Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-08-2020, 08:37 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: C tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Most sensible post so far in this thread

My Optima Red Top will only charge properly with the C-Tek drip charger. It's a little champ and the Red Top is still going after 12 years on a car that gets driven monthly!

For the Century lead batteries I use a Callibre 3-stage pulse. This is a great charger for revitalizing batteries that would otherwise have gone to scrap. It wasn't cheap but it has paid for itself in doubling the normal expected life of lead acid batteries. Highly recommended.

http://media.supercheapauto.com.au/s...026d9f6b4e.pdf
This was my favorite Optima moment:

Was old as the hills as well, then this happened

Customer was getting them as cheap takeouts from decomissioned emergency vehicles, that one lasted near on a decade.

They're not as good as they used to be though, they went downhill after moving production out of the USA.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-08-2020, 09:43 PM   #32
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_XR View Post
I wish I had known about this when I purchased mine. I saw a sale on sparesbox for 20% off so I purchased my CTEK MXS 5.0 for $105 on the same day that this was available. Ah well, I just miss out on the additional battery pack.
Plus a rubber bumper protector, and also an eyelet lead/plug with charge indicator useful especially where battery is not readily accessible.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2020, 10:08 PM   #33
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I don't know much about good or bad battery chargers, but I do know Repco are a bunch of ripoff scumbags so any discounting would only bring their stuff inline with any other retailer.
My closest parts store is a Repco, and I avoid it like the plague where possible, last week I was heading away camping and overlooked the fact that my recently acquired Pajero had a round 7 pin plug whereas the camper has a flat 7 pin so rather than mess around changing the plug I thought id buy an adaptor and begrudgingly went to Repco to save time...$40+ later and after watching some bloke lose his **** when he asked for a 14mm welch plug for his Patrol only to be asked for the rego number and then told the system only lists a 20mm item, I headed off.
Yesterday I saw the same item in Sprint auto for $25

For the record I use a 16A Projecta to maintain my camper 105ah AGM

Sorry for the OT, but Repco grind me, in fact I put them well below Supercheap and that's sayin' something..
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2020, 10:50 PM   #34
gooseneck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post
^^^ agree.

Who knew there's be so much passion shown about battery chargers? Sheesh.
The passion isn't about battery chargers directly. Its about people unnecessarily wasting money and getting ripped off because they don't make an informed descision, they just walk slowly into Repco like zombies and plonk down cash and walk out.

Another member here said that I reckon Victron is the best. Not necessarily, they are a good substitute in this situation only. I wouldn't buy one of their inverters again without replacing the electrolytic capacitors inside with long life types. The ones inside my 12v/300 inverter are 1,000 hour type, the only reason why I haven't replaced them yet is because its difficult to impossible to get longer life capacitors in the exact size that it needs at least thats what I think was my conclusion the last time I was looking with it open on the bench. It could actually be a deliberate design flaw and 'planned obsolescence'.

I actually own a SunStar charge controller and for portable QRP Operation I designed and fabricated my own PCBs to make a charge controller that is 100% radio silent so I could still operate while charging without any radio noise on the shortwave bands.

You guys can pretend all you want that this is all about nasty big mean old me picking on people about buying C-tek chargers but thats not necesserially 100% the case. I'm only picking on you because you're idiots and are buying C-Teks without looking at the alternatives available first.

FEEL FREE to buy a C-tek charger.

Quote:
not stuffing my opinion of what I consider the best down their throat
Do you really feel this is the case with my posts? The last guy to criticize my post blew it out of the water too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
Gooseneck, xahh, Fed et al. Relax men - purchase of a Ctek isn't compulsory!
Did I say it was?

I agree I got a bit bent out of shape in a post after this post but before this post I thought I was being reasonable with my demands for a blood and skull throne.

I mean you've got to look your best when you're torturing fellow forum members.

Last edited by gooseneck; 31-08-2020 at 11:07 PM.
gooseneck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2020, 10:54 PM   #35
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

C Tek = Brand Tax. Pay if you want. Designed in Sweden, made in China. I have nothing against the product. Enjoy if you can afford.
Old 31-08-2020, 11:11 PM   #36
gooseneck
Banned

Most people in this thread are buying the $99 C-Tek chargers, there is a far smaller price difference between two 5 amp chargers from different brands than there is the 10 amp versions so it kinda makes sense.

