Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-02-2007, 06:27 PM   #61
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yeah it's alright , was driving mates car from qld to vic .. his car registration is qld and under his name... hopefully he doesn't get the fine because he doesn't have a way of getting mail :P

The time distance cams are pretty far apart so mostly pulled over for 10 mins fuel/rest etc. then cruise back to 120 on the dial but slow back to 100 for the cameras.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 06:54 PM   #62
jaskel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you are caugfht with Laser they dont take anything off...laser is accurate to +/-1km/h...
jaskel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 09:17 PM   #63
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
The time distance cams are pretty far apart so mostly pulled over for 10 mins fuel/rest etc. then cruise back to 120 on the dial but slow back to 100 for the cameras.
The way NSW govt is talking they will be every 50km. Do you need to stop that often for a pee??
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #64
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskel
if you are caugfht with Laser they dont take anything off...laser is accurate to +/-1km/h...
Like I said earlier, most cops consider 115km/h (120km/h on the speedo) no great danger to society and will let you go on your way - in all my driving I am yet to meet one that thinks otherwise.

That said I am in no way condoning excessive speed. Crossing the lake george flats or the Bargo ramp is very different to travelling through the goulburn hills in torrential rain...... Drive safely to the conditions.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #65
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Lasers aren't that accurate. The technology and principle is sound however in reality a busy main road cops too much interference.
They can be successfully argued against in court.

As for the speed tolerance thing, I believe we need to have limits, but I don't believe we need to be so anal that we spend the majority of our time focussing on the speedo and not the challenge of managing an 1800kg moving hunk of metal. This is where a lot of fatalities occur, as we have all witnessed changes in conditions over a split second. In real terms, we have focussed on speed over the years where a zero tolerance approach has been adopted, yet cars have gotten safer, roads have been upgraded, and the road toll (not to be confused with toll bar) has remained largely unchanged. Obviously something has not moved forward in line with other improvements.
I think a little more tolerance and leniency should be fostered in order to allow for less frustration. Don't make it such that it can encourage speeding but don't make it so stingy either, where a gust of wind can see your licence evaporate in the flash of a money box err, speed camera.

Yes, cop it on the chin if that turns you on but for goodness sake, if you feel as though you have been dudded then challenge for the sake of your sanity. Bracks will not miss it, he'll only use it to change his name from Bracks to Tax.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 10:25 PM   #66
jaskel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Lasers aren't that accurate. The technology and principle is sound however in reality a busy main road cops too much interference.
They can be successfully argued against in court.
are u for real...man we have tested so many laser guns against gps, calibrated speedos and even sat 3 laser guns with 3 shooters and all got exact same reading.

If the guns are calibrated correctly they will be 99% accurate...you may get some difference over 1500 feet but under 1000 feet these things are more accurate than any radar or speedo out there.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #67
bEAn86

yeah SA os a much nice state to drive in i set the cruse at 117 and never had a problem, i set the cruse on 103.0 in Vic and the copper flashes his high beems at me!
bEAn86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 10:58 PM   #68
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
The way NSW govt is talking they will be every 50km. Do you need to stop that often for a pee??
are ya kiddin me ? on the newell highway... they are bloody far apart
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 12:31 AM   #69
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
are u for real...man we have tested so many laser guns against gps, calibrated speedos and even sat 3 laser guns with 3 shooters and all got exact same reading.

If the guns are calibrated correctly they will be 99% accurate...you may get some difference over 1500 feet but under 1000 feet these things are more accurate than any radar or speedo out there.
Firstly, I wouldn't set my watch to GPS, there are some marked differences in metres which is to be expected from something measuring distances from 50Kilometres above you.
Secondly, the lidar guns require calibration just as the radars do. Before you try and woo me with averages etc ask yourself this; can you definitavely prove that they are 100% accurate? And I don't mean can you argue the point I mean really prove in say a courtroom setting where these matters are resolved that these measurement instruments are not succeptible to external and unintentional interruption, that they are specific down to the 0.1 of a metre, that they are reliable and are clearly able to consistently measure the same distance on a fixed let alone moving object? I work with measuring equipment that has peoples lives depend on it and I can tell you that there is nothing electronic out there that is 100% reliable all the time.

Believe me sunshine, there aint no case that can't be argued and won. If you have the time and are prepared to part with some cash, you can cast doubt in the judges mind sufficient to walk away with your licence and points intact.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 12:48 AM   #70
jaskel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i can, its called a calibration certificate...thats a legal doco and will hold up in court...ive seen it with my own eyes...and don't call me sunshine buddy!
Old 13-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #71
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Firstly, I wouldn't set my watch to GPS, there are some marked differences in metres which is to be expected from something measuring distances from 50Kilometres above you.
ltd is correct.

Civilian GPS is not all that accurate. You need Military grade GPS for that.

Civilian GPS horizontal position fixes are typically accurate to about 15 meters.

Sources of errors

Ionospheric effects >> ± 5 meter
Ephemeris errors >> ± 2.5 meter
Satellite clock errors >> ± 2 meter
Multipath distortion >> ± 1 meter
Tropospheric effects >> ± 0.5 meter
Numerical errors >> ± 1 meter or less
Old 13-02-2007, 10:48 AM   #72
fordbarbie
inluv with the bulge

i've been told that the tolerance in victoria at the moment is 3kph. but i've also heard that's due to our state being run by labour, and that the liberals allow a tolerance of 10%. don't know how true that is tho...
i'm pretty sure that on freeways the tolerance is more than 3%. i went past a parked cop while on my Ps doing just under 110kph and they didn't do anything.
fordbarbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #73
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordbarbie
i've been told that the tolerance in victoria at the moment is 3kph. but i've also heard that's due to our state being run by labour, and that the liberals allow a tolerance of 10%. don't know how true that is tho...
i'm pretty sure that on freeways the tolerance is more than 3%. i went past a parked cop while on my Ps doing just under 110kph and they didn't do anything.
Ah yes, BUT, was that what your speedo was telling you?

My speedo says 110, but I am really doing 103ish, according to those electronic speed checkers, and I assume that police radars are a similar spec.

Which is why all this 3kph over is BS, most speedos are not that accurate.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #74
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
yeah i can, its called a calibration certificate...thats a legal doco and will hold up in court...ive seen it with my own eyes...and don't call me sunshine buddy!
Still can't definitavely prove that they focussed entirely on your vehicle, still can't prove no interference. As for the calibration certificate, you can't prove that the lidar wasn't accidentally dropped, rendering its calibration useless.

For example a laser based speed detection device in London recently clocked a cabbie doing 885kmh. Physically not possible but hey, they had a calibration certificate.

Quote: