Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-08-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default C tek

Just to let you know Repco has some good discounts at the moment for Ctek chargers in case any of you are interested.
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2020, 12:50 AM   #2
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: C tek

Well I just bought a M200 427$ local marine shop, 237 at Frankies Auto Electrics.
Old 27-08-2020, 05:30 PM   #3
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for letting us know GT450. I went to Repco today and bought the 5.0 amp charger $99.00 with a bonus power bank. Been thinking about one for ages.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did the same ozpacman, handy to have.
Old 28-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
Nosmo
Starter Motor

Thanks for the heads up. I've already got an older mx5.0s but picked up two more as they're a great unit and very handy to have. Even more discount with RAA card ($178.80 total)
BF Fairmont Ghia
BA Fairmont
BA XR6
Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG
Toyota LC200 Sahara
Nosmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2020, 05:01 AM   #6
gooseneck
Banned

Geez the C Teks are a bit overpriced aren't they?

50% more than Victron.

12v/10A Victron: $200 on amazon.com.au
12v/10A C-Tek: $279 on amazon.com.au

What is the appeal exactly?

Victron is a 'premium' brand and even the Victron balks at the C-Tek's price.

I've found things that are engineered in "enter 1st world country name here" are going based upon a presumed reputation of quality where there is none. German cars for example, designed well and look good but expensive as hell and really not worth your time and money.

You know its not that difficult to engineer a charge curve for a lead acid battery. I even did it once with an arduino. Doubt there is any smarts in overpaying for a charger. Just saying once the sale is off I wouldn't bother with one and if the sale brings it down to the price of a victron then its not really a sale then is it. More of a slimey tactic designed to get you into the Repco store. Something that I've experienced in the past with repco.

Also last time I walked into Repco I hopped out with only a walking stick under one arm. Have always found their stuff to be typically much more expensive than other stores.

$2 here and there above the other priced items. $4.95 in other areas. But it adds up.

(Hint: Arm and a leg joke)

Last edited by gooseneck; 30-08-2020 at 05:30 AM.
gooseneck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2020, 05:36 AM   #7
gooseneck
Banned

Victrons have bluetooth too. and lithium charging modes.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...30V_EN_web.pdf
Old 30-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #8
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseneck View Post
Victrons have bluetooth too. and lithium charging modes.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...30V_EN_web.pdf
I’ve only ever seen this brand for solar battery charger systems...
The 10 amp unit looks good

I have the c tek MXS 5 amp unit and it’s been a very reliable and good functioning unit. Interesting to note that Victron spec sheet recommends the 10 amp unit for car batteries. I guess it’s all to do with float levels and type of battery. The Bluetooth functionality is a bit gimmicky and worthless but the ability to update firmware and 5 year warranty v 2 year ctek warranty is a bonus. I’ll look into this brand if my ctek fails.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #9
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Wink Re: C tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey-AMG View Post
I’ve only ever seen this brand for solar battery charger systems...
The 10 amp unit looks good

I have the c tek MXS 5 amp unit and it’s been a very reliable and good functioning unit. Interesting to note that Victron spec sheet recommends the 10 amp unit for car batteries. I guess it’s all to do with float levels and type of battery. The Bluetooth functionality is a bit gimmicky and worthless but the ability to update firmware and 5 year warranty v 2 year ctek warranty is a bonus. I’ll look into this brand if my ctek fails.
I completely agree.

If you buy C Tek, you have paid a large brand tax. There's other options available.
Eg.
I bought five of the Aldi 4 Amp units and they have survived on worksites in extreme heat and cold for over two years now. LCD display, three operating modes and auto float charging etc Paid $39 each for them.
Old 30-08-2020, 11:25 AM   #10
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every time I see CTEK I think of DYSON, spin, spin & more spin.

I've had a 4 Amp Arlec (cheap & comes with an Ammeter) for as long as I can remember, put it on charge until the current drops to one Amp then let it top off for a couple more Hours & the job's done.
If you want a maintenance charger buy a wall wart.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2020, 05:46 PM   #11
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
Every time I see CTEK I think of DYSON, spin, spin & more spin.

