Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-05-2005, 09:17 PM   #1
02 futura wagon

Question Extended new car warranty for $1495 (3years). Is it worth it?

Hi AU forum members,

I have recently purchased an AU Falcon Futura LPG wagon Mark III. It still has new car warranty until August 2005. I am considering extending the warranty with an "extended Ford new vehicle warranty". This will cover the car for the next three years or 160,000kms. I have rang one Ford dealership and they quoted a price of $1495. Please note that being dedicated LPG, the warranty is more than petrol models.
Questions:
1) Does new car warranty cover almost everything?
2) What are some of the restrictions to an extended new car warranty?
3) Would buying an extended warranty restrict me to services at one dealership only?
4) Is it worth it, or will a "premium warranty" be okay?

The car has 67,000km and I will only be driving around 15,000km per year.

p.s. I am only new to owning a relatively new car, excuse my lack of knowledge. :
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2005, 11:23 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Hi,

probably not. I think you'll find with it being a Series III 99% of the problems the AU suffered from are fixed or rectified, and as you still have factory warranty remaining that should be more than enough.

More often than not the extended warranty is just a way for dealers to make more money.
Old 16-05-2005, 09:41 AM   #3
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

NO!

Its just another marketing driven insurance type rip off.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2005, 09:46 AM   #4
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Welcome abord 02fw. It depends. Have you had much trouble with the wagon? Have you had to make warranty claims before? If yes, I'd say do it, cause if the wagon has issues then it would help. If the girl has been trouble free so far, then no, I wouldn't do it.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2005, 08:42 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

G'day 02fw,

I bought a 99 wagon a few years ago and being on gas fitted at tickford, I didn't think I would have any trouble with it.

I WAS WRONG!

I needed a new head and got a Flashlube upper cylinder lube kit installed. Cost me 2,300! The car was bought with 80,000k on the clock and I had this trouble at 110,000.

If the warranty covers the whole gas set up, It might be good peace of mind. Make sure you read the warranty carefully though. YOu could get locked into expensive servicing at ford.

I'm not sure if Ford got it's gas setup any better for the series 2 and 3 cars, mine is a series 1.

Hope that helps.

George
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2005, 11:32 AM   #6
Kryton

$1500 is a bit steep but you have to think how much parts are gonna cost you when they break out of warranty. i had my gearbox replaced under warranty on my S1 at 60000km. that alone would have cost me $2500 if it wasnt covered.
id say do it and consider it as a form of insurance.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post