Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #241
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Anyone got a Black Series Camper? Particularly a Patron model? What are your experiences with them in particular offroad or on corrugations?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2017, 08:36 PM   #242
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Anyone got a Black Series Camper? Particularly a Patron model?
I am not sure about the new ones. The company used to be called GIC and their first lot of campers were cheap and nasty, nothing wrong with that though if you bought with your eyes open. The issue was the aftersales customer service was appalling and it attracted negative comments on the forums. Then GIC got their lawyers involved and sent threatening letters to the forum admins requesting any negative feedback be removed (but allowed positive feedback), as a result any talk of that camper brand was banned on a few forums.

AFAIK they are still the same owners, make of that what you will.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #243
beardo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd been sussing out those Black Series aswell but they seem too cheap. Thanks for the heads up
beardo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2017, 09:53 PM   #244
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I have heard they have their lawyers on speed dial but from what I understand, they have made improvements to their campers like reinforcing the control arms on the suspension. However from reading on forums they are still a cheap Chinese camper and have quality issues like shock absorber failures from new.

I was hoping someone with first hand experience with an updated one might post their experience.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #245
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Anyone got a Black Series Camper? Particularly a Patron model? What are your experiences with them in particular offroad or on corrugations?
My daughter and son-in-law bought one about 12 months ago and to date they have had no issues, they bought the Alpha, I just spoke to him and he reckons value for money he is very happy
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #246
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
I have heard they have their lawyers on speed dial but from what I understand, they have made improvements to their campers like reinforcing the control arms on the suspension. However from reading on forums they are still a cheap Chinese camper and have quality issues like shock absorber failures from new.

I was hoping someone with first hand experience with an updated one might post their experience.
The vast majority of the bases of campers are made in China, there a few obvious that aren't but most are.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #247
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Camping is easy and virtually requires no equipment.

Buy a 40 pack of beer (no fridge required).
Drink as many as you can before they get too hot to drink.
Fall into a coma in the dirt.
Wake up next morning and drive home.
...if you come to Heathcote the bits in bold never happens...so you can pace yourself. In fact on a good night this time of year you'd have the opposite problem and the they'd be close to freezing solid
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #248
prydey
Rob

maiden voyage of our 09 Jayco Swan

Long weekend here in SA (among other states) so we decided to give it a test run at a small little campground we have been to before (at the very start of this thread) in the Naracoorte Caves National Park. We did this because its a great little quiet camp ground that has powered sites in a bush setting, so you can camp in winter and have the luxury of running a heater all day. It also has showers and toilets, water and bbq facilities if required.

The best way to figure out what you need, and what you don't, is to get out there and do it, so we took the opportunity for a quick weekend away.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #249
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Looks good Rob.
The Jayco looks really big behind the Falcon, not that the Falcon would struggle, but it might be an excuse to start shopping for a Ranger next, lol.

Camping is so much easier when all you have to do is hook the accommodation etc. to the back of your bus and away you go, then wind it up for instant home away from home.
If it gets the family out more often its a win in my book.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #250
nstg8a

What's a camper like that worth? WeVe been dithering about something like that or a tent style camper trailer.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #251
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Looks good Rob.
The Jayco looks really big behind the Falcon, not that the Falcon would struggle, but it might be an excuse to start shopping for a Ranger next, lol.
there won't be any shopping for a while. no money left in the kitty. I was really happy with how the falcon handled the weight at the rear. i kept boot empty and with the kids in the back, the guard just sat about tyre level with full fuel and loaded van hooked up. economy was slightly better than expected also, so more than happy to stick with the trusty falcon for now.

Quote:
Camping is so much easier when all you have to do is hook the accommodation etc. to the back of your bus and away you go, then wind it up for instant home away from home.
If it gets the family out more often its a win in my book.
its funny how quickly your mindset changes. i never minded tenting, but there's no way we would have ventured out in winter for a weekend camping in a tent. it was great to be able to cook and eat etc all inside with the heater keeping everything toasty.

I might be a bit weird, but the set up and pack up isn't a chore for me. i almost enjoy it. even on our first go, and taking our time we were packed up within an hour from finishing the brekkie dishes. one of the things we do differently to other friends/rellies who have these vans is actually do it the way jayco recommend to do it on their youtube clip. really happy with it and glad we spent the extra coin to get something in good condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
What's a camper like that worth? WeVe been dithering about something like that or a tent style camper trailer.
it all depends on what you need to suit your situation. there are 5 or 6 configurations of these vans from jayco. Ours is the Swan, which is by far the most popular and is the equal biggest in dimensions with the Flamigo. the flamingo has the most storage but we preferred the layout of the swan. The next one down is the eagle, which is basically the same layout as the swan, but misses out on an extra cupboard, so less storage.

We wanted something newer than 2007 which is when they changed to the smooth sided look.

ours is 09 and cost $18500. its a lot of coin, but when you are out in the bush waking up to the sound of birds and looking out at the kangaroos, you tend to forget about the money side of things, esp when you see your kids out having a great time.
4 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #252
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
ours is 09 and cost $18500. its a lot of coin, but when you are out in the bush waking up to the sound of birds and looking out at the kangaroos, you tend to forget about the money side of things, esp when you see your kids out having a great time.
This^^^ I would love a proper camper like that, or I have always wanted an actual camper you drive around, just pull up anywhere even the side of the road and get in the back. I often see the 'Grey Nomads' out in them and I am jealous each time I see one, as really you could just stop anywhere without any hassle.

I think once I get closer to retiring age I will buy one, have dreamed of driving one around the world since I was about 12 years old, but might start with just around Australia

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2017, 06:20 AM   #253
prydey
Rob

Quote:
If you like bush camping with a bit of comfort for the girls, i cannot recommend Mambray Creek highly enough.

Seriously, its only a 2.5 hour drive north of Adelaide, has excellent camping facilities, plenty to do even for the novice, some of the shorter walks provide the best views. We usually head up in the mid year school holidays when the creek that runs right through the camp ground is flowing.

Roo's, Emu's and these huge goanna things are everywhere and will come over for a look, our kids loved it.

Its only a half hour drive to Pt Pirie or Pt Augusta if you want to get some supplies or to take in some local sites etc.

Do some research, you wont be sorry.

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/par...-national-park

http://www.gocampingaustralia.com/mambray-creek.html

Just digging up some advice from the early days of this thread.

Finally getting around to giving mambray creek a go. Have booked a site for October long weekend. Got to get in early. Already over half full.

Wasn't that keen when we had the tent, but with a van most of the reasons for not going are eliminated (hard ground for pitching tent etc).

Ended up booking site 7, which is fairly close to amenities which may be good or bad, but looks like it has reasonable screening and looks out in to the bush at the back.

Can't wait.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2017, 07:36 AM   #254
Trevor 57
is now there

another man after my own heart, primary focus is the next time to get away - LOL
Old 23-06-2017, 08:10 AM   #255
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lever T View Post
another man after my own heart, primary focus is the next time to get away - LOL
crazy isn't it. no sooner home than looking at where to go next and things to keep you poor while doing it

it doesn't seem to matter how much you spend, there is always extra things that need doing, or things to make it better or easier....
Old 23-06-2017, 08:16 AM   #256
Trevor 57
is now there

There is so much of this country to see
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2017, 11:09 PM   #257
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Spent 6 months cruising or should I say zig zagging up WA coast .. it's a bloody big state .. Aust is hell larger !! Can't wait to get back out here .. Upgraded the solar panels and added another storage battery, 40 amp charger. We be able to stay out free camping for weeks now .. Even on cloudy days ..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #258
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Just digging up some advice from the early days of this thread.

Finally getting around to giving mambray creek a go. Have booked a site for October long weekend. Got to get in early. Already over half full.

Wasn't that keen when we had the tent, but with a van most of the reasons for not going are eliminated (hard ground for pitching tent etc).

Ended up booking site 7, which is fairly close to amenities which may be good or bad, but looks like it has reasonable screening and looks out in to the bush at the back.

Can't wait.
Good choice Rob.
The site you have is a good one, very well set out however you will notice the people coming and going to the amenities block, good for a chat at any time of the day lol.
It may be too warm for the creek to be flowing in October, we went during the end of 3rd term school holidays in 2014 and it was dry but the upside was the abundance of wildlife as opposed to the winter months.
When that first Lace Monitor strolls through ya campsite it will certainly get your undivided attention..
There.s heaps of stuff to see and do at both ends of the park and walking trails are graded on ability and well marked so you can go at your own pace.
A great starter walk and is quite easy is the Davey's Gully Hike, it starts near the campground and winds up around the hills and gullies on the southern side, the view at sunset across the campground below and the vibrant colours that explode across the area is a must see and only takes an hour tops.

You may have already seen this brochure but here it is anyway.
https://natureplaysa.org.au/wp/wp-co...al-Version.pdf

I spent the weekend camping on the lake at Barmera teaching my 12yo how to handle the tinny as he has to sit a practical test to obtain his boat licence.
weather was perfect, not even a breath or wind and there was a strange phenomena occurring where hundreds, maybe even thousands, of Pelicans had converged on Lake Bonney, there were photographers everywhere.
Spoke to a local old fella and he said he was born in Barmera and had never seen it before, was a cool thing to see but they made a mess of the water, plenty of recycled carp..
My Father inlaw came along for the first time since he sold his caravan and came away keen as mustard to buy a tent and tag along more often, we do it simple sometimes, but its a blast.

And a little something I knocked up for Friday nights dinner

Last edited by BENT_8; 25-06-2017 at 09:54 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #259
prydey
Rob

Quote:
You may have already seen this brochure but here it is anyway.
https://natureplaysa.org.au/wp/wp-co...al-Version.pdf
Thanks. I hadn't seen that.
Old 29-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #260
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lever T View Post
well, although we have booked another camp trip in October at Mambray Ck, there is school holidays between now and then, so....

2 weeks time I have booked another weekend at a place about an hour south of me.

3 nights at Wirrina Cove Holiday Park, which quite a popular caravan park, which ordinarily wouldn't suit me, but i discovered they offer a 'bush camping' option with power. Its slightly separate from the main park, in more of a bush environment, so i thought it sounded pretty good, so booked it.

Its a great part of SA (second valley) with some walk trails and great views and wildlife, so looking forward to getting out there again.

haha, this cheap camping is costing me a fortune
Old 29-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #261
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What are you guys using for lighting with your camp set ups? One thing we probably struggled a little with was having a decent camp lantern at our disposal. I deliberately left our gas lantern at home as we were at a powered site and used a desk lamp instead. It was fine for outdoors, or use in the camper trailer, but not at both.

I guess I'm looking to see what sort of battery powered lanterns people use. I have an old Coleman one, but the fluro globe is basically stuffed and doesn't emit much light these days. Looking to probably invest in a replacement one at some stage and wondering what people find good to use?
Old 29-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #262
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Led strips work pretty well and don't draw much power.Would run for a few hours on a car size battery
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #263
Trevor 57
is now there

LED is your friend, the 1000-1200mm long ones are great and draw bugger all power, just remember that cheap doesn't always mean good
Old 29-06-2017, 03:05 PM   #264
Trevor 57
is now there

Treed LOL
Old 29-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #265
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gotta think tents and camper trailer here, so portable lighting is more what I'm after.
Old 29-06-2017, 06:30 PM   #266
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
Gotta think tents and camper trailer here, so portable lighting is more what I'm after.
Yeah, 12v LED portable lighting, like those kits they sell at BCF and Supercheap etc.
Or if you have a camper you can run strip lighting on the internal supports and seal them in clear heat shrink
Its just 4 or 5 rigid bars or strips with fittings and cables to connect it all to the source.

The source can be either a small genset or a portable battery pack like the Arkpak I have or a Thumpster etc. they all do the same thing pretty much.
The generator is ok if you don't frequent national parks as they are a no, no.
The battery pack is an all rounder, however extended stays will require some form of charging be it via your car or with a solar setup as I have.

Having said all that, I just use LED Dolphin torches , the slim ones, with rechargeable batteries, as we like to keep excess light to a minimum around the camp, the fire throws out enough light for most activities.

One day i'll get around to installing the strip lighting in my trailer.
Old 29-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #267
prydey
Rob

Under our tent awning and now van awning i run a 50cm Korr led light strip. Korr products are available from autobarn/opposite lock and get pretty good reviews. They seem like a quality product. They cost a fair bit more than what is on ebay/4wd supacentre etc. In my opinion they are a good system. It can be either white or orange light at the click of a switch.

To power it and to charge devices i have a 18aH lithium battery/jump starter (called 'jump ya bastard'). The light draws 0.6amps so is good for about 20hours on that battery if you just use it for the light. On my last tent camping trip i bought another cheap power bank to keep phones charged and used the other just for the light.

I also have a 1000lumen lantern that i hang off a side pole. Then another 500 lumen one for in the tent. It's one that you can remove the top and hang it upside down from the roof and it gives a good light spread including straight down.

I then had little 100lumen ones for the bedrooms (called moji i think. Great little lights). Most of my lights are from snowys.

I opted for all battery power ones instead of rechargeable. Batteries are cheap and last quite a while. Most of ours lasted at least 2 camping trips. I grab bulk packs from Bunnings of the varta brand which say made in Germany.

Also handy is the cheap remote control ufo lights. Great for the kids.
Old 29-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #268
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Thanks. I hadn't seen that.
There's a bit to see and do that's for sure.
Its good because you can access the park from all different angles for a different experience, the area where you have booked into, from Melrose and the tracks up to Mt Remarkable or the Wilmington end which has spectacular gorges cut through rock you can access.
You could spend a week there and not see half of it.
Having Pt Pirie and Pt Augusta only 30mins away is also handy in case you run out of supplies etc.

I'm going up just after the upcoming school holidays as since they created the online bookings system its almost impossible to get the site you want during them.
Old 29-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #269
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Also handy is the cheap remote control ufo lights. Great for the kids.
I have 2 of these, they are worth the money, just put them in your tent, take the remote with you and when you stagger back a few hours later just push the button and home sweet home.
Old 29-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #270
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone got a link for the remote UFO lights?
Rob, your 1000 lumen light? Is that LED?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk