Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 19-03-2020, 12:03 AM   #181
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Pestilence is one of the four Horseman of the Apocalypse ...........
very good, how did you put all that together.

that,s quite a strange coincidence.
Old 19-03-2020, 12:03 AM   #182
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Here's a thought. What if the effected age range was flipped? And it's the children and young adults that were dying? Would we have a different view?
Yes, I think society would.
But the highest infection rate of COVID-19 is in the 20 to 29 year old age group.
So our young adults are in the group that is the most affected... Just not dying.
This user likes this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 12:19 AM   #183
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
The problem is, whatever way you decide to go there will be arguments for and against.

Keep kids in school, possible outbreaks are contained and traceable. Parents are able to try and work to keep the economy going.

Keep them home, they go out and mix in the random public, at least 1 parent needs to look after them and if they ask a grandparent and they are infected that's a recipe for disaster.
Ok, that contains them between the hours of 9 and 3, what
about outside of that time?
If they're capable of mixing with the public between 9 and 3 if not at school, what stops them from mixing after 3 when on public transport or in the shops etc. etc. and if parents are still able to work with them at school, who's looking after them between 3 and when the parents knock off now and why is that person ok to look after them after 3 but not between 9and 3?

My job has me standing outside a school everyday, Im still seeing grandparents picking them up, I still see them waiting at public bus stops, I still see them walking to the local shops, just as much chance of catching it and passing it on after 3 having been at school all day as there is being kept home.
Go to a shopping centre near a school on a pupil free day and its not overrun with 5 to 12yo's, no more than after 3 on a school day in the company of a care provider, yet apparently if the schools are closed all of a sudden every kid will be hanging out at the shops.

Last edited by BENT_8; 19-03-2020 at 12:27 AM.
Old 19-03-2020, 12:25 AM   #184
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Ok, that contains them between the hours of 9 and 3, what
about outside of that time?
If they're capable of mixing with the public between 9 and 3 if not at school, what stops them from mixing after 3 when on public transport or in the shops etc. etc. and if parents are still able to work with them at school, who's looking after them between 3 and when the parents knock off now and why is that person ok to look after them after 3 but not between 9and 3?
Exactly. There is no correct response to this.

Your damned if you do and your damned if you don't.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 19-03-2020, 12:36 AM   #185
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Don't get me wrong, id be happy to see the schools stay open because if they close im redundant and the mob I drive for will probably go under, but I cant understand why 30 kids can sit next to each other in a classroom but cant visit the zoo, cinemas or museums etc.
Just close those places during school hours to the general public who get there in private transport and allow the bus drivers to get back behind the wheel and earn a dollar getting the kids there.
Old 19-03-2020, 12:40 AM   #186
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Don't get me wrong, id be happy to see the schools stay open because if they close im redundant and the mob I drive for will probably go under, but I cant understand why 30 kids can sit next to each other in a classroom but cant visit the zoo, cinemas or museums etc.
Just close those places during school hours to the general public who get there in private transport and allow the bus drivers to get back behind the wheel and earn a dollar getting the kids there.
I'm in the same boat. I stopped working last year and rely on casual work this year.

If schools close I've lost my main income.

2 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 03:14 AM   #187
Trek
Blue blooded

This whole thing is sad. It could've been prevented in its spread much more easily and sooner. Humanity ****** up big time.
Old 19-03-2020, 06:13 AM   #188
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Thumbs up Re: Covid 19 -

One of our oldies is on forced leave as of next week at work - he is 72.

He wasn't too keen on staying home, plus having all your entitlements forced on you isn't exactly nice either.

The policy was conveniently worded to only include one person
Old 19-03-2020, 07:34 AM   #189
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Social media, and therefore irresponsible individuals, is to blame for much of the panic, hysteria and misinformation being spread.
Social media has given a platform to every wacky idea and conspiracy theory.

Once highly respected professions like doctors and scientists are now being called liars by people with nothing more than YouTube quals themselves.

We now have 911 doubters, moon landing doubters, anti vaxers, chem trail believers etc etc and social media has enabled them to group together and thereby feel more justified in their wild claims.

The current Covid virus problem is being exacerbated by these types of people who somehow 'know better' than the best scientific minds and advice available.

Everything gets questioned ad nauseum and that creates doubt in some leading to fear and panic.
It's time to be reasonable rather than add to the hysteria by making stupid statements based on nothing but gut feelings or as Stuart Littlemore once said "simplistic answers to complex questions"
Old 19-03-2020, 07:51 AM   #190
HIPO
Al

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRJpP83MqNs
Old 19-03-2020, 08:05 AM   #191
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
So, if we take my deaf, epileptic, dementia-stricken father as a fair example of someone needing assistance - do you see me being allowed in there at seven, to shop on his behalf?
Hi. If you are someone who cares for or supports an invalid person you would have or be entitled to a companion card which like any other benefit card would get you into the supermarket early, unlike myself who is 65 but because I choose to work for a living cant get a seniors card or pension/health-care card get locked out till 8.00 AM. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
2 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 08:19 AM   #192
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
Social media, and therefore irresponsible individuals, is to blame for much of the panic, hysteria and misinformation being spread.

Once highly respected professions like doctors and scientists are now being called liars by people with nothing more than YouTube quals themselves.

We now have 911 doubters, moon landing doubters, anti vaxers, chem trail believers etc etc and social media has enabled them to group together and thereby feel more justified in their wild claims.

The current Covid virus problem is being exacerbated by these types of people who somehow 'know better' than the best scientific minds and advice available.

Everything gets questioned ad nauseum and that creates doubt in some leading to fear and panic.
It's time to be reasonable rather than add to the hysteria by making stupid statements based on nothing but gut feelings or as Stuart Littlemore once said "simplistic answers to complex questions"
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

There is always an easy solution to every human problem neat, plausible, and wrong.
Old 19-03-2020, 08:34 AM   #193
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:

Geez, if I didn't know any better, you're advocating behavioral control, filtering of the "wrong" content, and 100% belief in the righteousness of the government officials. The individual must be put into submission for their own good.

I did question if you were operative for the CCP, and here you are again.
5 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 08:40 AM   #194
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Nothing new.
It has been happening with ‘climate change’ over the past five years or so, but the hypocritical enviro nazis have stepped it up a notch over the last year or two, where the public is bombarded with propaganda multiple time every day.
The hysteria surrounding this virus gives us a break from that BS.
Ironically from what I’ve seen a lot of those who push climate change and how everyone but themselves need to change are most affected by the economic impacts from this. Hospo & retail jobs, or an income that is reliant on leisure disposable spending. Non essential services. Enjoy.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #195
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Tragic news - Eurovision is canceled.
4 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #196
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Finally...some good news!
Old 19-03-2020, 08:55 AM   #197
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Old 19-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #198
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

I had this conversation with the kids the other night, what needs to be dealt with is how people take in information.

Its one thing for someone stupid to start and spread information, its another for usually logical thinking people to take it in and believe it.

I dislike trump, but him calling out fake news (shame some of it was probably true) is a good example that we need to start calling out people and shaming them if they repeatedly sprout falsehoods that are clearly non factual.

You then run into issues with who's truth is fact, but most of it could be cut down and pushed back on.

I dont have the answer, other than to educate my children not to believe the first thing they hear; unless its from me
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
7 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #199
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Good ol' Scotty said today - using Singapore as an example, that he has decided not to close the schools. Firstly, Singapore acted quicker, and did a much, much, better job of restricting the spread and containing it. The students and teaching staff in Singapore were/are checked for temperature daily, and most were/are wearing masks.

We have not - and are not - doing ANY OF THAT! We haven't acted quick enough to stop the spread, and we don't check the temperature of every student and teacher! So how can he possibly use Singapore as a comparison??

Children may be a reduced risk of death, and all the stats point to that. But they do help with spreading the virus. How is this not comprehendible to those advising him, or himself? Scotty says he is happy to send his kids to school, so everyone else should be happy too??

The truth of it all, Scotty doesn't want to close the schools because he doesn't want to stop parents from going to work! They will delay the lockdown until it's too damn late, just like most other western countries have done, and we all will pay a big price because of it. Either way we will pay a big price, but locking down everyone would be the better option. Lockdown needed to happen at least 7 days ago.

Didn’t he use England as an example of one of his decisions last week?
He just does what he wants then looks for a way to justify it.

Some schools are taking it seriously, some don’t care. I know of a school where a student was on a plane for 14 hours that has had 2 confirmed virus cases. School says kid probably doesn’t have the virus because they were sitting more than 1.5m from the passengers who had it.
I hope he doesn’t have it because social distancing doesn’t work at schools. Too many kids in a class to seperate them. Then on the playground the kids still get up close and touching each other all the time. Especially the younger ones
Old 19-03-2020, 10:55 AM   #200
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

IMO ScoMo has lost the narrative and control - not sure if this is even legal?

https://www.smh.com.au/national/coro...18-p54bjc.html

Tasmania introduces quarantine period for non-essential travellers, declares state of emergency

Tasmania is introducing a quarantine period for non-essential travellers, Premier Peter Gutwein announced this morning, declaring a state of emergency.

"From midnight on Friday, only essential travellers will be allowed into Tasmania without going into quarantine," he said.

"Any non-essential traveller into Tasmania will be required to go into a period of 14 days of quarantine. Essential travellers will be those that are important to our health effort, or to an emergency situation, or those that keep our trade links running."

Tasmanian residents who are returning to the state after midnight on Friday will also have to comply with the quarantine.
Old 19-03-2020, 11:07 AM   #201
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The self isolation is a joke.

You get off the plane, to walk through crowded immigration and the terminal, to then catch a bus or a train to somewhere, to then stop by the shops to stock up, to then go home to self isolate for 14 days.

In that process you have been in close vicinity to hundreds / thousands of others.

4 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 11:39 AM   #202
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Next item people will be fighting over is washing powder. ''Gotta wash those reusable shopping bags after each use because they could have the Wu Flu''.
Old 19-03-2020, 11:40 AM   #203
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
Love the first comment..... Give me money

Pinned by Amazing Polly
Amazing Polly
1 week ago
If you're worried about the COV19 flu thingie this will make you feel better... sort of.
To support the work that I have done you can send me a contribution via paypal or through the regular mail.
Paypal: https://paypal.me/PollyStGeorge
Mail: amazingpolly.net/contact.html
Old 19-03-2020, 11:47 AM   #204
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Next item people will be fighting over is washing powder. ''Gotta wash those reusable shopping bags after each use because they could have the Wu Flu''.
Already all gone as well.

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

Old 19-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #205
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why arent we giving masks to EVERYONE getting off a plane? Hell, masks should be mandatory now for anyone going into public areas. We are at the community transmission phase now. Not shaking hands and washing them more often is only of marginal use.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #206
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Geez, if I didn't know any better, you're advocating behavioral control, filtering of the "wrong" content, and 100% belief in the righteousness of the government officials. The individual must be put into submission for their own good.

I did question if you were operative for the CCP, and here you are again.
Ah you're back

You'd run away to the Tesla thread for a while to regroup.

Imagine if we all had to put our real name and phone numbers in our signature on here. Things would be a lot more civilised.
Old 19-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #207
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Why arent we giving masks to EVERYONE getting off a plane? Hell, masks should be mandatory now for anyone going into public areas. We are at the community transmission phase now. Not shaking hands and washing them more often is only of marginal use.
What planes?
Old 19-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #208
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You get off the plane, to walk through crowded immigration and the terminal, to then catch a bus or a train to somewhere, to then stop by the shops to stock up, to then go home to self isolate for 14 days.

In that process you have been in close vicinity to hundreds / thousands of others.
Or hang around the airport and catch two more domestic flights to point of isolation.
What about airline cabin crew and airport staff... no isolation required.

Qantas and Jetstar have announced no international flights and a 60% reduction of domestic flights from end of March to end of May. Serious stuff. Will interstate travel be next...

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/head...hrlEtbgOb4s7lo
Old 19-03-2020, 12:45 PM   #209
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Imagine if we all had to put our real name and phone numbers in our signature on here. Things would be a lot more civilised.
Sounds like you're reaching out for help, good luck.
Old 19-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #210
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Let's get back to real life important stuff for a moment

I went and voted in our local council elections yesterday, there were 16 people on the ticket and I said to the electoral lady person that I wanted to be inclusive today and if she could point out to me the black women on the list.

At least I got a hearty laugh.

Us oldies can take social risks because we will all be dead soon from the virus.
Closed Thread