Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
BillC

Default Rear upper control arm outer bush IRS

Hi all, my upper control arm outer bush has gone squeeky. It does not look that hard to replace but my manual suggests getting professionals to do it. Is it that hard to get out ?

BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
T3man
Banned

Default Re: Rear upper control arm outer bush IRS

What vehicle?
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hard bit is getting a replacement.... That is if you are talking the spherical joint at the outer end of the upper control arm.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
T3man
Banned

The spherical joint is readily available if it is upper control arm for AU IRS. Lower joint is the problem but you can use a BA one with 1.5mm packer washers on either end.

You will need a press to get it out.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

T3man, I think you got that back to front, the lower one is not a problem, it's the upper outer that you can't get now and must use the BA one with spacers. I know this as I just went through the exercise with my Fairlane. A BA rose joint from Ford costs about $90 BTW, then you need the spacers and someone to press out the old one and press in the new one. In the end I just got a whole replacement arm with a good rose joint in it from a wreckers. It was cheaper and easier.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
T3man
Banned

Yeah? ... round the wrong way? ... not surprised; I've done it at roundabouts too!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man View Post
Yeah? ... round the wrong way? ... not surprised; I've done it at roundabouts too!

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
BillC

Sorry, its an XR8 ser3 IRS
Old 06-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #9
BillC

I just bought a tool off the net for removing and replaceing the rear outer upper control arm bush whilst on the car. Its for the ba but from what you all have been saying and my own research it should also work for the xr with IRS. The tool cost 50 including postage on ebay. Ill let you know how it works
Old 23-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #10
Rfordsfun

BillC any updates on the tool ? about to do mine. Read you can do upper outers with a large g clamp and sockets / pipe. Anyone find a good how to link? cheers .
Rfordsfun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #11
BillC

tool was no good. It was in that tight it just stripped the thread
Old 01-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #12
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC View Post
tool was no good. It was in that tight it just stripped the thread
Go to a bolt shop and get various length high tensile bolts and nuts and washers that will fit inside 1/2" drive sockets. The bolt also goes through the bush.

Then soak the assy well for at least an hour with rostoff or a mix of acetone, brake fluid and auto trans fluid.

Lube the high tensile bolt well and use it with washers, spacers, sockets, tube etc and preferably a rattle gun to pull the bush out of the arm.
You can also reverse the assy to pull the new bushes back on too.

I have done all my outer bushes on my au irs this way and did not need to remove the arms or need a press.
Cheers.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #13
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif73 View Post
Go to a bolt shop and get various length high tensile bolts and nuts and washers that will fit inside 1/2" drive sockets. The bolt also goes through the bush.

Then soak the assy well for at least an hour with rostoff or a mix of acetone, brake fluid and auto trans fluid.

Lube the high tensile bolt well and use it with washers, spacers, sockets, tube etc and preferably a rattle gun to pull the bush out of the arm.
You can also reverse the assy to pull the new bushes back on too.

I have done all my outer bushes on my au irs this way and did not need to remove the arms or need a press.
Cheers.
Definitely worth a shot as you have to drop the IRS cradle to get the upper arms out.

My lowers went first, as you'd expect, given that they carry the load of the car whereas the uppers only carry the load of the upper control arm's weight. I'd encourage you to double-check them just in case. I found an eBay seller selling Whiteline (not in a Whiteline box) for a reasonable price. $85 uppers (yes, you need a washer) and $85 lowers. So $170 posted for all four.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Falc...item4d31658b37

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Falc...item4638fc23ee
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2016, 10:20 PM   #14
wang6176820
Starter Motor

I tried several times to get the bush out but not successful. I'm wondering if I'm pulling out the bush in the right direction? Or doesn't matter I press it out to vehicle's forward direction or backward direction?
wang6176820 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2016, 10:44 PM   #15
zdenko
2002 XR6 VCT Owner

I'm confused by comments above of parts not being available.
I'm up for this too as my 260000 km outer bushes/joints on the upper arms look pretty worn out.

Superpro lists SPF3233K as the part and is applicable to AU BA BF FG Falcon and Territory's.
So are we saying here that these do not work on an AU IRS without spacers/washers?
Doesn't say anything on their website.

I also noted that on their website they now make IRS top mounts!!! RS010.

Nolathane lists 46338 as the part.
Its applicable vehicles is very different for their part. It lists a large range of Subaru Imprezza's, Foresters and BRZ's/86 as well as AU Falcons.
The picture of the bushing actually shows washers included.

SO who has used what in the past?
Air Hog Air Filter + 2.5 Inch Sterling Mandrel Bent Exhaust + Supercheap Oval Tip.
Carbon Fibre Style Vinyl Wrapped Roof and Boot
zdenko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post