Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Cadge

Default Window Glue?

Hey guys,

Have a power window issue. where my window wont go up or down.

Have pulled off the interior door panel and can see that the actual arm is going up and down when i press the button, but it has come seperated from the glass. Anyone know of a type of glue i can use to glue the arm couplings back to the glass?

Cheers.

Old 16-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Window Glue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadge
Hey guys,

Have a power window issue. where my window wont go up or down.

Have pulled off the interior door panel and can see that the actual arm is going up and down when i press the button, but it has come seperated from the glass. Anyone know of a type of glue i can use to glue the arm couplings back to the glass?

Cheers.
Car model would help , normally there is a "slider" on the bottom of the windo to which the arm fixes , can you see such a thing on the windows bottom ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Cadge

Sorry, AU S1 Fairmont,

Yeah i can see the sliders, thats what i meant by couplings... They are still attatched the arm, and the window has nothing on it.
Old 16-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

the plastic clips on the piece that attatch to the glass are available new from ford im pretty sure, same as ba? i think they are about $15 ea

number 5 in the top pic
http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...article&id=180

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
Cadge

yeah there are the clips... But the clips arnt broken, the glue that holds them together has just come appart/broken etc, so the window just slides out of them. Unless when you buy the clips from ford, it comes with the glue, im just after the glue to glue to window back to the clips
Old 16-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

im pretty sure the weren't glued from the factory?
the brand new clips dont come with it, not with any i have bought
if they have come apart a few times they stretch, the plastic get brittle after a few years and they do break
maybe someone has repaired yours before?

windscreen urethane or just plain urethane will do the job, bunnings sell it in a cartridge for about $25
some of the auto parts shop may have it in a smaller tube

when you get it all back together,
make sure you spray some silicon spay in the window chanels at the front and back of the glass
this way the glass wont get stuck on the way up or down and make the clips break or put stress on the electric motor and plastic window runner guides too

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

Last edited by my67xr; 16-08-2011 at 02:50 PM.
my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up Re: Window Glue?

Sikaflex 255 extra is what I used for exactly the same problem on my wagon. Worked a treat.

Got it from Bunnings.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
Cadge

Thanks guys
Old 16-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
TK-421

I had this problem when i purchased my car, both back windows seperated from the mechanisms. I removed the glass and gave them a clean up, used new plastic clips from Ford and a good quality clear sealant. Also allowed a few days for the sealant to set.

Once you do the repair it is good practice to keep the runners lubricated with a silicone spray to ensure the windows slide freely in the rubbers.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gk is right sikaflex 255 its strong stuff but takes time to set
david lee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
Cadge

Yeah ive been without a window going down for about a year now... was just really disspointed the other day when adelaide actually got a blue sunny day at about 25 c... and i coudlnt wind the window down... so i thought i should probably get on it..