Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Blue Power Racing Developments

Blue Power Racing Developments The home of Blue Power. Website Link

Old 03-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
boss302ute
Starter Motor

Angry extream clutches

[img]https://[/IMG] [IMG]Have you heard any bad reports about extream clutches : as i am replaceing the 3rd one in a few day time

boss302ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
dusty86

driving habits?? I find them better than exedy in my other car, and I used to ahve issues with wearing them out pretty quickly
dusty86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
boss302ute
Starter Motor

this has only done 2000k i had a hd put in and failed parts of the clutch plate let go
and i was getting bad vibes and had taken it out after 600k and found 3 big hot spots on the flywheel and pressure plate ? and put it back in and 1000k later it was un driveable and extream said it wasnt runn in ? they gave me a ceremic one to place in as they asked the rwk of my car was 280rwk they said that it would fix it and now its undriveable as trying to take off its impossible and just waiting for it to rip the box out and break the engin mounts trying to take off as the shudder is that bad
Old 03-12-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss302ute
this has only done 2000k i had a hd put in and failed parts of the clutch plate let go
and i was getting bad vibes and had taken it out after 600k and found 3 big hot spots on the flywheel and pressure plate ? and put it back in and 1000k later it was un driveable and extream said it wasnt runn in ? they gave me a ceremic one to place in as they asked the rwk of my car was 280rwk they said that it would fix it and now its undriveable as trying to take off its impossible and just waiting for it to rip the box out and break the engin mounts trying to take off as the shudder is that bad
Call Textralia.
Peter.

Ph: (02) 9606 9666

Most who drive V8's both Ford and Holdens will swear by them.

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 12:34 AM   #5
punktured

Go straight for a Tex, you wont be disappointed with one
punktured is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 03:56 AM   #6
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss302ute
I had two of those clutch's in my car (both had ceramic discs), first one crapped it self first pass at the strip, clutch disc fussed it self to the flywheel/pressureplate, afterwards had cronic vibrations from the bits of ceramic stuck to the flywheel, second one did the same thing, ended up driving around with it for a little while, found it to be a quiet harsh clutch.
I worked out that they dont like alot of heat onto them when the clutch was cold, I use to have to ride the clutch a little bit before my first pass otherwise on the launch it would crap it self first pass of the day. Bacically found them to be total crap, didnt have a good experience with them at all.

Now have a Textralia twin plate, been fine for a while now, you be sweet with one of there single plates.

If I was you I would give Peter a call from Textralia good guy and will look after you.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 04:45 AM   #7
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I had the misfortune of owning an Xtreme brand clutch in my last Turbo. Lasted about 4 months and 1.5 runs on the qtr mile.......Was terrible to drive with. I did go a Tex twin plate, awesome to drive, but the noise when engaged was quite frankly unacceptable. I do believe they are quite good in the single plate set up for the V8s though, so you should be fine.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
I had the misfortune of owning an Xtreme brand clutch in my last Turbo. Lasted about 4 months and 1.5 runs on the qtr mile.......Was terrible to drive with. I did go a Tex twin plate, awesome to drive, but the noise when engaged was quite frankly unacceptable. I do believe they are quite good in the single plate set up for the V8s though, so you should be fine.
Same here we had one in the N/A and although it didn't crap itself it was difficult to drive, very on/off and that was just the organic plate! I can only imagine how difficult the ceramic one would have been. We then got the twin plate Tex same as you, and like you found it brilliant to drive but the rattle of the intermediate flywheel to be very annoying.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #9
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

We dont use nor recommend extreme clutches.

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Same here we had one in the N/A and although it didn't crap itself it was difficult to drive, very on/off and that was just the organic plate! I can only imagine how difficult the ceramic one would have been. We then got the twin plate Tex same as you, and like you found it brilliant to drive but the rattle of the intermediate flywheel to be very annoying.
I stalled it a few times, Craig stalled it, bloody nearly everyone who drove with the ceramic Xtreme clutch stalled it.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Yes that rattle gets very anoying at times but hey the amount of clutch's Ive had issues with this one has not missed a beat for about 5 times longer than all of the last ones put together, do 4-500ks a week on it in Sydney traffic.

Ive tried a few of Tex's single plates, great clutch.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #12
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Hi guys, genuine question - exactly what has failed on the stock clutch set up?

Reason I ask, I ran the stock set up in my BA for over 120k, done maybe 250 laps of the circuit, and in my current GT, would be very disappointed if it won't last 100k. And it will do as many laps as the XR did, but with a fair bit more power.

I'm just intrigued how you guys kill them. Is it from riding them away from the line, or just pulling burnouts?

cheers

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #13
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I know when dad replaced his in the Pursuit it was from Clutch slip, wasn't like the thing was free revving after a gear change but once the clutch went in there was a difference..

They Run an Extream in their Pursuit, can't say i like it, they are used to it, but i think after i get a Tex and give them a drive they may change over.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #14
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

My 800hp Tex single plate is getting along nicely. Just a small bit of shudder left after about 1200km. But when you want to just GO she grabs and goes hard. Very nice so far. And no rattle

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #15
boss302ute
Starter Motor

The problem with my standard clutch was that on the strip the first pass it would be great and go to do a second run and just slipped and it wouldnt get any purchace on the run so i decided to get a extream clutch and then even more trouble so peter from Textralia said he will fix their crap
Old 05-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #16
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Peter from Tex is a top bloke, and delivers what he promises. (A nice clutch)

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Old 05-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #17
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83
My 800hp Tex single plate is getting along nicely. Just a small bit of shudder left after about 1200km. But when you want to just GO she grabs and goes hard. Very nice so far. And no rattle

John, what spec did you end up going for?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #18
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:

How do you think it would hold up dropping the clutch with slicks on ?
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2008, 03:05 AM   #19
GT849

Quote:

Dose the shudder go completly with this set up (Tex single plate). Mine seems to be getting better and I seem to be getting smarter with it but it seems like a lot of effort in getting it just right on take of normal driving. Hard work really, When she is cold it takes of like a gem but when the clutch warms up it shudders.
I love the clutch and happy with performance but I don't like that shudder, as I said it does seem to be better. I also notice a loud knock seemingly from the right hand side and I am thinking it is the big fat Difallipo dual tail up over the diff. Needs some fine ajustments to fit it iin better maybe.
GT849 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #20
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Craig use to do 1.6 60ft on slicks with a Tex single plate, many of them, in say that yeh I think they can handle a fair bit.

The best thing with the Tex clutchs is you can ride the clutch off the line without worring about cooking the clutch, they can handle constant back to back passes where others have to cool before runs.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:37 PM   #21
EXR8ED
HO INTERCEPTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I have a Tex Z grip single plate clutch and it held up fine with slicks on launching at 5000+, pass after pass. Was putting down 1.7 60'.

Cheers
Glenn
Body and Visual by HO
My Business GutterGuardGuyAluminium Guttermesh Supply & Installation.
OrsmFordCruisers
R.I.P Wayne Draper
EXR8ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #22
Clint Eastwood
5.4L V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXR8ED
I have a Tex Z grip single plate clutch and it held up fine with slicks on launching at 5000+, pass after pass. Was putting down 1.7 60'.

Cheers
Glenn

I had the same clutch in my car before I swapped to an auto,they are tough as nails, but pricks of things to drive I found.
Clint Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #23
EXR8ED
HO INTERCEPTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood
I had the same clutch in my car before I swapped to an auto,they are tough as nails, but pricks of things to drive I found.
Yeah can be. Once you get use to it there fine and mines been customised to have better manners, but still get shudder every now and then if I don't give it enough revs on take off. Most of the time it's fine though.

Cheers
Glenn
Body and Visual by HO
OrsmFordCruisers
R.I.P Wayne Draper
Old 08-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #24
GT849

Quote:
Yeah can be. Once you get use to it there fine and mines been customised to have better manners, but still get shudder every now and then if I don't give it enough revs on take off. Most of the time it's fine though.

Cheers
Glenn
Guess my earlier question has pretty much been answered, one for you though, what did you do to give it manners.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #25
Clint Eastwood
5.4L V8

Quote:

Cheers
Glenn

Cant really say I ever got use to mine,found it very shuddery and jumpy,but as I said, they are a very strong clutch and can handle hours of prolonged abuse.

I took the easy option and converted to an auto...... :
Clint Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #26
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Mine is a if you dont drive it properly from take off. Sometimes I get slack, she gives me a shudder and I panic and try and give it a few revs. With 400kw I have almost wheel standed onto the boot in front of me.
But I like the clutch, its tough and it does what its meant too. Just some more driver education required.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Old 09-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #27
EXR8ED
HO INTERCEPTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT849
Guess my earlier question has pretty much been answered, one for you though, what did you do to give it manners.
A really good friend who was instrumental in the development of these clutches for Fords gave it manners for me.

Cheers
Glenn
Body and Visual by HO
OrsmFordCruisers
R.I.P Wayne Draper
Old 09-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #28
GT849

Default cltch shudder

Thanks Glen, Have sent you a PM. If its who I think then I hope he can do something for me. its a z grip tex clutch...just reading another thread and someone mentioned an s grip. I like to drive it hard and do like what the z grip gives my drive now but with out the shudder would add a bit more pleasure to driving on the streets.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:53 AM   #29
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

I had an extreme cushioned ceramic in mine but it developed a vibration around three grand and gone by say three and a half. and shudderd till ya fillings fell out on take off.
Got a mate to pull it out, On close inspection looked like the spline was out of wake with the clutch disc, Put it down to the peanuts that fitted it didnt have an alignment tool and forced the gearbox into the disc spline, Anyway's they replaced it foc but just to be on the safe side because of the shudder i got them to give me a high burst organic plate.

So far so good, Have done heaps of runs since. Have also done a few stand start 2nd gear burnouts. Leaving behind two nice black strips half way up the street.

PS, Can anyone tell me why i have to back out the adjustment every few months.
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post