That I've got nothing against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I don't know much about good or bad battery chargers, but I do know Repco are a bunch of ripoff scumbags so any discounting would only bring their stuff inline with any other retailer.
Repco however. geez they tick me off. I hadn't been in my local one in 10 years or more, I was desperate so I went into my local store recently to ask if they had a power steering pulley removal tool. Got told that the AU Falcon power steering pumps had metal pulleys not plastic ones and that I don't need to remove the pulley first before I rebuild the pump.

I think he was just pulling the chain if you ask me. If you want to know someone who really doesn't want to help then all you gotta do is look at all of the posts here and see how much emotion was brought up when I made my first two posts in this thread.

A thread full of Repco PTSD sufferers maybe?

Last edited by gooseneck; 31-08-2020 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:22 AM   #37
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseneck View Post
The passion isn't about battery chargers directly. Its about people unnecessarily wasting money and getting ripped off because they don't make an informed descision, they just walk slowly into Repco like zombies and plonk down cash and walk out.

You guys can pretend all you want that this is all about nasty big mean old me picking on people about buying C-tek chargers but thats not necesserially 100% the case. I'm only picking on you because you're idiots and are buying C-Teks without looking at the alternatives available first.

I agree I got a bit bent out of shape in a post after this post but before this post I thought I was being reasonable with my demands for a blood and skull throne.
You've said your piece now let it rest.

Calling people idiots is a good way to (insert 4 letter word here) people off on this Forum. We can all have an informed discussion and may not agree with each other, but that what a Forum is all about, everyone has a different opinion. I, like most, always do my due diligence when buying something of value. Some people don't, they walk into a store or online and buy what they see in front of them, we are all different.

Please don't attack others of their purchase, that is entirely their decision. Why buy Nike when you can get Dunlop Volley, they do the same thing right?

Last edited by gossy; 01-09-2020 at 12:27 AM.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2020, 02:00 AM   #38
Schtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
My Optima Red Top will only charge properly with the C-Tek drip charger. It's a little champ and the Red Top is still going after 12 years on a car that gets driven monthly!
I wrote 3 replies to this thread, and didn't hit send.

This time, I have to though.

Just to get this out on the table first, I work in a battery shop. We have 7 battery chargers to choose from, and only 4 rules.

#1; Connect the battery, then connect the mains. The newer chargers won't spark, but it's still a good habit to get into.

#2; Never, ever, EVER connect the Ctek to an Optima.

#3; No chargers to be operating when there's nobody around to check on them.

#4; Refer to rule 2, in case you missed it.

I don't know if they have changed how they work, but we've all been told about Optima batteries going 'pop' hanging off a Ctek, and in the same conversation also been told that Ctek has been aware of it for some time and one of their engineers said straight out they weren't planning to do anything about it. Maybe they have, but it was a pretty poor attitude. Honest though, I'll give them that...

That said, Ctek is popular and on regular batteries it's one of my own go-to chargers because it does a very nice job. We've got a 10A version because we don't have all day.

Having a choice of chargers at prices you can't get, I recently bought a Victron 10A.

I won't stop you buying whatever charger you really want, but if you'll listen I'll tell you to buy a Victron. Money where your mouth is and whatnot...

While we're here, I'm quite sure that many folks have charged their Optima batteries with great success on Ctek chargers, and will continue to do so in the future. We've heard of a lot of things that work great contrary to what we have seen and know, but that doesn't mean we'll also do it or condone it.

And with that in mind, I'd encourage you to please not charge Optima with a Ctek. If you have to, monitor the battery closely and often for temperature and if it gets warm, disconnect it. If it starts gurgling, disconnect it, take it outside and leave it there until it cools down.

(And even this goes against advice I've said many times. You get over 8 years out of a battery, keep doing whatever you're doing.)

Hint; it's got everything to do with the spiral wound plates. On regular flat plate AGM batteries, no known issues.

