Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #91
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default Re: IRS upper shock mount - Permanent fix

Ok, the people underlined already have, or have been allocated their mounts.
The rest still need to be made, however I do have 1 pair ready to go right now.

Ride is next on the list, so if you want to PM some details and $$, we'll get the ball rolling.

A couple more old mounts should be coming in soon, so I'll do another run ASAP.

1 - Brooksby88 - 1
2 - T3man - 1

3 - Ride - 1
4 - PROBLM - 1
5 - TS50 - 1
6 - DaveTE - 1
7 - Myts50 - 1
8 - tkfd - 1
9 - BOTTLEDUP - 1
10 - PEUTY - 1
11 - T3-TS50 - 1
12 - Stonepony - 1

Later - FTE217 - 1
Old 26-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #92
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Can you put me on the list for a set Sox and let me know when they are ready?
At this point in time they are certainly not a priority so am happy to be at the end.
Im in Western Sydney so can exchange our old ones with you.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #93
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definitely still interested, I just havent obtained a used set to send you.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #94
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i threw my used set out when i changed them last year unfortunately
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #95
sk8xr8
sliding by you...

Thanks in advance Sox, cant wait for your delivery to arrive!
sk8xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #96
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Sox i had my AU3 done with OEM mounts today and have kept the old mounts so just remember that down the track, as i'd like to get these ones re-made in the not too distant future as spares.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #97
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heya Sox don't know if you're still prepared to build a set of these mounts, but I'm just about ready to grab some.
Old 29-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #98
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTTLEDUP
Heya Sox don't know if you're still prepared to build a set of these mounts, but I'm just about ready to grab some.
I think I might have a set here to do, if not, how soon can you get me your old ones?
Old 29-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #99
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have to schedule it in with my friendly workshop, but I'd say approx 4 weeks I can have mine back to you. I'm currently trying to source a pair of old ones so as not to put anyone under pressure.
Old 18-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #100
hales231271

Hi
I have a set of used mounts.
Fitted new new ones 2 years ago.
Quite happy to send them over so you can build stock up.
Cheers
Dazza
hales231271 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #101
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hales231271
Hi
I have a set of used mounts.
Fitted new new ones 2 years ago.
Quite happy to send them over so you can build stock up.
Cheers
Dazza
PM sent.
Old 15-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #102
Sox
RIP...

Hi all, just a quick update to this, I'm doing another small run of these over the next week or so, so will have a few on hand.

I've also made a small modification to the original design.

If you recall going through this thread, the rubber bushes did show premature wear because of the lateral forces on the small boss.

Using poly bushes appeared to have fixed this problem initially, but longer term testing has shown it hasn't.

I said I'll fix it if the problem shows itself again, and I have.
I simply weld a small tube with an ID the same OD as the Superpro bush, on the top and bottom of the main plate.
This then makes use of the entire bush to locate itself centrally on the plate.

Easy.

Only problem is, I have 1/2 dozen or so of you guys with the original design. Obviously as a recall, I will modify all of your units free of charge if you can get them to me at your leisure.
This won't cause a failure of any kind in the short term, but they will eventually begin to rattle.
Naturally if you continued to drive with it rattling, it has the potential to fail eventually (like anything which is grinding metal to metal).
I would like to see them all back here because of this.

Once this is done, I'm confident this will then last indefinitely, or at least until the poly bush itself wears out, but that will be a long time.

Lastly, I'm going to supply all future mounts, complete with the Superpro bushes, so they fit perfectly with the latest modification I'm doing now.
Obviously the price will go up in line with the cost of the bushes.
Old 15-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #103
T3man
Banned

Thanks for the update Rick. Funnily enough my car is booked into the workshop tomorrow to have them fitted in preparation for Winton this Saturday. DUH, talk about timing! So I will camcel that and get them back to you on my next trip - the car can do a few more kms on the stockies I'm sure.

I was up your way yesterday can you believe?!!
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #104
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still keen for a set, haven't been able to find any spares around here but can supply my old units once swapped out?
Old 16-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #105
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Thanks for the update Rick. Funnily enough my car is booked into the workshop tomorrow to have them fitted in preparation for Winton this Saturday. DUH, talk about timing! So I will camcel that and get them back to you on my next trip - the car can do a few more kms on the stockies I'm sure.

I was up your way yesterday can you believe?!!
Sorry for the hassle mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTTLEDUP
Still keen for a set, haven't been able to find any spares around here but can supply my old units once swapped out?
No problem, I'm doing 4 sets right now with 2 spoken for, so you can have the third set.
Old 24-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #106
tangld1
Starter Motor

Hi Sox, I joined the forums only because this is the only place I have found with a solution tto this issue!!! Just convinced a mate to buy an XR8, and wouldn't you know, the rear to shocker mounts are stuffed. Just wondering if you have a set on hand, and the approximate cost, incl bushes. More than willing to send the old ones back after swapped over. thanks in advance, Dennis
tangld1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #107
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangld1
Hi Sox, I joined the forums only because this is the only place I have found with a solution tto this issue!!! Just convinced a mate to buy an XR8, and wouldn't you know, the rear to shocker mounts are stuffed. Just wondering if you have a set on hand, and the approximate cost, incl bushes. More than willing to send the old ones back after swapped over. thanks in advance, Dennis
Yep, I'll have a set spare.
I'm in the process of doing them as we speak, should be ready in the next couple of days.
Old 25-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #108
tangld1
Starter Motor

Thanks mate. Would you be able to let me know how much? cheers
Old 28-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #109
pstap
Intimidator AU3 XR8 347

i made my irs mounts 8 or 9 years ago but just to let you know how the rear irs suspension works The shocks are mounted on a angle so when the car goes up and down the shocks has to move on 2 axis at the same time thats why ford used a rubber mount .
Motor built by John Macchione
www.ultratuneerina.com.au
pstap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #110
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Still very keen. I really couldn't justify spending the money that Ford wanted only to have them fail sooner rather than later.

Can I pay you the money now?
I'm still keen, btw.

Will send the old set back to you.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #111
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstap
i made my irs mounts 8 or 9 years ago but just to let you know how the rear irs suspension works The shocks are mounted on a angle so when the car goes up and down the shocks has to move on 2 axis at the same time thats why ford used a rubber mount .
So how is that different to non-IRS? I don't believe that is the reason why Ford used a large insulator; it is to do with NVH levels and that's about all. The fact is that by using the type of mount they have they in fact restricted the movement to which you refer and this is probably the main reason for the insulators to fail so regularly. This "new" mount allows the same movement but does not impede it, therefore (like on a traditional live axle) the upper mounting should have a much longer service life.

PS. Rick, I'll be in Windsor next Saturday morning so will drop by your place. I'll phone first to make sure you're about.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #112
pstap
Intimidator AU3 XR8 347

there is heaps of different between irs and non irs on how the rear end works and responds but i not going into that but i know ford stuff up on the au irs and thats why the ba does not run a rubber bush, nolathane tried to fix the problem but failed also i know the person who was working on the project and he also told me the problems with the au irs and ford had to redesign the irs for the ba, look i was only helping you guys on why the bushes fail and how to fix it .i done this set up 8 years ago and now i run a full adustable coilovers shocks on a irs diff
Old 30-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #113
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
there is heaps of different between irs and non irs on how the rear end works and responds
Well, only in that each side can move totally independent from the other.

As T3 said, the way in which the shock moves within it's entire stroke is little different.
The solid axle shock moves on 2 axis as well, just to a lesser extent on the second axis.

In any case, this is not relevant to the way the original mounts have been designed, as conventional mounts can tolerate movement on another axis.
Quote:
but i not going into that but i know ford stuff up on the au irs and thats why the ba does not run a rubber bush,
The B series is entirely different.
Quote:
nolathane tried to fix the problem but failed also i know the person who was working on the project and he also told me the problems with the au irs and ford had to redesign the irs for the ba, look i was only helping you guys on why the bushes fail and how to fix it .
Actually you haven't mentioned your method as to how to fix it.
Quote:
i done this set up 8 years ago and now i run a full adustable coilovers shocks on a irs diff
That's not a fix of the original mounts, that's a totally new shock spring assembly. Quite expensive, and not totally needed for road use.

My fix uses all existing parts (exept for the mount itself), and a small serviceable inexpensive bush which will last a long time.

Rather than tell us what you think we're doing wrong, and what you've done right, why don't you spill the beans and tell us exactly what you've done?
Old 30-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #114
tangld1
Starter Motor

Thanks for the updates sox, can you put me list for a couple asap? PM me with details so we can get the ball rolling, Cheers.
Old 30-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #115
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangld1
Thanks for the updates sox, can you put me list for a couple asap? PM me with details so we can get the ball rolling, Cheers.
Will do.
I'm hoping to have them finished tomorrow, so will be in touch with all the people who have made contact over the last few weeks.
Old 30-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #116
pstap
Intimidator AU3 XR8 347

Thats what I said before that the ba is different to a au IRS The au shock is mounted on a angle on a IRS diff .look at my pictures I put up of what I done to my mounts under pstap update 347
Old 30-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #117
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Thats what I said before that the ba is different to a au IRS The au shock is mounted on a angle on a IRS diff .look at my pictures I put up of what I done to my mounts under pstap update 347
Ok, your first effort is similar to what I've done.
What went wrong with them?

The only problem I've had is with the boss on the bushes not locating securely enough, these latest ones have rectified that issue.

The coilover setup looks great, but as you know, it's not for everyone.
Old 30-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #118
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I will transfer money to you tonight to secure myself a set ASAP.

PM me your details....

Cheers

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #119
pstap
Intimidator AU3 XR8 347

you have to get bearing and machine a housing up its not cheep if you have to get someone to do it unless you got a metal lathe and you know what you are doing . it took me 2 goes to get it wright untill i was happy with it .
Old 31-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #120
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
I will transfer money to you tonight to secure myself a set ASAP.

PM me your details....

Cheers
I'll grab money once they're done, it's all good.