Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #31
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Default Re: Vfacts October

More imports headed our way...

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...utes-suv-81450

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2020, 01:59 PM   #32
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I don't think people realise where things are made, I wonder how many bought that nasty little MG SUV thinking of the MH sports cars of yesteryear..

lots of car companys have plants there along with those famous green tractors - the cap wearing rednecks would be horrified

and there are Fords made in china
I think anyone who owns one of those famous green tractors your talking about of which I own quite a few, knows that their are only two types you buy, the one one’s built in the the Waterloo factory in Iowa USA, and the 6000 series built in the Mannheim factory in Germany.
Next in line would be the Mexican built versions followed by the much cheaper Indian built small tractors..
Didn’t even know they made a Chinese version but like anything else, you only get what you pay for.....
Old 09-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #33
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007
I bought a Chinese 2 seater buggy for the kids - does that count?

PS the motor is stuffed after a few hard runs
No that doesn't count. Cheap throw away stuff is their mo.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 03:02 PM   #34
hayseed

Quote:

lots of car companys have plants there along with those famous green tractors - the cap wearing rednecks would be horrified
Which Series is Chinese Built..??

I know the 5 series is Indian.
Many years ago they Sold badge engineered Zetor Tractors from Czechoslovakia

My Green Mower has a Japanese Built Briggs & Stratton Motor..!
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2020, 04:37 PM   #35
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Which Series is Chinese Built..??

I know the 5 series is Indian.
Many years ago they Sold badge engineered Zetor Tractors from Czechoslovakia

My Green Mower has a Japanese Built Briggs & Stratton Motor..!
cant recall but when I was looking for a 20-30HP compact tractor I was advised these are not real John deeres

https://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-...s-manufactured
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #36
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well its seems the Endura is gone, just develop the Explorer for a wider market you nuffties!

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...e-axed-127174/

or...do something more with the Everest!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 06:32 PM   #37
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My thoughts.. would be for the Australian designers to develop an Everest designed for the tramac
Road going 20" wheels and lower profile tyres
RWD only, with more carlike less robust suspension
cosmetic changes like bumpers and side skirt or built in sidestep
like in the link

https://www.facebook.com/wilworks.ph...0831139783430/

this should be less costly to build

I believe people want something that can tow with 7 seats - (even if they never use them) - they don't necessarily need a robust 4WD.

look at the explorer - but the explorer is too big
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-11-2020, 06:42 PM   #38
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

What's happening with Chinese made vehicles is no different to when Korean and Japanese cars boomed in the respective era's.

They are offering a 'good enough' product for a cheaper price than the established competition. The average consumer has no clue to where a car is made, generally all they see is the price.

It's somehow within the Australian psyche to pay the least amount of money for any given product, and we are ALL guilty of this to a certain extent.

The 'Ken and Joy's' of Australia see a nice looking car with lots of features at a price too good to refuse. How many people bought a Hyundai and Kia under similar circumstances?

Personally, I think there are more serious political issues involved with what the Chinese brands are now attempting compared to the Korean companies. I would sooner by a Japanese brand with higher engineering standards and ethics, even if said brand doesn't actually make their vehicles in Japan.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2020, 01:25 AM   #39
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
This is disgusting. The way the chinese are bullying us by putting tariffs and bans on our products, we should be avoiding their junk at all costs.

What happened to national pride?
We can overcome this. Simply DO NOT buy Chinese junk, while there is a better choice. It ain't rocket science.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:28 AM   #40
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

We export far more to China than we import, so in a bitch fight our GDP can get hit really hard.
I think its important that we all realise just who we're dealing with and to what lengths they will
go to in order to exact revenge for Scott Morrison's call for an international inquiry into covid.
China was the reason that Australia avoided most of the GFC fallout, making an enemy of them
now may not have been the smartest move, that bears thinking about.

When it comes to vehicle choices, how can you go past the Koreans for affordable, low cost,
entry priced vehicles that have a level of quality not found in Chinese products.

