Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-02-2005, 07:39 PM   #1
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Default Anyone in Melbourne interested in renting a factory?

This has been on my mind for a while, but now i'm being somewhat forced out of my house it has become more pressing!

I used to rent a factory in Seaford with a few mates and we stored all of our play cars there, did all of our major work there, shared tools and advice and had some really memorable **** ups there too! I'd really like to get something similar happening again but most of the guys involved have either moved away or gotten rid of their cars!

I don't have anywhere in mind or even a plan yet, just getting an idea of who is intersted in being a part of this. It would be rented and there might be some legal aspects involved in renting the commercial property, but its nothing I haven't done before and its not *that* hard to do.

So, anyone keen?
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
Kryton

you cant legally live on a commercial property can you?
what kind of rent would a warehouse be pulling a month?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
GTHO3_2

U r almost a life saver!!! I have done this in the past too and are looking to do it again. We have built some prety hot cars in the past including my "Mits Scorpion" with a EVO III lancer engine in it, VB/VL/VK Hand granade and a Hilux just to name a few.
I have been looking around for something like this or even to rent out someones garage for the next six mounths because hey its a extra $50 a week in someones pocket. My only problem is im in the Eastern Suburbs and with out a car at the moment as the Falcon is getting a rebuild (my need for a workshop) oh and if anyone can help me out with a garage pls pm me
GTHO3_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 08:05 PM   #4
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Ohh, i've not explained myself properly there at all! My apologies!

Not to live in, just as a place to work on and store our cars!!!

The legal aspects I was refering to was obtaining a lease on a commercial property as its quite different to a residential property.

As far as price goes, it depends entirely on where and how big. My mates and I all chipped in $100 per month for the seaford one as it was not in a good location for anyone wanting to run a business!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:05 PM   #5
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I might be interested, hopefully I'll have an XB I need to store in the next few months.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 08:07 PM   #6
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHO3_2
U r almost a life saver!!! I have done this in the past too and are looking to do it again. We have built some prety hot cars in the past including my "Mits Scorpion" with a EVO III lancer engine in it, VB/VL/VK Hand granade and a Hilux just to name a few.
I have been looking around for something like this or even to rent out someones garage for the next six mounths because hey its a extra $50 a week in someones pocket. My only problem is im in the Eastern Suburbs and with out a car at the moment as the Falcon is getting a rebuild (my need for a workshop) oh and if anyone can help me out with a garage pls pm me
I'm in the eastern suburbs as well. If you can hold on a few weeks this might just be a goer!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:07 PM   #7
GTHO3_2

XDC351 pls keep in touch and let me know if anything is aranged
Old 08-02-2005, 08:08 PM   #8
Twisted
Contributing Member

Ive been lookin at getting myself a project for awhile and somewhere to store it like a factory would be ideal. Only issue is i think most of you guys are out east and im far west:(

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 08:08 PM   #9
GTHO3_2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
I'm in the eastern suburbs as well. If you can hold on a few weeks this might just be a goer!

Y did ya have a place in seaford or did ya used to live around that area
Old 08-02-2005, 08:14 PM   #10
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

No I lived in kilsyth and drove accross town to get to seaford. If I was working on a major project i'd just sleep the night there. I'd prefer getting one a little closer to home but if the only decent factory was across town then i'd still go for it.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:18 PM   #11
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

I should also note that if this was to go ahead I'd need a few people who were prepared to go with this for the long haul as I cannot afford to pay for the place on my own. I'd have no problem with people who only wanted short term storage (the place we used to rent held 25+ cars) but the lease cannot be in my name alone.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:21 PM   #12
Psycho Chicken
Banned

How many people did you have in there last time?
Old 08-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #13
GTHO3_2

I live in MtEvelyn used to have a fac down Cavehill Industrial Park down Cavehill Rd Lilydale
Old 08-02-2005, 08:25 PM   #14
GTHO3_2

oh and as i said need something for six months but last time i said that it was 18 months
Old 08-02-2005, 08:28 PM   #15
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
How many people did you have in there last time?
Last time we had 7 permanents and between 2-3 people storing/working on their cars short term.

I'd be looking at having only had elec and water connected, but thats it. Go evens in the bills and charge a little bit extra with the short term guys to cover the bills but not have to involve them when the bills came in.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #16
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Well put me down mate, I've told myself I AM getting the XB by the time I turn 20. So even if I don't have one now, give me a few months.

This would make mum and dad WAY happier than having a half stripped car and a spare bathroom full of parts. Plus it'll keep it out of the weather. And hopefully someone else down there can help out with prep work and painting ;)

Only condition is I can probably only spare a 100 a month or so, maybe a bit more, so get it that cheap and I'm in!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:45 PM   #17
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Oh yeah, I can also supply the bar fridge dad nicked from his old work!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:48 PM   #18
LTDHO
The one and only

I might be interested.

Well, I am interested but I may have a garage to store the cars.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 08:50 PM   #19
GTHO3_2

yeh y not count me in also make my parents way happy Dad can have his garage back XDC what r the legalitys

XDC351
Psycho Chicken
GTHO3_2
Old 08-02-2005, 08:51 PM   #20
GTHO3_2

can spare $50 a week $200 month if need be but the cheaper the better for the lot of us

can we have a FF sign out the front LOL
Old 08-02-2005, 09:02 PM   #21
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i looked at doing this a while back with a couple of other members from here, they might still be interested, im not sure - but im interested, not a definate, but a definate maybe :

would depend on: A/ where it is B/ how much it is C/ how big it is D/ who else is renting

and if im not in...then ill still definately be in for the **** ups :hihi:
Old 08-02-2005, 09:03 PM   #22
GTHO3_2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickford2001
i looked at doing this a while back with a couple of other members from here, they might still be interested, im not sure - but im interested, not a definate, but a definate maybe :

would depend on: A/ where it is B/ how much it is C/ how big it is D/ who else is renting

and if im not in...then ill still definately be in for the **** ups :hihi:

Ya cant go wrong there tickford2001
Old 08-02-2005, 09:33 PM   #23
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Cost is more a factor of where and how big. I don't want to be paying too much either!

As far as the legalities go, it will depend on how many are seriously involved, but I'll discuss that with the people that are a definate. I cannot make any calls at this early stage, but I think we are all on the same wavelength so it should be easy as pie to get this sorted out and up and running.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:41 PM   #24
GTHO3_2

im real keen on this to happen want my car finished. It might get the eastern FF member together too. If we can get a for sure list and might get together and c what we agree on and arange
Old 08-02-2005, 11:13 PM   #25
BJ
Banned

Sounds like a plan I could be seriously interested.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 11:18 PM   #26
Kryton

can i bring up the factor of security and insurance of the property?
its all good till you get robbed of all your cars or the place gets torched and destroys everything.
any plans about this?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2005, 11:42 PM   #27
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Well, to give you an example of what I've just very quickly dug up. There is a 188sqm factory in bayswater going at the moment, very nice looking place too: http://www.commercialrealestate.com.au/32814

Cost would be all up (including rates, gst, etc) about $17,000 pa.

If we could get 10 people together that would be less than $150 per month. Of course 188sqm is fairly large and this is only an example, but its definately doable.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:48 PM   #28
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Insurance is something that has to be worked out between those that choose to participate. As we are not a business per se, insuring it as a whole (including the cars) might be a challenge. The other option is insuring everything but the cars with a policy and people can take out car insurance with places like vigil, who offer insurance for cars 'undergoing restoration'.

The alarm is all but sorted as one of my mates used to sell them and can still get them very cheap.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:51 PM   #29
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I wish I had a place to store my car when i had the XB....

Pity you can't live in the joint like in the movie Ghostbusters lol.

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 12:06 AM   #30
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Sounds like a great idea, my problem is that I'm out west too, although it doesn't take too long to get out that way.

The extra money that you could charge short termers that just want a place to store their cars because they have no where else to work on them could be put towards the bills.

I have a fridge and a fridge that's decided it's a freezer if anyone wants them, just come and get them and they're yours. Can you ever have enough beer fridges? :P

AFF car restoration and storage, I can see the sign now. ;)