Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2020, 08:32 AM   #1
FordGeezer

Default Most Reliable and DIY Ford Ute?

I'll be in the market for a 2 door manual Ute at around the end of the year.
What do you guys reckon would be a good model to buy for reliability, and DIY repairs if something goes pear shaped?
FordGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2020, 08:35 AM   #2
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Most Reliable and DIY Ford Ute?

Your best bang for buck would be the AU in my opinion for ease to work on and cheep to repair.

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2020, 08:40 AM   #3
FordGeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconhell74 View Post
Your best bang for buck would be the AU in my opinion for ease to work on and cheep to repair.
Would you reckon the Au3?
I've seen people say get the last model made of a series, because they've usually ironed out the kinks.
Old 22-01-2020, 08:43 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Yep .... for simplicity reasons ... and less sensors/electrickery to muck around with.
And for reliability and longevity ... the AU was the first of the I6's that were pretty bullet proof really.

And had more options of manual in them that later ones.
More base models had manual in them than B-series.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
FordGeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Yep .... for simplicity reasons ... and less sensors/electrickery to muck around with.
And for reliability and longevity ... the AU was the first of the I6's that were pretty bullet proof really.

And had more options of manual in them that later ones.
More base models had manual in them than B-series.
Avoiding all that electrical voodoo is high on my list.
An Au3 would be the way to go then?
Old 22-01-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Yeah ... they didn't suffer weird sensor related issues as much as B-series.
And things like audio are not integrated into systems like it is in later models.
Old 22-01-2020, 09:17 AM   #7
FordGeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Yeah ... they didn't suffer weird sensor related issues as much as B-series.
And things like audio are not integrated into systems like it is in later models.
Cheers for the direction.
Hopefully it's not to hard to find a manual Au3, plenty of autos but not so much manual from a quick search I just did.
Old 22-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

You'll get more options in XR6 and XR8.
But even they are getting thin on the ground as well.
And their pricing is going up as well.
Old 22-01-2020, 09:35 AM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Manual AUs will suffer from busted firewall, pedal box and clutch cable issues.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2020, 09:44 AM   #10
Swordie

VY ecotec and Hilux.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Manual AUs will suffer from busted firewall, pedal box and clutch cable issues.
True.

But easier to chase/diagnose/fix than B-series Fly-by-wire sensor weirdness that could be anything from TPS/pedal sensor/power steering pressure switch (which all reside on the same 5v loom).

All while the data loggers report a TPS problem when it is clearly not.
Old 22-01-2020, 09:49 AM   #12
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

The AU3 is very much the same as the AU2. The differeces were nothing more than minor equipment upgrades and trim changes.

Don't pass on an AU2 thinking that an AU3 is a better car.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #13
FordGeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
The AU3 is very much the same as the AU2. The differeces were nothing more than minor equipment upgrades and trim changes.

Don't pass on an AU2 thinking that an AU3 is a better car.
That is some handy information.
Cheers!
Old 22-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #14
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you wanted a good reliable workhorse, wouldn't the auto trans be the better bet ?

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #15
FordGeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
If you wanted a good reliable workhorse, wouldn't the auto trans be the better bet ?

Dr Terry
Main reasons I'm after a manual is easy DIY in repairing it and simpler design less that can go wrong then a auto, also I just like that it gives me a bit more control.
I currently have an Auto Au1 which I'm passing onto a family member.

Here's a quick story about when I brought it.
So I picked her up for $3500 with the road worthy to boot I was pretty happy about it to, still had a real nice body for a 20 year old car (;
And I was driving her around for around 2 weeks when IT happened...Auto shat its self in the middle of Geelong!
It wasn't completely rooted but, I was able to just crawl home, mean while it was clunking and grinding all the way back.
So I parked her in the drive way for the night and called the tow guy next day.
Mechanic looks her over and says she just needs some more Auto oil so he tops her up and she was right to go...or so I thought...
About 3 days later I'm out at the rubbish tip, I unload all my crap and hop in the old girl, start her up, and "CLUNK CRUNCH!" Goes the trans and then I go "F#CK!"