I've had a 4 Amp Arlec (cheap & comes with an Ammeter) for as long as I can remember, put it on charge until the current drops to one Amp then let it top off for a couple more Hours & the job's done.
If you want a maintenance charger buy a wall wart.
Dunno about the Dyson analogy. That stuff is good. I’ve had aarlec , karcher and Electrolux cordless jobbies and the Dyson eats em all for breakfast, lunch and dinner. ( V11 model, works just as well as our corded Miele)

The CTEK is a good unit. It’s expensive in comparison but they are reliable and well made. Anyone that buys one won’t be disappointed for general trickle charging and maintenance . They are also standard equipment sold as accessories for Mercedes , Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini . They just whack their individual logos on the Ctek unit and are sold as OEM equipment through their dealer networks. There is a lot of market confidence with their products and they are pretty good. Doesn’t mean the other lesser known brands aren’t , it’s just that people will gravitate towards the better known and well represented brands. Nothing working with that when they perform well and especially better value when they are on sale as they are at the moment.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
2 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #12
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep and ctek owners will defend their purchase to the death exactly the same as dyson owners.
Deep down they know they've been suckered.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-08-2020, 07:29 PM   #13
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
Yep and ctek owners will defend their purchase to the death exactly the same as dyson owners.
Deep down they know they've been suckered.
Silly and unfounded comment to make really. When you purchase something that performs as expected and better than most of the competition it’s called an astute and educated purchase. If they don’t perform, regardless of cost or brand then it’s reason enough to debate the virtues of that brand and share the experience in a mature way. Anyways......

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
7 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #14
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gooseneck, xahh, Fed et al. Relax men - purchase of a Ctek isn't compulsory!

I'm happy I bought one and don't feel that I've been bent over by doing so.

About three years ago I paid about $60 for a similar style charger from one of the large car accessory chain stores. Sort of a rip-off version of a Ctek or similar.

After about 12 months use the 'Mode' button sort of fell down inside the unit making it unusable. I pulled it apart and did a bodge repair by shoving a bit of ally behind the switch to support it and whilst it still works to this day, I thought it was a pretty crappy design to fail like that.

I'm more than happy to pay $99 bucks for what is a recognized brand with a few extra features over my cheaper charger. This one suits my purposes as I have several motorcycles on which I like to keep batteries charged if I haven't had them out for a run in a reasonable time.

The price difference is negligible if it lasts well.

Cheers,

Russ.
4 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2020, 11:21 PM   #15
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
Gooseneck, xahh, Fed et al. Relax men - purchase of a Ctek isn't compulsory!

About three years ago I paid about $60 for a similar style charger from one of the large car accessory chain stores. Sort of a rip-off version of a Ctek or similar.

After about 12 months use the 'Mode' button sort of fell down inside the unit making it unusable. I pulled it apart and did a bodge repair by shoving a bit of ally behind the switch to support it and whilst it still works to this day, I thought it was a pretty crappy design to fail like that.

I'm more than happy to pay $99 bucks for what is a recognized brand with a few extra features over my cheaper charger. This one suits my purposes as I have several motorcycles on which I like to keep batteries charged if I haven't had them out for a run in a reasonable time.

The price difference is negligible if it lasts well.

Cheers,

Russ.
Hey mate,
Even if it was compulsory, I'd buy something that's better value for money under the radar. Last time I checked, everyone here is entitled to an opinion. I respect yours, please give others here the same privilege.

Mine is an educated decision and so is yours. We just went to different schools. I'm glad you are happy with C Tek. In my opinion it's not the best value for money out there. I've got my reasons and you have yours so let's just agree to disagree.
Old 30-08-2020, 11:25 PM   #16
gooseneck
Banned

Quote:
Really?

Because the only other explanation is that you like to show off and brag by buying something by brand name.

or....

That you don't think clearly before buying something and you're not alone, I'm sure plenty of other people out there also make the same mistake.

Which makes me feel sad because giving money to companies that used brand name to sell a cheap device is bad for the environment and bad for the economy. It sets a bad example to poorer people when they think they need to spend $50,000 on a dual cab to go camping and buy $300 C-Tek chargers just to charge a battery.

It sounds like you had a bad experience with that $60 charger, my suggestion is to stop buying from brick and mortar stores without first reading a review for it online. I've had tons of good luck spanning 2 decades by reading reviews for the device online first before buying it. Even if you eventually go and buy it from a brick and mortar store after reading it. Infact I do that all the time to keep brick and mortar stores open.

I'm willing and happy to help anyone on this forum to find cheaper but reliable devices that don't cost an arm and a leg.

It also makes me feel nervous being in a country where people buy something without thinking it through first, you know like my life is in danger.

