Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-02-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
oneredED
need more boost

Default Question about police... (and a good story too)

Ok, i recently had an "incident" with a policeman (in which i wasn't fined), and up until this time i had the utmost respect for cops, but i'm no longer have any.

THE STORY:

I live (when not at uni) in a small country town, population about 800 people.

Long story short, two boys riding a petrol scooter, towing an esky rode up to myself and a mate at 2-3am near the foreshore of our local lake where my friend and i had been sittin and chattin for an hour or two. They offered us a beer, we said "no but cheers anyways", and they rode off and started messing around (burnouts, monos, throwing cans, etc). We left and walked elsewhere to get away from them in case the police came.

My friend and i (not at all drunk) saw a cop car in the distance cruising around very slowly, and continued on our way. A short time later a cop car approaches us from ahead and flashes it's high beams and we go over to the window, thinking we'll be fine...

We gave names and adresses (uni addresses).This was the conversation that followed, in almost EXACT words.

COP: "So what are you two boys doing near the lake at 3am???"

US (mostly me): "We had a sixpack each of beer at a mates house over the last few, maybe 4 hours i guess, and decided we'd better walk it off before morning so we'll be fine to drive."

"You guys have been riding a scooter around haven't you. You've been ****ing keeping people awake all night"

"Oh, you're looking for the guys on the scooter? We saw them like, 10-15 minutes ago on the foreshore there, riding up and down the peer with an esky thing on the back... Looked maybe 15-ish..."

"Don't ****ing bullshit me. Why are you guys puffing then? You were running from me?"

"Pardon? I'm smoking, as is XXXX (friend), and my ciggy doesnt have a filter as another friend broke it off earlier, hence i'm coughing and a bit weezy right now"

"Don't even try to..."

"We can give you more info on the boys and the scooter if that'd help ya out?"

"Look, don't ****ing bullshit me"

"well i'm sorry, but do you want the truth or not?"

"Dont ****ing lie, you know damn well you shouldn't be making noise on the street at 3 am keeping everyone else awake acting recklessly. I ought to do you for drunk and disorderly." (we had been speaking in almost whisper for nearly 2 hours since leaving a friends place, we were not keeping anyone awake)

"I'm sorry, did you say drunk and disorderly?"

"DON'T **** me around! Just **** off to where you're staying, and then in the morning you can **** off to whatever town it is you live, ballarat was it? and never come back..." (where he pulled ballarat from i don't know)

He then drives off with us still trying to tell him we have nothing to do with the scooter.

THE QUESTION:

Now my question is, can he swear at us like that? I thought it was very offensive. Before you call me soft, i'm sorry but i don't appreciate being told by a policeman who has been in the town for six months to "**** off" back where i came from and never come back, when i have lived in the town for nearly 20 years, and in fact i was even born there. Heck we hadn't even done anything wrong....

I have never ever wanted to punch someone as much as i did at that moment, but i'm glad i didn't

Cheers people!

Last edited by oneredED; 27-02-2005 at 09:58 PM.
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
kiwikid
have you seen my marbles?

typical cop doesnt listen and if you talked like him like that he'd get you for it.

i had asimilar situation a few years back,
was walking home (drunk) about 2-3am ( 5-10min walk).
i saw a car crepping up behind me and thought it was just some idiots it got closer and it was cops,
he pulled up beside me so i walked over he started to accuse me of stealing cars i said i just left a friends place about 100 meters down the road and to go there and verify he replyed dont ****ing preach your bullshit to me and to step away from the car, i steped back he and his mate got out and asked me to get on the ground(not wanting trouble i did what they said) he proceded to repeatedly kick me in the ribs with steal cap boots,
me being drunk and stupid jumped up and pushed him into the patrol car, i then looked over to see another cop car (3 cops one pointing mace one with handcuffs one with GUN) then i copped a face load of mace i was handcuffed and belted the crap outta and left there woke up an hour later by a taxi driver(they must have taken the handcuff so there was no evidence) and was given a free lift home....

Last edited by kiwikid; 27-02-2005 at 10:16 PM.
kiwikid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
oneredED
need more boost

I have only ever dealt with really nice cops, and even if i've been a little in the wrong (nothing huge, ie. riding pushy with no helmet etc) they treat you with respect (i guess until you give them lip). I've always wondered why people complain about cops so much... but now i know. He was a deadset ********.
Old 27-02-2005, 10:07 PM   #4
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a cocknocker, you should really go into the copshop with someone older (like your mum or dad) and report the ****er. Theirs no way in hell he can get away with that sort of behaviour when speaking to a member of the public. Next time tell him where to stick it then call 000 on him when his speaking to you, lol.
Old 27-02-2005, 10:10 PM   #5
oneredED
need more boost

Is it possible to lodge a formal complaint? Or is that just petty and useless?
Old 27-02-2005, 10:12 PM   #6
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Mate that sucks, but on the flipside there are some bloody awesome cops out there ie: my cousin, a good mate...not that it helps.
You should see the duty officer and lay a complaint, if ya really want to get nasty call in Internal affairs hehehe
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2005, 10:13 PM   #7
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yeah I wouldn't worry 'bout that mate. He was probably fresh to the force and was out trying to prove himself. Every town has these ****ers. As you said, most coppers have a reasonable attitude towards their work.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2005, 10:16 PM   #8
kiwikid
have you seen my marbles?

ohh and i am from ballarat...
Old 27-02-2005, 10:17 PM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredED
Definatley the petty and useless.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2005, 10:18 PM   #10
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
Yeah I wouldn't worry 'bout that mate. He was probably fresh to the force and was out trying to prove himself. Every town has these ****ers. As you said, most coppers have a reasonable attitude towards their work.
Chances are i won't follow it up, but i have the feeling as though i am no longer welcome to live in my home town. Weird i know but it's getting to me and ****ing me off a bit. He is not new to the force, he was about 35 and had been transferred from Melbourne (5hrs away) for gaining experience reasons or something. It made the local paper when he rocked up our town is that small :P

BAH! I'll justy get over it now, but it was good to get it off my chest, thanks people ;)
Old 27-02-2005, 10:18 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Whoa, nice guy!

Yes you can make a complaint, but there's a number of reasons why if it were me, i wouldnt:

* If the cop in questions has friends at the station, you probably wont get much of a reception, or unbiased treatment.

* You didnt get his badge number, or name.

* If you do complain and he comes across you again, chances are you'll get it again, and worse.

If anything, write a letter to the public relations dept of the police, explain the situation, and express your disgust (good word to use!). They will then most likely send a letter to the station from where the guy in question works, and that will be enough to put them on notice. If they're as smart as they want you to think they are, they wont do it again.
Old 27-02-2005, 10:25 PM   #12
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
Yes you can make a complaint, but there's a number of reasons why if it were me, i wouldnt:

* If the cop in questions has friends at the station, you probably wont get much of a reception, or unbiased treatment.

* You didnt get his badge number, or name.

* If you do complain and he comes across you again, chances are you'll get it again, and worse.
Ok, the guy is new to the station (6months or less). The 2 other policemen at the station are 10yrs plus in our town, and know me by name (they know my parents) but probably not face. The other cops are good friends of most people in the town, and i have drunk with one of them at a mates place a few times. I didn't get this dicks badge number, but the station works on a rotational basis, where-by only one officer on duty at a time, and i know fairly close to exactly what time we were confronted.

The only reason i won't complain is because i couldn't be stuffed, and because he'll then have an eye on me all the time, and probably continuously defect my car or something...

Last edited by oneredED; 27-02-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 27-02-2005, 10:36 PM   #13
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Mate talked to the coppers you do know they might be able to shed some light on the asswipe.
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2005, 11:05 PM   #14
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Talk to the guys you know for sure, don't let the ******** get away with it.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2005, 11:24 PM   #15
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

GO make that complaint. If hes new and thinks that thats the way things are run then more and more people will lodge complaints till he changes his attitude or gets fired.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 12:00 AM   #16
devil cv8

hehehe, many years ago I had a similar run in with the cops.

I was working during the week at a town 3 hours away from my home and commuting home for weekends. This was ok until I blew the motor up, so had to resort to busses for a month or 2.
One saturday morning I was waiting for the 3am (roughly) bus in the middle of winter and the bus was running late. As it was only a block away to where the bus driver normally stayed I decided to walk over and have a look. I didn't see the bus so I started walking back, hands in pocket, big jacket with collar up (it was below zero degrees) when I noticed a car driving in and out of the carpark, then it started following me, so I just kept walking. Then I heard a voice yell out "you there, stop"
I kept walking until someone grabbed my arm and turned me around, (there were 4 of them). The conversation went something like:
cop:I'm detective pig, what are you doing
me: waiting for a bus
cop: what did you say
me: I am waiting for a bus
cop: what are you doing over here
me: seeing if the bus is parked near where the driver stays
cop: I've never seen the bus parked over here
me: then obviously you haven't been around the town much, have you
cop: empty your pockets onto the ground
I emptied my pockets into my hand, explaining each and every item, until I came to my bus ticket..
cop was very apologetic and I went and caught my bus.

a week later I had a job in the police station, and saw the cop again. He told me they were looking for someone who was knocking over shops and I appeared to be suspicious, especially when I didn't come to them when they told me to stop, not to mention he didn't like my "waiting for a bus" comment. I (in the spirit of cooperation) said I don't appreciate being hassled when I am going about my lawfull business.... had no problems with that detective after that..
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 12:11 AM   #17
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

i would go speak to one of the other coppers there, you shouldnt have to take crap like that no matter who they are, sometimes some cops think becuase they are cops that they are above the law... total BS... dont take crap like that from anyone

Chris
Old 28-02-2005, 12:28 AM   #18
BIGKEV

Talking

big city cop finds him self in a small country town gets a chip on his shoulder and takes it out on everybody .My tip to you is find out where he parks the squad car and let two tyres down. :evilking:
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 12:44 AM   #19
Filthy GT-P
Saving Water Filthy again

Two letters that all coppers fear IA (internal Affairs, the coppers coppers). I would speak to them. A nice report on his file will remind him that the reason he missed out on a promotion was that he was needlessly rude to someone.
Old 28-02-2005, 08:41 AM   #20
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredED
Yes, it is worth it.

Ask for the 'Officer in charge' and make a formal complaint. Ask you mate to do the same.

Question. If you were the 'kids on the scooter' where was is when he hassled ya? The copper has issues!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 02:58 PM   #21
Danny
GT4.

Complain Jaz, go for it and dont hold back. I wont go into it but I was accused of stealing Petrol one night and threatened with charges and court action by a rude c*nt of a copper who rang me the next day, and sent a cop to my house.

The accusations were false, and it was a mistake on shell and the Cops behalf, and was fixed up very quickly, but to this day i regret letting that piece of shit get away with the way he spoke to me. I spoke to a lawyer as well and they reckon that I had reason to complain and possibly get some compensation for the stress that resulted.

Jaz your sitch sounded much worse. Sting the Maggot.
-Dan
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #22
TIRED6
A V8 salute to my DEATH

I had a similar run in with cops. My 17th birthday in some-one else's XD Wagon. Heading down Caramut Rd, Warnambool (about 500m from where i was going). Doing 66km's in school zone. Coppers in other lane pass me, turn around and pull me over. A young male officer and older female officer get out of the car and walk up to where im pulleds over. The young officer asks to see my license and the permit on the windscreen. He walks off and some time later returns to tell me i would be recieving a $511 fine for unregisted vehicle (the permit expired, doh). The female officer was so close to giving me a warning but the young officer fines me and pout out an APB on the XD. $10 trip to the RTA and $50 permit, $10 return trip on taxis later. There was about 5 cop cars go past to check on the car during this time. We got the permit on the windows, drove around the corner to the garage. 30 mins later i was on my way to the RTA with permit number (no permit needed for that) to register the car. From then on it was fine, registed in under 1 1/2 hours of being booked.

What a great 17th birthday present. lol

Later on i was also pulled over in the guys camira, running on 3 cylinders and smoking like a granny. The copper said he had seen the smoke and began looking for hoons. He got me 16km's from home and got reported to the EPA. No L - plates in vehicle, he let me off because i had so many other problems. Phew.

Learners, Luck.
TIRED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 07:08 PM   #23
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now to be fair you have to look at it from the cops side. I'm not saying he was in the right and I fully believe your should make a complaint, but it really must be frustrating to be a police officer in that situation. It's not as though the real culprits would have fessed up as soon as the cop confronted them, more likely they would have given very similar stories to your one. Although I hate my local pigs (I get similar sort of crap to what you explained) I can, from time to time, understand their frustration.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 08:49 PM   #24
Psycho Chicken
Banned

What? You're saying you understand them abusing him and his mate with the second sentence of the conversation?

Are you guys missing a few chromosome over that side of the tasman?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 09:04 PM   #25
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've had a few, none my fault, the worst one was this.

Living in London, 21, working at a big flash hotel in a posh district doing early shifts 5.30am start.
Freezing winter, i had a bald head, big puff dady ski jacket that covered half my head.
There had been a few bombings in London of late (1995)
Walking along, and a big white van all windows blacked out creeps slowly behind me, I turn a corner (having just walked straight past the hotel i worked at) to enter the staff entry and the van speeds up. Screetches around the corner, mounts the curb in front of me.
6 fockers dressed in black with machine guns jump out and point thier penile extensions at me and start asking me all sorts of shite.
Them= What are you doing
Me= Walking to work
Them= where do you work
Me= there (points)
Them= why so early
Me= people eat breakfast early
Them= So what do you do?
Me= cook breakfast
Them= why are you shaking
Me= It's cold
Them= take your hands out of your pockets
Me= ok
Them=SLOWLY!!! (Guns aimed)
Me= bbbbfffffffffftp (Sound one makes when shittting one's self!!!)
Them=Why do you look so nervous?
Me=When you were 21, in another country, in a dark lane, with guns pointed at you by huge guys in black, weren't you focking nervous?????

They turned around, got back in their van and left, no comment, no sorry.

Needles to say, i almost thought of taking the day off, as I was extremely traumatized, hey, i was 21.

Cops have a job to do, and I don't have a beef with any of them, in fact i have huge respect for most, it's a crap job with some awful duties, but if they were to treat me in anyway that I thought innapropriate, I'd make some noise. Not go gospel as it gets you nowhere, but just inform in writing of your complaint and ask to speak to someone senior.

There are alot of countries with worse coppers/soldiers policing the streets and I would know. I just got back from beijing yesterday, and trust me, you don't wanna fock with those fellas. Same as in Azerbaijan, my chef had a gun stuck to his head when the presidential thugs wanted to come into our kitchen during a plate up!!!!

Hooroo.
Mick

Last edited by conordec; 28-02-2005 at 09:13 PM.
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 09:47 PM   #26
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
What? You're saying you understand them abusing him and his mate with the second sentence of the conversation?

He's saying he sympathises with the cops, as well as him and his mate.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:21 AM   #27
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken

Nice one Einstein, you completely missed the point of my post. :tool:
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post