Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Performance Club of ACT > Ford Performance Club of ACT Owners Club Events

Ford Performance Club of ACT Owners Club Events Meets, greats and timetables

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Shannons Wheels Event Uncertain ?

In the Canberra Times today. What a shame if its cancelled. I really enjoy this event.

Car clubs banned from displays on grassed areas
BY GRAHAM DOWNIE

11/02/2009

Canberra's 56 car clubs have been banned by the National Capital Authority from displays on grassed areas under the authority's control.
Coordinator of the Canberra Chapter of the Vintage Sport Car Club, John Phillips, said the decision, apparently taken in December, would significantly reduce tourism to Canberra.

He questioned why the Aboriginal tent embassy was permitted to occupy national land illegally when car clubs had been banned.

Acting chief executive of the authority Gary Rake said the NCA was placing conditions on approvals for events on national land to prevent damage to already stressed grass. Organisers were being encouraged to hold car shows on hard-surfaced areas such as car parks.

Mr Phillips said a rally in Canberra last year by vintage cars had brought about $550,000 into Canberra.

On March 22, about 1000 club cars would be displayed in Canberra.

''The north, east and west lawns [of Old Parliament House] are the only areas which can accommodate these numbers in Canberra.

''The alternative is to take the display to Queanbeyan or Goulburn, which the Canberra clubs would be loath to do.''

Old 11-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

2009 will not be affected I have heard as they are honoring event agreements made before Dec 2008. Where Shannons goes in 2010 is another thing, but they have ages to plan for it, as do we.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
Old 11-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok thanks Vic. So it's still on :
Old 11-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I heard this from one of the organisers. Apparently, some participants eager to depart (by using too much throttle) was one of the triggers and the NCA were getting sick of repairing the damage. It affects all car shows that use the venue, Wheels is not being singled out....
Old 11-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
BOSSGT302

Cool How do we enter?

Hi there, as i am just joining the ACT FPV&XR Club, wondering how i can enter my GT as part of the club display. Had a date at the Raider V Roosters on same day But my Chook supporting mate doesn't want tosee them loose again to the Raider and will have his R8 parked on the lawn with HSV : Club. So i think i need to woop him in the car display department. : : . Give me hoy about what i need to do. Cheers Barnesy
Old 11-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Barnes
Give me hoy about what i need to do.
You don't need to do much Barnesy. All you need to do is to keep an eye out for a thread on the event and add your name to the list. All details will be posted in that thread. This is what normally happens.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
appwkc

This will have an impact on our plans for the all ford day
Old 12-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Am I misteaken (hehe), but doesn't the NCA only control lands within the parliamentary triangle?

If so could we move our show, to John Knight Park for example (e.g. where Marques in the Park / we have been going for years).

Ford Performance Club of ACT
Old 12-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Yes, they don't control JKP. I'm interested to see where Shannons will go next year, most possibly JKP.

Old 13-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #10
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have they used EPIC in the past?
Old 13-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #11
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

And it was an EPIC failure too.

Had us out in the dusty tree-less car park on the mitchell end of the place.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
Old 13-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #12
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Yes, ironically events like these just beg for green grass, it's not the same otherwise.

Old 14-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #13
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebaby
Yes, ironically events like these just beg for green grass, it's not the same otherwise.
Have you considered that sometimes carpeted events fair even better - especially when the weather can be unpredictable. Years ago AFD was held out at Hall oval, used to get a good turnout and some big name drag / v8 teams along then 2 years of heavy rain killed it. Some of the mustang guys combined with other U.S. car clubs and held it in the convention centre - it was actually a very good setup. Another year the 2nd floor of parking at westfield was used, pretty good turnout although a little weird imo and too dark, although Ford got involved and sent the Sequential ELXR8 along with a few other concepts.

The club also held it on the Futsal arena 1 year, the weather again was a disaster but the potential was there as it had high exposure and people who don't normally go to these events stopped to have a look.

JNP or any other dead grassed area has and will fail to attract anyone but the diehard club people - particularly on the entrants side of things. If you want to have a real All Fords Day for the region, u will need to get a dustless (to a degree) venue so the Vince's of the world (bucky and vic know who I'm talking about) will be compelled to enter some of the higher end show cars, otherwise it'll just be another club get together. I think its time that Canberra had a real Ford show, people are begging for it across the models board and the club I think is definately in the best position of all the local ford clubs to push this along. My 2c anyway.
Old 15-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
xargon

NCA has informed me that our All Ford Day booking of the East Lawn on 14 March 2010 will be honoured.