Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Parkway
I Like Turtles

Default Told to drive in 'Power' mode?

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Anyway, I just got my automatic serviced and when I picked the car up the guy brought up the fact that I drive in 'Economy' mode and that I shouldn't. I was a little confused because I always thought power mode was only really used for towing (as stated in the manual) rather than city driving.

Now I'm not too sure if I should take his word for it, although he seemed quite professional and has probably been in the business a while. He also told me a whole heap on why it's beneficial, rah rah rah and that he spoke with the chief of Borg Warner but I'm still not convinced.

Do tell...

Parkway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Default Re: Told to drive in 'Power' mode?

Well I had an auto EF XR6, so not all that different to yours. And i my experience you are completly right, only under heavy load would I turn Econ off... The only diff I found was with power mode on, it revved out more between gears with the same amount of throttle which in my head, make perfect sence for towing conditions etc.

Would of been interesting to hear his opinion though in detail... Diversity is golden...
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Parkway
I Like Turtles

He mentioned something about lockup. Sorry I can't get too technical as I was still getting over the fact that I was driving an automatic wrong....somehow.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No doubt reving through the range is fun, but it eats fuel too much, thats why i keep it in normal.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your owners manual is your guide......

Personally it sounds like he is feeding you something

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't the "power" button change the ECU programming and make the engine produce more horsepower?

...at least that's what guys told me years ago when I first saw Commodores with that button on the console...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

You sure he's not after you to be back there in 12 months needing a full transmission rebuild and lining his pockets with some $?

Never heard of that before. Power mode holds gear longer to provide better accelaration under load (e.g. towing) ... which obviously consumes more fuel. I imagine it has some effect on transmission wear too.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
Parkway
I Like Turtles

Yeah, he probably saw my P-Plates and assumed I'm a hoon and that I will rip it into 'er at every possible moment and blow my gearbox. Business is also extremely bad where I live so you might be right.

But another reason why I posed this subject is because my mum's Hyundai Excel has an economy and normal button. I assumed normal in that instance would be power in mine. My car is no Excel though.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Now, this is just what someone told me, so I cannot comment on whether it is true or not.

Basically at 50km/h in econ mode the gearbox is right on the shift point between two gears, so if you go up an incline or something it will constantly switch between the two gears. Turning off 'econ' mode stops this by changing the shift point.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is my take on it, i always drive in power mode(always have), rightly or wrongly, i would rather the auto change into gear at a slightly higher rev, so that way the the transmission line pressure is higher so therefore having a tendancy to have less band slip and prolonging the life of the auto.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
AU Mont
Banned

lol im with the mechanic.... because in normal/power mode the transmission will happily drop back a gear with minimal throttle when going up inclines which otherwise in economy would hold & chug along in top gear and feel far from economical

in other words, makes the BTR more zippy around town
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
Bridgette01
Happy Wife = Happy Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
Well I had an auto EF XR6, so not all that different to yours. And i my experience you are completly right, only under heavy load would I turn Econ off... The only diff I found was with power mode on, it revved out more between gears with the same amount of throttle which in my head, make perfect sence for towing conditions etc.

Would of been interesting to hear his opinion though in detail... Diversity is golden...
Same in my XH panel van. More revs with same throttle. Only used it for towing

G6ET 2010 Seduce. Tax return = GTX upgrade DONE
Bridgette01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I used to have an EL. I did pretty much 240,000k's in economy mode and the trans only had two oil changes in it's life. Trans was faultless.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #14
Paxton
Cobblers!

My Fuel Economy got better in Normal Mode, compared with Economy Mode. To the tune of about 50 Kms to the tank, mainly because the engine wasn't labouring and slipping against the torque converter. I can't drive the car in Economy Mode any more, because it does my head in.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #15
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I had a EB that would get better economy in power mode but that economy was the tune of 16-17L/100km.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I was under the impression that in Power mode the shifts are a bit firmer, and don't slur as much as in Economy, which reduces slippage and therefor heat, and therefore increases the trans longevity.

I'm pretty sure thats true as well. I would believe what he's saying is true.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #17
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

But theres a couple of testimonies in this thread that they've had there cars in a couple of hundred tho kms on econ with no hassel. Im sure it only revved it out more. To me it like driving a manual, same throttle but rather then changing at 2,800, I change at 3,300. There are both pros and cons eithet way. Econ on 24/7 would after *00,000kms put heavier wear on your box and even your engine to a degree. But how much so is the question.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #18
davids_gxl

i never use eco and my au auto has done over 480xxx.
davids_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #19
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
But theres a couple of testimonies in this thread that they've had there cars in a couple of hundred tho kms on econ with no hassel. Im sure it only revved it out more. To me it like driving a manual, same throttle but rather then changing at 2,800, I change at 3,300. There are both pros and cons eithet way. Econ on 24/7 would after *00,000kms put heavier wear on your box and even your engine to a degree. But how much so is the question.

This all depends on how they drive the car and where as well. Where I grew up, power mode is pretty much essential, otherwise you'd be in third or fourth gear going up a steep incline, and that's really not good.
The wear and tear damage in the end, is not going to be a huge difference, especially since its only a minor amount of band slip thats being prevented (from memory, I talked to a lecturer about this aaaaaaaaages ago). The problem occurs, as my mum found out in the lexcen, is if you tow something without economy mode off.... yeah... she learnt, to not tow anything, ever again. Or maybe it was in power mode, but the car was that shot it kicked itself anyway, can't remember. What I do remember is th D&M I had with her about transmissions after

Anyway, I digress. If you keep it in economy, you can always manually downshift and upshift through the gears when you need to ;) And that *should* be just as good as keeping it in Power mode
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #20
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really doubt it makes a significant difference under normal driving circumstances. In hilly country or towing or drag racing, fair enough, put it in power mode. I keep mine in economy 99% of the time, it suits my driving style better. Means I can get to 60 quicker and keeps the revs under 2000 rpm because it changes through 1, 2, 3 really quickly whereas in power mode it would obliterate my already poor fuel economy. If I need to go up a steep hill I just drop it back to '3'. The only thing I don't like about economy mode is that it slurs in and out of overdrive at around 80/85 km/hr which can be annoying if you're in an 80 zone.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #21
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

In economy you may be cruising below the torque convertor's lock up speed. When cruising in 4th for example at below the stall speed then that leads to overheating and wear. You'd rather it be "locked up" in third with higher revs, about 2000rpm - not good for fuel but there's no wear resulting from slippage.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #22
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Lockup in our XR6T BA is 62kmh/r(18's)in Perf D,annoying to be honest.58 would be better.

(Above^^^^)This is why highstalls and tall diff gears arent reccomended as well.If you do alot of cruising at city speeds then sitting 2-3000rpm of the stall speed will generate exessive heat.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #23
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
In economy you may be cruising below the torque convertor's lock up speed. When cruising in 4th for example at below the stall speed then that leads to overheating and wear. You'd rather it be "locked up" in third with higher revs, about 2000rpm - not good for fuel but there's no wear resulting from slippage.
My EF locks 4th whenever it shifts into it in Economy Mode. In Normal Mode, it doesn't usually happen until about 85-90 KM/H.

I don't let mine have 4th, unless I'm on the highway anyway.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #24
grey_esp
Greys tuf too :-)

Perhaps your box is a little worn so he is suggesting to drive in perfromance mode so the converter doesnt lock out, that way all slip is taken up in the convertor and not in the box it self. Pretty sure in performance mode they dont lock out at all, even when they are above the stall rpm.

I know at 100kmh in my BA if I bump it across to performance the converter unlocks and it picks up a few hundred rpm.
grey_esp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #25
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_esp
Perhaps your box is a little worn so he is suggesting to drive in perfromance mode so the converter doesnt lock out, that way all slip is taken up in the convertor and not in the box it self. Pretty sure in performance mode they dont lock out at all, even when they are above the stall rpm.

I know at 100kmh in my BA if I bump it across to performance the converter unlocks and it picks up a few hundred rpm.
In the older models, it definitely Locks up in Normal Mode. No doubt about it.

My Territory didn't give you 4th in Performace Mode, and did not lock up 4th in SSS mode, but would in D.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #26
outside
off in outer space

i drive my Territory in Perf mode in anything under 80k's
i get better l/100k then the wife who drives in nom mode all the time
Old 10-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_esp

Thats because performance mode locks out 4th, so its just dropping back to 3rd.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 12:57 AM   #28
Parkway
I Like Turtles

He said my gearbox is in excellent condition. My EL has only done 168xxx K's.

I'm still confused on this lockup business though. Can anyone please elaborate as the guy mentioned this word quite alot?
Old 11-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #29
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my BF 6 speed looses a gear when you switch to power mode, so i only use it for hooning.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #30
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most BTRs work as a 3 speed auto in power mode, just like the good old days of C4s and FMXs. In Econ they are capable of selecting (4th) odrive and then susbiquently lock up (which under certain circumstances in some models will maintain on a downshift to third). Using a range of inputs the box will drop out of lockup and or 4th as load increases. They are usually pretty smart and don't hunt. If you find the box hunting select power mode or a prefered gear. Thats my experience. Some one asked what lock up is... it is a clutch that operates to dirrectly join the gearbox input to the crankshaft, thereby eliminating all slip by the torque convertor and saving fuel (usually).
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post