Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 03-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #31
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Engine malfunction warning and P244C DTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post
Well the saga continues.....

When I got home Thursday PM the Mondeo had just started a burn, so I left it running (at idle) for 10 minutes whilst it completed.

Started up this morning to drive to work (i didn't have Forscan up) and Engine Malfunction warning again and this time limp mode.

Pulled over and scanned, got DTC P2002C - DPF efficiency below threshold

Reset OK and monitored the gauges. the DPF_LOAD gauge was at 0% and DPF_SOOT_LD at 25%

After about 5 minutes of driving the DPF_LOAD jumped from 0% to 25% and climbed as normal to 61% by the time I got to work (120km). It should be due for a burn about half way home so hopefully will complete a successful burn and continue on.

I have to say I'm about over these DPF problems.....

Same happened to me this afternoon: engine malfunction warning and limp mode!

Pulled over and scanned:

DTC P2002C - DPF efficiency below threshold

The DPF_LOAD gauge was at 0% and DPF_SOOT_LD at 32%.

Some time later after restarting the DPF_LOAD value was 43%.

Did some googling and found this interesting forum post, post #4:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...2-code-311269/

The DPF_LOAD value is calculated by the pcm from various input data from the engine management system etc. In other words it's what the pcm thinks it should be.

On the other hand DPF_SOOT_LD is inferred from the pressure differential across the DPF.

Anyway I took a look at the hoses to the pressure sensor and they were fine.

I'll keep driving it as is, on the assumption that there has been a glitch, or else an intermittent sensor/circuit fault.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2018, 08:25 AM   #32
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ooops I got DPF_SOOT and DPF_LOAD round the wrong way in my last post.

Though not specifically about Mondeo this text from Fordservice.com is indicative of the sort of strategies used to flag a P002
DTC:

'The DPF Filter Efficiency monitor compares the calculated restriction (from a sensor measuring delta pressure
across the DPF) to the expected restriction calculated from a soot model (using various engine sensors as inputs).
After a successful regeneration event, the monitor waits for DPF temperatures to fall below a threshold (400 degC,
to allow for an accurate soot estimate)and for a small quantity of soot to build up in the DPF (approx 3 grams). At
this point, the monitor performs a filtering routine on the calculated restriction (from deltaP sensor) and locks in the
initial restriction. Once sufficient soot has built up in the DPF (based on integrated soot from the soot model), the
monitor will repeat the filtering routine on the calculated restriction (from deltaP sensor) and from the estimated
soot in the DPF (from soot model). The ratio of restrictions (actual vs soot estimate) is compared to a threshold. If
the ratio is less than a threshold, an error flag is set. The monitor allows for multiple monitoring sessions in order to
provide debouncing before declaring the monitor as a pass or fail. When a sufficient number of sessions have
been completed, the monitor is declared complete. The number of sessions with a failed result is compared to a
threshold. If the number of failed sessions is greater than a threshold, the monitor is declared as failed and the
code is set.'
Old 27-07-2018, 08:25 PM   #33
bundybear75

So nearly 20,000km since the DPF problems and all is good. Looks like the vaporiser was the problem. I plan to strip the old one down and clean it out as a ready spare in case of problems in the future.

Rondeo, did you get to the bottom of your issues?
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-07-2018, 09:12 AM   #34
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

P2002 and EML has been a one off so far.

Everything's normal.
Could have been a glitch, snag, quirk or hitch. No Idea.

After reading your post I bought a 22mm crow foot spanner, just in case.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #35
T-Pak Addict
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Possible DIY solution to vaporizer carbon blocking is to drill and tap into the end of the vaporizer and plug with a 4mm stainless hex head bolt, as per Meguinnes on Talkford.

It's hard to DIY if you're working though. You need expensive tools, and the technology has changed. Ford's information policy doesnt help either.

