Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Default No more REVS or VicRoads vehicle checks

You can no longer conduct a REVS check or VicRoads security check of a vehicle. As of 30th of January 2012.

http://www.vehiclestatuscheck.vicroads.vic.gov.au/

http://www.revs.nsw.gov.au/

You now need to contact the Personal Property Securities Register for information.

http://www.ppsr.gov.au/Pages/ppsr.aspx

Hopefully this is a reliable service, though it isn't free anymore......

Anyone got any thoughts/feelings/comments on the PPSR?? Or now the fact you can't easily check out a vehicle's credentials???

Old 31-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: No more REVS or VicRoads vehicle checks

PPSR is a pain in the **** for any of us in the finance industry...

Also anyone who has large personal assets that are unencumbered need to put security on them via the PPSR as title does not prove ownership any longer... Its a very grey area. This excludes land and buildings.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
TZENU
XY Driv3r

PPSR is even a bigger PITA if you are in the Hire Industry.... Bunch of BS legislation IMHO
Old 31-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

what a crock of crap, i've used that so many times..
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
PPSR is a pain in the **** for any of us in the finance industry...
I think it's a bit of a pain 'full stop'.

I read a little about it, you can put security on things like stock you sell to customer (to cover you between when it is supplied and when the invoice is paid) just incase they go broke in the 30/60/90 day period before the invoice is paid... that way when the administrators come and start clearing everything, you can stake your claim to the stock you sold them... because it was unpaid and on the security register...

But of course that ain't free...

And what about the vehicles?? Who can verify what you're putting on the register?? It's all very confusing... and there wasn't really any notice on the REVS/VICROADS thing....

As usual, white collar ivory tower sitting government types changing systems to warrant their job.... only to screw the masses / blue collar real world people...

At least they're consistant and screwing us....
Old 31-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

At least all the different registries are unified on the one register now!

To be fair, this has already been implemented in NZ and Canada
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so now it`s not as user friendly and costs money to use? don`t you just love them
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
To be fair, this has already been implemented in NZ and Canada
It's good to know that our pollies are spending our money wisely(?) on their frequent overseas junkets.

IE:How to get more money from Taxpayers to pay for more overseas junkets.
Old 31-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

One central registry

OR

Separate registers in Vic, NSW, Tas, Qld, SA, WA and NT

I know which one is more logical.

Like any change, it takes some getting used to.
This user likes this post:
Old 31-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im with gcg2503 on this one it will take getting used to it but in the long run i think it'll be better.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Its not just the change of registries though George its the changes in legal statute that come with it... If you own plant and equipment (shown through purchase receipts and registration certificates) a receiver can still sell your equipment on another parties behalf... For example If I'm Coates Hire and I hire you a bobcat on a job site and your company goes into receivership, the receiver will come in and take Coates Bobcat if there is no lean shown on the PPSR, therefore everyone has to go around and register every asset (other then encumbered ones that the bank already have registered) otherwise their assets are open to being sold up.

So not only is there changes in making it a uniform registry but there are changes in the legal statute associated with ownership and proof of ownership.

I for one am very afraid of what can possibly come of this, anyone can pretty much get a VIN number and go and register security against any asset, providing no one else already has.... Which means there could potentially be people registering items on the PPSR that they do not legally own prior to them registering.
Old 31-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I for one am very afraid of what can possibly come of this, anyone can pretty much get a VIN number and go and register security against any asset, providing no one else already has.... Which means there could potentially be people registering items on the PPSR that they do not legally own prior to them registering(
Then it has to go to court Brent.

So in your example above, the person who has surreptitously registered an encumbrance against the vehcile by VIN on the PPSR will have to prove his/her case prima facie in court

Will love to see that!
Old 31-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Then it has to go to court Brent.

So in your example above, the person who has surreptitously registered an encumbrance against the vehcile by VIN on the PPSR will have to prove his/her case prima facie in court

Will love to see that!
Its more about the real owner having to prove their legal ownership if they don't have an encumbrance over the vehicle on the PPSR. There will be many people who fail to put assets on there simply because they do not understand the potential issues of not doing so.

I for one would not be keen on having to take a receiver to court to prove that I actually owned a particular asset that hes since sold via auction.
Old 31-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I for one would not be keen on having to take a receiver to court to prove that I actually owned a particular asset that hes since sold via auction.
^^^^^
So the PPSR is responsible for this?

And how exactly was this safeguarded under the old regime?

Dont agree with you there - unnecessary scaremongering.

Drawing a long bow mate
Old 31-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
^^^^^
So the PPSR is responsible for this?

And how exactly was this safeguarded under the old regime?

Dont agree with you there - unnecessary scaremongering.

Drawing a long bow mate
Previously if you owned an asset and could prove via purchase receipts and registration papers then you were clear... Now proof of ownership rests with the PPSR regardless of what other paperwork you have. You have to register your items yourself, unless ofcourse a bank has them registered on your behalf.

I can tell you now the likes of all the hire companies are shitting themselves, because unless they list assets on the PPSR they can not prove ownership.

I am unsure as to why your suggesting I'm drawing a long bow? this is a serious issue that many companies are faced with trying to rectify as soon as possibly, as per why the PPSR website is broken as theres thousands of people trying to log in and register their assets.
Old 31-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #16
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Its more about the real owner having to prove their legal ownership if they don't have an encumbrance over the vehicle on the PPSR. There will be many people who fail to put assets on there simply because they do not understand the potential issues of not doing so.

I suspected as much about the PPSR as I haven't had a chance to read into it at more than a cursory level. This really is concerning.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #17
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Previously if you owned an asset and could prove via purchase receipts and registration papers then you were clear... Now proof of ownership rests with the PPSR regardless of what other paperwork you have. You have to register your items yourself, unless ofcourse a bank has them registered on your behalf.

I can tell now the likes of all the hire companies are shitting themselves, because unless they list assets on the PPSR they can not prove ownership.

I am unsure as to why your suggesting im drawing a long bow? this is a serious issue that many companies are faced with trying to rectify as soon as possibly, as per why the PPSR website is broken as theres thousands of people trying to log in and register their assets.
Very much well aware of this Brent.

I was involved with this project representing a large global financier for over 16 months.

As for the hire industry being in a bind, I really dont sympathise. The legislation was known about since 2009.

If you see change on the horizon - plan for it! Not that hard.

Identify the risks and put risk mitigants in place. These hire companies that you speak of must have had their heads in the sand if they are worrying about something that was on the radar for years.....discussed many times over the last few years in industry forums/workshops
Old 31-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Very much well aware of this Brent.

I was involved with this project representing a large global financier for over 16 months.

As for the hire industry being in a bind, I really dont sympathise. The legislation was known about since 2009.

If you see change on the horizon - plan for it! Not that hard.

Identify the risks and put risk mitigants in place. These hire companies that you speak of must have had their heads in the sand if they are worrying about something that was on the radar for years.....discussed many times over the last few years in industry forums/workshops
You're missing the point... I was using the rental business as an example. The PPSR has the ability to affect many people.

Just more red tape paperwork none of us need, simply to keep a few extra people employed. The sad part is it does not even work, and has the potential to be missused and abused.

Have you registered your cars on there George??
Old 31-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #19
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You're missing the point... I was using the rental business as an example. The PPSR has the ability to affect many people.

Just more red tape paperwork none of us need, simply to keep a few extra people employed. The sad part is it does not even work, and has the potential to be missused and abused.

Have you registered your cars on there George??
To answer your question, which you amended: No, I am NOT a public servant.

As for my cars being regsitered on there. No. Not one. Not a sausage.

Am i concerned? No. Not at all.

Let someone register a security interest in my vehicle and try to claim it.

Will make for a very interesting case to prove "prima facie". Likelihood of that happening is next to zero.

PS: there will be less people employed in total as a result of the PPSR...fyi the PPSR takes over from 32 disparate legacy state and territory security registers.
Old 31-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #20
MAD
Petro-sexual

It seems unnecessarily unsecure if anyone is able to register their own interest in a vehicle, which then has to be proven in court.
Old 31-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #21
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Still yet to understand why this is necessary for the hire and rental industry... ???

Most HRIA members feel the same
Old 31-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #22
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
It seems unnecessarily unsecure if anyone is able to register their own interest in a vehicle, which then has to be proven in court.
Did you know that under the old regime anyone could have registered a security interest / encumbrance / lien (whatver you wish to call it) in your vehicle as well....
Old 31-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #23
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Did you know that under the old regime anyone could have registered a security interest / encumbrance / lien (whatver you wish to call it) in your vehicle as well....
Nope. But now I do. Why hasn't that been taken care of? Seems stupid to have it possible for someone to register an interest, that the real owner then has to deal with.
Old 31-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #24
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

court = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$
davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #25
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Nope. But now I do. Why hasn't that been taken care of? Seems stupid to have it possible for someone to register an interest, that the real owner then has to deal with.
Because the likelihood of that happening is very low

Sure it may happen and it can, but very rarely.

Akin to theft / fraud essentially
Old 31-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #26
Dave3911

Quote:
Because the likelihood of that happening is very low

Sure it may happen and it can, but very rarely.

Akin to theft / fraud essentially
I had it happen to me and was the result of a clerical error at the car dealership I bought my Wife's car at. They sold another car two weeks after my wife's, which was encumbered but used the engine number from my wife's car. VIN didn't match, but engine number did and caused some headaches when we sold the car 3 years later. One phone call to the dealer, who contacted the finance company and also gave me stat dec. admitting the error had it all fixed up pretty quickly.

Whilst I agree it doesn't happen every day, I would assume similar administrative errors occur with some degree of frequency. But it's not really that big of a deal, sounds like a bit of a storm in a teacup to get worried about it.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #27
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

Wow. More bureaucratic red tape. Are Australia's politicians trying to emulate the Vogons from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by being over bureaucratic and creating more and more complicated red tape and fees?
BFZ Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #28
blackwasp

**** me dead , i have to pay just to check if a car/bike is encumbered , whats this country coming too?? and the comment "to be fair nz and canada have this already" who gives a flying **** about them , if they raise income tax to 80% would you accept it implemented here! i dont think so! bloody joke!
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #29
LukeGT
Melbourne, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp
**** me dead , i have to pay just to check if a car/bike is encumbered , whats this country coming too?? and the comment "to be fair nz and canada have this already" who gives a flying **** about them , if they raise income tax to 80% would you accept it implemented here! i dont think so! bloody joke!

Completely agree with your first point. For someone in the auto industry who regularly purchases cars, its an unnecessary cost and more difficult process to simply check that the car is not stolen, has clear title etc. You would think the government would encourage this as the costs involved when a stolen or financed car change hands are a lot greater!

Its yet another case of the government outsourcing something they are responsible for and then forgetting about it.

I do however see the advantage of having all states registers combined into one, cars are bought and sold interstate all the time, would hate to buy a car in Vic after checking it is clear, only to sell it to someone in NSW who then claims it is financed in NSW.

XB GT Restoration - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11281881

LukeGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #30
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeGT
Completely agree with your first point. For someone in the auto industry who regularly purchases cars, its an unnecessary cost and more difficult process to simply check that the car is not stolen, has clear title etc. You would think the government would encourage this as the costs involved when a stolen or financed car change hands are a lot greater!

Its yet another case of the government outsourcing something they are responsible for and then forgetting about it.

I do however see the advantage of having all states registers combined into one, cars are bought and sold interstate all the time, would hate to buy a car in Vic after checking it is clear, only to sell it to someone in NSW who then claims it is financed in NSW.
With the old system that Vicroads had, even if it was written off or under finance in another state it would still show up.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post