Last edited by jpd80; 10-11-2020 at 06:35 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2020, 11:03 AM   #41
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
We export far more to China than we import, so in a bitch fight our GDP can get hit really hard.
I think its important that we all realise just who we're dealing with and to what lengths they will
go to in order to exact revenge for Scott Morrison's call for an international inquiry into covid.
China was the reason that Australia avoided most of the GFC fallout, making an enemy of them

When it comes to vehicle choices, how can you go past the Koreans for affordable, low cost,
entry priced vehicles that have a level of quality not found in Chinese products.
I wonder why most Australians don't know we easily export more to China than they sell to us. I guess boats of iron ore and coal and gas don't get noticed in suburbs like big box retail stores full of "Made In China" goods.
And while no-one will admit it a China Built Ford product isn't the lowest rated build quality in the Ford empire.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2020, 12:16 PM   #42
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Well its seems the Endura is gone, just develop the Explorer for a wider market you nuffties!

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...e-axed-127174/

or...do something more with the Everest!
The 7 seater Escape that is coming in a year or 2, will most likely be the replacement for Endura.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007
My thoughts.. would be for the Australian designers to develop an Everest designed for the tramac
Road going 20" wheels and lower profile tyres
RWD only, with more carlike less robust suspension
cosmetic changes like bumpers and side skirt or built in sidestep
like in the link

https://www.facebook.com/wilworks.ph...0831139783430/

this should be less costly to build

I believe people want something that can tow with 7 seats - (even if they never use them) - they don't necessarily need a robust 4WD.

look at the explorer - but the explorer is too big
They already have a 5 seater and a RWD Everest. But I get what you are saying. I think there is also more room at the top for an Everest Platinum model like the Expedition luxury models they have in the US. Maybe even look at giving it a longer wheelbase. Probably not enough of a market for it though.

But they definitely want to expand the Everests appeal. A lot of that will come down to the more US styling of the new model. From what the journos are saying it will look more like Explorer/Expedition.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2020, 12:34 PM   #43
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
They should have got the hybrid here from the start. Now with the PHEV being recalled in europe, due to a supplier electrical component causing a few to catch fire during charging, we won't even see the PHEV for at least 12 months.

Are they not looking at RAV4 Hybrid sales hard enough? Cause they damn well should be. It's not an anomaly, they are selling heaps of them, and have been for months on end.
As a potential buyer, the Toyota hybrid is proven, works, 20 years of development, no fire issues that I know of, crazy taxi mileage numbers too (just like the old Falcon... happy sigh), it is not an expensive extra (though their starting prices are!). Further, same hybrid in all their passenger/SUVs so it's a no-brainer choice. SUVs inbound with hybrid options will include Yaris Cross, Corolla Cross, Kluger, then there's CH-R and RAV4. That's gotta be close to a checkmate for Toyota in current market.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:36 PM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
As a potential buyer, the Toyota hybrid is proven, works, 20 years of development, no fire issues that I know of, crazy taxi mileage numbers too (just like the old Falcon... happy sigh), it is not an expensive extra (though their starting prices are!). Further, same hybrid in all their passenger/SUVs so it's a no-brainer choice. SUVs inbound with hybrid options will include Yaris Cross, Corolla Cross, Kluger, then there's CH-R and RAV4. That's gotta be close to a checkmate for Toyota in current market.
The hybrid being such a cheap option (something like 2k) means it was always going to be such an attractive selection. No other manufacturer has come close to getting a hybrid option so cheap.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #45
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What are we looking at with other brand's hybrid extra pricing?

PHEV about 8 or 9K extra?
Old 10-11-2020, 12:44 PM   #46
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't think people realise where things are made, I wonder how many bought that nasty little MG SUV thinking of the MH sports cars of yesteryear..

and there are Fords made in china
The story of how China aquired MG itself is a shocker, the drunken executives signing away the company!
Old 10-11-2020, 12:53 PM   #47
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post

I will say one nice thing about a Chinese manufacturer: if you are a nerd who likes building models, this company's injection molded kits are quite simply the best there are:

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-...deluxe-edition

They have achieved something quite remarkable - they have out-done the Japanese companies that traditionally dominate the detail/quality of this field. We should not underestimate China, and will have to be at the top of our quality game if we wish to compete with manufactures.