Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #211
Shen Long
Starter Motor

Default Re: IRS upper shock mount - Permanent fix

Are you still selling/repairing these upper rear shock mounts???
Shen Long is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #212
tristanxr6
Starter Motor

are you still making these need left hand side asap
tristanxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #213
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Sorry guys, I don't do these any more.

Probably should close this thread.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #214
XRMick

Hey guys to anyone interested I've got a pair of brand new mounts I'm willing to part with, PM me.
XRMick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #215
BsimO
Starter Motor

Hi i need a pair of these strut tops how do i get my hands on some
BsimO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #216
tkfd
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talk to guy in previous post, lol
tkfd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #217
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

I may have a good set. PM me if interested.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2016, 04:36 PM   #218
ebzery

a set of these with a rose joint fitted would be the best
ebzery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #219
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebzery View Post
a set of these with a rose joint fitted would be the best
Superpro have just released their version of the upper mount.

Part number: RS010

Cheers,
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #220
tkfd
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am selling polyurethane rubbers to these mounts if anyone interested

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112106925...84.m1555.l2649
3 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #221
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any news on anyone using the super pro listing? are they redesigned or just a standard replacement?

Eventually we will all need to replace these upper mounts and superpro look like the only listing but at a hefty $900 a pair....
SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 11:40 PM   #222
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT8 View Post
Any news on anyone using the super pro listing? are they redesigned or just a standard replacement?

Eventually we will all need to replace these upper mounts and superpro look like the only listing but at a hefty $900 a pair....
At that price you might as well buy a set of Shockworks IRS coilovers, much better value for money!
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #223
tkfd
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

agree
Old 18-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #224
twodogs 260

Hi all , i'm in the same boat as most of you in regards to IRS rear mounts . Mine aren't completly gone yet but they are soft , those that know them well will understand this next bit , have a good mate that is a machinist so i got him to make some steel locators/ spacers for the mounts , top one is a ring and washer combo that removes the original washer and locates down into the mounting area either side of the bush and it sits snug in the top section and sits flush. For the bottom section he has machined something similar that sits around the alloy section onto the rubber and is curved/taperd so it will lock onto the bottom of the bush , so it will pretty much end up solid with little to no movement in any direction , just curious if i am on the right track or not . all made in high grade steel to prevent failures , can't upload photos to this site ,iv'e tried many times so unable to show what i'm talking about
twodogs 260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #225
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You need to allow for some movement of the shock - it changes angle as the suspension moves up & down, so you don't want anything that will try to hold the top of the shock firmly (in anything but a vertical direction) or it will create undue stress - resulting in accelerated wear, or failure.

Think of the old "wobble bar" sockets - you want to locate it solid in a vertical up/down direction, but still allow "sway" in the shaft/body of the shock, to allow it to move around in any direction (within limits). The most elegant (but expensive) solution would be a rose joint, but the repetitive chattering type movement will not only wear it out in a short time, but also transfer an immense amount of NVH.

This is where Sox was allowing for this movement by having the traditional 2-rubber top mounts for the shock. I think he had it pretty much spot on, and the only improvement would be to allow for a bit more sideways flex - but that's not so easy in the confined area.

The factory allow for this movement within the rubber - hence why it eventually wears & starts to break down.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #226
twodogs 260

yes thats what i was thinking myself , the beauty if it is that i can trim down the diameter of the top washer so that it will allow some sideways movement , and the bottom washer/spacer is cone shaped on the outside edge to follow the contour of the rubber , it's mainly been designed for the clamping effect top and bottom not to stop all sideways movement , this is only version one so thought i would give it a go . if any of the moderators want to put up the pics for me that would be great just pm me , cheers
Old 19-02-2017, 02:22 AM   #227
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride View Post
At that price you might as well buy a set of Shockworks IRS coilovers, much better value for money!
Hi Ride, I'm new to AU sedans. So the IRS coilover design eliminates the factory rear shock issue due to their design??

Ta.