Don't want to slay anyone's sacred cow, but also don't want to see any funeral pyres for lack of saying something.

Stu.

(Franco, I've seen that on an Optima too. Didn't fall off, but didn't need much persuasion either. Kept the terminal, sent the rest of the battery to recycling.)
Schtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2020, 03:50 AM   #39
gooseneck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy View Post
Please don't attack others of their purchase, that is entirely their decision. Why buy Nike when you can get Dunlop Volley, they do the same thing right?
Sounds good. I wasn't. Was just trying to save people some money and I got told that I'm making it compulsory. German style.

Remember it wasn't me demanding that anyone buy a Victron until someone said the word compulsory in this post:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...6&postcount=14

It wasn't after that post until I got uptite. Because I thought we lived in a linear time based universe.

So technically you're wrong. But I'll go along with your delusional mind to save causing any more trouble.

Quote:
Sorry for calling everyone idiots. Sorry for requesting a blood and skull throne.

Just Sorry.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:45 AM   #40
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Another member here said that I reckon Victron is the best. Not necessarily, they are a good substitute in this situation only. I wouldn't buy one of their inverters again without replacing the electrolytic capacitors inside with long life types. The ones inside my 12v/300 inverter are 1,000 hour type, the only reason why I haven't replaced them yet is because its difficult to impossible to get longer life capacitors in the exact size that it needs at least thats what I think was my conclusion the last time I was looking with it open on the bench. It could actually be a deliberate design flaw and 'planned obsolescence'.

I actually own a SunStar charge controller and for portable QRP Operation I designed and fabricated my own PCBs to make a charge controller that is 100% radio silent so I could still operate while charging without any radio noise on the shortwave bands.

Do you really feel this is the case with my posts? The last guy to criticize my post blew it out of the water too.

Did I say it was?

Bit patronizing would be my opinion of this post......
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2020, 10:12 AM   #41
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Did I say it was?

My goodness, whinging that people say your mean and nasty, but you can buy whatever you want, but you are an idiot if you buy a Ctek. Contradicting yourself all day long.

A side note, I bought a Repco charger, 8A several stage $120 pre COVID. Was on special. Been great for my Focus when I put it on every now and then. Looked at reviews seem to be alright and good value. Didn’t stop my battery at the time from dying anyway, but will hopefully help pro long the life of my new battery.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:03 AM   #42
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Sounds good. I wasn't. Was just trying to save people some money and I got told that I'm making it compulsory. German style.

Remember it wasn't me demanding that anyone buy a Victron until someone said the word compulsory in this post:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...6&postcount=14

It wasn't after that post until I got uptite. Because I thought we lived in a linear time based universe.

So technically you're wrong. But I'll go along with your delusional mind to save causing any more trouble.

Sorry for calling everyone idiots. Sorry for requesting a blood and skull throne.

Just Sorry.
This is not the first time you've abused other posters for not agreeing with you. If it continues you'll have time off to reconsider your posting style.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:09 PM   #43
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
I wrote 3 replies to this thread, and didn't hit send.

This time, I have to though.

Just to get this out on the table first, I work in a battery shop. We have 7 battery chargers to choose from, and only 4 rules.

#1; Connect the battery, then connect the mains. The newer chargers won't spark, but it's still a good habit to get into.

#2; Never, ever, EVER connect the Ctek to an Optima.

#3; No chargers to be operating when there's nobody around to check on them.

#4; Refer to rule 2, in case you missed it.

I don't know if they have changed how they work, but we've all been told about Optima batteries going 'pop' hanging off a Ctek, and in the same conversation also been told that Ctek has been aware of it for some time and one of their engineers said straight out they weren't planning to do anything about it. Maybe they have, but it was a pretty poor attitude. Honest though, I'll give them that...

That said, Ctek is popular and on regular batteries it's one of my own go-to chargers because it does a very nice job. We've got a 10A version because we don't have all day.

Having a choice of chargers at prices you can't get, I recently bought a Victron 10A.

I won't stop you buying whatever charger you really want, but if you'll listen I'll tell you to buy a Victron. Money where your mouth is and whatnot...

While we're here, I'm quite sure that many folks have charged their Optima batteries with great success on Ctek chargers, and will continue to do so in the future. We've heard of a lot of things that work great contrary to what we have seen and know, but that doesn't mean we'll also do it or condone it.

And with that in mind, I'd encourage you to please not charge Optima with a Ctek. If you have to, monitor the battery closely and often for temperature and if it gets warm, disconnect it. If it starts gurgling, disconnect it, take it outside and leave it there until it cools down.

(And even this goes against advice I've said many times. You get over 8 years out of a battery, keep doing whatever you're doing.)

Hint; it's got everything to do with the spiral wound plates. On regular flat plate AGM batteries, no known issues.

Don't want to slay anyone's sacred cow, but also don't want to see any funeral pyres for lack of saying something.

Stu.

(Franco, I've seen that on an Optima too. Didn't fall off, but didn't need much persuasion either. Kept the terminal, sent the rest of the battery to recycling.)
As someone who doesn't know much about AGM can you link some references to the "Ctek make Optima's blow up statement"?

I check both the Ctek and Optima websites and cannot find anything. Also a wider search had lots of retailers recommending Ctek for AGM batteries.

So I am a little confused. You say it's widely known in the industry not to use ctek but I cannot find any references??
Old 01-09-2020, 12:48 PM   #44
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:

Cheers, I did. I plug it in, it charges stuff.

Winner.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2020, 03:34 PM   #45
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
As someone who doesn't know much about AGM can you link some references to the "Ctek make Optima's blow up statement"?

I check both the Ctek and Optima websites and cannot find anything. Also a wider search had lots of retailers recommending Ctek for AGM batteries.

So I am a little confused. You say it's widely known in the industry not to use ctek but I cannot find any references??
Some useful info here :
https://thebatterybase.com.au/how-to...ttery-charger/

One of things I found with charging my old BLUE TOP Optima was never to charge when battery was hot. ( really hot ambient temps or when car had been in use and under bonnet temps and battery were hot ) I had been charging my OPTIMA Blue TOP with my C-Tek MXS 5.0 for @ 7 years without issue. Ideally the MXS 10 would have been a better option , but the 5.0 seemed to do OK and my optima battery was going strong 7 years after purchase.

There are so many variables with these things that it really does come down to personal experience, follow the instructions, use equipment fit for purpose and regular maintenance. Just because your mates dog's cousins friend of a friend twice removed from your sister's husband's bother's mate down at the pub used xxxx charger on xxxx battery on xxxx day of the week doesn't always translate to industry standard... just sayin.

Stay safe and keep calm everyone....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2020, 04:52 PM   #46
gooseneck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
This is not the first time you've abused other posters for not agreeing with you. If it continues you'll have time off to reconsider your posting style.
Could you please PM me with examples? You know because discussing it here would be offtopic and that would be me walking straight into a banhammer.

I just went through my past post history and it looks pretty clean to me.

UNLESS of course you're picking examples from the Covid-19 thread where stuff like this post goes on:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...postcount=4796

To you know make me look bad?

Should also note that I've been attacked multiple times on various subjects:
Quote:
I'm just looking to help people. Genuinely helpful and nice person (when not abused or intimidated).

I can't see how a plug for Vitamin D would in any way make me any money
I'm quoting myself here because you know apparently I'm not allowed to quote other people. Got told that by a moderator, was a nice guy.

Last edited by gooseneck; 01-09-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:04 PM   #47
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

ROFL, I needed a laugh this arvo this thread just "gave" alot over battery chargers.
Carry on.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2020, 05:33 PM   #48
Schtoo

Quote:

Actually, it's not widely known or at least, not widely mentioned. Being 'in' the industry and knowing how much marketing BS gets thrown around (where I work is not at all immune) I'd bet that the issue isn't common enough to be overly concerning to most and that Ctek has an otherwise good reputation for reliability which translates into easy $$$.

(On that score, we're lucky that we sell some of the best batteries going. And yet, we often get requests for batteries we know aren't all that great. Because of the prevalent BS flying around, it does make it difficult to cut through that BS at times, to a point we often can't and end up sending a very happy customer on their way who got what they wanted, but didn't really get what they needed...)

I had one bad experience early on with a red top on the Ctek, got told about 'the problem' by a couple folks at work I trust, including the fellow who asked the Ctek engineer and got the answer I previously mentioned.

(We've got insurance for that kind of thing, we'd rather not have to use it.)

It's enough that we all ask what you're planning to charge when you mention a Ctek charger, and steer you away if you mention an Optima. We actually ask what you'll be charging because we want to make sure you get the charger that's going to work best for you. We do have Ctek because people do ask for them and they are still a very good charger in most cases.

Also note that I specifically mentioned Ctek and Optima, not Ctek with AGM batteries. An Optima is an AGM battery, but an AGM battery is not necessarily an Optima. Nothing to do with AGM batteries, a lot to do with Optima being spiral wound and being unable to reject excess energy (heat, either generated during use or added from service environment) that builds up in them. Heck, AGM batteries have heat rejection issues as it is, Optima compounds it by their design which incidentally makes them more resilient against vibration. It giveth and it taketh away.

(There are other cases where an Optima is not an option. Second battery under the bonnet on a Nissan Patrol? You might not find references for that either, doesn't prevent it being a real problem.)

As I wrote, you're welcome to do whatever you wish to do and completely disregard what I wrote. If you're getting great results with whatever you're doing, who am I to suggest otherwise? What the heck do I know?

Kind of wish I'd not written anything to be honest. Good luck, whichever way you go.

Stu.
Schtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2020, 05:33 PM   #49
nstg8a

Who would have thought chargers would be such a polarising issue....

Who’s game enough for a tyre thread?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2020, 06:14 PM   #50
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Who would have thought chargers would be such a polarising issue....

Who’s game enough for a tyre thread?
Brilliant idea bring it on.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:15 PM   #51
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
Actually, it's not widely known or at least, not widely mentioned. Being 'in' the industry and knowing how much marketing BS gets thrown around (where I work is not at all immune) I'd bet that the issue isn't common enough to be overly concerning to most and that Ctek has an otherwise good reputation for reliability which translates into easy $$$.

(On that score, we're lucky that we sell some of the best batteries going. And yet, we often get requests for batteries we know aren't all that great. Because of the prevalent BS flying around, it does make it difficult to cut through that BS at times, to a point we often can't and end up sending a very happy customer on their way who got what they wanted, but didn't really get what they needed...)

I had one bad experience early on with a red top on the Ctek, got told about 'the problem' by a couple folks at work I trust, including the fellow who asked the Ctek engineer and got the answer I previously mentioned.

(We've got insurance for that kind of thing, we'd rather not have to use it.)

It's enough that we all ask what you're planning to charge when you mention a Ctek charger, and steer you away if you mention an Optima. We actually ask what you'll be charging because we want to make sure you get the charger that's going to work best for you. We do have Ctek because people do ask for them and they are still a very good charger in most cases.

Also note that I specifically mentioned Ctek and Optima, not Ctek with AGM batteries. An Optima is an AGM battery, but an AGM battery is not necessarily an Optima. Nothing to do with AGM batteries, a lot to do with Optima being spiral wound and being unable to reject excess energy (heat, either generated during use or added from service environment) that builds up in them. Heck, AGM batteries have heat rejection issues as it is, Optima compounds it by their design which incidentally makes them more resilient against vibration. It giveth and it taketh away.

(There are other cases where an Optima is not an option. Second battery under the bonnet on a Nissan Patrol? You might not find references for that either, doesn't prevent it being a real problem.)

As I wrote, you're welcome to do whatever you wish to do and completely disregard what I wrote. If you're getting great results with whatever you're doing, who am I to suggest otherwise? What the heck do I know?

Kind of wish I'd not written anything to be honest. Good luck, whichever way you go.

Stu.

It might appear that I am having a go at you but I want to make a point I suppose. I work in an unrelated field but for a vendor. I have spent so much of my time dispelling FUD coming from people who were told something about our product some time ago... and it must be true because that person they worked with was smart. They then repeat this and it becomes legend.

You may have a lot of experience with batteries... I really don't know. But you did put yourself out as an expert in your earlier post and followed it up with the statement about never connecting a ctek to an optima.

