Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 08-10-2019, 12:05 AM   #1
PeterT71
Starter Motor

Default MC Mondeo Ecoboost requires new engine

My wifes 2013 MC Mondeo Titanium ecoboost with 7400km on it requires a new motor due to suspected ring/piston damage. The car has been serviced as per log book schedule and has never been thrashed.

We bought the car mid 2014 with 3000km on it so have owned for just over 5 years. Ford is unwilling to assist with repairs despite its non-compliance with Australian Consumer Law - Customer guarantees. The car is worth around 13k according to Carsales prices.

Ford has quoted 12k for a new engine and I'm unable to find suitable used ecoboost motor from a wrecked MC Mondeo in the country. A used motor swap is worth around 6.5-7k installed.

There are several low km wrecked MD ecoboost motors available but I have been advised that they are not compatible with a MC.

Effectively my car is now a write-off and its unacceptable that a motor should expire at 74000km. If anybody has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.
PeterT71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: MC Mondeo Ecoboost requires new engine

I feel for you, but you bought it as a second hand car 5 years ago, and the manufacturer's warranty has long ago run out. I don't really think Ford owe you anything. Sure, some sort of compromise would be nice, but why do you think they are not compliant to the Consumer Law?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT71 View Post
Ford is unwilling to assist with repairs despite its non-compliance with Australian Consumer Law - Customer guarantees.
Please explain why you think Ford should come to the party for a 6yr old car, originally sold with a 3yr warranty?

Don't get me wrong, I think some good will from Ford would be appropriate considering service history and low mileage (and maybe possible), but you need to have a very convincing argument so lets hear it.

Quote:
The car is worth around 13k according to Carsales prices.
13K would be top dollar I think.

Redbook
Private $9,600 - $11,200
Trade $7,000 - $8,600

https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/deta...OT-ITM-325620/

Quote:
Ford has quoted 12k for a new engine and I'm unable to find suitable used ecoboost motor from a wrecked MC Mondeo in the country.

There are several low km wrecked MD ecoboost motors available but I have been advised that they are not compatible with a MC.
I believe it's the same engine as the ecoboost falcon. Worth some investigating
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
PeterT71
Starter Motor

Australian Consumer law states: You are guaranteed the goods you buy are of:
  • Acceptable quality (Acceptable quality takes into account what would normally be expected for the type of product and cost.)
  • Must last for a reasonable amount of time
  • Realistic expectations when a failure may occur
  • Consumer guarantees don’t have a specific time limit even if the manufacture put a time limit on their warranty, this cannot replace your customer Guarantees
“If the car you’ve bought from a dealer has a major failure, then you’re entitled to a replacement or a refund from the car dealer. You have the right to seek a replacement or refund from a car dealership if your car has a major failure.”

I cannot see any exceptions to my rights to Consumer Guarantees under Australian Consumer Law.

Surely it is unacceptable for an engine to expire at 74000km? An destroyed engine is surely classified as a Major failure under ACL. Therefore do you agree that my ecoboost motor could be classed as not being "Acceptable quality" under the ACL definition ?

Also a product must last a "Reasonable time" (74000km is unreasonable) and the manufactures warranty time limit is not applicable under ACL.

A compromise would be great as I realise **** happens in life. Also not that it counts for anything these days but I have been a loyal Ford customer and currently own two Mondeos a MC Zetec diesel and the MC titanium. Prior to this situation I would automatically have upgraded to a MD as I have always thought they are great cars.

Last edited by PeterT71; 08-10-2019 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 08-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #5
manchu

Quote:
Surely it is unacceptable for an engine to expire at 74000km? An destroyed engine is surely classified as a Major failure under ACL. Therefore do you agree that my ecoboost motor could be classed as not being "Acceptable quality" under the ACL definition ?
I don't disagree but you'll need to do better than "Surely it is unacceptable?" to convince the guys who have already declined to assist.

Digging up some precedents of ACL effectively doubling the manufacturer warranty would be a good start, especially if they relate to this engine.
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
My wifes 2013 MC Mondeo Titanium ecoboost with 7400km on it requires a new motor due to suspected ring/piston damage. The car has been serviced as per log book schedule and has never been thrashed.
This part has me curious and more detail is needed.

What is the actual problem, what noise does it make, does it use a lot of oil, why do they think it needs a complete new engine?

Have you spoken to the dept of fair trading?
Old 08-10-2019, 07:33 PM   #7
PeterT71
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
This part has me curious and more detail is needed.

What is the actual problem, what noise does it make, does it use a lot of oil, why do they think it needs a complete new engine?

Have you spoken to the dept of fair trading?

The car developed a bad misfire which I initially thought may have been due to fuel injectors.

Took it to Ford who said it was a ignition coil so I replace a coil. Made no difference so I took it to an independent garage who diagnosed it as piston/ring damage. The mechanic said the was spark plug was covered in oil. I could also hear the engine was a lot noisier than previously. Took it back to Ford who diagnosed the same.

I have contacted some engine re-builders to possibly have it reconditioned and they wont touch it due to the unavailability of parts??

I have spoken to Fair Trading and the ACCC and they believe I have a legitimate case under ACL Consumer Guarantees.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-10-2019, 12:53 AM   #8
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchu View Post
Digging up some precedents of ACL effectively doubling the manufacturer warranty would be a good start, especially if they relate to this engine.
Not Ford EcoBoost, but there's a recent (present) case involving a 7yo Jeep and similar circumstances for a $30K fuel system repair:
https://youtu.be/obLqQHoTufs (trigger warning: Cadogan)

For the OP, I think the rub may be in how the vehicle was purchased. If you bought the car new from a Ford dealer then sure, ACL got your back. But it had 3,000 k's on it, so was it sold new or "as-new" (ex-demonstrator perhaps), or sold as second-hand? From a Ford dealer, another marque's dealer, or privately? The ACL says the party that sold you the goods is the one that holds responsibility to you for the goods to stand up as they represented it, so if that party was not a Ford dealer, then unfortunately your legal standing to get redress from Ford itself is diminished. You'll still have the law on your side against the party you bought from if it was represented "as new" or similar however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2019, 01:39 AM   #9
PeterT71
Starter Motor

[QUOTE=Mondaveo;6349873]Not Ford EcoBoost, but there's a recent (present) case involving a 7yo Jeep and similar circumstances for a $30K fuel system repair:
https://youtu.be/obLqQHoTufs (trigger warning: Cadogan)

Thanks for your reply:

I bought the car from a Ford dealer. Its a ex-Ford car and I'm the 1st registered owner.

I have contacted the dealer and they wont help me out. Ford have just reviewed my case and wont do a buy back. I would been happy if Ford could take possession of my MC Titanium and and find a used low km MD Mondeo from their vast network and sell it to me at cost/trade-in price.

I have been advised to engage a solicitor. Apparently Fair trading is a waste of time.

I have received advise that I certainly still have ‘acceptable quality’ guarantee protection after the warranty expires based on my circumstances.

Another option is if they cost supply me a new engine at cost price. I just want to get the car back on the road as its now been 4 weeks and its causing a major hassle.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #10
Mondaveo

Quote:
I bought the car from a Ford dealer. Its a ex-Ford car and I'm the 1st registered owner.
Sounds like you have a strong case, the selling dealer and Ford through them should have an obligation under ACL.
I was concerned there may have been a chain of ownership involved, that may have meant you couldn't claim against Ford. In my case, I bought privately, so when I found a manufacturing defect I had no recourse against Ford - the law would only have covered me to claim against the seller.

Unfortunately I expect you are going to have to go the lawyer route to get it rectified.
Fair trading are a good first stop for advice, and the mere mention may scare smaller traders into action, but they can't generally do anything to compel businesses to comply.
The dealer will typically obstruct and drag out the process in hopes you'll get fed up and either pay up or go away. (Happened in my case, they successfully fobbed off the previous owner and failed to fix the admittedly intermittent fault, until the warranty was up and the car was sold on.)

If you want to try to speed up the process, you may consider sending your story to Mr Cadogan or other media outlet to get some public scrutiny on Ford and the dealer, see if that spurs a change of attitude... best to steer clear of rants on social media while still hoping for some goodwill from them though...

Did the car receive all its servicing with the selling dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post