Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Blue Power Racing Developments

Blue Power Racing Developments The home of Blue Power. Website Link

Old 23-11-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
JAZZA315
Banned

Default kene bell power

Whats the most power is one of these kene bell kits capable of making weather it be pump fuel or race fuel. Im looking at fitting one to my cobra but am tossing up between this and a 3.4l whipple, it comes down to which will make the most power & be repeatable as the car gets tracked quite a bit and visits the drag strip on club days. How does the little 2.8L comare to the big whipple when it gives away nearly 1 liter in displacement.

JAZZA315 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZZA315
Whats the most power is one of these kene bell kits capable of making weather it be pump fuel or race fuel. Im looking at fitting one to my cobra but am tossing up between this and a 3.4l whipple, it comes down to which will make the most power & be repeatable as the car gets tracked quite a bit and visits the drag strip on club days. How does the little 2.8L comare to the big whipple when it gives away nearly 1 liter in displacement.
Jazza,

what boost are you looking at running?

Considering the size of the compressors, you would be amazed at how close they are in performance.

Give me a rundown on engine specs right down to engine config and ill try to help as best i can.

Chris

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Jazza,

I spent COUNTLESS hours on the US forums, hovering between the 3.4(3.3) Whipple and the 2.8H KB. The 3.3/3.4 is a big blower, but the biggest problem that I came across is that to make big horsepower with it, you will have to fabricate your own inlet, as well as pick out a throttle body, plumbing, filter, etc to support the amount of airflow that these sized compressors can naturally produce (The standard 3.3/3.4 inlets are too small and really restrict airflow up high). KB (and Bluepower with their local distributorship) produce their own complete inlet system from filter to compressor head that is designed to match the compressors capability. That was enough to win me over, and when you consider the construction, fit and finish of the KB product, its game over. The side benefit of the 2.8 is the ability to "pulley down" the top pulley and run 14-16 psi on the street. The big Whipple is going to be a struggle to get it under 19psi without dropping the lower pulley off and fitting a smaller lower for the street, then refitting the standard lower pulley to hit the track. Yuck.

My money went with the 2.8H KB, and that's my 2c,

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
JAZZA315
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepower
Jazza,

what boost are you looking at running?

Considering the size of the compressors, you would be amazed at how close they are in performance.

Give me a rundown on engine specs right down to engine config and ill try to help as best i can.

Chris
Engine was built by Kostecki here in wa, complete rebuild from ground up including the heads. Not sure of exact specs as i bought it off a guy who had it built and got sacked shortly after, got it cheap in a fire sale along with a 6 speed box.

I had planned on a whipple kit by a local mob but a mate has had dramas with his 3.4 kit so im alittle concerned and am now looking at some options one of the guys i race wth mentioned.

This guy i was speaking with has a yankie engine in his cobra and it makes about 700 at the bags with one of them kene bels, if i can make that or more ill be happy as thats a real wild ride.
Old 24-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
JAZZA315
Banned

Hey Dan how much power you makein with the 2.8 blower, what mods does your engine have.
Old 24-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Hey Dan how much power you makein with the 2.8 blower, what mods does your engine have.
Won't be running until new year, but it is a stock Terminator engine in an AU. Being only 4.6L, it will be pumping 18psi minimum, but it is a weekender only so not an issue. I expect 650-750rwhp with it.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Quote:
Engine was built by Kostecki here in wa, complete rebuild from ground up including the heads. Not sure of exact specs as i bought it off a guy who had it built and got sacked shortly after, got it cheap in a fire sale along with a 6 speed box.

I had planned on a whipple kit by a local mob but a mate has had dramas with his 3.4 kit so im alittle concerned and am now looking at some options one of the guys i race wth mentioned.

This guy i was speaking with has a yankie engine in his cobra and it makes about 700 at the bags with one of them kene bels, if i can make that or more ill be happy as thats a real wild ride.
Jazza,

I'll give you some figures that we have seen from some of our engines.

Ill first assume the engine is a 5.4. As long as the lobe seperation is correct, and many people get it wrong, lets say with 9.0:1 and 14psi you will see 640-650hp @ tyres on 98 octane ULP as a minimum.

with 16psi you will see 680-700hp

These figures we have seen with the baby kit, the 2.6.

We are finalising our 2.8H kit at the moment, but there isn't a Ford PD kit in Australia that has come close to it in terms of output and repeatability.

Hope this helps

Chris

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
JAZZA315
Banned

Correct engine is a boss engine.

So 16 psi will see 700rwhp, how much can these things make. Also if that is your baby how much will the bigger kit make.
Old 26-11-2008, 01:18 AM   #9
AGRO
KB TECH SUPPORT

Quote:
Correct engine is a boss engine.

So 16 psi will see 700rwhp, how much can these things make. Also if that is your baby how much will the bigger kit make.
Jazza.
The 2.8 will make similar power to the 2.6, but will do it easier with less effort.
Because IAT's are lower at these psi outputs, the tunes are less aggressive to that of the 2.6. If going around and beyond 20psi, then the 2.8 will be a better choice.
The power & torque curves from the 2.8 kit are much nicer, but you have to remember it runs a slightly larger rear entry that accomodates the twin 75mm Throttle Body, and much larger inlet tube along with air filter.
Don't be too concerned on the difference between the 2.6 & 2.8 kits, as the 2.6 will exceed more than what your car can handle in street form.
There will be NO benifit going with the 2.8 over the 2.6 for street use.
For serious track work and a lot of it, then the 2.8 will be your weapon of choice.
Hope this helps with your questions.

Regards
AGRO.
-------------------------------------------
Hp & Money...It's Never Enough.
AGRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post