Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-10-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default DIY camper trailer thread

Hi, im looking at buying a cheap 6x4 boxed trailer to convert into a camping trailer. I have a rooftop tent on the ute which id transfer to the trailer. Ideally id like to include some power inc. fridge, a sink and water w/ pump and storage for tubs and maybe tools. We use a baby Q for cooking purposes. Just looking for ideas and see what others have done.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2020, 07:39 PM   #2
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: DIY camper trailer thread

I considered this same project before i bought my camper although i planned to use the chassis from an old caravan as it had brakes fitted and a water tank underfloor.
The plan was to lay light checkerplate etc. down over the chassis, then build a light frame above it high enough to take a set of drawers like you get from kings with built in fridge slide to keep all your dinnerware, cooking utensils, sauces etc. and cleaning gear.
This id planned to have at the rear so i could access it from the annex of rooftop tent, i then planned another slide across the front forward of the wheel arches opening on passenger side for a sink and bench for cooker.
Ive got an Arkpak with 135ah AGM battery which id planned to put in and power it up, a gas bottle holder on left rear with bottle and plumbed to a fitting near the front slide, toolbox at front, rooftop tent and an awning off the side for shelter, access for some storage tubs and then box the rest in with sheet metal.
I had a retired metal fabricator with his own home workshop planned to assist where necessary but then i bought my camper and it never got off the ground.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
hayseed

i bought a Ex Bus Luggage trailer on Ebay Similar to This..

https://www.holidaytrailers.com.au/luggage-trailer/

Mounted 250 Watt solar cell on the Roof, with a Controller & Inverter mounted in Toolbox. Big Fridge mounted on the Hitch, Gas bottle holder & 2 jerrycan Holders Plus a Foldout Cloths line on 1 Side.

It's in the Corner of the Shed behind a Boat & other crap at the Moment other wise I'd take pic or 2 for you..

It's far more weatherproof than a Box trailer with a Cage & Tarp IMHO

Last edited by hayseed; 19-10-2020 at 08:30 PM. Reason: typo
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
It's far more weatherproof than a Box trailer with a Cage & Tarp IMHO
Trailer I have access to is sheet metal not caged. Has side door and rear door access, tailgate appears welded shut. I don't weld although I cant see any rust. It does have rubber mat siliconed to the roof, and I think between some other metal joins im assuming was done to keep noise down or protect whatever it was carrying. 1" square frame on top for strapping and carrying.

This would be done on a budget because we are considering buying a caravan at some point so may not even eventuate. But if I can do it cheap enough might be a nice little project.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2020, 09:16 PM   #5
PetesV8
Starter Motor

Go to myswag.org, hundreds of self built camper threads
PetesV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post