Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Saab - Collectible or Orphan?

As I'm sure most are aware, Saab (after being dumped by GM) went down the shitter. Saab Australia did have a bucket-load of spares, but they went bust too, so I'm not sure what became of them.
In WA our only Saab dealer shut up shop, and servicing & repairs were handed over to the local Kia dealership.

So here’s the deal; I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for the ole Saab, especially in the days when they were butt-ugly yet innovative. Would never buy one for myself though.
However, for reasons known only to God and a few psychiatrists, Her Indoors’ dream car has always been a Saab convertible. Now, after years of gumpy station wagons, people movers and vans, we’re finally in a place where we can afford one, and it’s feasible for her to drive. (Only two kids left.) And I have an opportunity to pick one up at a decent price.

So, what say the collective? Collectable or Orphan?
I'm actually not too fussed about collectability, I figure that’s a pipe-dream. But equally I don’t want to get stuck with a car that busts, that can’t be fixed for lack of parts and expertise, and that we then can’t offload.
I EXPECT some issues with a 2nd hand car, and it won’t always be the daily driver.
They were built in Austria by Magna Steyr, so I’d hope build quality is ok. They share a platform and engine with the Vectra, so that might make SOME parts slightly more accessible.

This user likes this post:
Old 06-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
satria
FOXWHO

Default Re: Saab - Collectible or Orphan?

I too once had a soft spot for some saab's. Then the drugs wore off and i've been normal again ever since, i think you'd probably regret it.
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Rodge
Banned

I recommend intensive therapy for your partner. If you're lucky she will get over her fixation and you can buy a proper vehicle.

Its an Orphan and will cause you a ton of problems and grief. My 2 cents
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old boss had an 03 Saab convertible. It truly was a terrible car to drive as it scuttle-shaked its way down the road.

Orphan.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Definitely an orphan but then there isn't anything wrong in having something that no one else wants. It should be cheap, they are mechanically simple enough and while the convertibles weren't the nicest thing to drive they are generally reliable enough.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once you buy it, it's yours for life til the scrap merchants are given it.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

i used to work at a saab dealer selling spares, mate don't do it, terrible terrible cars
frankie86 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never been a SAAB fan although I did like the fact that the 4 stud 15" Interceptor rims on the earlier models fitted perfectly on Cortinas.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've know 3 people too have saabs. all 3 where mid 90s models with the 2.3L engine. (think the 900 model?? I don't know much about saabs) motors seemed alright when looked after. I seen one person I haven't seen in years driving his the other day so thats one that I know off that is still going!! I don't know what parts are like and that would be what i'd be worried about myself if I wanted too buy one. I cant see them ever being a collectable but in saying that who cares. so long as you like it that's the main thing. try and look for a well maintained one that's had a rather easy life
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The low volume of Saabs sold here, Saab being sold off by GM and Saab Australia going under means that parts supply will be worse than before and quite possibly more expensive. For a "luxury" car they'd be pretty cheap, but I'd give them a wide berth as cost of maintenance could be high due to parts issues which could also result in your car being off the road while waiting for parts not in stock locally.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know a family who have had 3 (2 convertibles and then a 4 door) Never had problems in the 10+ years of Saab ownership. Only changed brands because they saw the writing on the wall a few years before they closed.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Only one I would get is a really old one from the 50's or 60's as I like old cars...

If it were a newer model it would be the Viggen, something like 180kw through the front wheels... Neither would be a daily driver.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
nstg8a

Probably at that point where you could buy a real nice one for not much, then a very average one for parts for bugger all.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
351hardtop
Wahoo

I was just talking with a bloke a few weeks ago who was complaining about the horrendous cost of a part for his wife's convertible SAAB (if the part could be found). I don't remember exactly what that part was, but it was crazy what he was quoting.

Aside from anything else SAAB specific, maybe look at typical replacement cost for vert parts before you pull the trigger on one.

SAAB has been around for a very long time and pioneered the turbo charged factory passenger vehicle. They can't be that bad. They're certainly well built and very safe.

I suppose they'd be the same as BMW, Volvo etc. as far as reliability and cost of parts. If they're not cared for or abused, they will make you pay and they get a bad rep but I would think a well cared for car with proper service records shouldn't be a problem (other than the availability of parts).

One thing's for sure, if you need to get out of it, it will be hard to sell.

The C70 Volvo convertible might be an alternative?

Imparts in Osborne Park are an independent retailer of Euro car parts if it helps.
351hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290GTP View Post
My old boss had an 03 Saab convertible. It truly was a terrible car to drive as it scuttle-shaked its way down the road.