So another tow later back to the mechanic and he says "yeah the transmission is done"

He gives me a couple of options being second hand trans for $270 or reconditioned for $2000, I went for the obvious choice being the second hand trans, he chucks it in and It's been right as rain for the past 2 years now no issues.
It ended up costing me around $2300 give or take mechanic bills and towing.
Old 22-01-2020, 12:25 PM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

AU's are getting a bit long in the tooth, and like most older Falcons, parts supplies are starting to dry up. Due to potential parts availability issues, I would go for the most recent model that's within budget.
Old 22-01-2020, 12:40 PM   #17
FordGeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
AU's are getting a bit long in the tooth, and like most older Falcons, parts supplies are starting to dry up. Due to potential parts availability issues, I would go for the most recent model that's within budget.
It's a real bloody shame too, it's no longer as easy as getting a part and bolting it in like you said the parts are drying up, sure you can go and grab a part off of another vehicle at the wreckers but there not new and the part being potentially 20 years old it's a hit and miss if it's going to last very long.
Cheers for the angle.
Old 22-01-2020, 01:36 PM   #18
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU ute also has the bench seat option (not with manual though?)

FWIW we've run the BA style sensors in our Terry for 12 years from new now and never had a glitch, 300,000km done. The suspension, however...

Everyone I talk to rates the FG very highly, later ones are said to be very reliable. Super nice cars to drive too. There are some mechanics on the forum and they probably know better than I do as to what goes wrong.

If you want full mechanical reliabilty, overhaul an XW with mechanical distributor and carby Mad Max level safety in those though!

Yep, the AU probably hits the sweet spot....
Old 22-01-2020, 03:18 PM   #19
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you get the answers you wanted above?
From your responses, I'm assuming they hit the mark, and what you're looking for is a Falcon Ute, as opposed to something like a Ranger??

Really depends on your budget, and your penchant for DIY repairs. No offence, but paying a mechanic $2k to tow and fit a 2nd hand box, does not sound very DIY?
I'm not having a go, its a serious point. Old cars are only cheap if you can do major work yourself.

Initially, I too would recommend the AU2. The Intech engines are very smooth (for a Falcon) and just about indestructible.
They fixed a few things on the series 2, like the brakes and some steeting components. If you're looking at a basic 6, then yes series 3 was a comsetic upgrade. (Much nicer interiors, but you can always buy seat covers.)

And yes, as others have said, the lack of an ICC is s huge bonus. You can cheaply and easily fit a modern double-DIN head-unit, with a nice touch screen, reverse camera, DAB, satnav, android-connect, etc.

But yes (as others have said) these cars are getting long in the tooth. The issue with parts is that for some you may need to scour the depths of ebay and wreckers, which is fine for DIY, but many repairers will just say "nah, can't get the parts mate."

My 2nd recommendation would just be the basic "set your budget, and find the newest/lowest k B-Series you can afford."

Only thing I will add, if you should revert back to an auto, stay away from the ZF 6-speeds, as they are easy to break and costly to fix.
As long as you check the fluid level semi-regularly (annual service) the BTR 4 speeds are pretty tough.
Old 22-01-2020, 04:33 PM   #20
FordGeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Did you get the answers you wanted above?
From your responses, I'm assuming they hit the mark, and what you're looking for is a Falcon Ute, as opposed to something like a Ranger??

Really depends on your budget, and your penchant for DIY repairs. No offence, but paying a mechanic $2k to tow and fit a 2nd hand box, does not sound very DIY?
I'm not having a go, its a serious point. Old cars are only cheap if you can do major work yourself.

Initially, I too would recommend the AU2. The Intech engines are very smooth (for a Falcon) and just about indestructible.
They fixed a few things on the series 2, like the brakes and some steeting components. If you're looking at a basic 6, then yes series 3 was a comsetic upgrade. (Much nicer interiors, but you can always buy seat covers.)

And yes, as others have said, the lack of an ICC is s huge bonus. You can cheaply and easily fit a modern double-DIN head-unit, with a nice touch screen, reverse camera, DAB, satnav, android-connect, etc.

But yes (as others have said) these cars are getting long in the tooth. The issue with parts is that for some you may need to scour the depths of ebay and wreckers, which is fine for DIY, but many repairers will just say "nah, can't get the parts mate."

My 2nd recommendation would just be the basic "set your budget, and find the newest/lowest k B-Series you can afford."

