Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Atypical Email, possible Spam

Got a curly one. Couple of emails to a Gmail account, from a UK Yahoo address that I don’t recognise. Both have attached .jpgs, one HDR. Headers check out as “normal”.

The kicker? I punched the Yahoo email address into a dummy text address line and it comes up as belonging to an iPhone/iPad/iMac as it’s immediately configured as an outgoing iMessage.

I’ve seen the scams where an incoming message is purportedly an iMessage - but the giveaway with them is that a reply isn’t. The sending address is not “weird” nor the email titles. They don’t come up on a thorough Googling, but that’s neither here nor there beyond dispelling the bleeding obvious.

Any suggestions on “safer” ways to dig deeper in case it is legitimate?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #2
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Cool Re: Atypical Email, possible Spam

i've been getting some totally bogus emails , lately my "apple ID" is insecure an i'm going to get a refund, i don,t click the links and junk the email, but they keep resending them, any way i don't even use apple stuff.

plus i got some weird messages on my phone, claiming my applications are going to be rejected??, no name from sender?? then they build it up to a "cut off date" and then i,m in trouble,
just scammers i reckon.

if it looks bogus , dodgy, it probably is and junk the email.

maybe you should check it out CB, maybe you've won a million dollars

Last edited by Pis-ton broke; 30-11-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Atypical Email, possible Spam

It was none of those usual type things. They get binned straight away.

In the end I ran a ruler over the probabilities, based on some details.
  • HDR photos - Apple thing
  • Email address linked to an Apple device
  • Time of sending was close to photo (jpg) time stamp and plausible UK time
So I opened one. Just some “here I am at Black Rock” images. Suspect someone’s email typing got autocorrected.
Old 30-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #4
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Got a curly one. Couple of emails to a Gmail account, from a UK Yahoo address that I don’t recognise. Both have attached .jpgs, one HDR. Headers check out as “normal”.

The kicker? I punched the Yahoo email address into a dummy text address line and it comes up as belonging to an iPhone/iPad/iMac as it’s immediately configured as an outgoing iMessage.

I’ve seen the scams where an incoming message is purportedly an iMessage - but the giveaway with them is that a reply isn’t. The sending address is not “weird” nor the email titles. They don’t come up on a thorough Googling, but that’s neither here nor there beyond dispelling the bleeding obvious.

Any suggestions on “safer” ways to dig deeper in case it is legitimate?
What is the email address? No such thing as a email address for iphone etc. It might be the url style ie mailto://

They can also use images to track whether you have opened an email. By using a unique name for the image ie http://someserver../i/2fhheh4h4.jgp where the jpg name is unique and only associated with that one email that has been sent. If the distance server sees a request for that image then it knows that you have opened it. Most mail clients will block that sort of behaviour.

Safest thing is to ignore the email
Old 30-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I was referring to when people set up an Apple device with ways other than a phone number to reach them in messaging (as opposed to email). Quite a lot of people unthinkingly use their go-to email address as an alternative. (And if they do, they’re often still opted into FaceTime calls to that email as well!)

Being that all of these checked out, I figured they were either an astoundingly stupid scammer with a new phone or a fumble-fingers.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 30-11-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Old 30-11-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol reminds me of James Vech

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4QsIQOevMLg

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #7
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
lol reminds me of James Vech

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4QsIQOevMLg
i've seen this before, its pretty funny,
i used get tell the paki solar sales guys ringing me. "i have solar" i say, many times, but they keep ringing up. now days, if i'm bored i'll string the call out as long as i can.
Old 30-11-2020, 03:47 PM   #8
raceteam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
No such thing as a email address for iphone etc.

Yes there is. You can (and by default do) assign an email address that can send and receive iMessage and Facetime as though it's a phone number.
raceteam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2020, 06:51 PM   #9
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Heads up on a paypal fake sms.

【PayPal】Dear Customer, some unsafe activities were reported on your account. For your safety, please regain access to your account at [url]https://paypal-safetylogin.help/?paypal[/.... don't click it!

Sounds like a smishing scam...
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2021, 12:52 PM   #10
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Heads up on a paypal fake sms.

【PayPal】Dear Customer, some unsafe activities were reported on your account. For your safety, please regain access to your account at [url]https://paypal-safetylogin.help/?paypal[/.... don't click it!

Sounds like a smishing scam...
i just want to second this, i got a fake paypal email message. it looked like the real deal, however, CHECK THE FROM, ADDRESS. and don't click anything.

to double checked this , and i signed into paypal, and no messages had been sent.
2 users like this post: