Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Ford workers break their silence on faulty transmissions: 'My hands are dirty. I feel horrible'

Quote:
Ford workers break their silence on faulty transmissions: 'My hands are dirty. I feel horrible'

Phoebe Wall Howard, Detroit Free Press
USA TODAY December 6, 2019
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-...145800004.html

DETROIT – They knew the truth and kept quiet.

Their secret wasn’t a secret at all in engineering, product development, research, design or manufacturing within Ford Motor Co., say seven current and former employees who worked to develop and launch the Fiesta and Focus cars that would become known for defective automatic transmissions.

“My hands are dirty. I feel horrible,” said an engineer who played a key role in developing the popular compact cars.

“You think of the gentleman who stood up for the space shuttle Challenger, saying if they launched that with the ice on it that it’s going to blow up. Well, these kinds of really horrific technical errors seemed to pass right through at Ford on this project,” the engineer said.

Asked whether the company ignored early warnings from its experts, Ford said the "vehicles were safe when they were introduced after rigorous testing during development, and remain so today after more than a decade on the road and billions of miles accumulated by customers around the globe."

More: Ford knew Focus, Fiesta models had flawed transmission, sold them anyway

The engineer said: “We’d raise our hands and be told, ‘Don’t be naysayers.’ We got strange comments. It seemed the ship had sailed. After that, if you ask questions, you’re accused of mutiny, so you put your head down and make it work. Good people tried to make it work. But you can’t violate the laws of physics. It’s a mechanical catastrophe.”

He was referring to the DPS6 dual-clutch "PowerShift" transmission used in 2 million Focus and Fiesta cars sold this decade that is the subject of massive litigation and a federal criminal fraud probe.

"It was cheap to make and cheap to assemble," the engineer said, but because the DPS6 used "dry" clutch technology, it couldn't cool itself, ensuring failures in real-world use.

more at link....
This is what happens when you have idiots running Billion dollar companies
who think they can "wiggle" on warranty and just obfuscate the truth.

The longer this goes on in public the more Ford will be kicked to the gutter,
they can't hide behind ignorance and it appears that Fields also tried to do
a deal with Getrag to get more warranty money....

The whole thing is a giant fiasco and the ruling in Australia, just the tip of the iceberg.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford workers break their silence on faulty transmissions: 'My hands are dirty. I feel horrible'

Just goes to prove, cheap to buy (build) doesn't equate to cheap to use...

Last edited by Dr Smith; 06-12-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Ford workers break their silence on faulty transmissions: 'My hands are dirty. I feel horrible'

Job security is a key threat here, all the development work started during
the global financial crisis and Ford used that to gag any critisism of the DPS6.

All developed under laughing boy Mulally's watch, and kept buried by Fields and Hackett.
They kept buyers hanging for years all the while knowing this S***y gearbox could never
be properly fixed.

Quote:
Engineers and others involved in the Fiesta and Focus programs told the Free Press that speaking up during development of the vehicles was fruitless. They say they feared losing their jobs during the dramatic economic downturn that chased General Motors and Chrysler into bankruptcy.
Quote:
“This thing, in engineering terms, had its own momentum,” said a veteran engineer who attended hundreds of meetings involving the vehicles. “All of a sudden, the project took on a life of its own, and off it went.”
Quote:
On top of everything, U.S. Department of Justice fraud investigators opened a probe into Ford's conduct involving the transmission dating to 2010. It subpoenaed material earlier this year seeking to learn whether the company knew the transmissions were defective and couldn't be fixed and whether it lied to federal safety regulators.
Quote:
The seven Ford insiders interviewed for this article include engineers present for planning meetings as far back as 2006, and some people still employed by the company. One engineer still has his paper calendar entries listing who attended crisis meetings in 2010.

They shared detailed experiences on the condition that they not be named because they fear being identified could threaten their current jobs and their ability to work in the auto industry in the future. Information the insiders provided in separate interviews was consistent with each others’ accounts and with internal Ford documents and emails the Free Press obtained during its investigation.

Some of the engineers and product designers say they agreed to talk because spouses and religious advisers suggested it might help ease feelings of guilt and their worry about the safety of drivers today.

"I told one friend if he loved his stepdaughter, he'd get her out of that Fiesta as quick as possible," one of the company's mechanical experts said on Nov. 25. "I wouldn't put my kid in one of those cars."
This user likes this post:
Old 06-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Did Ford develop the DSG with Getrag, or did they pay Getrag to use an existing trans or design a new one for Ford?