Rich

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #228
tkfd
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The shockworks uses the ball type, so yes eliminates the original design. The "others" use the original design, i.e the top c/over spring saddle sits in that ribber ring as per OEM, so the potential prob still exist.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2017, 12:23 AM   #229
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkfd View Post
The shockworks uses the ball type, so yes eliminates the original design. The "others" use the original design, i.e the top c/over spring saddle sits in that ribber ring as per OEM, so the potential prob still exist.
Cheers, may as well just buy a set of these as my rear shocks a due for replacement.

Thanks.

Rich

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #230
tkfd
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Rich, talk to Brett he's a good bloke and tell him Mark sent you
Old 27-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #231
twodogs 260

Hi all just an update on my little experimental washer /mounting things that i had made for my IRS top hats , pulled the rears out of my fairlane on saturday to fit the bits and to see how it would go , i have only done about 60klms so far but the initial findings are as follows.
the clamping effect of the fitment is great that it clamped down top and bottom of original shock mounting point as predicted and by the design used , test driven for 5klms saturday and traveled over a train line close to home and 90% of the rear jelly wobble found in the rear of these cars has now gone , drives straight ,has good road feel and when putting your foot into it the rear doesn't want to drop it just gets on it and goes , very slight change to the NVH from the rear little change to the stiffness of the rear car , but as i have pointed out only early days and i'm using my car as a test mule to see how it goes . I think this idea will only work for those that have rear hats in reasonable to good condition if yours are stuffed the would not be suitable unless you use a pair in good nick . did find my RHS to be on it's way out so hopefully it will hang in there alot longer now , will keep you all posted on how it gets on . If any moderators want to contact me to help in getting some pictures up call me on my mobile number 0428 928351 and will flick some pics to you , but moderators only please .
Old 20-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #232
twodogs 260

Ok peeps bit of an update on the mod washers/supports that i have fitted to my IRS top mounts .So after fitting and driving around for a month or so to REALLY let it settle down and to gauge how things were , i put it up on a four poster hoist to check the lower bolts as it didn't seem as firm as it first was , to that there seemed to have a slight knock as well . Redid the bolts to spec and had a check over of things only to find that the rear swaybar links had failed , now have the whiteline adjustable links all round and have found that the whole car has tightend up very nicely . The initial findings of the fitment are the same that it has taken 95% of the jelly wobble out of the rear and has not detrimental effect to the cars handling or the N V H of the car . have been contacted by one of the tech guys on this forum whom we spend about an hour chatting about the pictures to add to this article but so far they haven't been uploaded so not able to show what i have done , think his name was stuart ? can't remember at the moment . This is by no means a total fix for the crap design of the top mounts but so far my fiddlings has improved the drivability of it to the extent that it doesn't try to kill me every time i go for a drive . Will do an update again in 6 months to let you all know how its been , Cheers all J
Old 25-05-2017, 10:10 PM   #233
KRL-94

anyone still got info on how to do this?? ive got 2 cars to do it to.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11447916
KRL-94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2017, 10:52 PM   #234
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

I still have some good sets. PM if interested.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2018, 10:48 PM   #235
TickfordTiger
Starter Motor

I have noticed these replacement internal polyurethane bushes are now available for $110ea from wholesale suspension

They also sell complete (changeover) shock / spring mounts also $275ea.

https://wholesalesuspension.com.au (02) 98318825

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-AU-...T/272728046549

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-AU-...A/272724624580

Falcon Unbelievable !!!
4 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2019, 01:22 PM   #236
Studz xr8
Studzy

Hello Sox,
I own a series 1 AU xr8 with irs.
Will your adapted mount be suitable for my car, my rubbers have slowly worn out on drivers side so I'm looking to replace it.
Please contact me if still available and will fit my vehicle.
Thanks mate

EDIT NOTE.
Sox is no longer doing this. See next post for a solution
END NOTE, U.Ken

Last edited by Uncle_Ken; 01-12-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Studz xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2022, 10:32 PM   #237
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

SuperPro have a Upper Bush Kit for AU IRS rear top mount.

Part SPF 0204K

Showing on their website for $92.97
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: