Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 08-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
fordmondeomk4
Starter Motor

Default Purge diesel system

Hey all, what have people used/done to bleed the diesel system on an MA Mondeo 2008 tdci? I've pumped and pumped and it seems there is continually a pocket of air forming around the diesel pump feed line. So I might need some form of stronger gear pump, as the pump I've got might not be strong enough to suck through the pump return line.

Also I have cracked the nut on the injector and cranked the motor, so I believe that's how you bleed the high pressure side?

Had a problem where the car cut out with no codes. I swapped the diesel filter, injectors and pump with new and known working units. I made sure I pumped diesel back through the feed line so the whole feed line and filter pot is full of diesel.

Thing still won't start and not showing any codes. Definately half a tank of diesel in there, I've added a good 20L to it.

Thanks.
fordmondeomk4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Purge diesel system

Try spraying aero start or wd40 ( anything with no.2 on red label on side of can) into air intake
You may need to spray( with in reason ) long enough to eliminate air from system
Why did it cut out ??
Does fuel pump work. Have you checked fuses / relays etc. Did it run out of fuel . Does immobiliser light go out. Does it have a fuel shut off switch they may have tripped ref. owner’s manual.
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #3
fordmondeomk4
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ford11 View Post
Try spraying aero start or wd40 ( anything with no.2 on red label on side of can) into air intake
You may need to spray( with in reason ) long enough to eliminate air from system
Why did it cut out ??
Does fuel pump work. Have you checked fuses / relays etc. Did it run out of fuel . Does immobiliser light go out. Does it have a fuel shut off switch they may have tripped ref. owner’s manual.
Thanks for your reply.

The fuel pump and injectors are from another known working car.
I don't think it run out of fuel, it was showing a good amount left, however.... I did 808kms from the tank (normally easily get 850km before I have to fill). It was run out of fuel symptoms though... Pulled off freeway, put my foot down normally from the lights, seemed to hesitate a little, kept driving, did it again, about 1km later, thought this is odd, gave it some stick up a hill and she cut out and wouldn't start again.

Check fuses, relays by swapping them , owners manual... I think these things just might be a bastard to bleed the air out properly.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #4
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try the spray and see what happens it should at least fire on it
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #5
fordmondeomk4
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ford11 View Post
Try the spray and see what happens it should at least fire on it
I'll get some today and see how I go.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmondeomk4 View Post
Thanks for your reply.

The fuel pump and injectors are from another known working car.
I don't think it run out of fuel, it was showing a good amount left, however.... I did 808kms from the tank (normally easily get 850km before I have to fill). It was run out of fuel symptoms though... Pulled off freeway, put my foot down normally from the lights, seemed to hesitate a little, kept driving, did it again, about 1km later, thought this is odd, gave it some stick up a hill and she cut out and wouldn't start again.

Check fuses, relays by swapping them , owners manual... I think these things just might be a bastard to bleed the air out properly.
Fuel injectors on a common rail need to be coded into the computer. It may not recognise they are there. Even swapping two around will cause the car not to run
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2019, 10:50 PM   #7
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post
It may not recognise they are there. Even swapping two around will cause the car not to run
Hi,
Where have you heard this?
The reason for the coding is to get the calibration right, in order to eliminate the build tolerances in the delivery volumes for each individual injector.

On vehicles like Ranger PJ/PK and Territory SZ you can easily swap out injectors and not notice anything (still running fine), but you may see differences during a smoke test or dyno run.

Back to the Mondeo issues, Have you replaced the feeder pump?

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2019, 09:28 PM   #8
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmondeomk4 View Post
Hey all, what have people used/done to bleed the diesel system on an MA Mondeo 2008 tdci?

Thing still won't start and not showing any codes. Definately half a tank of diesel in there, I've added a good 20L to it.

Thanks.
I use a
vacuum
a large jar with tin lid
suitable vacuum hose for the fuel return line

make a hole in the jar lid for the vacuum hose to cover.
make a hole for the hose that's going to fit in the fuel return line but engine side.
screw lid onto the jar.

now turn on the vac and place the hose over the hole in the jar lid. This will keep a vacuum in the jar. The hose connected to the fuel return line should now start to suck fuel from the tank-filter-engine-injectors all the way to the return line and into your jar. It took about half a (Large as in 3L+) jar of fuel before the fuel stream was clear and without air bubbles. Only when it were constant fuel and nothing else did I then turn it off connect the return line to the correct fitting and start the engine and it stumbled for only a few seconds before it took off under it's own steam from the starter motor.

Now return the fuel in the Jar back to the tank. The hoses I used that happened to be good for the job were from a $20 SCA hand pump that was an epic fail, thank god for the hoses though.
Old 13-11-2019, 05:20 AM   #9
GTMOND

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
I use a
vacuum
a large jar with tin lid
suitable vacuum hose for the fuel return line

make a hole in the jar lid for the vacuum hose to cover.
make a hole for the hose that's going to fit in the fuel return line but engine side.
screw lid onto the jar.

now turn on the vac and place the hose over the hole in the jar lid. This will keep a vacuum in the jar. The hose connected to the fuel return line should now start to suck fuel from the tank-filter-engine-injectors all the way to the return line and into your jar. It took about half a (Large as in 3L+) jar of fuel before the fuel stream was clear and without air bubbles. Only when it were constant fuel and nothing else did I then turn it off connect the return line to the correct fitting and start the engine and it stumbled for only a few seconds before it took off under it's own steam from the starter motor.

Now return the fuel in the Jar back to the tank. The hoses I used that happened to be good for the job were from a $20 SCA hand pump that was an epic fail, thank god for the hoses though.
^^^^ That's exactly how I did mine, when I had my MA Mondeo.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post