Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Civil Works - “Right Said Fred” Edition

Council does first stormwater pit audit in my historical memory of the area. Nothing happens.

A year later, a rooster with fancy van turns up, shunts a camera up the pipes in each pit, writes up his report. Nothing happens.

Nine months later, infrastructure subcontract auditor comes around knocking, can I please move my car off the pit? I point out the pit’s all cracked from when the energy provider put their stabilisers out on the crane or borer for pole replacement. No problem he says, we’ll be doing something about it. I wasn’t fussed if they did or didn’t.

This week (some weeks later), a civil works crew turn up, can I please move Povo Ute off the pit? They explain they were sent to “repair the lintel” but immediately declare it’s beyond patching and rip it off “for safety”, thence calling the council’s stormwater engineer to get his posterior pitside, post-haste.

Engineer appears. Declares old pit not big enough, so not just a new lintel but a new pit. It grows twice in their discussions, eventually settling on 2x1m floor area. Subbies say “We’ll come back to this one tomorrow, it’s too big for today” and waste the next three hours on the council’s coin. They secure the site and shoot through, forgetting the tools they left on the footpath. I pick up the dropped toys and stash them out of view.

So this morning they dug halfway across the street to remove the old pit materials and resize the hole. Bit of mesh and concrete, another 90 minutes of not doing a whole lot afterwards (other than remembering their tools today).

Kind of looking forward to Wednesday’s instalment where they decide it all has to come up again for some reason. Nice enough chaps, not grubs who hoick and litter. I’m looking forward to getting my kerbside parking back but it’s not a huge issue.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #2
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Civil Works - “Right Said Fred” Edition

Standby when they hack into a water pipe or telephone/fibre optic lines.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can imagine a Monty Python sketch along these story lines!
Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I had a look this arvo, at what they'd got up to. Nicely formed up pit walls, all inlet pipe penetrations cut in tidily and taped to seal.

Outlet pipe not cut in. Bit of an oversight there.

This pit will be very good at filling with water, but it currently has nowhere to drain.
4 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

This job is like The Terminator.

The lack of outlet pipe was attempted to remedy by “forming” a wrap of corflute between where the pipe was chipped off and where the formwork face started.

It worked. OK, 2/3 of it did. So the granny-flat sized drainage pit now has two thirds of its original outflow capacity. Yet to be rectified.

Then we had a new crew on the gig, all yalla-yalla. Not the melting pot of before.

They were supposed to trim back the kerb, excavate, place the pit lintel and hardware, and form for new kerb. When they weren’t chattering, they mis-stood the digger and cracked the road pavement heavily. Excavator basics fail, or laziness.

Next they chewed up some more stormwater pipes by attempting to rake 200mm of dirt off them with the excavator bucket rather than use a shovel. The centrepiece of all this chaotic glory was lintel placement. “Whaddaya mean there’s a pipe in the way?”. So they cut half the height off an inlet pipe to sit the lintel flat as designed.

I guess if they were OK with restricting the water flow out of the pit, it follows that they’d not be fussed about stopping it from coming in. The final salute from our yalla-yalla crowd was a 2 metre diesel slick across the road surface, new 14 months ago.

The Melting Pot crew are back today, shifting the pipe that was sectioned. It’s raining on them, washing out under their kerb forms and sludging up the new pit.
Old 29-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Where do I sign up? This job sounds like it'd suit me to a T
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #7
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Can't resist....Bernard Crimmins (legend) version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5XX9LX2es4 ..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #8
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@CumberlandFord View Post
You can imagine a Monty Python sketch along these story lines!
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2nedgv

Starring these guys?
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2019, 09:36 PM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The fiasco rolls on.

Yesterday morning they poured new kerbing. My car trailer provided an (apparently) ideal spot for lounging and sunning whilst waiting for the concrete to stiffen and front form stripping. It’s been a real asset to them through the job; they’ve sat on it, hung coats on it, stored their site fencing flat across it.

Today the rest of the forms were stripped and they buried their smashed pipes (I haven’t finished with the council on this one yet)... Topsoiled the nature strip and I was offered the leftover metre of really nice soil. Rotten timing so I had them dump it on a neighbour’s driveway. He was ecstatic with a $50 dirt freebie, but his wife much less so. (She knows he hasn’t settled his last two invoices with me.)

So now there’s only the road repairs and then rectification...
Old 04-09-2019, 07:18 AM   #10
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome to the service industry.

where some business and individuals prefer to collect more revenue through more "touch points" and interactions.

I.e. why deal with something once, do it right the first time, when you can deal with it 6x and bill for six separate ocassions?

great for the invoicing, not so good for the country in the long term. Might rename Aus "Nanny Rework Nation"
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #11
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Reminds me of one near my old man's place; there used to be a shallow gutter in the bitumen running across the road for storm water flow due to a quirk in the way the system was designed probably in the days before the roads were sealed.

Finally someone decided they should take out this dip in the road (right near a T-intersection so it wasn't even much of a 'reverse speed hump'), which was great until the next decent rain and somewhere got flooded. Next thing they've dug it all up to add a pit or two and a pipe under the road. All the old blokes at the council who knew the story must have retired.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #12
roKWiz
Cabover nut

These guys are professionals compared to ARTC, after all these years they finally get the Albury to Melbourne railway line right and now they want to dig it up again to double deck freight ........WTF.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2019, 06:06 PM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I thought they were one of the last bastions of “a job for life”? (Even if it’s 50% rework.)

Still pretty unimpressed with the job out front, now hotmixed and rollered. At least I’ve got my “workshop” back.

In summary, there was a cracked lintel over a pit that hadn’t flooded since ‘84. This was replaced by a double size pit with 2/3 the outflow capacity and a now crushed 150mm inlet line. One of the citrus trees I planted in the nature strip was butchered by ineptness (dropping temp fencing onto half of it). At least I’d got it harvested some weeks before.
Old 19-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The reprise...

I had occasion to meet the “service counter” people at my local Council this morning for another matter and showed them the photos of damage/defects. Service counter woman horrified.

There were works staff on site within 40 minutes.

Right said Fred,
Dig up all the topsoil
Fix the broken pipe and steady as we go...