Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Cúl-Báire

Default AU XR8 What to Look For???

Hi Guys,

I haven't been on the Ford scene all that long having just recently purchased a BA XR6; now after selling my V8 Commodore we are in the market for a second car. I have had my eye on a few AU XR8's (I think the lure of the V8 is just drawing me in more than anything else).

Obviously I have my own prerequisits, like good service history combined with as low km's as possible and something that is nice and tidy (for the right price of course)...

But not really knowing much about AU's and the Ford V8's is there anything I should look out for when shopping around? Any help to steer me in the right direction (or steer me away from the wrong direction) would be appreciated.

Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 
Default Re: AU XR8 What to Look For???

Some great buys out there at the moment

The series 3 is the pick of the litter

How much do you want to spend?
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The AU V8s are pretty reliable beasts when maintained properly. Suggest you go for a series 2or3 220 kw car. Watch out for coolant leaks from the timing cover.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
T3man
Banned

Excellent choice - just make sure it has a 220kW motor LOL.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

The main thing is make sure you look for a series 2 or 3.
The 3 is best, with 2 only a frag behind.
The series 1 is a long way behind, which by searching the forums all will be revealed.

Apart from that, just go for the lowest k's possible and look for normal things that you'd do when buying any second hand car.

They are very very good machines.
Old 20-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
T3man
Banned

Actually I know this car and can vouch for it unreservedly ...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11316767

and, if you can stretch to the dollars (he'll take an offer) it is a better option than an XR8 as it will only appreciate in value over the next few years.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
The main thing is make sure you look for a series 2 or 3.
The 3 is best, with 2 only a frag behind.
The series 1 is a long way behind, which by searching the forums all will be revealed.

Apart from that, just go for the lowest k's possible and look for normal things that you'd do when buying any second hand car.

They are very very good machines.
Are the Series I really that much of a "lame duck" compaired to series II & III?.. I intend on mod'ing the thing with the usual intake, exhaust, cam, headwork, tune, etc... Anyways (it's a hobby). I would have thought it would be much easier to make more significant gains out of the under performing Series I engine (unless I am missing something).
Old 20-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cúl-Báire
Are the Series I really that much of a "lame duck" compaired to series II & III?.. I intend on mod'ing the thing with the usual intake, exhaust, cam, headwork, tune, etc... Anyways (it's a hobby). I would have thought it would be much easier to make more significant gains out of the under performing Series I engine (unless I am missing something).
They're not a lame duck, they're just not as good starting point as the 2/3.
It's not just the engine which has less power, the styling is not a good, the firewall is not as thick (noise), the brakes are smaller, the dash is not styled as well, there's plenty of other small things.
Old 20-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #9
robbyj
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
They're not a lame duck, they're just not as good starting point as the 2/3.
It's not just the engine which has less power, the styling is not a good, the firewall is not as thick (noise), the brakes are smaller, the dash is not styled as well, there's plenty of other small things.
I agree but my series 1.5 dash is the best looking of them all imo (excluding the ghias etc)
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 02:49 AM   #10
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if he is looking at headwork cam and intake i would have thought a s1 would suit better as would be a cheaper startin point. only cost me $200 to do my brake upgrade + disks. maybe im byass but hey im happy with mine S1
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #11
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper8
if he is looking at headwork cam and intake i would have thought a s1 would suit better as would be a cheaper startin point. only cost me $200 to do my brake upgrade + disks. maybe im byass but hey im happy with mine S1
I'm sure you are happy with yours, and I'm sure you're biased, as most of us are.

However, for someone venturing into an AU XR8 for the first time, the series 2/3 is a better starting point, nothing can change that. The extra additions over and above the series one are worth it.
The later series in any model run is almost always the better choice.

As for headwork and cam, it could be argued that he wouldn't need to do it as soon to a series 2/3 because they have a little bit better performance from the start. So the extr cost can be justified like that.
If he gets a series 3, then things like the bigger T/B, engine oil cooler, and other stuff will assist in his power increases.

It's a no brainer really, the series 1 is a good car, the series 2 is better and the series 3 is best.
Old 21-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
It's a no brainer really, the series 1 is a good car, the series 2 is better and the series 3 is best.
This is the simple conclusion of the matter! Nicely said.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

look for one with premium brakes , If you're looking to up the power you'll appreciate them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cúl-Báire
the biggest problem with the S1 is it is hopelessly under braked and as the whole setup is different you can't put later brakes on without changing 1/2 the front end. also you will have a better starting point with the GTP40 heads on the S3 and you will get more out of it without flash tuning as the ECU is setup for bigger power. no you can't put a S3 ECU in a S1 the electrics are different too

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Actually I know this car and can vouch for it unreservedly ...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11316767

and, if you can stretch to the dollars (he'll take an offer) it is a better option than an XR8 as it will only appreciate in value over the next few years.
thats a nice TS , although I personally feel an AU looks better with the quad light XR front I could possibly rethink for a nice specimin like this

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was just sayin is he has stated he already intended on doing heads cam ect . if he can find a S1 for 2 or 2.5G less than a S2 or S3 as i did then thats money he can start his mods straight away. Im looking at a trickflow kit from the states with alloy heads r/rockers, cam, upper & lower manifold ect for $2.5G + deliv & tax (if they wont deliver in 2 parts),with this top end on my motor it should go better than a S3 and in the end i have still spent the same as if i brought a S3. there are a lot of S2 & 3's out there people have put alloy heads on as they flow better than the gt40p so why buy them if your going to ditch them. mine has abs, lsd, irs full electrics as for the body kit well thats just personal taste and can be changed or left. Not tryin to start a fight all im saying is dont rule them out if he is going to modify it like he has said he wants to. The only reason i brought a XR8 is to tow the boat and the wifes horse float (but still cant keep keep things standard) if i didnt need a tow car i would have probably brought a small turbo. just My 2c
Old 21-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #15
Sox
RIP...

I understand what you're saying, but I think you're missing many of the other smaller things which improved with the 2/3.
The extra money is well justified on the later series IMO, and not just because of the engine improvements.
Don't forget the extra money can be partially justified simply due to the age, 98/99, as opposed to 00/02. There can be as much as 4 years between AU's.

And then as already mentioned, the series 3 220kw donk hoots along pretty well, and with as little as a tune and extractors/exhaust some guys have run high 13's, meaning he may not need to spend as much initially on any work to the heads, etc.
Quote:
was just sayin is he has stated he already intended on doing heads cam ect . if he can find a S1 for 2 or 2.5G less than a S2 or S3 as i did then thats money he can start his mods straight away. Im looking at a trickflow kit from the states with alloy heads r/rockers, cam, upper & lower manifold ect for $2.5G + deliv & tax (if they wont deliver in 2 parts),with this top end on my motor it should go better than a S3 and in the end i have still spent the same as if i brought a S3. there are a lot of S2 & 3's out there people have put alloy heads on as they flow better than the gt40p so why buy them if your going to ditch them. mine has abs, lsd, irs full electrics as for the body kit well thats just personal taste and can be changed or left. Not tryin to start a fight all im saying is dont rule them out if he is going to modify it like he has said he wants to. The only reason i brought a XR8 is to tow the boat and the wifes horse float (but still cant keep keep things standard) if i didnt need a tow car i would have probably brought a small turbo. just My 2c
Old 21-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #16
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
. if he can find a S1 for 2 or 2.5G less than a S2 or S3 as i did then thats money he can start his mods straight away.
1/2 that would go just getting the brakes up to a decent standard

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 21-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #17
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Also worn top shock mounts is another issue, happy buying you'll love the AU.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #18
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i put series 2 brakes on mine cost me allup $400 with new rotors (Good wrecker down the road)and a day with the spanners and it stops like my wife's S2. Im just going by that the op has stated what he wants to do and if he changes what he has said he wants to change both S1 & S3 motor would be pritty close to par since the bottom ends are the same i thought minus tune. I can see your point when i was looking mine was on the lot for 10 and it ticked all the box's for me, duel fuel, straight rust free,well looked after,manual i ended up gettin it for 8. Also looked at a couple of S3 but couldnt find many manual duel fuel one's. since then have replaced all the shocks , done the brake upgrade to S2 with slotted and drilled rotors + new bushes and thanks to a few members here changed the mags to 18's, 3" single exhaust and now black chrome taillights. only problem i have had was blowing the impco mixer inhalf when it backfired once (new leads after that). At the end of the day its upto him and will be happy with what ever AU he gets both me and the wife are, they are a nice drive and fun to throw around.
Old 21-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #19
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Did the Series 1 XR8's have the IRS? or were they live axle?

Id definantly pay a touch extra for a Series 2 or 3 XR8 with the 220 engine. Get a series 3 and you get the best looking bodykits as well.

For the smaller diffrence in price, you get to start off with the best gear they had fitted standard, and then you can examine your options for mods as you go.
You might be happy with it straight off the bat. Mines a 220, manual with twin 2.5 exhaust, extractors, ss big mouth cai and k&n panel filter with stock tunes and it does way better than I was ever expecting. (coming down power wise from a Boss 302 GT-P).

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #20
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All XR8 Sedans had IRS Donny. I'd definitely be looking at a 220kw Series 2 with the kit. I just prefer that look over S3 myself. Either way, a 220kw Manual is a great drive!
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #21
Cúl-Báire

Well I've done it... I was in the market for a Sedan, but somehow ended up with a Series II XR8 ute, lowered, mags and exhaust already done.

Pick it up Tuesday after work!
Old 21-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #22
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good one you won't regret not getting an S1 sounds like a nice package. some pics would be great when you get it

Rides:

Old 21-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #23
DW260

Well done that man! And you've already got the mods that most people do straight away. Saves you a bit of coin for other things (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

Make sure you throw up some pics.
FPV GS Ute #370/Brembo brakes
DW260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post