Or were Getrag just the supplier?

I'm interested to know Getrags role in this fiasco.

No wonder Ford no longer sell the Fiesta and Focus in the US. They completely tarnished it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Did Ford develop the DSG with Getrag, or did they pay Getrag to use an existing trans or design a new one for Ford?

Or were Getrag just the supplier?

I'm interested to know Getrags role in this fiasco.

No wonder Ford no longer sell the Fiesta and Focus in the US. They completely tarnished it.
As i understand it, the gearbox was developed by Getrag and a former Ford
Transmission engineer in touch with that project said the gearbox was never
intended for Focus as it was much heavier and more powerful than Fiesta.

As the engineering team got into development, it became obvious that the
dry clutch set up was problematic but needed to keep costs down. A wet
clutch setup would have fixed the problem, but cost just as much as a true
automatic.

The engineers tried to tell Ford management that there was a problem that
couldn't be fixed - the email trail was kept contrary to Ford corporate regulations
to delete and shred all documents once project work is done, will be good when
a senior VP has to take the stand, the wheels will really fall off then.
4 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #6
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We all know in Big Business and Politics, this is how the problem is treated until it goes away and moves onto something else.

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Leave the DSG for the $500,000 Ferrari, torque converter autos for everything else IMO.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2019, 11:27 PM   #8
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From my own personal perspective, this issue is still affecting them. Mum ended up buying another Focus because she’s a creature of habit. Myself on the other hand, after having dealt with Ford through this whole saga, can’t bring myself to buy through them again. Never have I experienced treatment like that from any company like I did from Ford.

Some might say all manufacturers are like that but I haven’t experienced it from anyone else so I can’t comment either way.

Surely I can’t be the only one who feels like this.
Adamz Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2019, 11:53 PM   #9
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

I love my FGII XR6T and am trying to do everything to keep it going, without being ripped off. Is there another Ford that I'd be happy with, Mustang perhaps? Oh, so close, but nah. There's better value to be had without dealing with anything like this from the O/S branch.

Not sure I'll ever let my Aussie build go. Probably won't be a daily in 10 years time though.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2019, 10:06 AM   #10
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
From my own personal perspective, this issue is still affecting them. Mum ended up buying another Focus because she’s a creature of habit. Myself on the other hand, after having dealt with Ford through this whole saga, can’t bring myself to buy through them again. Never have I experienced treatment like that from any company like I did from Ford.

Some might say all manufacturers are like that but I haven’t experienced it from anyone else so I can’t comment either way.

I think adam this has been the whole point for many who have seen this saga unfold & have said from the start that Ford has massively screwed up with this in how they are managing this issue from the start & even to now.

Knowing what we all know now, & many suspected from the start, albeit would have been a huge financial hit at the time, Ford should have just taken them back & allowed those who brought new the option of moving into a newer Ford vehicle without the financial hit compared to the negativity that it's created where even Ford loyalists are willing to wash their hands of the brand.

10,000 happy customers having a problem fixed is much better than having 10,000 angry customers going to court complaining and tarnishing their reputation.

I still thank the day the dealer warned me off the focus when I went to buy one & put me back into another car instead.
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #11
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
As i understand it, the gearbox was developed by Getrag and a former Ford
Transmission engineer in touch with that project said the gearbox was never
intended for Focus as it was much heavier and more powerful than Fiesta.

As the engineering team got into development, it became obvious that the
dry clutch set up was problematic but needed to keep costs down. A wet
clutch setup would have fixed the problem, but cost just as much as a true
automatic.

The engineers tried to tell Ford management that there was a problem that
couldn't be fixed - the email trail was kept contrary to Ford corporate regulations
to delete and shred all documents once project work is done, will be good when
a senior VP has to take the stand, the wheels will really fall off then.
I would love to know how the conversations between Ford and Getrag went and are still going.

As a supplier do you supply a product knowing it's not dsigned for the vehicle size where the customer (Ford) is going to install it and then say sorry we cannot cover the warranty if you do?

I'd love to know what $'s were saved in buying the dry-clutch unit and what it's cost meeting warranty, litigation, penalties, plus the hard to put value on "product reputation" and "brand image"...

Could this partly explain why Ford did a JV with GM on developing their current 8, 9 & 10 speed torque converter autos.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 07-12-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:55 AM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
I would love to know how the conversations between Ford and Getrag went and are still going.

As a supplier do you supply a product knowing it's not dsigned for the vehicle size where the customer (Ford) is going to install it and then say sorry we cannot cover the warranty if you do?

I'd love to know what $'s were saved in buying the dry-clutch unit and what it's cost meeting warranty, litigation, penalties, plus the hard to put value on "product reputation" and "brand image"...

Could this partly explain why Ford did a JV with GM on developing their current 8, 9 & 10 speed torque converter autos.
During Fields testimony in July, quite a lot was revealed but I can't find the article...
Old 07-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #13
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
During Fields testimony in July, quite a lot was revealed but I can't find the article...
Yep, all I could find to my own questions was this:
Quote:
A 2016 DPS6 update, obtained earlier by the Free Press, noted that a “seal and clutch settlement” with Getrag involved a $50 million payment that released the supplier from claims as well as a $250 million maximum payout over 10 years related to a settlement among Ford, Getrag and another supplier. Ford also obtained from Getrag a factory in Irapuato, Mexico, as part of the deal.

Fields, a former Ford CEO, gave a deposition in DPS6 litigation this summer.

And I also cannot find what Fields divulged.

It's going to get worse as the previous settlement is now being investigated.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #14
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A stupid question.
How hard, and what would the cost be to convert one to a manual?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2019, 04:43 PM   #15
olds

“You think of the gentleman who stood up for the space shuttle Challenger, saying if they launched that with the ice on it that it’s going to blow up. Well, these kinds of really horrific technical errors seemed to pass right through at Ford on this project,” the engineer said.

Lucky Ford engineers and product development people dont work in the aerospace industry
olds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #16
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ford and GM jointly developed a fwd 6 speed auto in the past. GM used them in their small cars but Ford only used them in their larger ones.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2019, 09:29 PM   #17
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can feel a Barra swap coming on...

(+ZF!)
Old 07-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #18
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

This sounds very similar to the issues VW faced with their dry clutch DSG boxes in Golfs. There were no issues with the wet clutch versions in other models.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2019, 11:04 PM   #19
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a dsg diesel I30, and yes depending on how you drive, you can overheat the clutches. But avoid that and its fine. Did the focus DSG's have a similar problem, ie it depended on the driving involved? I would imagine that I wouldnt have an overheating problem with a focus DSG.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #20
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dry clutch is stupid for a normal road car. Sure it’s cheaper and more efficient, but cars need to be durable, not last a few laps on a F1 track
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #21
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Ford dodgey transmissions have been a big bain on the company in recent times as we all know . Maybe it's a bit like 'trying to keep up with the Jones's '.. Lot's of others have new age tranny's so we will too . Then again some might say you need to speculate to accumulate . We'll have to wait and see I guess .

Kind of reminds me of the mid to late 1990's when four wheel steer was the new thing . The BMW head honcho (forget his name) was asked why BMW hadn't gone down that path and he responded by saying that when your cars handled really well already why would you want to mess with stuff like that .

Could be a case of KISS... Keep It Simple Stupid .

Last edited by roddy1960; 08-12-2019 at 10:52 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

This is more about corporate culture rather than the DSG gearbox itself, the bigwigs sit in their own echo chamber.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #23
Trevor 57
is now there

Ford have a history of dodgy stuff, it goes back a long way - look a Pinto, GT-40 to name a couple
Old 08-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
This is more about corporate culture rather than the DSG gearbox itself, the bigwigs sit in their own echo chamber.
No different to 'experts on internet forums'.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #25
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Just goes to prove, cheap to buy (build) doesn't equate to cheap to use...
What is a replacement Powershift transmission worth if you bought it through Ford?

High 4 digits?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #26
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post

Nope - After Ford screwed me on my Focus I bout 2 new Mitsubishis.

Will stick to Korean or Japanese cars now.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #27
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Serves them right for being a can't of a company. Take them to the cleaners I say.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
No different to 'experts on internet forums'.
Except 'experts on internet forums' aren't calling the shots of a multi billion dollar global operation trying to stiff customers out of their entitlements
Old 08-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Nope - After Ford screwed me on my Focus I bout 2 new Mitsubishis.

Will stick to Korean or Japanese cars now.
Interestingly enough yours was a wet clutch DSG car too from memory
Old 08-12-2019, 05:56 PM   #30
123Cat
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its their job to save money for the corporation ( Ford exceutives)

You remember Ford told the Judge he did not know what safety was in that case of the Ford TFI ignition module

They lost that case