Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #31
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FPV GT to be killed off early

If FPV sales have fallen like a stone lately, then they might be at the rather sad point that even GT body kits are no longer viable to produce in the quantities required, especially for the updated Falcon.

Answer. Welcome back XR8 with GT mechanicals.
Old 16-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

So much cheaper to just run an XR body with GT mechanicals. No need to spend money developing an FPV kit.

Ford are just going to take the cheap option from here on in, who gives a f about the buyers, it's all about saving cash for the shutdown. Shameful, but that's business I guess.

What else are they going to rip out of the update to save cash?
3 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #33
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Mark my words - Ford local manufacturing won't even last until 2016.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
4 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #34
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

shut the gate Max.. here comes the last of the Interceptors
Old 16-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #35
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Well looky there.... AMac reckons the GT will be renamed XR8 in the next model......

Now that will only leave:
It is too expemsive
It is not N/A
It is too expensive
There is no wagon
It is too expensive
It does not have LPG
It is too expensive
It is not the right colour
It is too expensive
Holden sell the SS for $29.95 Ford must compete
It is too expansive
New cars are a rip off why don't they put them out as fleet/rentals
It is too expensive

as the reason why the usual suspects won't buy one.
Is this sort of post really necessary? it adds nothing of value to the discussion

On topic, crying shame to lose the GT and it will be interesting to see if they do resurrect the XR8 name and in what state.

I was never a fan of the XR8 badge, much preferred the GS or GT (and I own an FG XR8). As a guess, the demographic for a new Falcon V8 would tend to be the older buyer who are long time Ford fans and would remember these older iconic badges, would be fitting for Ford to retire the mighty Falcon with these badges in my view.
8 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #36
Bossxr8
Peter Car

He's just cut, because if the XR8 returns he will look like a fool for constantly bagging people who claimed it was coming back.

Possibility of an XR8 and an XR8 Sprint. That would be some cold comfort.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #37
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
So much cheaper to just run an XR body with GT mechanicals. No need to spend money developing an FPV kit.

Ford are just going to take the cheap option from here on in, who gives a f about the buyers, it's all about saving cash for the shutdown. Shameful, but that's business I guess.

What else are they going to rip out of the update to save cash?
I can just see it now - we're going to end up with an FG mk 3 and they'll close the joint in 12 months.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
I can just see it now - we're going to end up with an FG mk 3 and they'll close the joint in 12 months.
The earlier they can shut it, the cheaper it will be. They probably have a plan to force buyers away so they can blame poor sales for an early closure.
Old 16-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #39
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
The earlier they can shut it, the cheaper it will be. They probably have a plan to force buyers away so they can blame poor sales for an early closure.
Then again, they got $50 million in government grants to develop the 2014 car, would they have to pay it back?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 16-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #40
westy73

Quote:
Could this be to make room for the hi-po Mustangs?
Who cares. They kill the GT, they kill my aspirations to own a Ford.
I love GT's !! Period.
7 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #41
nstg8a

Quote:
If that happens il never buy another ford again.

Bad enough for the workers now, but at least they have a timeline, if ford canned everything early it would be devastating for those that were relying on the next three years for re training etc etc
3 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #42
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
Mark my words - Ford local manufacturing won't even last until 2016.
I hope it does last to 2016 but after that decision I reckon a lot of people saving for a GT in 2015/16 will be annoyed. I think Ford USA is trying too kick us Falcon fans in the guts especially after hearing that we wont get a supercharged mustang here. might be rumours that aren't true hopefully. don't know what too believe when it comes to hearing things about Ford anymore especially in the last 3 years
Old 16-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #43
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
I hope it does last to 2016 but after that decision I reckon a lot of people saving for a GT in 2015/16 will be annoyed. I think Ford USA is trying too kick us Falcon fans in the guts especially after hearing that we wont get a supercharged mustang here. might be rumours that aren't true hopefully. don't know what too believe when it comes to hearing things about Ford anymore especially in the last 3 years
No one is getting a s/c mustang I believe, it's not just us.
Old 16-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #44
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
That was my first thought, they didn't have the cash to update the FPV styling for the MKII update, now it seems they're not keen on spending anything on the 2014 update either and obviously the existing bodykit won't fit the 2014 model (given the styling changes), so what else were they going to do.
Old 16-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #45
westy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
Is this sort of post really necessary? it adds nothing of value to the discussion

On topic, crying shame to lose the GT and it will be interesting to see if they do resurrect the XR8 name and in what state.

I was never a fan of the XR8 badge, much preferred the GS or GT (and I own an FG XR8). As a guess, the demographic for a new Falcon V8 would tend to be the older buyer who are long time Ford fans and would remember these older iconic badges, would be fitting for Ford to retire the mighty Falcon with these badges in my view.
Couldn't agree more. We are AUSTRALIAN people. Not YANKEE. I for one will go down and be remembered for loving Ford Australia products. Have loved the GT's and GS's for as long as I can remember. I have aspired to own a Ford Falcon GT but will never quite get there by the looks. It sucks big time. People can jump ship and love their American Heritage Mustangs but I will always love the GT and it is the pinnacle Ford OZ car IMO. Not some import.
Old 16-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #46
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I was going to buy a GT next year. So gutted if this is true. But Ford Aus do have a track record for these type of STUPID decisions and NEVER seem to learn from past mistakes.

A massive kick in the guts for loyal Ford and Falcon buyers.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
4 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #47
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have mixed emotions if this turns out to be true. I didn't buy the R-Spec with the thinking that it would be the last iteration of the GT but rather because it ticked all the boxes for me 9 years after I got my first GT-P.

There were lots of rumours swirling around after I'd placed the deposit but it was basically impossible to join the dots at that time.

I suspect the article is accurate about no more FPV as Prodrive were not working on another project after R-Spec but I also would hope it is not true as I believe the brand should go out with a bang and not a whimper.

Needless to say, R-Spec No 15 is a keeper.
Old 16-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #48
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Freaking crap time to be a Falcon fan.
4 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #49
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Ford Australia spokesman, Neil McDonald, would not confirm any details on FPV's imminent closure when contacted by Drive.

Lets make a story anyway!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
4 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #50
I6DOHC

Yep, The Yanks are here! Looks like 1 more pesky problem has been solved.

Just RIP the guts out of what's left of the carcass and move on.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #51
DMENTDGT
ON CHARGE

For those who where waiting for the last GT to come out like myself to buy one. Just buy an FG GT S/C series 1 or 2, one hell of a vehicle and cant go wrong in buying one and if you cant afford new there is plenty of 2nd hand now. That way we can all own GT'S... There is no name like GT that is what represents FORD that is what represents FALCON...

LONG LIVE THE FALCON...

FORD FALCON FPV GT 335
Lightening Strike
ZF Box
Leather
Cat Back 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust
5% Tints
Stock Power: 346.3rwkw

Current Rides: Porsche Cayenne, Suzuki GSXR 1000 K1
PRIOR RIDES: BA2 xr8 ute, AU2 Xr6, EL xr8, EB Ghia 5.0L, XD 4.0L
Old 16-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #52
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Ah, the joy of being a Ford fan, every piece of news is disaster.

What if Ford renamed GS as XR8 while the GT remains but it's now
on a common XR body but with R-Spec suspension brakes and decals..

Last edited by jpd80; 16-07-2013 at 08:33 PM.
10 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #53
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Ah, the joy of being a Ford fan, every piece of news is disaster.

What if Ford renamed GS as XR8 while while GT remains but it's now
on a common XR body but with R-Spec suspension brakes and decals..
Like the original GT...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 16-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #54
xw302gs

Wheels story and Drive's report? They both can't be right! I'll wait to hear what Ford say.
Old 16-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #55
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
R Spec owners will be the winners out of this. They will eventually be the most collectible Falcon ever one would expect.

Racing Heritage = most collectible = GTHO Phase 3!
4 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #56
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The rumor mill is going berserk and all this does is shake out people who want a GT and were planning on waiting.
Until Ford spells out its product decisions, we're going to see people lurch from one "catastrophe" to the next.
Old 16-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #57
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

I guess the saddest part in all this is that we will never see a red hot attempt at a GTH or GTHO.

I was never a real fan of the FGGT body kit anyways so badging the XR as GT with the GT goodies may be a good thing.....depending on what the next gen XR looks like.

There are no surprises here. The biggest surprise is that some on here didnt see it coming.

I guess owning an FPVGT now just became that little bit more special and nostalgic.

So i guess next year we can start the official FPVGT appreciation room space on the forums.......lol
3 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #58
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Ford.

Winning hearts and minds. The silence is deafening.

If they had any respect for the fan base, senior Ford people would be all over this site hosing down, correcting the articles spinning more death cuts to the brand.

But they're not. What's that tell you?

1. They don't care?

2. They don't have anything by way of correction?

3. It's just part of the exit strategy?

Me? I feel for the local staff. The contractors. The third party manufacturers and the mouths that are kept fed. I mean all due respect to the loyal and dedicated staff. Highly skilled, good manufacturers with the acumen to produce a product that they simply haven't been resourced to. Commercial reallities preclude that.

But. A small part of me, way deep down inside just wants the crap to stop, the marque to be put 10 feet under. As a brand, the last couple of years have served no worthwhile purpose other than prolong the agony that most of us feel. It's actually embarrissing.

Those with a good Falcon, hold onto it. And if you're cashed up, and like the marque enough, buy one real quick.

Or, hold out a bit longer, and buy the imported Ford.

I'll take mine in dark metallic grey, black wheels, black stripes, with GT500 written down it's flanks.

RIP Falcon. Youre like the family dog, at 15 years of age.....I would much prefer you went out quickly, painlessly. But, like the old family dog, we, you, everyone holds on just too damn long.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 16-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #59
westy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The rumor mill is going berserk and all this does is shake out people who want a GT and were planning on waiting.
Until Ford spells out its product decisions, we're going to see people lurch from one "catastrophe" to the next.
And so we should, shouldn't we ? If you want to be American go ahead be my guest. (Not sure which way you're leaning here, either pro American import and get over it, or damn shame the Falcon is going down so quick)
I will lurch from catastrophe to catastrophe and voice my displeasure at the axing of the Falcon and all derivatives. I want them to know I FOR ONE AM NOT HAPPY. Substituting in an inferior American brand and heritage plate will not please me. Sorry. I am Ford OZ through and through, love the blue oval but Ford OZ will always just be a poor cousin from here on in if it hasn't been for the last 10 years at least.
This user likes this post:
Old 16-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #60
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
There are no surprises here. The biggest surprise is that some on here didnt see it coming.
Head in the sand. Desire to remain positive faced with overwhelming facts to the contrary. Loyalty is noble. Loyalty does not necessarily convert to business sucess (obviously)....

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread