Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Pre-PX Ranger Questions (No Start)

Posting up here as (a.) the Ranger sub-forum is kinda quiet and (b.) it seems more focused on PX-onwards models.

Mate has acquired a diesel Ranger that won't start, it almost runs on ether spray, rail pressure has not been measured over 3000PSI (limit of gauge to hand).

All basic sensors check out OK by testing and substitution from a running vehicle. Dash reds as normal.

As he has a fully running car with identical electrics, what is the coded set required for an electronics swap to rule out ECU failure? Just key and ECU, or ECU/cluster/BCM/key, or a combination inbetween? I've suggested he puts the non-runner's electronics into his known runner to see if it gets up and goes.

I'm not at all close so this is all being conducted by remote control.

Advice appreciated.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Pre-PX Ranger Questions (No Start)

For PJ/PK Rangers, you will need the ECU, key, key reader & the immobiliser module.

The idea of putting the non-running stuff into the good car is the better way to go.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Cheers for that. I'm too conditioned to the Bosch/Valeo readers which are passive and had assumed those rules applied.

My other concern had been odometer overwriting, if that's not an issue it's quite a simple problem.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:06 PM   #4
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,
No problem with the odometer on PJ/PK. It isn't coded against anything.

You can read the rail pressure by a scan tool, (such as Forscan) so no need for a physical gauge.

For this engine you should be checking the timing belt. For example if the camshaft have jumped some teeth it will not run, and can collide valves.

Has he checked compression? It may have jumped its belt and not have any.

Another thing to check on the PJ/PK are relays in the driver's footwell. If the car has been wet at any time then these relays may be corroded. The immobilizer module may have been soaked and internally corroded. Check also that the fuel feeder pump is getting voltage.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-11-2019, 07:26 AM   #5
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Also check the fuel metering valve in the back of the high pressure pump.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Thank you both, I’ll be passing the information up the line (900-odd km).

I think he’s going to proceed with the “unknown electronics into known runner” first and if that runs fine, start looking harder at fuel supply and peripheral electrics.

That it would catch and want to run on ether spray suggests the timing is probably alright.

My greatest concern was his turning over of the engine with injectors unplugged, may have cooked their drivers.
Old 13-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #7
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many possibilities..
Very random without a scan tool.

By the way, the PJ/PK has its crank position sensor located at the transmission bell housing and doesn't run without it, so if someone have had the transmission out of the vehicle it is worth checking that sensor is still there and connected.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post