Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #1351
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AFF Weight Gain/Loss Program

couldn't find a photo of me standing up, or in plain view... this is the closest thing to a decent photo of me a few years ago, half a dozen chins, massive gut... top weight was 122kgs...... tired, grumpy, all in all just not right.

few years later.... 82kgs... happier, healthier and more energy, working in the Maldives helps, fishing all the time, swimming, sweating it out etc... gave up booze... once a week i'll have a few but thats about it.

locals here won't kill a fish, they let it die... can't do that to my tuna!

This is a better pic of me looking lean, unfortunately with my eyes closed.... fish is 8ft+ i'm around 5'11"
reef green xwgt falcon
lime green HT GTS Monaro 308 4 speed
reef green ZC Fairlane black interior
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #1352
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

"Working in the Maldives"

:(

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #1353
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWTB View Post
my shoulders are creeping forward so I need to cut back on my shoulders, traps and lats exercises for a while.

No. You take that back!!

http://www.popsci.com.au/science/***...ers-study-says

Studies have proven that shoulder to hip ratio is most important.

Keep hittin dem shoulders

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #1354
sideways82
loving the turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661 View Post
68 is too small! I'm at 67, 5'7" and I'm gaining!

How tall are you?

5'8" and 64kg, currently at work with a spoon, a 750g tub of nutella and a bag or doritos
12.48@113.92 with 277rwkw
12.27@119.1 with 320rwkw
sideways82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #1355
Spudz27
Call me Spud

So anyone got ideas on how to get rid of the love handles? I have been going to gym everyday now, also started playing tennis again. I am now below 100kg, with 14kg to go to nominated weight. Because of my condition I can't lift more than 25kg, so bulking up is not possible, but toning is. My routine is

15min treadmill, 6km at 2.0 Grade, after 5mins I lower to .05 and up speed to 8.5km, then after a minute lower to 6km then back to 2.0. I do this twice during the 15minutes.

Then I do 20 reps on the pull up machine thing, counteracts your weight so I only pull up 25kg.
20 reps on lats 25kg
20 reps biceps 10kg
30reps at 15kg on the ab crunch thing
30 reps at 25kg on the machine that works the side muscles (I forget muscle and machine names)
20 reps at 20kg on the machine that does the pecks
20 reps at 20kg on the one that works triceps and shoulders.
Finish with 5-10mins on cross trainer at level 5 keeping 100spm or higher.

I use protein before and after the gym.

As I have a pretty severe heart condition I gotta be careful, but so far it is handling it very well and the dr said there has been no change during my last scan. I have dropped 3 pants sizes, and 2 shirt sizes, but look stupid because my shirts cling to my muffin top and I need to know how te hell to get rid of it. My upper body is def bulking up at the moment, but there will be a point it stops as I can't (I can but not supposed to) do more than 25kg.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #1356
AU Mont
Banned

Sounds like your doing just fine as you are, keep it up !!

1500 calories, clean food. You dont have to turn into a vegan, but no obvious crap like deep fried dagwood dogs lol

Plenty cardio & light weights 6 days a week, 1 day rest. Doing the weights you feel comfortable with is important, as muscle is a fat burner even when your doing nothing. I dont like machines at all, as it takes away alot of the effort you would normally have to use to hold free weights steadily.

For cardio, i HEAVILY recommend boxing training, even if its just hitting the bag. Yes running on a treadmill will burn fat, but the benefits in smashing a bag for 20mins a day gives you so much more. At first you'll feel like a caveman, after 2 weeks you notice how much more crisp your punches are & how much harder you can hit, how much more toned your whole body becomes, how much better your body copes & how quick it recovers from being so out of breath you dont think you can do any more.

With your heart condition, you would generally have to approach boxing training with caution, but if you can already push hard on the treadmill id say go for it. These are just my thoughts
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #1357
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Oh boy

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2013, 02:37 AM   #1358
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27 View Post
As I have a pretty severe heart condition I gotta be careful, but so far it is handling it very well and the dr said there has been no change during my last scan. I have dropped 3 pants sizes, and 2 shirt sizes, but look stupid because my shirts cling to my muffin top and I need to know how te hell to get rid of it. My upper body is def bulking up at the moment, but there will be a point it stops as I can't (I can but not supposed to) do more than 25kg.
In your position, I'd be looking to address the weight with diet. By all means, keep doing exercise to maintain some degree of fitness, but I doubt you're going to burn substantial calories given your heart condition. Its just not worth the risk.

Speak to your doctor about going on a 5:2 fast, 2 days per week where you only consume 500cal, in one meal (see the BBC doco 'Eat Fast Live Longer' posted earlier). The upside of this type of diet is that by incorporating fast days, you don't have to count calories on the non-fast days quite so fastidiously (and dietary boredom is what ends up undoing most dieters in the long term).

The other upside is that it seems to 'reset' the hunger hormones which cause you to want to graze all day long even when you're not particularly hungry. In my experience, I've been able to go back to eating only when I am actually hungry, I don't feel nearly as much desire to snack simply because I can.

But like I already said, speak to your doctor first.

Losing the love handles can only be achieved by cutting body fat. You cant target them with ab exercises, its just going to take an overall fat reduction for them to go.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #1359
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Diet really can only go so far. I am coping with the exercise right now and everything was fine last scan and dr knows, so I am going to keep going with exercising with diet change. I usually have a meal replacement shake in morning, protein shake before and after gym, so that sorts out morning tea, tuna and salad for lunch and then something like grilled chicken or salmon with spinach and small amount of mash, or scrambled eggs with spinach, mushroom and some bacon. Course on a friday night I might have some pizza or go to subway or something, can't be good everyday lol.
Old 23-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #1360
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

111kg this morning. Getting very excited. I'm really leaning out now. My ribs are getting more visible every week and my friends are freaking out at how fast I'm leaning out at the moment thinking I'm dropping 5kg a week when really it's 1-2kg.

Original target of 100kg should be achieved within 8 weeks if things keep going the way they are going. 90KG is still the new target, but willing to adjust that again once I hit 100.

Latest progress pic from my instagram... username is mwtb if ya wanna follow me. I post a lot of stuff about my weight loss and gym routine.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

315rwkw

Last edited by MWTB; 23-04-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 23-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #1361
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Your doing great Mark. Keep at it.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #1362
pundit
Gazza!

A bit of a progress pic from today. My goal was 95 by the end of next month but I got it today so rather happy with that.

pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #1363
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Impressive weight loss, keep it up mate!
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #1364
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

pundit - well done and congrats on your progress mate. Be proud of yourself mate. This is just the beginning.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 01-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #1365
pundit
Gazza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
pundit - well done and congrats on your progress mate. Be proud of yourself mate. This is just the beginning.
Thanks heaps fella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Impressive weight loss, keep it up mate!
Thanks alot dude!

Was great I had a mate inbox me on facey lastnight after I posted that pic saying that he has started a weight loss journey and I was his motivation. As silly as it sounds for me that was actually a rather proud/rewarding moment. Felt "on top of the world" so to speak.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #1366
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

There might be something to diet and exercise. I just had a very busy work month and in the last two weeks I was eating junk, rarely exercising and working my bum off.

Result 3 kg heavier than my normal heavy and my clothes don't fit right (tight in all of the wrong places). I must get back in to it.....
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #1367
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I forgot to take before pics as 14wks ago had no intention of losing weight. So here is a pic from 8wks ago and a pic from today. I have not really lost much weight, in 8wks, but am toning up and my muscles are building. My legs are already pretty strong from carrying all the weight aroud, I found I am doing leg press of 70kg, the one where your thighs push out I am at 75kg and the thighs puling in is 55kg. I do 2 sets of 10 pull ups at 35kg (this particular machine counters your weight, so you only lift whaat you can) and one set of 10 push up or whaatever they are called (a reverse pullup lol), all other machines I do 2 reps at 25-30kg. So there will be a point I can't get aany bigger as medically I am already pushing the boundary. My cardio is 5mins cross trainer at level 15, keeping at 80spm or higher, 5min bike at level 7 or 8 keeping at 90rpm or higher, do my strength exercises and finish with 15mins treadmill at 6km with a 3% grade, but I increase the grade to 10% every 5 mins for 1 min.

8wks ago

Today

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also found a new breakky shake to make. 1cup almond milk, handful of mixed berries, half a banana, handful of spinach, tablespoon of chia seeds, my usual 2 tablespoons of chocolate meal shaake and 2 tablespoons of protein powder. Is pretty delicious.

Last edited by Spudz27; 06-05-2013 at 07:18 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #1368
pundit
Gazza!

Bit of a proud moment.

Its currently fit week at jetts in SA. My local jetts have their best success story up on the wall whixh happens to be yours truly. Very very proud moment for me feels like a bit of acknowledgement for thw hard work.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #1369
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Checking in with another progress update. Still going strong

315rwkw
Old 18-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #1370
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Checking in with another progress update. Still going strong

Looking svelte mark!!! Awesome work.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 18-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #1371
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Thanks mate! I've been getting a lot more female attention over the past few weeks which makes it even more worth it Also, my name is Matt!

315rwkw
2 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #1372
pundit
Gazza!

Quote:
Thanks mate! I've been getting a lot more female attention over the past few weeks which makes it even more worth it Also, my name is Matt!
The wemmems make it all the more worth while ey bro!
Old 20-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #1373
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
ah s### sorry MATT.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 20-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #1374
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
ah s### sorry MATT.
Hahaha no worries mate!

315rwkw
Old 21-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #1375
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Can a mod please delete my large photo, I can't exit it now and not sure why it is so big as I resized it before posting.

Latest progress pics. Not really losing weight, but toning. However can anyone shed light on removing side fat? I can't wear the nice shirts I want because the front is o.k, but my side looks totally stupid as my chest goes in, then my stupid wings curve back out. I hate it, everyone tells me how good I am looking atm, but I do not think the same way and it is because f the wings on my side.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Spudz27; 21-05-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 21-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #1376
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i too want to start loosing wieght because 7 months ago i gave up smoking when i found out i was coughing up blood i have started riding the bike with the kids to school and take the long way back home this is a average of 80mins of excise a day or if you call it that

is there anything else i should do

i have whole grain toast for breaky
sweet chille tune for lunch and maybe a apple or 2 inbetween

i have been doing it for 3 weeks and i have not noticed a change
Old 21-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #1377
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Sounds like your doing plenty of cardio, the best thing I found is to limit my calories to about 1200 which is 400 below ideal, high protein and low fat. I still eat fairly normal. I make a shake for breakky, meal powder, protein powder, cup of hilo, handfull of mixed berries, half a banana, baby spinach, ice and chia seeds. Blend it up and it is around 300cal and keeps me good till lunch, usually ham and salad on organic mixed grain sour bread again about 300cal, then dinner is usually just what I would normally cook and adds about 400 cal and then I still manage desert lol. Desert is where I end up with fat and high sugar, but calories for the day still end up being 1200-1300 which is below the 1650 allowed. I do cheat a little and add the 180 odd I burn at the gym which means desert can be ice cream lol. The opposite is starving yourself. If you are riding 80min a day and eating that little food, your body could be starving and that will kill your metabolism.
Old 21-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #1378
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27 View Post
Sounds like your doing plenty of cardio, the best thing I found is to limit my calories to about 1200 which is 400 below ideal, high protein and low fat. I still eat fairly normal. I make a shake for breakky, meal powder, protein powder, cup of hilo, handfull of mixed berries, half a banana, baby spinach, ice and chia seeds. Blend it up and it is around 300cal and keeps me good till lunch, usually ham and salad on organic mixed grain sour bread again about 300cal, then dinner is usually just what I would normally cook and adds about 400 cal and then I still manage desert lol. Desert is where I end up with fat and high sugar, but calories for the day still end up being 1200-1300 which is below the 1650 allowed. I do cheat a little and add the 180 odd I burn at the gym which means desert can be ice cream lol. The opposite is starving yourself. If you are riding 80min a day and eating that little food, your body could be starving and that will kill your metabolism.
not sure i do weigh about 140 im 6.2 my goal is to weigh at least 100kg again
Old 22-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #1379
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Going that low on calories is a bad idea man. Sure you'll lose weight, but you'll do yourself some serious metabolic damage.

Work out your BMR (basic metabolic rate) which is what your body needs if you were comatose doing nothing, and then work out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which is what your body actually needs including the daily physical work you do. My BMR is 2300 calories, but my TDEE is 4200.

How do I know this metabolic damage (starvation mode for the layman or adaptive thermogenesis for those who like to get technical) thing is for real and not just an internet phenomenon like people think it is? Because it happened to me.

I was on 1500 calories (I weigh my food, I am precise) for 2 months. I lost a few kg and then stopped. I was doing heavy weight training every day and cardio afterwards for 30 minutes or more. I also work an extremely physical job. It is not possible that I was not losing weight if my metabolism was working as it should. After a lot of research I read about this adaptive thermogenesis and read that to remedy this, you eat at, or slightly above your maintenance (BMR) for a few weeks to see if it helps. It also states that you might put on a kg or two, but that is normal.

So I did. And I did put that kg on. But now, as I am eating 2500-2600 calories a day, I am losing weight again where I was not on 1500.

Please don't fall into the trap like I did. Less calories is BAD. They say you shouldn't lose more than a kg per week for a good reason.

Pleeeease, don't do to yourself what I did to myself. I lost 34kg in 6 months, which is a great achievement even if I say so myself, but I'd rather have only lost 25 and had steady loss rather than deal with the demotivation of stepping on the scale after a month of eating 1500 calories and doing 10 or more hours of exercise a week to find I hadn't dropped even half a kg.

I should also add, on a brighter note, that I start a Master Personal Trainer course at the Australian Institute of Fitness in 2 weeks

315rwkw
3 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #1380
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I reckon you'll be a kickass PT Matt.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon