Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #16
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Default Re: Crashes increase when speed limits dip far below engineering recommendation

I don't know why I bother, but I'll bother again.

If you can still find copies online look at the queensland annual reports into road safety. They are the most obvious examples of this because there is less noise in the data.

There was a steady downtrend in road deaths and trauma (hospitalisations) across australia from the late 70's to the 90's. In queensland the bottom was 1998 when Peter Beatie came to power. He introduced speed cameras and sent half the police force out to collect revenue traffic fines.

Traffic speed dropped from 10-20 over the limit to just under. Th decline in road trauma stopped dead, rates rose slightly and plateaued for 12 years until dramatic rises in fuel costs and reinforced passenger cells changed the numbers.

Further examination shows deaths/trauma due to excessive speed did not decrease, but due to inattention rose about 20%. This was late 90's LONG before smart phones, although the nokia effect was already evident.

When people were routinely over the limit they were watching for cops. In the process they automatically did their collision avoidance. Once they were under the limit and "safe" they switched off.

Incidentally when I encounter slow drivers who speed up in passing lanes I make sure I get past quick then slam on the brakes, slow them to about 40 so as many can get past as possible. And no I don't give a rats if I "upset" them. Give me an excuse to physically defend myself, pretty please... When I was young people learned manners with a sharp slap, I'm still a fan..
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post