Last edited by gooseneck; 30-08-2020 at 11:53 PM.
Old 31-08-2020, 10:27 AM   #17
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gooseneck you need to take a chill pill. I put the note on here for members to make their choice as several Cteks were on special at the moment and despite what you say they have a good reputation which is what sells them , and word of mouth is good too.
I personally bought one as a spare as I use a projecta 1.6 milliamp trickle charger permanently connected to my car ( as it was to my GT for 12 years ) and whilst that was about $55 when I bought it all those years ago it still performs faultlessly. So I am not a battery charger snob but recognise value when I see it and was just trying to help some fellow members not stuffing my opinion of what I consider the best down their throats, then arguing with them when the disagree. This forum is to help ....not preach.
Old 31-08-2020, 11:10 AM   #18
DougalXR6

Thanks for the heads up GT450.
I have purchased the 5 Amp kit with the bonus items for $99. A good quality charger at a good price.
I've been thinking of replacing my 30 year old Ferguson 4 Amp charger for a while now and finally took the plunge.
DougalXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2020, 11:11 AM   #19
HIPO
Al

Man! are all threads going to **** now over nothing? bought my c-tec about 7yrs ago and was a fair deal back then..... use the re-con on a regular basis for tractor, quad & 3 cars... very happy with it!
HIPO is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2020, 01:57 PM   #20
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a Ctek Dc-Dc charger a few years ago and I am happy with it.Did I pay too much?,well time will tell , maybe I did,maybe not.Goose neck reckons Victron are the best!maybe they are.Must remember sometimes the best is only the opinion of the seller who comes up with slick advertising to justify their claims
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I got a good price on the ctek I bought a few years ago.

Do I care if I might have been able to get another brand $20 bucks cheaper? Hell no. It's been faultless.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2020, 03:00 PM   #22
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

^^^ agree.

Who knew there's be so much passion shown about battery chargers? Sheesh.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2020, 03:30 PM   #23
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post
^^^ agree.

Who knew there's be so much passion shown about battery chargers? Sheesh.
Well there’s no more HSV v FPV stuff going on.
Now it’s C-tek v the world..

In all seriousness though, I’ve had my MXS 5 for well over 7 years and it’s still operating well. Any decent charger is worth it’s price ( high or low ) if it’s saved you even 1 battery going off too early !!

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
2 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2020, 03:37 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

From my experience the CTEK stuff is great but regardless how 'smart' they are I've had CTEK and Projecta chargers boil batteries - don't leave em on when you aren't home and don't let lead acid batteries sit on float charge for weeks on end. Had various smart chargers from 5A to 50A and they've all cooked batteries so be careful.

https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/...plosionsv3.pdf

Publication from Worksafe Victoria on sealed lead acid battery explosions caused by evaporation of electrolyte solution because sitting on float charge for weeks on end.

It specifically mentions automotive type 'maintenance free' batteries.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 31-08-2020 at 03:44 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #25
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Speaking of Repco sales at the moment
Anyone out there used one of these ?
Decent or garbage ..

https://www.repco.com.au/en/4x4-adve...f1f0YkU-7jxvBU

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 31-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #26
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Looks like it should come from an adult shop!
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2020, 04:41 PM   #27
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Looks like it should come from an adult shop!
I didn’t ask if it works for tyres , just if it works...

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
4 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #28
Blue_XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450 View Post
Just to let you know Repco has some good discounts at the moment for Ctek chargers in case any of you are interested.
I wish I had known about this when I purchased mine. I saw a sale on sparesbox for 20% off so I purchased my CTEK MXS 5.0 for $105 on the same day that this was available. Ah well, I just miss out on the additional battery pack.

YouTube channel: Modaufy Garage
https://www.youtube.com/c/ModaufyGarage
Blue_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2020, 06:29 PM   #29
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Goodness me, this current thread has certainly sparked an emotion charged response. Can't believe how the debate has really started to amp up...

Oh dear - that was terrible...
Old 31-08-2020, 06:55 PM   #30
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Goodness me, this current thread has certainly sparked an emotion charged response. Can't believe how the debate has really started to amp up...

Oh dear - that was terrible...
Most sensible post so far in this thread

My Optima Red Top will only charge properly with the C-Tek drip charger. It's a little champ and the Red Top is still going after 12 years on a car that gets driven monthly!

For the Century lead batteries I use a Callibre 3-stage pulse. This is a great charger for revitalizing batteries that would otherwise have gone to scrap. It wasn't cheap but it has paid for itself in doubling the normal expected life of lead acid batteries. Highly recommended.

http://media.supercheapauto.com.au/s...026d9f6b4e.pdf
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: