Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-08-2016, 10:31 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post "Holden is set to let customers shape the end of local car manufacturing by building the cars people want

"Holden is set to let customers shape the end of local car manufacturing by building the cars people want to buy.

Unlike Ford, which shut down ute production months ahead of the Falcon's demise, Holden plans to offer a full range of Commodore-based cars before closing its factories in the fourth quarter of 2017.

The brand is stockpiling V6 engines ahead of a planned shutdown of its Melbourne engine plant in late 2016. Holden managing director Mark Bernhard says it will have enough engines to meet customer demand for V6 and V8 models in the locally-built Commodore's final year.

"We've certainly got estimates around what we think V6 and also V8 volume will be next year," he says.

"We work though those plans with the supply chain, and as the engine plant closes a little bit earlier, we've got to estimate what those volumes are.

"The current plan is that we will produce V6, V8 and all three body styles all the way through.

"But again that will go down to customer demand."

Having already built its final ute, Ford will put an end to Falcon and Territory production on Friday October 7. Holden will build its last Australian-assembled Cruze that day, but it won't say exactly when the last Commodore will roll down the Elizabeth production line in 2017.

"We're working towards a closure sometime in the fourth quarter," Bernhard says.

"It's too early to plan to be planning any dates specifically around when that is. It's going to get a lot of complications around what volumes are and things like that, so that's a decision I'm certainly not making today."

Holden is expected to release a final update for the Commodore in 2017, and Bernhard expects the car to have strong demand "right across the portfolio", from entry-level V6 versions to top-flight V8 halo models.

Without confirming specifics, Holden spokesman Sean Poppit says the brands has "tricks up its sleeve" when it comes to the final year of Commodore production, which is likely to feature a special edition or two.

The brand plans to match customer appetites, striving to make sure that anyone who wants to buy a final-year Australian Commodore is able to get their hands on one.

That said, Bernhard is at pains to point out that the Commodore name will live on after the death of Australian-built models. Holden is expected to offer Europe's Opel Insignia sedan as a successor to the locally engineered large car.

The Holden chief says "The next Generation Commodore will have the performance and the technical capability behind it to carry the commodore nameplate". http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/h...08-gqo0x8.html
Old 15-08-2016, 10:33 PM   #2
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: "Holden is set to let customers shape the end of local car manufacturing by building the cars people

Shame there is no demand for the holden v6 for marine purposes...
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2016, 10:55 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: "Holden is set to let customers shape the end of local car manufacturing by building the cars people

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Shame there is no demand for the holden v6 for marine purposes...
Boat anchor !!!
Old 15-08-2016, 11:02 PM   #4
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Holden say they can build what I, the customer wants? So can they build FG-X Falcons post October? where do I sign ?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2016, 11:06 PM   #5
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Holden was building the cars people want to buy then why are they closing?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2016, 11:15 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
If Holden was building the cars people want to buy then why are they closing?
Why stop spinning BS even to the end....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2016, 11:29 PM   #7
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stock piling v6, that shouldn't be too hard probably only need a handful.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2016, 11:39 PM   #8
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

So who asked them to build a "Homer".

Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #9
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
"Holden is set to let customers shape the end of local car manufacturing by building the cars people want to buy.
Two words: Commo McDoreFace
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Boat anchor !!!

Really?? But haven't you been saying for years how much better the Calais is over the corresponding Ford product?

I bought a Calais V V6 earlier in the year as a work hack for the Mrs and its been a fantastic car all round.. It's no slouch either with 0 - 100 of mid to low 6's.

Waiting with interest to see what the final Commodores have.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-08-2016, 11:07 AM   #11
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Really?? But haven't you been saying for years how much better the Calais is over the corresponding Ford product?

I bought a Calais V V6 earlier in the year as a work hack for the Mrs and its been a fantastic car all round.. It's no slouch either with 0 - 100 of mid to low 6's.

Never said the Calais was better, just Ford has no comparable car, G6E lacks the tech and V8 option.
Old 16-08-2016, 11:12 AM   #12
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Never said the Calais was better, just Ford has no comparable car, G6E lacks the tech and V8 option.
Up until the VF Series 2 I would have thought the G6ET would have been more than sufficient to show the V8 Calais the door, now the Calais gets the LS3 im not sure this is still the case...

A G8E with a Blown 5 litre would have been awesome, even in 315 trim, just a bloody shame Ford didn't build them...

As for the Tech/Interior.. the VF Commodore have it WAY over the FGX when it comes to that... No matter how much some people want to fight it...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #13
SpannerXR8
2008 BF XR8

October 7 will be a sad day for this country, an thriving industry of the past destroyed!!
SpannerXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #14
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannerXR8 View Post
October 7 will be a sad day for this country, an thriving industry of the past destroyed!!
Well not really, Holden are still going to be manufacturing until late next year...

Very very sad day for us Ford Lovers, Yes bloody oath, but the industry still has a bit over 12 months left in it yet...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #15
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Half their luck. Pity Ford didn't do something similar.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #16
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

From the title of the story I expected them to start allowing customers to build base model Omegas with GTS drivelines if they wanted. It just seems to be PR BS to keep Holden in the news.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #17
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I might have to ask if they will build a HSV, GTS, clubsport with a v6 alloytec

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #18
Sprint XR8

"Building the cars people want" is PR spin for building only to order for the final months.
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2016, 02:07 PM   #19
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin View Post
From the title of the story I expected them to start allowing customers to build base model Omegas with GTS drivelines if they wanted. It just seems to be PR BS to keep Holden in the news.
The last Omega was a VE, built back in Feb 2013.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2016, 02:20 PM   #20
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

"The current plan is that we will produce V6, V8 and all three body styles all the way through.

"But again that will go down to customer demand."
So, Just like Ford did with the ute, once customer demand drops, so will the product...

Next...

Quote:
Without confirming specifics, Holden spokesman Sean Poppit says the brands has "tricks up its sleeve" when it comes to the final year of Commodore production, which is likely to feature a special edition or two.
Shame ford didn't do this, a final GT or Sprint version of the falcon would have been awesome!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #21
menil
fg pursuit

'As for the Tech/Interior.. the VF Commodore have it WAY over the FGX when it comes to that... No matter how much some people want to fight it..".
__________________How many people use the TECH you speak of, Nikon & Canon have stopped development on cameras as the average Joe cant use them and I suspect the same with cars I know I wont use any more than the radio and cd in my new Falcon.
menil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #22
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post

The V6s are actually pretty well sorted in the VF, they just carry their boat anchor rep from the VE days. We tested a '13 SV6 against a '15 XR6 and the SV6 could not be beaten in a straight line, it wasn't gutless down low like they used to be either. Hard to lose a reputation once you've got it though.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #23
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

I know nothing about Commodore V6s. What's the actual difference between the VE and VF versions?
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #24
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I'm no expert on their V6s but as I understand it they went through 3 V6s with VE, starting with the non-DI version which was a genuine boat anchor, which was replaced by GM's LLT V6 (SIDI) which was better, then for MY12 they replaced that with a yet again improved version called LFX (same output on paper but peak power made higher, peak torque made lower, new cylinder head, manifolds etc), for 2013 (VF) they revised the tune and added a lot of sound deadening around the firewall so it didn't sound thrashy like prior years and up until MY15 they could run on E85.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #25
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
The V6s are actually pretty well sorted in the VF, they just carry their boat anchor rep from the VE days. We tested a '13 SV6 against a '15 XR6 and the SV6 could not be beaten in a straight line, it wasn't gutless down low like they used to be either. Hard to lose a reputation once you've got it though.
Isn't the SV6 a lot more powerful than the standard V6 though?

I drove my sisters V6 not long ago and it was a POS.
Had to rev the bejesus out of it.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #26
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Isn't the SV6 a lot more powerful than the standard V6 though?

I drove my sisters V6 not long ago and it was a POS.
Had to rev the bejesus out of it.
Yeah there are two tiers of V6, the lesser ones get a 3.0L I think.
Old 16-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #27
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I'm no expert on their V6s but as I understand it they went through 3 V6s with VE, starting with the non-DI version which was a genuine boat anchor, which was replaced by GM's LLT V6 (SIDI) which was better, then for MY12 they replaced that with a yet again improved version called LFX (same output on paper but peak power made higher, peak torque made lower, new cylinder head, manifolds etc), for 2013 (VF) they revised the tune and added a lot of sound deadening around the firewall so it didn't sound thrashy like prior years and up until MY15 they could run on E85.
Yep, pretty much spot on only i believe the E85 was available from VE2 onwards, although there was a number of running changes during VE1 defined as MY updates which may have included the Ethanol flex tune.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #28
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

The 3.0l still produces 190kw, but apart from that sounds like its a chaff cutter tbh.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #29
FPV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz290 View Post
Half their luck. Pity Ford didn't do something similar.
Pity nether of them did this for the past 20 years.

What happened to the old days were you bought your car and you actually had options like drag pack rally pack etc. the options are a cargo barrier and roof racks and a thrule luggage thing on your roof WTF
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2016, 06:02 PM   #30
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
I know nothing about Commodore V6s. What's the actual difference between the VE and VF versions?
Ones slow and the other is slower.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: