Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink QLD To Again Lower Speed Tolerances

I know some of you don't like threads on speed cameras..but they are a fact of life and blatant revenue raising by the Governments of the day. QLD are again lowering speed tolerances. http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226811602106
Education is the answer...but is this next for QLD!!! United Kingdom, the Locomotive Acts (also known as Red Flag Laws) was a policy requiring self-propelled vehicles to be led by a pedestrian waving a red flag or carrying a lantern[citation needed] to warn bystanders of the vehicle's approach.
Firstly, at least three persons shall be employed to drive or conduct such locomotive, and if more than two waggons or carriages he attached thereto, an additional person shall be employed, who shall take charge of such waggons or carriages :Secondly, one of such persons, while any locomotive is in motion, shall precede such locomotive on foot by not less than sixty yards, and shall carry a red flag constantly displayed, and shall warn the riders and drivers of horses of the approach of such locomotives, and shall signal the driver thereof when it shall be necessary to stop, and shall assist horses, and carriages drawn by horses, passing the same,

Old 28-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: QLD To Again Lower Speed Tolerances

yeah! look that act is fine for you banana benders but down here we have things called "horseless carriages"......known to be far faster than the average person can walk.....hence new laws to reflect such outrageous speed.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Beyond me what they're thinking.

Surely there are more important things for the coppers to be doing than busting someone doing 102, 103 or 104 in a 100 zone.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

they've got to balance the books somehow
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
EVLKNEVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
I know some of you don't like threads on speed cameras
Those people should do the right thing and stay out of these threads.
EVLKNEVL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
MAD
Petro-sexual

"Our research has found there are 35 detections an hour in school zones which is way above those in other speed limit areas."

How many children were injured or died?
The only child deaths I've seen reported was someone trying to do a 3 point turn using a driveway, another when a kid rode across the front of a car at an intersection, and another when a kid ran behind behind a reversing vehicle.
None of those were speed related.
Old 28-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
Trump
bitch lasagne

This is epically tinfoil, but are the "authorities" pushing the (motoring) public's buttons itching for a revolt they can crush? Or are they pushing with these messed up laws knowing full well Joe Sixpack will keep taking it in the date with respect to the fines issued?
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I know some of you don't like threads on speed cameras..but they are a fact of life and blatant revenue raising by the Governments of the day. QLD are again lowering speed tolerances. http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226811602106
Education is the answer...but is this next for QLD!!! United Kingdom, the Locomotive Acts (also known as Red Flag Laws) was a policy requiring self-propelled vehicles to be led by a pedestrian waving a red flag or carrying a lantern[citation needed] to warn bystanders of the vehicle's approach.
Firstly, at least three persons shall be employed to drive or conduct such locomotive, and if more than two waggons or carriages he attached thereto, an additional person shall be employed, who shall take charge of such waggons or carriages :Secondly, one of such persons, while any locomotive is in motion, shall precede such locomotive on foot by not less than sixty yards, and shall carry a red flag constantly displayed, and shall warn the riders and drivers of horses of the approach of such locomotives, and shall signal the driver thereof when it shall be necessary to stop, and shall assist horses, and carriages drawn by horses, passing the same,
That's referring to a train.
A mate working on a train for the Bundaberg cane said they just hold it flat when crossing a road don't even bother to look or give a toss.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
tweeked
N/A all the way

When are they going to do something about 80 year olds mowing people down on footpaths and in shops? This is reported every few days.

No money in it!!!!!!

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Of course people could organise themselves and on the odd day decided to do 40km/hr in a 100 zone. As I recall peaceful protests achieved great things...
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
When are they going to do something about 80 year olds mowing people down on footpaths and in shops? This is reported every few days.

No money in it!!!!!!
When are they going to do something about old people reading the paper & starting these threads!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #12
EVLKNEVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I know some of you don't like threads on speed cameras
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLKNEVL
Those people should do the right thing and stay out of these threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post
When are they going to do something about old people reading the paper & starting these threads!
I want to help you.

Don't you think the simplest, most painless and efficient solution for you is to not open the thread in the first place?

That is, if certain topics on a public forum are giving you that much heartache, of course..
EVLKNEVL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post

No money in it!!!!!!
That was the brake wasnt it....
I dont usually contribute much to these threads anymore, but.
Only yesterday I pulled up at some lights, old dear next to me in her probably un roadworthy car.
2 lane road through some lights, lights go green she proceeds to just drive on into my lane. Lucky I was watching and nailed it in 2nd. She had absolutely no ******* idea what she had just done.
These are probably the reason insurance premiums are so high aswell.
Makes no money so not worth doing anything about these older drivers.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #14
nstg8a

It's not just oldies.

I have to admit I had a moment of inattention on Saturday morning that could have been very serious.
Going straight through a roundabout I didn't look to my right, don't think I even acknowledged there was a entry/exit on my right and I managed to cut of a car coming round the roundabout. Luckily they had good reactions and avoided testing my side intrusion bars.
Unluckily it was two members of qpol, in a patrol car. Which I somehow didn't see.
Didn't see them until the disco lights and siren came on.

Age doesn't matter, we can all have that one split second of being a dumb ***. I was lucky.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #15
dragons90

^unlucky
dragons90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #16
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I genuinely want to know how they deal with cars made before 2006 when the ADR's allowed a plus or minus 10% error in speedometers.

Not to mention newer vehicles...I know that with new tyres on our four wheel drive, the speedo is way out one way, and as the tyres wear, it goes the other way. Somewhere halfway along the tyre wear is a "sweet spot" where the speedo shows the genuine road speed. You notice it with fourbies because of the deep tread, but it happens with road cars too. My Celica at the moment is in the sweet spot, where the needle points exactly to 100kph at 100kph. As the tyres wear further (they're still legal with plenty of meat left) it will go out again.

That's why we need an allowance (as well as mechanical wear and tear as time goes on), not this stupid one or two kph tolerance they seem to want.

Car speedos are not an absolutely accurate scientific instrument...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #17
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
I genuinely want to know how they deal with cars made before 2006 when the ADR's allowed a plus or minus 10% error in speedometers.

Not to mention newer vehicles...I know that with new tyres on our four wheel drive, the speedo is way out one way, and as the tyres wear, it goes the other way. Somewhere halfway along the tyre wear is a "sweet spot" where the speedo shows the genuine road speed. You notice it with fourbies because of the deep tread, but it happens with road cars too. My Celica at the moment is in the sweet spot, where the needle points exactly to 100kph at 100kph. As the tyres wear further (they're still legal with plenty of meat left) it will go out again.

That's why we need an allowance (as well as mechanical wear and tear as time goes on), not this stupid one or two kph tolerance they seem to want.

Agree 100% and it's probably one of the reasons I use my gps for speed more than I use my speedo.
Mind you, how accurate are gps' really?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #18
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:

Car speedos are not an absolutely accurate scientific instrument. ..
Neither are the instruments used to issue the fines.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Agree 100% and it's probably one of the reasons I use my gps for speed more than I use my speedo.
Mind you, how accurate are gps' really?
A guy at work has been really into GPS devices since the early days, and he has thick books on the subject of accuracy (or variability thereof).
Our work Prados all have a "BigMate" system in them that tracks vehicle location and speed, and some people have been pinged wrongly for "speeding". The most memorable was one guy who got a serious "please explain" for doing 170kph.
Then someone thought to check the log to see when he did it, and the graph showed his speed go from a steady 100kph, to shoot up to 170kph, and then drop back down to 100kph, all within four seconds. Now, either someone has fitted rocket engines to that Prado, or something is wrong with the GPS...

I've even noticed on the GPS in both our Triton and my Celica (a Navman and a TomTom respectively), sometimes go from a strong signal to no signal to a strong signal again. The speed, in the meantime, will sit on some reading which is obviously wrong, and then within seconds snap back to "normal" again.
GPS is accurate...but it's still subject to slight variations, and when you are only allowed a kilometer or two either way, it's a worry.

Cruise control is another question...yes, it's wonderful...but it too isn't dead accurate. Our G6E varied slightly as you went up and down hills, the one in our Triton does so too according to the GPS. These are both very recent model cars,so it's not like they're worn out old dungers.

Either you want people to get where they're going and for traffic to flow efficiently...or you are encouraging everyone to sit on 90kph just to be absolutely sure they won't wander slightly over the limit on the highway.
Old 29-01-2014, 12:18 AM   #20
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did a GPS (TomTom) check on my Fez today..the GPS was 3km/hr slower than my speedo. The 3km/hr was the same at 60km/hr or 100km/hr.
So,technically I can do 63km/hr and be ok????!!!!
Old 29-01-2014, 01:11 AM   #21
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

James May on axing speed limits. http://au.transmission.blogs.topgear...-speed-limits/
Old 29-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #22
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:

I've questioned this many times. This thread of mine seemed to get the best info out of people.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ighlight=speed
Old 29-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #23
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I did a GPS (TomTom) check on my Fez today..the GPS was 3km/hr slower than my speedo. The 3km/hr was the same at 60km/hr or 100km/hr.
So,technically I can do 63km/hr and be ok????!!!!
That's supposedly how new cars are setup...they can only, under ADR's, read fast, so if you sit on an indicated speed you won't get fined as you will actually be going slower.
However, are you willing to bet your licence on the fact that every single car off the production line in fact reads a little fast...?

Given that on most modern speedos a couple of kph is only a needle width and you literally will not feel the difference as you drive along (I'd challenge anyone to detect without looking at the speedo in a modern quiet car if they were even going 5kph one way or the other at 100 to 110), it's a worry when for a momentary lapse or twitch of the foot on the pedal you can be fined and lose a point.

One interesting point I will add: I've looked at this and previous threads about speedo accuracy, and the one big thing I notice is how many people are saying how far out their speedo is from actual road speed. It would seem we just "accept" that speedos...a device fitted to our vehicles which is supposed to indicate exactly how fast we are going and let us know when we could be going too fast...are wildly variable and in no way accurate, no matter who makes the vehicle. Some are worse than others, some are plus, some are minus, but it seems they're all pretty much crap for indicating road speed.

Maybe the onus should be on manufacturers to do a better job...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 29-01-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 29-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #24
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLKNEVL View Post
I want to help you.

Don't you think the simplest, most painless and efficient solution for you is to not open the thread in the first place?

That is, if certain topics on a public forum are giving you that much heartache, of course..
Don't you think the simplest, most painless & efficient thing you could do is SAY NOTHING!!!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #25
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post
Don't you think the simplest, most painless & efficient thing you could do is SAY NOTHING!!!
Saying nothing is the reason we are in this mess!!!
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #26
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote,
One interesting point I will add: I've looked at this and previous threads about speedo accuracy, and the one big thing I notice is how many people are saying how far out their speedo is from actual road speed. It would seem we just "accept" that speedos...a device fitted to our vehicles which is supposed to indicate exactly how fast we are going and let us know when we could be going too fast...are wildly variable and in no way accurate, no matter who makes the vehicle. Some are worse than others, some are plus, some are minus, but it seems they're all pretty much crap for indicating road speed.

I am wondering how you get wildly inaccurate from that. They are fairly accurate and if they are out slightly then they are consistent. If it reads 5km/hour higher at 100km/hour it will always have the same error. Then people are talking about tyre wear. As the tyre wears the car is going slower for a given speedo reading so there will be no issue with copping a fine as time goes by.

All we will end up with is in Queensland is that everyone will be travelling below the posted speed limit. I don't like the focus of every km over is a killer. The engineer designing the road and posting a speed limit built in a margin of safety. The biggest issue is drivers not driving to the conditions. Just because a road has a speed limit, it doesnt mean that it is set in stone. If its pouring rain or busy then people should be adjusting speeds to suit.

Unfortunately police cannot enforce inattention on the road which is the biggest cause of accidents. They need something easily measurable so speed becomes the focus.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #27
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xauterus View Post
Unfortunately police cannot enforce inattention on the road which is the biggest cause of accidents. They need something easily measurable so speed becomes the focus.
And yet, ironically, while we focus on our speedo, we are diverting some portion of our attention from other matters.

"am I going 45, darn, I had better slow down .. what was that flurry of movement to the left ... may have been a police officer ... better check the speedo ... thud ... oh heck I hope that was only a ball"

We should largely forget speed detection, there are many great laws that focus on driver attention, and awareness of other road users.
And most of these are easily detected by a marked police car.
Keep to the left unless overtaking
Give way to vehicles already in the roundabout
Don't use a mobile phone while driving
Tailgating
Use of indicators

I could probably Keep going for days, but to put it simply

BEFORE we make new road rules,
BEFORE we restrict driving to the point that it is an ineffective means of transport

LET'S enforce the laws that that will make us better drivers !

..... in fact, lets make these the revenue spinners
$800 and 3 points for failure to keep left while not overtaking in an 80+ speed zone

- I would support that law, and it would help make the roads safer.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #28
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing about cars and speedo's, they are subject to so many different conditions , people expect these devices to be perfect , but all the while being subject to roads that have changing surfaces,
changes in incline, change in weather conditions, variations in driveline tolerances, and too top it off , our cars are becoming more and more computer controlled.

Also we then have variations in throttle control, response by nature of different size cars and mechanical specifications of many many different vehicles.
I haven't seen to many things perfect in this world just yet , cars and humans included,
I'm thinking a bit of leniancy for speed limits should be rethought
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #29
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I'm thinking a bit of leniancy for speed limits should be rethought
As are most people with a common sense thought about what would actually help the road toll.
Old 29-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #30
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So while we are all busy watching our speedos and not the road ahead....
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post