming them...Peace on the homestead for a bit.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2020, 03:35 PM   #1707
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Remaining three Roosters from last years chickens went out the door to a nice Indian man who's rehoming them...Peace on the homestead for a bit.
“Rehoming” them? In his face I presume?

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 07-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #1708
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
“Rehoming” them? In his face I presume?
Winner winner chicken dinner...
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #1709
Kicking back

Got offered my dads car today. It was the thought that counted really. My sister was surprised when i said nah, dont want it. My dad would never sell that car. I remember when he got it in 2002. His lifelong goal was to one day buy a jaguar. But like jags from that era, every single they all do that issue, this car has. Even though its only done 110k. Plus i already have 2 other cars so i dont need a 3rd. I would have said yes if it was his fully optioned 2015 audi q5, but his widdow is keeping that.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:15 AM   #1710
Trevor 57
is now there

Got a phone call from my son yesterday, but it broke off before he could talk. I tried to ring back, nothing, tried to ring his wife, nothing. hmmm I thought something smells fishy

After about an hour of trying to ring and text he finally rings back and tells me that he and his family were stuck in the bush in the 4x4, front buried. He is a very experienced 4x4er, he went to turn his Patrol around and the drove into what he thought was a just a pool of dirty water, well the front disappeared into a muddy hole with virtually no bottom. He couldn't winch forward it would have taken him deeper in, so he set up an elaborate pulley system but the fat car wouldn't come out. In the last attempt to get it out the bloody winch rope came off the spool

So he got his missus and 2 little girls and started walking out before it got dark, got about 5k's out when a car pulled up and gave them a lift to Thornton where he rang me

So I loaded up the Ranger with all my recovery gear including my 25yo Tirfor winch and my son-in-law, met them at Thornton, headed to get the car out.

We thought we would trying snatching it out first, we had a couple of goes but he big problem trying to snatch him was that I couldn't get a straight run at him, I was at about a 90 degree angle so it pulled me sideways and didn't move him, so the Tirfor was anchored to a big gum in a straight line, my son and S.I.L cranked the Tirfor while I guided the car out. It just popped out like a pimple. The front of his Pootrol was buried bloody deep and nothing for the front wheels to get traction on, just a big pool of very very soft muddy water. It made for a very interesting Monday evening hahahaha.

I am waiting for the sun to rise so that I can check out my car, bloody blackberries everywhere.

Every one was safe and that is all that matters.