So now people reading though this thread will associate your comments as an expert with never to use a Ctek with an optima.

An expert can and should be able to back that sort of statement up with some hard data not just the say-so of something that was told to them some time ago.

I did spend a bit of time on the Optima website reading about parameters for operation and charging and I am pretty convinced that as long as you adhere to those rules then you will be fine.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:24 PM   #52
HIPO
Al

No dramas for me with the c-tek on my ol Red Top!
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2020, 09:17 PM   #53
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
It might appear that I am having a go at you but I want to make a point I suppose. I work in an unrelated field but for a vendor. I have spent so much of my time dispelling FUD coming from people who were told something about our product some time ago... and it must be true because that person they worked with was smart. They then repeat this and it becomes legend.

You may have a lot of experience with batteries... I really don't know. But you did put yourself out as an expert in your earlier post and followed it up with the statement about never connecting a ctek to an optima.

So now people reading though this thread will associate your comments as an expert with never to use a Ctek with an optima.

An expert can and should be able to back that sort of statement up with some hard data not just the say-so of something that was told to them some time ago.

I did spend a bit of time on the Optima website reading about parameters for operation and charging and I am pretty convinced that as long as you adhere to those rules then you will be fine.
Note that temperatures over 51 degrees keep getting raised under charging on Optima's website but then there's suddenly no charging limitations for alternator charging regarding temperatures - why do you think that could be?
Old 01-09-2020, 09:44 PM   #54
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

C Tek, , always brings out the best and worst in people here for some strange reason.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:01 PM   #55
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Pink donuts all round, don’t forget the apple cakes and never connect a C-Tek to a trolley jack. Possibly don’t drink the tea at a Russian airport either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lennon
I would like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we’ve passed the audition.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2020, 10:11 PM   #56
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Note that temperatures over 51 degrees keep getting raised under charging on Optima's website but then there's suddenly no charging limitations for alternator charging regarding temperatures - why do you think that could be?
I don’t know. You tell me. They do state that the alternator is only for maintenance charging and not to charge a flat battery with the alternator
Old 01-09-2020, 11:37 PM   #57
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I don’t know. You tell me. They do state that the alternator is only for maintenance charging and not to charge a flat battery with the alternator
Its because their charge rate effectively halves at over 60 degrees C and above 80 degrees it barely charges at all.

Doesn't take much to get to 80 degrees C ambient temperature in an engine bay and the battery won't be too far behind those temperatures.

If they made that public knowledge on their website you probably wouldn't buy one and put it in your engine bay.

REDARC has some information on this - not specifically pointing to the Optima but talking about 'some' AGM batteries and heat:

https://www.redarc.com.au/blog/how-t...20their%20life

OEM either insulate AGM batteries mounted in engine bays or they're just not put in engine bays, check out the case on AGM batteries advertised as under bonnet safe and check warranties.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 01-09-2020 at 11:58 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2020, 12:44 AM   #58
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Had my Harley permanently plugged into an Oxford tender when bike was sitting idle...
Never an issue...
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/oxford-oximiser-900
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2020, 01:27 AM   #59
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I keep all my bikes and cars on float with projecta chargers. I have 6 x 900mA. 5 x 1600mA. And my fast charger 25A. This charger has brought so may dead and flat batteries back to life. Worth the ,$450. C tek are probably good but how much do i have to spend to buy 12 chargers

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2020, 05:51 AM   #60
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Its because their charge rate effectively halves at over 60 degrees C and above 80 degrees it barely charges at all.

Doesn't take much to get to 80 degrees C ambient temperature in an engine bay and the battery won't be too far behind those temperatures.

If they made that public knowledge on their website you probably wouldn't buy one and put it in your engine bay.

REDARC has some information on this - not specifically pointing to the Optima but talking about 'some' AGM batteries and heat:

https://www.redarc.com.au/blog/how-t...20their%20life

OEM either insulate AGM batteries mounted in engine bays or they're just not put in engine bays, check out the case on AGM batteries advertised as under bonnet safe and check warranties.
Great info. What does that have to do with my post ?