Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #31
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

yep, SA is the laughing stock of domestic drag racing in australia

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #32
smally289
growing up is optional

You would have thought the latest street racing deaths would have got the Gov inspired to get behind a proper quarter mile strip.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #33
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
You would have thought the latest street racing deaths would have got the Gov inspired to get behind a proper quarter mile strip.
Not likely with that Government.

By HEINRICH PERFORMANCE & TUNING

E Series Falcon Image Museum on FB
https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-Ser...29864000453208
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #34
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
yep, SA is the laughing stock of domestic drag racing in australia
not the only ones, Vic is in that same boat. plenty of good 1/8th mile racing about though to get the cobwebs out
Old 05-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #35
xr6turboford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav 4.0
Not likely with that Government.
If they did build a track it would only have one lane and after every pass would have to send a car to clear the track so you can return back.
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2009, 02:06 PM   #36
smally289
growing up is optional

Not to mention the trams.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #37
amb2600
parts seller

Was at a press release in sydney 2 weeks ago at the launch of HD1 tv channel , ceo of channel 10 anounced AUTO1 and enzed as major sponsors along with channel 10, heaps of air time , only group 1 and 2 , but Andra also anounced group 1 racing in Adelaide and Melbourne with in 2 years :
We can only hope .....
amb2600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #38
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I recon Adelaide must be an insignificant little town of population 1.15 million.
Alice Springs now has a 1/4 mile drag strip, population 27,000.

Mike Rann must be anti drag racing or something..

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2009, 11:40 PM   #39
bbcoupe
It's simple, more CUBES!

It's all about timing........on the track as well as off the track!

For reasons unknown to everyone here in Adelaide, (hugely due to lack of communication, sorry...NO communication), the expected anouncement about the proposed new motorsport complex did not happen a couple of months ago and due to an unfortunate couple of street racing crashes seems to have been put on hold indefinately.

While a couple of politicians rant and rave about no race track being supported by the government while they are around, where are the voices to defend the vast majority of performance car enthusiasts who have nothing to do with illegal motor vehicle use?

Even if there are legit reasons for not getting into a debate with the government at the moment, why isn't there a voice for those who do want a profesionally run and sustainable motorsport facillity here in Adeliade?

We need another demonstration for support of such a facillity, similar to the one held over a year ago to get this started, and hopefully someone there to put a stop to rumours and provide some truth that will unite all interested parties. :
bbcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2009, 02:26 AM   #40
homegrown
hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcoupe
While a couple of politicians rant and rave about no race track being supported by the government while they are around, where are the voices to defend the vast majority of performance car enthusiasts who have nothing to do with illegal motor vehicle use?
Unfortunately I think we get chucked into the same basket as the irresponsible ones. Maybe cos they were picked on in school or have no balls but it seems as tho anyone that has a "modified" car are considered trouble makers or Hoons. It feels like its very unfair and the fact that they're not willing to support any motor racing and are dead set against it (except for V8 supercars because of the $$$ it brings in) its like they're trying to tell us to change our hobbies or way of life for that matter. Unfortunately too many idiots on the road make it far to easy for them to take that approach when it comes to off street racing and when the media get a hold of it, it makes it look like anyone with a modified car is a criminal. And with this image portrayed to the public any body of government that would try to stick up for the sensible ones and say its ok to support drag racing will look like an idoit in their popularity contest.
Well I'm not the most smartest bloke but thats just my take on things.
Lucky for us we still have a right of choice and my Freedom to drive my petrol sucking noise polluting ford falcon. For now anyway.
Old 18-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #41
PALE ALE

Agree with what you have said home grown,but sometimes I feel that drrag racers are their own worst enemy at times. On one hand they jump up and down when Hoons Illegal street race, and is branded as drag racing by the media, and try to tell the media not to brand Illegal street racing as drag racing
Yet on the other hand, they have been vocal and saying build a drag strip to get the hoons off the streets
To me, this compounds the bad image drag racing has in the eyes of "Joe public". It reinforces the publics perception that drag racers are hoons. Some comments I have heard on 5AA talk back radio by "Joe public" are that building a drag strip will only encourage hoon drivers, one bloke was even worried that drag racers will be "practacing" up and down his street.
There is noway any government will back a drag strip in Adelaide with the current mood amongst "joe public" with hoon drivers. I also think that for drag racing to be viewed as a legitamate motor sport by "joe public", that it has to distance itself from hoon driving/ street racing as much as possible
The best thing that drag racers/people that want a drag strip built could do now, is keep quite and let this whole hoon driving thing blow over and forgotten about by "joe public" and never mention hoon driving and drag racing together again
PALE ALE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #42
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who would build a multi million dollar drag strip in Adelaide during a recession? Its going to be MANY years away.

I've completly given up on the idea (which is probably half the problem)
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #43
jf100

The rumour mill continues, apparently tailem bend council are looking for interested parties who may have a use for the old riverbend dragstrip (mitshubishi?) test site, haven't heard of any parties showing interest(what ever happened to back on track organisers, combined drag club efforts to get racing happening) anyway heard andra are none supportive of this site as a drag strip( don't know why).
jf100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #44
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

My car club has drafted 2 letters to be forwarded to members of parliament next month. For all it will do though. Adelaide, while I love the place to bits, is a ****ant town. Missing out on a win win situation, revenue for state government, money in small business and us, GP, get the friday evening drag events, gazzanats, etc. But what can you do? The little guy, kick up a fuss and hope to get heard.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #45
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems like Chris Pyne is now in the corner fighting for a Drag strip/Motorsport track.
He is a Liberal and I am not sure if this is an election stunt to get elected.

Was in the paper recently.

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 11:30 PM   #46
GTP290

I guess I took the 90s for granted. I remember going to the drag races and street meets on a very regular basis, seeing jet cars, top fuellers and pro stocks, I was even there when Victor Bray broke some kind of record, which the crowd went nuts over.

Street meets were good fun and I can still remember the first time I ran my VL ex cop car down the strip, my heart was racing at a million miles an hour and I couldnt here a damn thing with the helmet on and windows up with a full exhaust on the thing, all I remeber was seeing the crowd and watching the stock tacho climb to 5500 rpm before changing gears and having a fuel evaparation prob towards the end of the track and just getting beaten!

The thing that gets me is there was a whole heap of materials stored at the track, we got told they were going to renovate it, then it got shut down and never reopened. The last time I went to AIR was in 2000, Its hard to believe it was almost 10 years ago!
Old 12-05-2009, 12:50 AM   #47
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Forums like this, where positive feedback is often given in regards to drag racing legally, should be bought to the attention of politicians. Good, honest proof that we are really trying, really actually WANTING to succeed as a state, drop the road toll, and have a good time doing it! Too long other states have reaped the financial positives of a drag strip. Prevention is better than the cure. Prevention is a drag strip.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 23-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #48
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I've given up on Adelaide getting a Drag Strip. Heard all the rumours, nothing ever eventuates. When it happens it'll happen, if ever. I reckon the Steel City Raceway up here in Whyalla will become a 1/4 mile track before Adelaide get's any 1/4 mile racing!
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #49
LASGT8
450rwk

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...utm_medium=RSS

Has everyone signed this petition?
LASGT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #50
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Just signed it. This would be about the 4th petition I've signed on this topic. I hope that these petitions help. Will it be forwarded on to the relevant parties at some point?
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #51
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Just signed it. This would be about the 4th petition I've signed on this topic. I hope that these petitions help. Will it be forwarded on to the relevant parties at some point?
Even if it was passed on to someone who had power to do something, you'd be pushing you-know-what up hill thinking they'd care. thats the problem. i figured out a fantastic way to halve the amount of speeding people on our roads, and its also a good way all those state gov'nts who claim they aren't revenue raising to prove it. double demerits permanently, no speeding fines whatsoever. because of addiction to revenue they deny exists, this won't happen, but it's a good catch22 if you where to slam the question so bluntly to them.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 28-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #52
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXR6
Even if it was passed on to someone who had power to do something, you'd be pushing you-know-what up hill thinking they'd care. thats the problem. i figured out a fantastic way to halve the amount of speeding people on our roads, and its also a good way all those state gov'nts who claim they aren't revenue raising to prove it. double demerits permanently, no speeding fines whatsoever. because of addiction to revenue they deny exists, this won't happen, but it's a good catch22 if you where to slam the question so bluntly to them.
Atleast every other state has relised that these facilites reduce street racing, accidents and "hoons."

I doubt they would even answer if you asked, "why are you the only state and police force that does not recognise that racing facilities reduce street racing and serious accidents, is every other state wrong?"

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #53
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

extremely good point. who'd listen? no-one. as far as they're concerned, we're not of concern to them and they can keep on raisin' revenue and the like.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 31-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #54
290v
290v

Ranns more interested in raising money from traffic offences and shutting down Bikie gangs
Old 02-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #55
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

this is why i don't vote.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #56
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXR6
this is why i don't vote.
and why you don't have any right to complain about any government policy. Or so the hardliners would say.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #57
COUPE 72
coupe 72

No government will build atrack in S.A. because there are not enough voters that have political influence that are interested in drag racing. Mike Rann doesnt understand or doesnt care that there is a multi million dollar industry in S.A. that supports all kinds of motor sport, drag racing was a large part of that industry.But what Rann doesnt seem to see is the ecconomic benefit that drag racing brings to other parts of the country like Ipswich and Sydney. He seems to think that "Drag Racers" are a bunch of brainless hoons in street cars tearing up city streets and killing each other in illegal street racing wrecks.When in actual fact alot of "Drag Racers" are very respectable business owners or responsible people that sink millions into their favorite pastime.I spent over 4 years negotiating with Mitsubishi trting to come to a leasing agreement to use the tailem bend test track and then with the currong distric council to return championship drag racing to S.A. only to be promised one thing and then get kicked in the nuts every time. Since the track has now gone out to public tender the camels back has finally broken and the cows milk has turned sour and i think its time this little black duck found anew passion. The only light i can see at the end of the tunnel is the reopening of A.I.R. and Tony Thornton (ANDRA ceo) and Bob Jane kiss and make up. I cant believe i just said that, i feel ill. Bob Jane would do well to get back with ANDRA with their new T.V. deal with one hd. Even though i dont think todays modern top fuellers could stop safely at A.I.R. but that a whole other issue. Sorry guys, ive been ranting but im bitter and twisted now.
COUPE 72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #58
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
and why you don't have any right to complain about any government policy. Or so the hardliners would say.
I said it toungue in cheek, i do vote, however i am constantly reminded that no matter who you vote for your still going to get either a s&^% sandwich or a giant doosh running the country. which is why i kind of wish i didnt vote.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 24-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #59
cob115
COUPE WHORE

i agree with you coupe 72 rann is a tard and wont help this at all,but the tool will gladly ramp up rego fees god dam it !!i ant got time or intrested in going interstate to drag my coupe but would love go for a hoon on a local drag track in adelaide every now n then ,but it ant going to happen in my life time ,sounds like you gave it a pretty good go with what you done good on ya for that .cheers pat .ps i enjoyed your rant

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #60
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUPE 72
The only light i can see at the end of the tunnel is the reopening of A.I.R. and Tony Thornton (ANDRA ceo) and Bob Jane kiss and make up. .
i just read that properly, and realised what you said. what happened with tony and bob jane? i have known tony for around 7 years as he is the stepfather of my best mate, and although he lets on very little, i was unaware of a fued? if this is something thats been on the news etc then please excuse my ignorance.
Game. Reinvented.