Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
Leeroy
Leeroy

Default AU II loosing all power on hot days.

Got a strange problem on hot days where the temperature gets above 30. ill be driving my AU II ute about 15 - 20 mins and then the car will just shut off. first i thought the engine had overheated but the temperature gauge sits between the "n" and the "o" on normal like it has since the day i got it. checked my fluids, oil ok, radiator full. If i pop the bonnet and let the engine bay cool for about 5 mins the car will start again but it will shut off again 1 - 2 km down the road. this only happens on hot days over 30'C. I think it must be something electronic overheating. I changed the coil pack but still the same problem. anyone know/had this problem or know the fix for it. im stumped.

Leeroy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is ur thermos fans working properly

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

my first guess was going to be the coil as that's what caused us to sit on the highway for 5 hours in the sweltering January heat as there was a major acco not 500m away :(

Could always take it down to a mechanic and have them hook it up to their fancy little machine, pretty damn handy tool too, if only I could get my hands on one =P
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is your limo on gas?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Number 2 son has a similar problem (AU SR 3) I have been chasing for 2 years soon as it gets hot you put your foot down and it stops dead, if you ease into it it just coughs and splutters then comes good : I think its evil and is trying to screw with me : We have done fuel filter, leads, plugs. coil pack, throttle body clean,had 3 workshops look at it, scanned it, dynoed it, sworn at it, and it still does it. So if you stumble on to the secret let me know

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
Leeroy
Leeroy

Its on petrol. Im not actually sure if the thermo fans are working or not? do i just run the car for a period of time to get the thermos to kick in? failing that i think ill just take it to my local ford dealer.
Old 30-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
Leeroy
Leeroy

great looks like im in for some fun.... if i find the cure ill let you know. my brother is a mechanic and he is telling me to move the coil pack cause its strapped to the engine block, could be heating up the coil. ill give this a shot as well.
Old 30-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Well leeroy move the coilpack all you like, but i looked after a fleet of AU cabs that would go all day every day being strapped, never turned off and never had this issue even through brisbane heatwaves, which im pretty sure will see things a little warmer than some melbourne half-summer

also
fuel pump?
Old 30-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bad earths maybe? these cars are starting to get some age behind them now, so it may be worth making sure the earth strap from the battery to the block and battery to body are clean and tight...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
Leeroy
Leeroy

ok so no moving coil, will check the earths and thermo.
Old 30-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Number 2 son has a similar problem (AU SR 3) I have been chasing for 2 years soon as it gets hot you put your foot down and it stops dead, if you ease into it it just coughs and splutters then comes good : I think its evil and is trying to screw with me : We have done fuel filter, leads, plugs. coil pack, throttle body clean,had 3 workshops look at it, scanned it, dynoed it, sworn at it, and it still does it. So if you stumble on to the secret let me know
Thermostat working?
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Check fuel pump
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #13
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Check fuel pump
Yah
the au's don't have great fuel pumps
Old 01-12-2009, 03:05 AM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a mates car did something similar , , but it was intermittent sometimes it would go ok for a couple of weeks then out of the blue it would just play up when hot, it turned out to have a dual problem , one was a bad earth and the other was a blocked catalytic convertor which would run ok while cold but would block up when hot only for some reason, after replaceing everything that could be replaced over a 2 year period trying to find the problem(except for the cat) , some many times over the main culprit was the cat, not saying this is your problem at all, but if all else is tryed and tested ok, its 1 more option to check.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #15
Leeroy
Leeroy

PROBLEM SOLVED! Had a good tip from a guy who works at RACV roadside. He mentioned that he get lots of call outs for fuel vaporizing on hot days. So i looked under the bonnet and followed the fuel lines back from where they connect to the fuel rail and found that they are resting against the radiator hoses that go through the fire wall for about 10cm. I just got some foam car wash sponges and wedged them between them for some insulation. Today was the first hot day to test it out and it worked! the fuel must have been vaporizing in the lines from getting so hot and resulting in no fuel pressure. Thanks all for the help.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done Leeroy.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #17
Leeroy
Leeroy

F@rk!!!! today it hit 43 in Melbourne the driest god damn day ever... and it happened again..... Guess i got ahead of myself. im changing the fuel pump on Wednesday. Im so pi55ed off, 2.5 hours to get home on a trip that normally takes 20 mins....
Old 11-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #18
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I feel your pain mate, least I haven,t had a call from #2 son yet and on the bright side you have a "How to thread" and the pumps are only $60 delivered

Quote:
Old 11-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #19
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Sorry lost the link before the edit went off so here it is if you like
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-AU-I-III...d#ht_683wt_734
Old 11-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #20
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 
Default Whoosha has it!

Hi Leeroy.

I too had a similar problem as I posted on Whoosha's last 'how to change a fuel pump' post. In the end, it was not even heat relatated. My fuel pump was self disintigrating, filling my fuel filter with black crap (rubber I assume).

Have you noticed it is worse with less than half a tank of fuel? The pump from my limited knowledge relies on fuel in the tank to help keep it cool. I could replicate my surge every time with a quarter of a tank or less.

Change your fuel pump and filter. Good luck with it.

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #21
T1TS50#04
XR 67 IS HEAVEN

hi there for two 2 years ive been trying to find the same problem with my TS and here goes.i went to sydney at xmas and 250 ks out side of sydney 39 degress ban shut down,thought it was crap fuel from albury cruised to next town filled up and made it to sydney.rang a mate had a chat and he mentioned the fuel cap as the AU"s breeth thru them .got one in sydney bang problem fixed ,2 years of ford saying we cant find the problem.the tank will expand and starve the rails and at the end no fuel gets thru.hope this helps cheers kenny g......
T1TS50#04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #22
T1TS50#04
XR 67 IS HEAVEN

any news have you sorted the problem....
Old 17-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #23
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Not sure about Leeroy but #2 came for a visit with his and it is running like a charm again ploughed through the 40 c and 35 days last week with not a hint of surge or a miss fire so i have my fingers crossed :
on another note I never did get the $60 off him :

Quote:
Old 21-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #24
Leeroy
Leeroy

ill be changing fuel pump and filter this weekend didnt get round to it last week, so ill let you know how i go. fingers crossed. once again thanks for the help guys.
Old 21-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #25
T1TS50#04
XR 67 IS HEAVEN

i did the same pump,filter injector clean and in the end $22 fuel cap i wish i had done the cap first its the cheapest start point .on a hot day if you take the cap off and it stalls or the tank has a lot of pressure its the cap.looking forward to seeing what the problem is i know its frustraiting, took me 2 years to find the problem as it doesnt happen when you want it to.
Old 24-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #26
SA-AUII-MAX
true blue

Also consider the fuel relay, had similar problems with a Porsche before
SA-AUII-MAX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #27
Leeroy
Leeroy

Default Re: AU II loosing all power on hot days.

it was the fuel pump. worked all summer after it was changed. thanks all.