Only thing I will add, if you should revert back to an auto, stay away from the ZF 6-speeds, as they are easy to break and costly to fix.
As long as you check the fluid level semi-regularly (annual service) the BTR 4 speeds are pretty tough.
Haha no offence taken, at the time I was new to DIY and neither had the tools, nor the solid ground to work with my house is on a hill with a gravel carport...bad combo.
Since then I've gotten quite a few tools and I have access to a mate's nice concrete floored shed, wish I had it sooner.
Yeah if I can't get a decent Au2 Ute when the time comes I will probably dish out for a newer model.
Thanks for the heads up with the ZFs, I'll avoid em like the plague.
Cheers
Old 22-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #21
hayseed

A colleague Of Mine has a Very Straight Unmolested XP Ute for Sale...

Can't get much more DIY than that..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2020, 05:01 PM   #22
FordGeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post

They are a nice looking vehicle, he would be after a pretty penny but wouldn't he?
Old 22-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #23
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I presume you mean you want a Falcon ute rather than a Ford badge.If you want the Ford badge you might look at PJ-PK single cab Ranger,very reliable,economical, and not to bad to drive if you put a couple of hundred kilos on the tray to settle the bounce down.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #24
FordGeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I presume you mean you want a Falcon ute rather than a Ford badge.If you want the Ford badge you might look at PJ-PK single cab Ranger,very reliable,economical, and not to bad to drive if you put a couple of hundred kilos on the tray to settle the bounce down.
Yeah more after a Ford Ute, I did think about a Ford Badge, but their a bit more then what I need , I was even thinking about a 90s F150 but again I just don't need a beast like that...at the moment anyway heahea.
Old 22-01-2020, 07:10 PM   #25
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FG all the way. AUs are old. FGs are built fair better, drive far better and much safer.
78xcgxl is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2020, 07:00 AM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
That was the "old" ethos with these transmissions.
They are more affordable 2nd hand if there is a need to replace them.

There are options out there now to remove the milkshake woes. Which ... BTW ... affect BTR/ION 4-speed autos as well ... they are not immune to it.

The servicing costs are a little more ... I do understand that if using the Lifeguard 6 fluid.

But easy to break ... yeah nah.
I've been trying to break mine ..... it still going bloody well. And really aids and awesome fuel economy compared to the 4-speed. And when it comes to drivability ... the ZF is miles ahead.

If looking at FG's .... DONT get the 5-speed 5R55 .... they break easily.

But the OP is have manual .... if you can find a decent later FG ... as they had a lot of the bugs ironed out and are pretty flawless and drive really well .... they have the TR6060 6-speed manual in them which is better again.

They can suffer from roll-over noise at idle in neutral ... but they can be suppressed a bit when adding slightly more trans fluid to it. But all in a all a pretty good box in them.
Old 23-01-2020, 07:35 AM   #27
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post

Hayseed, I like all the other suggestions of reliable, DYI ??
The XP will probably be the only one suggested still going in 30 years time.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz

You completely lost me here. The ZF is a much more reliable unit than the 4 speed. Only real issue is the milkshake which can be avoided pretty easily. Much stronger gearbox too. But they are more expensive to fix.

I've had to rebuild 4 speed BTR's too many bloody times.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2020, 01:19 PM   #29
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
You completely lost me here. The ZF is a much more reliable unit than the 4 speed. Only real issue is the milkshake which can be avoided pretty easily. Much stronger gearbox too. But they are more expensive to fix.

I've had to rebuild 4 speed BTR's too many bloody times.
Have had a rebuilt BTR .... still on stock ZF with a replacement factory heat exchanger.
Old 23-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #30
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

It really depends what youre after in a car. Comfort, handling, specs, or no nonsense, rugged wash out simplicity.

Buy a petrol work mate hilux 2wd or ranger, triton etc of similar sorts. Theyre more hardy and still simple as easy diy. Typical Japanese durability and they are solid.

If you want a Falcon.
My vote is for B series. Basic motor, easy to get to everything, 4sp very reliable if serviced and has a standalone trans cooler, cheap to replace with a new reco unit. Easily scanned with a scan tool for diagnosis. Modern interior, quieter and smoother, seats are comfier than AU and FG. Have seen these with less rust than previous models.

XG/XH/AU hideously outdated. AU's are at the stage where people drive them into the ground.
FG is really cheap and nasty but the motor and 6sp is very tasty but the 6sp takes more expensive oil and you need to follow procedure to service or it wont shift right. Expensive to replace with a reco unit but is getting cheaper as time goes on.
They are newer so should have less issues. Still nothing overly complicated about them though.

But really, Hilux/ranger/triton will give you less grief in time.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post