Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2022, 11:29 PM   #571
Superb

Default Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonACT View Post
I'll consider it. My comments to the person who I developed this for was, there's a very limited number of uses for this (only a handful of Cluster firmwares were created, and I've got a bunch of them already)... There's only one left that I'm really interested in (the GTF, which has a confirmed different Signal Configuration to the other FG2s).
Hey JasonACT, I have the GTF dash in my mk1 F6 that I did a FGX conversion a few years ago. If you still need the firmware I can share it with you once I get a proper ELM327. I have an old switched one that I can't find atm + VCX Nano & Tatrix Openport

I can't believe how far you have come with this, great job. It was many months ago since I last looked.
Superb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-01-2022, 10:03 AM   #572
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Hi Superb, my preference is to load it up on github with the other firmware files, so anyone can get it if they need it (eg. to rebuild a broken Cluster, with all the correct files, much like the ICC files already there). I've decided not to use it myself, since I've already added things to my ICC that are beyond what you get with the GTF firmware (64KB signal config is the important bit, the larger 400KB exe part is the same as in a normal Cluster). But that's not to say I'm not interested in seeing what the differences in the files are though! So it would be much appreciated. Who knows, it might be possible to expand what it does, with a bit of editing (signal config is all data and well structured).
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2022, 06:52 PM   #573
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

I might as well add this here:

Since I already did the work on it. And that the software will now let you save an image that's been processed through the B&W algorithm, so that was easy.

Also, since this thread was never moved to the FG forum, I should mention this software should work on the SZ and SZII.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:04 PM   #574
JasonACT
Away on leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakka351 View Post
Stop! Police! You're under dressed.
I guess we'll see soon, but that might be because his pants caught fire.
Old 10-01-2022, 08:21 PM   #575
jakka351

Quote:
I guess we'll see soon, but that might be because his pants caught fire.
Stop! Drop and Roll!
jakka351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2022, 08:44 PM   #576
Superb

Quote:
Hi Superb, my preference is to load it up on github with the other firmware files, so anyone can get it if they need it (eg. to rebuild a broken Cluster, with all the correct files, much like the ICC files already there). I've decided not to use it myself, since I've already added things to my ICC that are beyond what you get with the GTF firmware (64KB signal config is the important bit, the larger 400KB exe part is the same as in a normal Cluster). But that's not to say I'm not interested in seeing what the differences in the files are though! So it would be much appreciated. Who knows, it might be possible to expand what it does, with a bit of editing (signal config is all data and well structured).
Yes all in the name of preservation.
I'm happy to share it once a get a new ELM as I found my old one and it doesn't work correctly with your software.
I should have known it was a clone. A long time ago I flashed the firmware on a Focus IPC and the only way it would complete without errors was if it was direct wired to the cluster.
Recommendations on where I can get one?

Last edited by Superb; 10-01-2022 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:02 PM   #577
JasonACT
Away on leave

Forscan makes some permanent changes to the non-volatile-memory settings inside an ELM (or clone) which may make it suddenly work (To be honest, I don't want to do that change myself, since the owner doesn't know what's being done)... But if your ELM came with a physical switch, it probably will work, if you test out Forscan first through to the MS switch setting.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:12 PM   #578
Superb

Yes it has a switch and has always worked with Forscan.
It will connect but all I get is this
ATZ
ELM327 v1.5
ATM0
OK
Increasing the Security Level
CAN ERROR
CAN ERROR
CAN ERROR
CAN ERROR
CAN ERROR
CAN ERROR
CAN ERROR
CAN ERROR
CAN ERROR
CAN ERROR
Failed to enter secure mode
Old 10-01-2022, 09:16 PM   #579
JasonACT
Away on leave

Have you got the latest version off github? There's a check now in the software that the settings are right... If that doesn't work then searching ebay for Forscan ELM327 will generally give you the right items to buy. *** not bluetooth though ***

Last edited by JasonACT; 10-01-2022 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Make sure it's not bluetooth though.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:25 PM   #580
Superb

Yes latest version and the dongle is USB. Its hard not to buy a clone on eBay, I see what I can find. Thanks

BTW this is what I have now
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272851989367
Old 10-01-2022, 09:44 PM   #581
jakka351

Quote:
Have you got the latest version off github? There's a check now in the software that the settings are right... If that doesn't work then searching ebay for Forscan ELM327 will generally give you the right items to buy. *** not bluetooth though ***
I can confirm overpriced bluetooth dongle from that electronics will work with this - It doesnt read the ms-can pins though. But If you wire the ms can to the hs can pins on the dongle, will happily play with 125kbps.

Yes. I bluetoothed the eeprom out of my daily driven FPV cluster.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:45 PM   #582
jakka351

Exclamation Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superb View Post
Yes it has a switch and has always worked with Forscan.
It will connect but all I get is this
ATZ
ELM327 v1.5
ATM0
OK
CAN ERROR
CAN ERROR
CAN ERROR
CAN ERROR
CAN ERROR
CAN ERROR
CAN ERROR
CAN ERROR
CAN ERROR
CAN ERROR
Connect to forscan, let it read hs, then switch do a ms can read. Quit Forscan. Open Other program.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:46 PM   #583
JasonACT
Away on leave

It's weird, that's for sure - I knew people found it hard to get an ELM dongle that works with Fords, and I guess it's my fault for not wanting to program up the right settings (but in saying that, I know Forscan will not change a setting if it's reporting that it is correct already). I had to reset mine back to "factory" before I could see which options were turned on in the non-volatile-memory, long after the fact. I do like these Forscan guys - and I'm not intending to ever include firmware programming since they do it so well already.

But, yeah, what you're seeing should not be happening.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:47 PM   #584
Superb

Quote:
Connect to forscan, let it read hs, then switch do a ms can read. Quit Forscan. Open Other program.
Thanks but I did already try that. But you got me thinking of swaping the pins over. I've already cracked it open
Old 10-01-2022, 09:52 PM   #585
jakka351

Quote:
Thanks but I did already try that. But you got me thinking of swaping the pins over. I've already cracked it open
Oh you dont have to open it. I made a little loom that plugs was female obd and male obd, with the hs and ms hi and low wires swapping between plugs.
Old 10-01-2022, 09:54 PM   #586
jakka351

Quote:
Are you selecting MK1 or MK2 as appropriate for your vehicle - as that will also cause security access error.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:23 PM   #587
Superb

Quote:
Oh you dont have to open it. I made a little loom that plugs was female obd and male obd, with the hs and ms hi and low wires swapping between plugs.
It all good, I had already opened it up today to verify if it was a clone or not but yeah I actually did what you said with my patch loom.

ATZ
ELM327 v1.5
ATM0
OK
ERR94
ATSH720
ATR1
7F 02 11
7F 02 11
ATR0
ATSH7DF
023E80
ATSH720
ATR1
7F 02 11
7F 02 11
ATR0
ATSH7DF
023E80
ATSH720
ATR1
CAN ERROR
Old 10-01-2022, 10:47 PM   #588
JasonACT
Away on leave

That's more like it!

But...

I recently told the ELM327 to not include spaces in replies... And you have got them in spades... So your ELM clone is too old (ELM never made a v1.5 and they make that quite clear in their doco - and all clones say v1.5 but what you really have is a bit old and random and not really something I can support).
Old 10-01-2022, 10:52 PM   #589
Superb

That's ok, I just seen your post.
I've ordered a new one. I'll report back when it arrives.
It's local stock so hopefully by next week.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-FTDI...154756-20017-0

Thanks
Old 10-01-2022, 10:54 PM   #590
JasonACT
Away on leave

Looks just like mine
Old 10-01-2022, 10:57 PM   #591
jakka351

Quote:
It all good, I had already opened it up today to verify if it was a clone or not but yeah I actually did what you said with my patch loom.

ATZ
ELM327 v1.5
ATM0
OK
ERR94
ATSH720
ATR1
7F 02 11
7F 02 11
ATR0
ATSH7DF
023E80
ATSH720
ATR1
7F 02 11
7F 02 11
ATR0
ATSH7DF
023E80
ATSH720
ATR1
CAN ERROR
Do you have a mix of Fg1/Fg2/Fgx modules in your car
Old 10-01-2022, 11:04 PM   #592
JasonACT
Away on leave

^^^- That ELM doesn't even allow me to turn echo off!
Old 10-01-2022, 11:36 PM   #593
Superb

Quote:
Do you have a mix of Fg1/Fg2/Fgx modules in your car
Yes but that output was direct from my spare cluster on the bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonACT
Looks just like mine
Sweet
Old 12-01-2022, 11:42 PM   #594
jakka351

Hi private message sender regarding this thread,

Just for the record...it seems my sense of humour regarding Police Mode has confused some into thinking I am making a joke at their expense. If you are made uneasy by my silly comments (yes they are just jokes, and barely even funny if that), I ask you one question.

I'm not holding a gun....but why are you so triggered?

Please lighten up, everyone can get along there are no teams or agendas just people doing what they enjoy.

SO.
STOP
DROP
and ROLL

4 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2022, 10:36 PM   #595
JasonACT
Away on leave

Sheesh, some people! I'm sorry to hear that sad story Jakka, and for the record, there were no PMs in my inbox (for the best no doubt, it's almost full).

Being back at work this week, there's a lot less time to tinker... But today, without the GTF firmware file, I can say - all the IPC does is pass through 4 extra signals from HS CAN to MS CAN for the ICC to listen to. The details are in the picture.

I mean, how hard could it be to just edit that "Signal Configuration" to pass through 4 extra signals unmolested? Yeah, working on it... Damn firmware has hard coded address locations in that signal config - so whatever needs to be added can't change any other data's position... SOB.
4 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2022, 12:48 AM   #596
jakka351

Lightbulb Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

0x397 new can id to me. I am still chasing the mk1 boot images. As I don't really understand what I'm looking for I'm going back to square one.

Starting here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/V850
Old 16-01-2022, 01:25 AM   #597
JasonACT
Away on leave

I'm pretty sure I passed the Mk1 boot image details on to a mutual friend, but I decided not to progress anything on that because the ELM327 clone(s) wasn't really up to the task. I know you don't have to use those devices though - so ask around what's the missing bit(s) I guess... I was able to get the full Mk1 firmware (initial boot loader, firmware and RAM snapshot - more than I got with the Mk2).
Old 16-01-2022, 01:27 AM   #598
jakka351

And the search for the meaning of this:
Quote:
candump
enabling Logfile 'candump-0000-00-00_000000.log'
can0 RX - - 1D7 [7] remote request

cansniffer
93|ms | -- ID -- | data ... < can0 # l=20 h=100 t=0 slots=2 >
99999 | ---- 1D7 | FE 9D DF E6 63 F4 B6 ....c..
99999 | 0F745770 | 6B FB 3E B9 B9 DA DD DE k.>.....
[This is a socketcan read of the instrument cluster mk1 powering up in isolation of other modules. It was on the HS bus, not the MS]
Attached Files
File Type: txt 1d7.txt (302 Bytes, 6 views)

Last edited by jakka351; 16-01-2022 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Context
Old 20-01-2022, 07:39 PM   #599
JasonACT
Away on leave

While we wait for someone with a GTF Instrument Cluster who's willing to extract the special firmware... @Jakka - these are the "decoded" IDs that a Mk1 Cluster handles (reading the V850 document, the hardware register that deals with these is shifted 2 bits, and to be efficient, the programmers left the data that way - so you need to divide by 4 to work out the values):

1D7 does not appear there - I reckon it's a bogus signal when the chip is first configured, especially because it's only 7 bytes, and these things are configured to always generate 8 byte messages. Sorry mate.
Old 20-01-2022, 08:01 PM   #600
jakka351

Quote:
While we wait for someone with a GTF Instrument Cluster who's willing to extract the special firmware... @Jakka - these are the "decoded" IDs that a Mk1 Cluster handles (reading the V850 document, the hardware register that deals with these is shifted 2 bits, and to be efficient, the programmers left the data that way - so you need to divide by 4 to work out the values):

1D7 does not appear there - I reckon it's a bogus signal when the chip is first configured, especially because it's only 7 bytes, and these things are configured to always generate 8 byte messages. Sorry mate.
Hmmmm, I have the same remote frame request from the FDIM in the same conditions. That is also a V850 too. Maybe is just how socketcan reacts