Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > Eurofordclub.com > EuroFordClub.com

EuroFordClub.com European Ford Owners Club of Australia forum

Old 19-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
FlaminFiesta

Default Tyre Dangerous

Guys,

well i have a problem and am seriously worried about driving on old pac because of it..

my two front tyres are 10% worn, Directional(Performance) Firestones. and my two back are Turanza (touring)tyres..

well when i drive it feels like my back is kicking out alot, and im not as confident taking corners as i was with 4 turanzas

its feels also like it bogs down abit when i floor it and when i turn the whole dynamics of the car feel different

question is if this safe ? or is it stupid.. and what can i do to get some of that touring feeling back ?

FlaminFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 11:56 AM   #2
BlackLS

Driftin' Fiesta!

Have a look at your alignment and check if your handbrake is sticking.

If you have the time put the Turanzas on the front and see if it understeers, if so put Firestones all round.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I think you should put the Turanzas on the front....

Always put the tyres with the least grip/worn on the front, especially with a front wheel drive car. Has happened to me when the worn tyres on the decided they want to swap sides, and this was with the Fiesta. Not a good thing to have happen.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
FlaminFiesta

guys

the firestone have more tread and they are on the front, the backs turanzas...

yeah i went around a corner at about 60kmps and it felt like the car was drifting.. im booking it in for wheel alignment and all that soon hehe before the next cruise hehe

yeah its a scary feeling

how safe around twisties u rekon ?
Old 19-05-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have GIII's on the front and the turanza's on the back (Still will plenty of tread) and the car is faster around corners. Ive had the back slip out with the turanzas @60km/h but with the GIII's ive only had it happen after hitting a bump midway through a 100km/h corner.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 01:02 PM   #6
joshf2
striped

i think youve probably got more grip at the front

the bogging down you get now is more likely to have been a bit of slippage with the old tyres

and since youve got more grip up front, youre probably going around corners faster, and with the lesser grip at the rear, it'll only be a matter of time before you turn it around.

although if you have the skill to catch it, you improve your turn in dramatically
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
FlaminFiesta

I got Firehawk Wide Oval tyres,

yeah its like the front grips unbelievable but i feel the back just give a bit lol

also the turanzas were great they would let me go around corners at 100k+ down the old pac... where it is legally allowed of course..

its a scary feeling sometime, like the back just got a mind of its own...
Old 19-05-2006, 04:38 PM   #8
Veilspade
Im so ronry

No parts of the Old Pac are 100K
Old 19-05-2006, 08:23 PM   #9
whippet_zetec
Supes

one question: have to checked your tire pressures? you would be suprised how much just a small difference in pressure can make on the road, my first advise is check the pressures are correct. you will pretty much know when your tires are rooted the first time you drive in the wet you will constantly lose grip.

As for the Cruise, still come, you will be fine....there are no real hardcore corners or stuff and if you stick to the speed limit you shouldnt have any worries.

Todd