Orphan.
I think in their day Saab were a good car. They were solid, offered class-leading safety, and innovative engines. Their luxury levels were exceptional for their price, and they were making nice 4 seater convertibles when that market was mostly ignored by other Euro brands. But that was then. This is after all a cosmetically enhances Opel Vectra, and the safety & luxury levels are easily matched by any other “top of the range” midsized car.
As a car, I do think it would suit her well, as she doesn’t need a performance machine. 100% reliability isn’t critical, but then again what do I do when the turbo kaks itself?
To be honest, the money doesn’t bother me, but I might be better off buying her a diamond ring. The positives of gifting her the car of her dreams might be slightly offset when it turns into a garden ornament.
At the very least, I think I would need to befriend a Saab mechanic BEFORE taking the plunge.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351hardtop View Post
The C70 Volvo convertible might be an alternative?
The exact car I was also considering buying when I wanted a turbo coupe. 2.3/2.4L with almost 180kw as well in certain models. If memory serves they were almost all auto and I wanted a manual. The late 90's / early 00's coupe and convertible C70 is still a good looking car IMO, and now not all that expensive.

Ended up buying a 96 Fiat Coupe.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #17
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I think in their day Saab were a good car. They were solid, offered class-leading safety, and innovative engines. Their luxury levels were exceptional for their price, and they were making nice 4 seater convertibles when that market was mostly ignored by other Euro brands. But that was then. This is after all a cosmetically enhances Opel Vectra, and the safety & luxury levels are easily matched by any other “top of the range” midsized car.
As a car, I do think it would suit her well, as she doesn’t need a performance machine. 100% reliability isn’t critical, but then again what do I do when the turbo kaks itself?
To be honest, the money doesn’t bother me, but I might be better off buying her a diamond ring. The positives of gifting her the car of her dreams might be slightly offset when it turns into a garden ornament.
At the very least, I think I would need to befriend a Saab mechanic BEFORE taking the plunge.
Get her the car , alot less hassle than signing your life away . . .
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being a big two-stroke engine lover, I've always wanted one of the very early two-stroke SAAB cars...the real oddball looking ones.

That, or one of the first Turbos, like a 900 or something.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #19
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I had a SAAB 96V4...but that was back in the 70's.

We tried killing it in the 1970 Ampol round Australia trial and failed.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #20
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

My wife recently bought a 97 Saab 900S Convertible 2L. She loves the thing. Picked it up dirt cheap from the original owner who kept every receipt from new and kept it serviced on time. It's in immaculate condition. The car has been very reliable to date but I'm expecting parts to be hard to get and expensive. I'm actually surprised how well it goes.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Join the SAAB club. They will have contacts for parts etc.

A bit like AFF
Old 06-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #22
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I had (well the ex did) a 1998 2.3l manual 900s saab convertible. Wasn't too bad a car with exceptional luxo touches for a car of that era.. Heated seats, mirrors, incredible factory audio system, leakfree quiet ragtop and great solid finish. These things are geared pretty high for European roads and the top speed something you'd never expect from a 4cyl. (130plus mph from memory)
It did hate over 38deg days though, suffering fuel evaporation probs.
Over the years, I put a clutch kit and clutch cable in it, brake pads, various hoses and a water pump. The parts were surprisingly cheap and freely available through Alan Mance in Footscray.
There's a Saab owners forum ("Saab Central"based in US) with every conceivable bit of info you'd wish for.. I would have been lost without some of their workshop info.. Especially the clutch cable (it's a doozy)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #23
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are the cv joints a unique item?

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #24
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3 View Post
Get her the car , alot less hassle than signing your life away . . .
Did that 25 years ago...

Now I am trying to BUY it BACK
Old 06-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #25
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Don't ever expect it to increase or maintain value.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #26
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Orphan.

It's not my thing, but I have a friend who bought a 93 viggen for not many $$$ and it seems like a reasonable car.

It won't be worth anything for a very long time if ever, but could be fun if the service costs don't kill you.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #27
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

don't think he cares about that. I think he more so wants a car that he likes. which is someone I'd rather buy a car off then some one that wants too make a profit. i'd rather buy a well looked after car then some fake GT that's probably rusted out and wants stupid money for it just because its an XR-XB falcon etc.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Worked on a 2007 I think Saab 93/95, that thing was freakin' FAST and nice inside too.

And I've worked on a 90s Saab 900, face like a smashed crab, eccentric owners (high school teachers), had some interesting features for a 90s car like bulb warning failure etc. Replaced a brake switch on it.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #29
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I NEVER expect cars to do anything but COST money. My question is more whether these cars will continue to be desirable (by their nutty owners) hence ensuring a continued demand for parts and qualified service, or whether they are deserting like rats off the proverbial? If it was for me, I’d take a punt, buy the car and if it turned to ****, just sell it to a wrecker for whatever I could get.
As I mentioned, for some odd reason this has always been The War Office’s dream car. There aint gonna be any more Saabs, (even this one is a face-lifted Vectra.) So it’s now or never as far as getting a decent late-model low km example. But again, don’t want to buy her the car of her dreams, only to have it turn to *****.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:57 AM   #30
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Values have definitely fallen since they folded, however you do get a hell of a lot of car for the money.
Spares and servicing is where you might get stung, but I reckon they are good buys.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post