I'm retired so time is not an issue, and have spent lots on tools. Problem is Ford's unethical attempt to profit.
Information which might help the consumer with mechanical problems such as you are experiencing, is withheld in the hope of earning money. They try to profit by monopolising the service of Ford cars, pathetic really. Are they really that desperate?
I did this and saved myself $400, Thanks for this info it saved me some big $$$ Mine just fully coked up (185k) drilled and tapped with a M5 Tap and M5 Allen Key bolt. Cleaned it all out run some degreaser thru in and blew the rest out with compressed air.

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2021, 05:42 PM   #36
askvictor
Starter Motor

So I got this error a week ago (MC Mondeo), and eventually managed to force a burn to clear it, and have been monitoring the DPF since. I've noticed the soot load goes up to 80-85% (about 8g) every 150-200km, and has done a few burns by itself since then. Is this about right? By chance I was doing a fair bit of highway driving, but am wondering what happens when doing mostly city driving - when the soot load gets up to high levels?

I've also been monitoring the DPF differential pressure - it changes a bit depending on load, but seems to average around 4kpa, but varies from 0 - 12 when running normally.

Have also noticed that the fuel consumption seems to sporadically be higher than normal - I usually run about 5L/100km on the highway, but was up at around 7-8 for a bit, but then dropped back down. This was not during a soot burn btw.

Any thoughts?
askvictor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2021, 07:52 AM   #37
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Around 80% is the maximum in normal operation, any higher indicates a problem.

A good summary here:

https://www.gotboost.co.uk/p244c-for...ostic-testing/
Old 12-05-2021, 06:24 PM   #38
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting thread, this could be the cause of the P2002 DTC on my MB.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
Old 18-05-2021, 05:33 PM   #39
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm unable to see all of the PID's referred to in this discussion, for example DPF_LOAD is missing from the list in the FORscan app. All I can find is a PID for differential pressure. Is this because I have a MB and selected MY2007.25 when asked by the app?

Old 19-05-2021, 08:09 AM   #40
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
I'm unable to see all of the PID's referred to in this discussion, for example DPF_LOAD is missing from the list in the FORscan app. All I can find is a PID for differential pressure. Is this because I have a MB and selected MY2007.25 when asked by the app?

I could be wrong, but I dont think the MB has a vaporiser like the MC - Doesn't it initiate burns by changing the fuel mixtures in the cylinders? I thought there was an issue of diesel contamination in the oil due to this?
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2021, 10:58 AM   #41
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post
I could be wrong, but I dont think the MB has a vaporiser like the MC - Doesn't it initiate burns by changing the fuel mixtures in the cylinders? I thought there was an issue of diesel contamination in the oil due to this?
You could be right - I've never looked to see if my wagon has one. But I doubt that extra fuel alone could raise the exhaust temperature enough at low speeds to complete a regen.

I have very few regens occur at low speed, but sometimes notice the engine temp changing while driving, which I expect is a regen. Maybe the vaporiser is only used when the extra fuel alone cannot provide enough heat?

Old 20-05-2021, 07:31 PM   #42
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not take a look?
Old 21-05-2021, 09:21 AM   #43
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, but I'd need to jack up the front of the car!

I expect Bundybear is right. The vaporiser should not affect engine temperature, which certainly happens on my MB.

It looks like they started fitting the vaporiser when the diesel became Euro 5, which happened during 2010. So mine could be either. I tried to check on ETIS but you now need to register as a business to see the vehicle specs, and I couldn't be bothered.

Interesting article here: https://www.eltaeurope.com/techassist-fuel-vaporizers/

They are certainly a better way to do a regen than squirting extra fuel into the engine and hoping!

Old 27-05-2021, 05:27 PM   #44
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's cheaper than the gym anyway.

Jacking the front should only take a few minutes.
I use two floor jacks with props and think not much of it.

As for removing the undershield a small cordless screwdriver with a 10mm hex drive socket and a picnic blanket from Bunnings.

There's plenty to see having done that.